forum

Adding a "Watch Replay" option on fail [added]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +138
show more
Derekku
Yeah, this would need a seek bar. :P
Metruzero
+1 Support
-David
a
YGOkid8
so like, guys, since we can vote for stuff now, let's all push this up ^.^
[Sora]_old
Support
MDuh
I have no more Vote to add, but Support!
DerJoint
+1 support
VelperK

MDuh wrote:

Hadez
+1 support.
endlessHorizon

VelperK wrote:

MDuh wrote:

Hernan
Yes, please.
J U D G E
Don't have any more votes but i support :D.
Pizzicato
too bad i dont have a star to support this D:

+1 support!!
Yuzeyun
Dat thing. I've wanted it, and if it is possible to "review" it in the three modes ;www;

Support !

EDIT : what I'm the 50th star ?
ElxBeta
I totally support this. (even tho I don't have any votes left D:)
Vext_old
Would definitely be nice to see where I was going wrong on a certain part of a map sometimes. +1
Sy[K]es
Well, i don't think it would be use full watching your failing reply i mean, what's the use of watching your self fail :cry: Good Luck
YGOkid8

ExoSphere wrote:

Well, i don't think it would be use full watching your failing reply i mean, what's the use of watching your self fail :cry: Good Luck
to see how, where and why you failed
anongos
I can see where this would be useful, but what's wrong with just using the "No Fail" mod while practicing the maps that you know you would fail, then watching the replay of that?
YGOkid8

anongos wrote:

I can see where this would be useful, but what's wrong with just using the "No Fail" mod while practicing the maps that you know you would fail, then watching the replay of that?
cause let's say there's this song you play, and you fail towards the end of that. instead of using no fail and watching replay for the WHOLE song to get to that part, the watch replay option on fail can watch in that section. then if you want to rewatch, you don't have to go through the WHOLE song to get to that part.

pretty narrow scenario, but remember, an "option". not everyone will have the use for this, but the majority would (probably)
Musty
+1 Support for this.
Kei
+1 Support :D
Neruell
Why do you need to see where you failed? I do see that when I DO fail. If I do a stream and I see that I fail it, then I know that I failed there. Nothing for me to watch over and over, again and again. If I miss a note or a jump then I do see it straight away since it was me who was playing the map and I do notice where I fail. What would be pretty "nice" is if you could not just watch a replay but also "edit" it, like watch in slowmotion or just a simple pause or even save it to local disk like a normal finished replay because that would maybe help you see what you really did wrong and analyze it. Although I don't know if it is really that easy to do (with the "edit" feature, since the replay in Osu! is not just a video recorded like with Fraps of how you played because there are some cases out there where the replays fail while you didn't actually fail when you did it by yourself. So maybe that kind of feature would make the replay "worse" or even "broken" or simply false. Which will cause more trouble rather than use.
YGOkid8

Neruell wrote:

help you see what you really did wrong and analyze it
perfect summary of why we want this. of course a slow motion thingo would be nice as well, but we can't go asking for features for other stuff that aren't even made yet, can we? o.o
Neruell

YGOkid8 wrote:

Neruell wrote:

help you see what you really did wrong and analyze it
perfect summary of why we want this. of course a slow motion thingo would be nice as well, but we can't go asking for features for other stuff that aren't even made yet, can we? o.o
Why do you need to see where you failed? I do see that when I DO fail.
I doubt that you can really "see" what you did wrong or "analyze" anything while watching banned forever hr+ hd with a normal 220bpm speed or any other insane song out there with more than 160bpm with dt. For that I don't need to watch again how I failed with a normal speed. In most cases you do know what you did wrong, miss a note in a jump or you failed at streaming (unless you did close your eyes and now wondering what happened). It is not a big use of watching it and trying to "analyze" it without any possibility to at least stop the replay to see where you hit the not (or not) that lead to the fail. I would agree/support this if it would extend the normal "replay feature" with extras because only then it will make sense but again I don't know if it is even technically possible to make with the "recordings" that are used in Osu!.
YGOkid8
okay, there's no point eg. watching you play banned forever with hr + hd but what about the others who don't? besides, even if we know that we failed by missing a jump, beats in stream, etc. what about how? was it simply because i was clicking out of time? or maybe i moved too far instead? or maybe you thought you should've hit the note but you didn't and you're like wth why?

some things that go through my mind
Neruell

YGOkid8 wrote:

okay, there's no point eg. watching you play banned forever with hr + hd but what about the others who don't? besides, even if we know that we failed by missing a jump, beats in stream, etc. what about how? was it simply because i was clicking out of time? or maybe i moved too far instead? or maybe you thought you should've hit the note but you didn't and you're like wth why?

some things that go through my mind

Neruell wrote:

I doubt that you can really "see" what you did wrong or "analyze" anything while watching banned forever hr+ hd with a normal 220bpm speed or any other insane song out there with more than 160bpm with dt.
It was just an example. Seriously, if you play a map that you can fc and fail once you wouldn't really need to watch your replay over and over. Simple retry will fix that. The replay feature would just help by figuring out hard spots that you yourself can't manage after more than 1 try which will more likely happen in songs that are not so easy to fc. A simple replay will be useless to my mind without any possibility to analyze your own action and maybe improving it, which I doubt can be done without any extra features. (I wonder why people go to edit mode in Osu! and play just specific spots on a map, maybe to improve that one spot or at least to even see how you should play there.)
YGOkid8

Neruell wrote:

I wonder why people go to edit mode in Osu! and play just specific spots on a map, maybe to improve that one spot or at least to even see how you should play there.
no replay to see you screw up?
there's plenty of times where i've say screwed up a stream and failed, and i sometimes wonder "is it because i'm too fast or too slow? not sure" and it's hard to figure out when i'm playing at the same time. same with jumps whether it's because i didn't make the distance or i jumped too far.

and i will emphasise the keyword here in this topic again:

OPTION

of course not everyone will need it, just like how some people won't need other features like oh i dunno storyboarding stuff because they don't even map, let alone storyboard. clearly there are a large majority people here who would gain something from this feature and i just realised that this argument isn't really going anywhere so let's stop before a BAT/GMT comes and lock this up.
Neruell
Seems like you don't read my posts because I say that this feature is nice but it is not detailed explained because you can barely see what you did wrong with high speed (normal map speed).

There are tons of times when you play excellent and just fail the map at one spot (We do talk about a total fail, not a fail where you just miss 1 Note because then you can watch a replay of that). If you watch the replay it will end as fast as it did when you played the map (especially with the notes falling down animation of failing, which will be "very useful" for a replay, distracting you even more to be able to analyze what really happened) and you really must have a reaction time of Cookiezi to analyze what happened in slow-motion.

I don't want to say that this feature is useless and should be closed or w/e, all I want to say that you can suggest at least a function that will be more useful because I am sure if this feature will be implemented the next day someone will post a new request to improve this specific feature.

P.S. Any other replay functions in any other game has this kind of editing feature because it was approved as a very useful tool.
YGOkid8
in short, am i right in saying that you're saying: it's a good feature, but unless a bunch of other stuff are added to it, then it's not really worth having?
Neruell
Pretty much yes, it's like having an Osu! build from beta in 2007 and using it all the time. I am just suggesting further improvements that can be additionaly done to make this feature become not just good but awesome.
YGOkid8
hm, okay then. although like i said, there's not really any point suggesting features for a feature that might NOT become a feature. i think it's better to wait for a confirmation that a watch replay option on fail will be implemented, and then BEFORE it's actually implemented, suggest ideas for the feature to make it better and ultimately worth having. that sound good?
UnderminE

Neruell wrote:

Why do you need to see where you failed? I do see that when I DO fail. If I do a stream and I see that I fail it, then I know that I failed there. Nothing for me to watch over and over, again and again. If I miss a note or a jump then I do see it straight away since it was me who was playing the map and I do notice where I fail.
This.

But. I'll support this option cos sometimes I do pretty much high combo on a map and if I fail that time, then I need to keep its replay or sth else. So support from me too.
theowest
You play = score goes to total score
You fail = continue to play but it's not ranked from that point, no score to total score but the non-failed part you just failed is going to total score (ranked).
Pressing escape once will just open the normal retry screen or watever like usual. And you can retry as usual if you want.
Compared to no fail it's not 0,50 times the score and you'll be able to replay your fail later.
You just continue to play after you've failed.
When you've played after you've played you'll be able to watch your replay and such.. And of course, the play won't be ranked. Therefore no fail has still got a functionality.

somewhat like multiplayer.
Otherwise it's just like no fail + spun out. But that doesn't give you score to the total score! D:
And no fail gives you even less score.

And when you've played it when you've failed, you just go to the score screen and can watch your failed replay if you want! \:D/

Isn't this what we all wanted?
This is good for everyone. I don't think anyone will dislike this.
It's PERFECT for those who doesn't want A ranks combined with sudden death. You fail but continue if you miss and only the non-failed part goes ranked to your total score! \:D/

I hope you guys understand.
OzzyOzrock
But normally if you fail it DOES add to total score, no?
Starrodkirby86
To theowest's suggestion, if that were to be implemented, then NoFail would lose a lot of its usefulness.
theowest

Starrodkirby86 wrote:

To theowest's suggestion, if that were to be implemented, then NoFail would lose a lot of its usefulness.
Didn't you guys know?

It would not lose it usefulness. It's often used for very hard beatmaps for those who can't beat it. Like TAG4s or noobs on non-super hard beatmaps. Their no fail score becomes ranked to the leaderboards etc. This is not the case for the suggestion I've suggested.

OzzyOzrock wrote:

But normally if you fail it DOES add to total score, no?
Yes.
After you've failed, you just play but whatever your playing is not getting ranked.
The non-failed part you just played is getting ranked tho, to the total score. Level and such, like usual.
Sakura
peppy has been against a "practice" mode or anything of the sorts, i dont see how continuing after failing would be a any different, i do however dont mind being able to save the replay after failing, so im supporting that (if i didnt already, thread's kinda long and ont wanna look for a post of mine there)
Ussuru
Me wants.
Andruchon
saving replay would be nice too...
show more