forum

New(ish) CtB player. Any good tips and beatmaps to start with?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sugar_owo
It may seem like I'm a good CtB player who understands this stuff but I don't really know the actual basics of CtB. I've recently wanted to find a good new game mode that I'm not the biggest fan of and see what I can do. This thread may sound stupid since it's so simple of a game mode but if you have any basics/good and easy beat maps to start off with then I'd be happy to look at it for help! I hope I can get better and talk to more in this community, thanks! :D
HecaRegina
Welcome to CtB! I hope you play this game mode as we need more people to actively play it!

I don't think I'm qualified to tell you what basic skills needs to be covered given my rank. Just a 4 digit at CtB so I'm afraid of telling you wrong things.

However, do look at the pinned threads for CtB as they may help you with what you need. Especially in regards to what each difficulty (Cup, Salad, Platter etc) means and the game elements they have.

I can also tell you this is common across all game modes: Mindset is important.
Need a positive mindset while playing Negative ones can really impact you terribly that it can hinder your development and ability to score well. If this happens, stop playing and if need to, take a break for a few days before coming back.

I also recommend download as many CtB maps here: community/forums/topics/330552

I hope to see you around and maybe we can play CtB as newbies if you want ^^
Nikolai

Sugar_owo wrote:

It may seem like I'm a good CtB player
those 200pp sure does make you seem like a top player
THAT_otaku

HecaRegina wrote:

Welcome to CtB! I hope you play this game mode as we need more people to actively play it!
I Second this ^ Welcome!

HecaRegina wrote:

Considering there's only 4000 ranked CTB maps, might as well get em all! Even if you aren't interested in score farming, it's quite fun to slowly progress through them all. A lot of good songs among them that haven't been mapped in other modes too.

Don't neglect converts though, despite them being messy and having weird patterns, they can be just as enjoyable and challenging.

HecaRegina wrote:

(Cup, Salad, Platter etc)
This comes with every gamemode, but stick to each difficulty until you can comfortably play them, theres no point trying platters if you can't time dashes etc. lol

as always though, pls enjoy game :)
Joon Yorigami

HecaRegina wrote:

I don't think I'm qualified to tell you what basic skills needs to be covered given my rank. Just a 4 digit at CtB so I'm afraid of telling you wrong things.

However, do look at the pinned threads for CtB as they may help you with what you need. Especially in regards to what each difficulty (Cup, Salad, Platter etc) means and the game elements they have.

I can also tell you this is common across all game modes: Mindset is important.
Need a positive mindset while playing Negative ones can really impact you terribly that it can hinder your development and ability to score well. If this happens, stop playing and if need to, take a break for a few days before coming back.

I hope to see you around and maybe we can play CtB as newbies if you want ^^

It seems that they have said all the basic things so I'll just add a few miscellaneous things;

If you want to improve reading, I'd recommend sticking in a position at only a certain height, since you might get confused if you keep switching at looking at the catcher and looking at the fruits

For hidden, though I'm not an expert, I'd suggest you treat it like hidden on standard (or taiko) where the beat disappears 1 beat before where you actually catch it. I'd also recommend looking at your catcher more since it's more important to be precise with your aim as you might miss the fruit.
mulraf

Sugar_owo wrote:

I've recently wanted to find a good new game mode that I'm not the biggest fan of and see what I can do.
Really good attitude. I started with standard and only got into the other gamemodes to get the jack of all trades achievement tbh :D But in the end i ended up liking catch equally and also taiko. I didn't end up liking mania but it's definitely good to have tried it because you might end up liking mania and not catch. We can't know.

I don't know if there's that much to tell you since you really are still at the beginning. I think it's good that you are seemingly playing a good mix of everything. Downloading more (specific) maps and playing a good portion of them as others said doesn't sound like a bad start. At the beginning the maps or the gamemode may seem a bit monotonous, but that came with the difficulty for me (around 3* started to become real fun). It's always good to (calmly) learn the fundamentals.