forum

Unoffical Updated OSX osu! Wineskin Package

posted
Total Posts
show more
kong4ndrew

Akael wrote:

Stopped working, due to Catalina coming update...

Same problem. After updating to latest update, no longer opens. Is it possible to revert this latest update if I can't open client at all?
Sponge

kong4ndrew wrote:

Akael wrote:

Same problem. After updating to latest update, no longer opens

did you also get this?
kong4ndrew

Sponge wrote:

kong4ndrew wrote:

Akael wrote:

did you also get this?

Yep. I think it also erased songs and skins folder. Tried to install osu lazer and part of the instructions is to copy songs and skins manually but can't find them anymore TT
Sponge

kong4ndrew wrote:

Sponge wrote:

kong4ndrew wrote:

Akael wrote:

did you also get this?

Yep. I think it also erased songs and skins folder. Tried to install osu lazer and part of the instructions is to copy songs and skins manually but can't find them anymore TT

oh no... i was actually able to save my folders before i uninstalled to try reinstalling. the reinstallation of course didnt work, because it automatically checked for updates =_=
kong4ndrew
I'm so sad right now... I think it's meant for Catalina and I think Catalina doesn't come out until September. Smart of you though to keep a back up. Last time I backed up was more than a year ago gg
Topic Starter
Technocoder
kong4ndrew

kong4ndrew wrote:

Sponge wrote:

kong4ndrew wrote:

Akael wrote:

did you also get this?

Are you absolutely certain it's deleted the Songs folder? Perhaps the update has removed the shortcut, you can find the direct folder to the Songs folder through Contents > Resources > drive_c > osu! > Songs. It's highly unlikely that an update would delete user files.
Kpham9906
Can someone help me? I was hoping to play some osu today and so I launched up the application. I updated the game because there was an update but then the game just crashed and shows this message, " The program osu!.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience." After that I tried to relaunch it but there was no luck and that message was the only thing that popped up.

EDIT: oops didn't read, guess everyone is having that problem
bBob_21
I can't open the game anymore. I posted what it says after I launch the game and the LastRunWine.log
What it says after I opened the game: https://imgur.com/a/bxPR1QS

Log:
0012:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x0 1 0x0 0 stub
0012:fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
002d:err:ntoskrnl:IoCreateDriver failed to insert driver L"\\Driver\\WineHID" in tree
002d:err:ntoskrnl:IoCreateDriver failed to insert driver L"\\Driver\\WineHID" in tree
0009:fixme:thread:SetThreadStackGuarantee (0x33fcc4): stub
Kpham9906

bBob_21 wrote:

I can't open the game anymore. I posted what it says after I launch the game and the LastRunWine.log
What it says after I opened the game: https://imgur.com/a/bxPR1QS

Log:
0012:fixme:process:SetProcessDEPPolicy (1): stub
0009:fixme:thread:SetThreadStackGuarantee (0x33fcc4): stub

It seems that everyone is having that problem after installing the latest update on osu!
kong4ndrew
@Technocoder

Just checked right now, and can't find it. It might not have happened from the update but when I tried to install lazer. In any case, can't find songs or skins or any .osz files.
beaw

Technocoder wrote:

kong4ndrew

kong4ndrew wrote:

Sponge wrote:

kong4ndrew wrote:

Akael wrote:

did you also get this?

Are you absolutely certain it's deleted the Songs folder? Perhaps the update has removed the shortcut, you can find the direct folder to the Songs folder through Contents > Resources > drive_c > osu! > Songs. It's highly unlikely that an update would delete user files.

Mine did not delete the Songs/Skins folder (yet?)...
Kpham9906
I've found out that xquartz works and can launch latest osu stable update but you will have 20-30 fps :(

EDIT: I can't seem to launch osu now, I have no idea what I did. :/
oxyjinned
"The program osu!.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close" "This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine." ---- this is the issue i received after trying to open osu! may i know if there's any updates to resolve this issue soon?

its so depressing that i cant play osu anymore so please help!! ;;
Ghadius28
I have the same problem, i started playing osu! and i saw that there was an update. So i clicked on "update" and the game won't run.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Kpham9906

oxyjinned wrote:

"The program osu!.exe has encountered a serious problem and needs to close" "This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine." ---- this is the issue i received after trying to open osu! may i know if there's any updates to resolve this issue soon?

Everyone one is having that problem right now and sadly there is no solution yet besides changing from wineskin to xquartz but that will make your game very laggy
Secured
Hey Technocoder I've had the same problem as many others with the recent update.

Problem details:
After attempting to update osu I've have gotten the same msg every time I try to open osu, https://imgur.com/a/bxPR1QS.

What I'm using:
https://imgur.com/a/8lVOjE0

Program error details:
https://imgur.com/a/J9bLGs3

What I have done to try and combat the problem:
https://imgur.com/a/pB78Zk7

Looks like only way to fix it is using Kpham9906's way of replacing wineskin with xquartz, even though it makes the game very laggy like he said. I'm not sure if the log files I got can help you but I do hope this problem gets resolved quickly for everyone's sake.

Edit: People are saying to replace osu!.exe but I have already done it and osu doesn't open at all.

Edit 2: I've been re-downloading all day and for some reason it works now.
strwbmilk
im having the same problem, i've tried everything but nothing seems to work. it's just depressing, idk what to do.
Potato242
This worked for me but I don't know for everyone else.
Download the osu!install.exe and rename it to osu!.exe, then replace the osu!.exe on your osu folder with this one.
oxyjinned

Kpham9906 wrote:

oxyjinned wrote:

Everyone one is having that problem right now and sadly there is no solution yet besides changing from wineskin to xquartz but that will make your game very laggy

sigh looks like i'll have to wait then ;; thank you doe for the alternative suggestion!!
bBob_21

Potato242 wrote:

Download the osu!install.exe and rename it to osu!.exe, then replace the osu!.exe on your osu folder with this one.

Can confirm, problem is fixed but performance is bad.

Nvm it works well now just leave it for a bit.
oxyjinned

Potato242 wrote:

WAIT HOWWW im so confused ;;

UPDATE: THANK YOUUU I FINALLY GOT IT TO WORK!!!! OMY IM SO THANKFUL THNKKK U :")
strwbmilk

Potato242 wrote:

ok this works but when i open it it says to update so should i update it or leave it?

UPDATE: ITS WROKING JUST FINE. THANK U SO MUCH!!!LIFE SAVER
Topic Starter
Technocoder
To be clear, are you guys running on macOS Mojave (or below) or macOS Catalina?
In any case, if you're able to get it running on XQuartz, then it probably means that some part of the graphics driver for Wine doesn't work well with osu! The official Wineskin engines haven't been updated for some time now, and I can't reproduce the problem on my machine.

For this reason then, @slc's Wineskin wrapper may work better than mine at the moment, which I'll directly quote here:

slc wrapper

slc wrote:

hi everyone!

i somehow managed to make a modern osu! wineskin from scratch. it actually works, and i've been testing it for the past hour or so on macOS mojave. it's pretty good, so i'll be releasing it here if that's okay.

here's what's different:
  1. uses the wineskin fork mentioned by Electric_espeon: https://github.com/vitor251093/wineskin. much more stable and reliable than original wineskin. i used the binaries from here: https://github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer
  2. runs wine 4.0-rc3 (WS9Wine4.0-rc3) instead of wine 2.22 (WS9Wine2.22)
  3. uses wineskin wrapper version 2.8.8beta6 instead of 2.6.2

stuff that was fixed:
  1. previously, large image assets such as map backgrounds or skin elements would overload the game. these are now handled fine without any freezing (for example, beasttrollmc's new noel skin and sotarks's pp compilation no longer hang the game)
  2. i haven't tested this for over a day yet, but it seems to be much more stable now, being less prone to crashes!
  3. it seems that most of the graphical lag has been eliminated (for the most part), seems to be less screen tearing (i use 60fps limiter and played for a bit, was buttery smooth)
  4. links no longer take 5-30 minutes to open in your browser (thank god), now open instantly

stuff that wasn't fixed:
  1. cjk fonts still don't work correctly
  2. tccd (contact daemon on macOS) keeps on hogging CPU, causing lag (for now, you can just kill it from activity monitor)

stuff that wasn't tested at all:
  1. f.lux (i use night shift)
  2. multi monitor/screen

download: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=16lR87eCVYtpjiK6KKA4rNghfpimnj1aE&export=download

as always, make sure the app isn't sandboxed by moving it somewhere, and right click > open because it's unsigned and gatekeeper doesn't like that

if you are getting a "osu! can't be opened. You should move it to the trash." message, open Terminal and run this command with the path to the osu!.app:

sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine "~/path/to/my/osu\!.app"

special thanks to Technocoder for his work and giving me inspiration, Electric_espeon for mentioning the fork in the first place

happy holidays and stuff! 🎄 <3

(btw, this wineskin doesn't necessitate xquartz, just like the original from technocoder)

The installation instructions are pretty much the same as mine, and the Wineskin engine has been updated to be far newer than the one in my wrapper. Please let me know if slc's wrapper works better.

Seems like this advice is working well for most people:

Potato242 wrote:

Perhaps, I missed the breaking update?
Kpham9906
O wow, I should've just done that, I reinstalled the whole game. My BEATMAPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CelestialKitty
a new update broke osu, when i try to open osu the Wine debugger pops up and a message reads
Program error
the program osu!.exe ha encountured a serious problem and needs to close.we are sorry for the inconvinince

This can be caused by a problem in the program or a deficiency in Wine.

Should I update Wine or just delete Osu and try to reinstall? Though, I do not know how to update Wine and it is a huge ordeal to reinstall Osu.

I can message you the backtrack.txt file if you need it.
Topic Starter
Technocoder
Please read the reply I've posted two posts before which I have quoted here:
Specifically that, if you update the osu! executable manually, it should work again.

Technocoder

Technocoder wrote:

To be clear, are you guys running on macOS Mojave (or below) or macOS Catalina?
In any case, if you're able to get it running on XQuartz, then it probably means that some part of the graphics driver for Wine doesn't work well with osu! The official Wineskin engines haven't been updated for some time now, and I can't reproduce the problem on my machine.

For this reason then, @slc's Wineskin wrapper may work better than mine at the moment, which I'll directly quote here:

[box=slc wrapper]

slc wrote:

hi everyone!

i somehow managed to make a modern osu! wineskin from scratch. it actually works, and i've been testing it for the past hour or so on macOS mojave. it's pretty good, so i'll be releasing it here if that's okay.

here's what's different:
  1. uses the wineskin fork mentioned by Electric_espeon: https://github.com/vitor251093/wineskin. much more stable and reliable than original wineskin. i used the binaries from here: https://github.com/Gcenx/WineskinServer
  2. runs wine 4.0-rc3 (WS9Wine4.0-rc3) instead of wine 2.22 (WS9Wine2.22)
  3. uses wineskin wrapper version 2.8.8beta6 instead of 2.6.2

stuff that was fixed:
  1. previously, large image assets such as map backgrounds or skin elements would overload the game. these are now handled fine without any freezing (for example, beasttrollmc's new noel skin and sotarks's pp compilation no longer hang the game)
  2. i haven't tested this for over a day yet, but it seems to be much more stable now, being less prone to crashes!
  3. it seems that most of the graphical lag has been eliminated (for the most part), seems to be less screen tearing (i use 60fps limiter and played for a bit, was buttery smooth)
  4. links no longer take 5-30 minutes to open in your browser (thank god), now open instantly

stuff that wasn't fixed:
  1. cjk fonts still don't work correctly
  2. tccd (contact daemon on macOS) keeps on hogging CPU, causing lag (for now, you can just kill it from activity monitor)

stuff that wasn't tested at all:
  1. f.lux (i use night shift)
  2. multi monitor/screen

download: https://drive.google.com/uc?id=16lR87eCVYtpjiK6KKA4rNghfpimnj1aE&export=download

as always, make sure the app isn't sandboxed by moving it somewhere, and right click > open because it's unsigned and gatekeeper doesn't like that

if you are getting a "osu! can't be opened. You should move it to the trash." message, open Terminal and run this command with the path to the osu!.app:

sudo xattr -rd com.apple.quarantine "~/path/to/my/osu\!.app"

special thanks to Technocoder for his work and giving me inspiration, Electric_espeon for mentioning the fork in the first place

happy holidays and stuff! 🎄 <3

(btw, this wineskin doesn't necessitate xquartz, just like the original from technocoder)

The installation instructions are pretty much the same as mine, and the Wineskin engine has been updated to be far newer than the one in my wrapper. Please let me know if slc's wrapper works better.

Seems like this advice is working well for most people:

Potato242 wrote:

Perhaps, I missed the breaking update?
[/box]
Launchpad
if you want to play osu!, do NOT update to macOS Catalina, it doesn't support 32 bit apps and our wineskins are 32 bit. allegedly the wine wiki says that .NET under 64 bit wine isn't supported but i haven't tested.

also, i found a possible fix to the performance issue. if you enable retina mode in the mac driver's options, it basically eliminates the lag from swapping buffers. but then the game looks like this:

it looks like the way osu! draws to the window when retina mode is on is wonky. luckily switching to your native, true screen resolution from a downscaled one fixes that. the mouse cursor also shrinks for some reason? winedrv might be setting the display mode, which is also why quickly cmd+tabbing is no longer possible.

also, performance is improved greatly, but it appears that the dimensions of the screen are different now and your sensitivity settings will have to be adjusted.

osu! runs at almost windows level performance with retina mode on, so that's pretty great. i can now uncap my framerate and run at my real resolution.
Akael

slc wrote:

if you want to play osu!, do NOT update to macOS Catalina, it doesn't support 32 bit apps and our wineskins are 32 bit. allegedly the wine wiki says that .NET under 64 bit wine isn't supported but i haven't tested.

also, i found a possible fix to the performance issue. if you enable retina mode in the mac driver's options, it basically eliminates the lag from swapping buffers. but then the game looks like this:

it looks like the way osu! draws to the window when retina mode is on is wonky. luckily switching to your native, true screen resolution from a downscaled one fixes that. the mouse cursor also shrinks for some reason? winedrv might be setting the display mode, which is also why quickly cmd+tabbing is no longer possible.

also, performance is improved greatly, but it appears that the dimensions of the screen are different now and your sensitivity settings will have to be adjusted.

osu! runs at almost windows level performance with retina mode on, so that's pretty great. i can now uncap my framerate and run at my real resolution.

Where are the "retina mode", "mac driver's options" ?
SevenChords
i've read the same about osu not going to run on macos catalina, and i was wondering how hard it could be to finally, after all these years, make a native macos version for the old client, without the need of any wrapper to support windows features, i mean, lazer already has a native macos version that doesn't require wine or anything like that, why can't there be one for the old client? can't be that hard, can it?
Akael
Well all those problems on Mojave finally made me do the switch, i installed windows on my mac trough bootcamp. And it is a delightful.
The game runs smoother than smoothie, resolution is max (unlike the 1440x900 blurry mess), dropped frames are...None, response time is chilling in the low 3-2-1 ms. A pleasure.

Thanks to the mac SSD, shutting off, switching to windows and getting to osu doesn't take more than 30 seconds.

Only major dropback that comes to my mind is that you need at least 37Go to make the windows partition, and you need to add some Gos to make room for osu, which is going to get bigger with time eventually, so that maybe a lot on small configs..
Then there is the fact that it isn't on you os x partition, so away from your other stuff.
An other point maybe, is that the windows instalation is time consuming, and kinda buggy at the very first launch (it is ok after reboot tough).

It would be the best if it was available native, but well this does it... ┐(゚~゚)┌
Launchpad

Akael wrote:

Where are the "retina mode", "mac driver's options" ?

10 days late, better late than never (was on vacation, sorry.)

right click osu! in finder, show package contents, right click wineskin, open (you need to do this or else gatekeeper will complain), then press set screen options

although... if you can play with the stuttering, i'd rather you do that because using retina mode makes osu! kinda "unstable"

edit: just discovered it breaks every time you open the game so you have to turn on/turn off letterboxing to get it fix itself? ugh.

SevenChords wrote:

i've read the same about osu not going to run on macos catalina, and i was wondering how hard it could be to finally, after all these years, make a native macos version for the old client, without the need of any wrapper to support windows features, i mean, lazer already has a native macos version that doesn't require wine or anything like that, why can't there be one for the old client? can't be that hard, can it?

the old client is written in C# and uses .NET Framework, neither of which play well with macOS. afaik, it would be an extreme pain to try to get this to work on macs, possibly involving a total codebase rewrite (which is what lazer is, cough cough) if there's not some kind of magical compat layer. (macs use Swift/Objective-C and Cocoa instead of C# and .NET Framework.)

and i'm not ppy, but if i had to guess the osu! codebase has accumulated lots of technical debt over the years since 2007. when you consider the difference in framework/language in addition to that, it's kinda overwhelming: it would take weeks and weeks of hacking to even possibly get the old client to work, and even then it wouldn't be worth it; lazer is already in progress.
peppy
"can't be that hard"

this is where i kindly tell you to do it yourself ;). there *is* a reason we threw away everything and started lazer from scratch after over a year of attempting to make the osu-stable codebase work.

As an update, lazer is going amazingly and if you don't care about ranking it is in a super-usable state.

As for forward support for this wine build, I have an updated wrapper running WS10 and am in the process of testing it against catalina. Check back over the next day or two.
peppy
A new official release is available here. This one runs 64-bit and should be fine on catalina, apart from maybe not being signed. Please make sure to copy your data files manually. Keep the old app around rather than overwriting it, just in case.

Please report back how it works. If all is good I will post against osx.ppy.sh and we can deprecate this thread.
Topic Starter
Technocoder
peppy

peppy wrote:

A new official release is available here. This one runs 64-bit and should be fine on catalina, apart from maybe not being signed. Please make sure to copy your data files manually. Keep the old app around rather than overwriting it, just in case.

Please report back how it works. If all is good I will post against osx.ppy.sh and we can deprecate this thread.

"osu! is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the bin. is what it says, both extracted using Archive Utility and The Unarchiver and the unzip command. Running macOS Mojave. unzip doesn't show any integrity errors however.

Edit: chmod +x or chmod 777 also does not work.
peppy
I tested unzipping here and it worked fine. You have to 100% ensure you use the built-in unarchive tool, else the execute bit will be lost. I'll use .dmg for the final distribution.
abeq
Same thing as technocoder...and I used the built in tool.
But it does work if you run the WineskinLauncher through the terminal.
peppy
Topic Starter
Technocoder
Does not work with both Archive Utility (built in extractor) and the Unarchiver. With or without chmod +x. I tried opening the Wineskin application itself and it gives: Error writing file. The folder "exec2756391001.bat" doesn't exist. As stated by Abequinn, opening Contents/MacOS/WineskinLauncher directly from terminal works fine.

Edit: Notable error in Console:
Error
AMFI: Check-fix enabled for binary '/private/var/folders/m1/9y08_z153td2s0mqp0yxw0mr0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/1B854C68-2828-4A61-AB90-30C76E8A3102/d/osu!.app/Contents/MacOS/WineskinLauncher' with TeamID 'RD56V43GW9', identifier 'com.yourcompany.WineskinLauncher': broken signature treated as unsigned without privileges. This workaround will not work for software built on or after 10.12.

Upon attempting to codesign manually (sudo codesign --force --sign - osu\!.app), I get: osu!.app: unsealed contents present in the bundle root which might be the osu! icon?

Edit: Fixed with sudo xattr -rc osu!.app, which makes osu! run fine so it does seem to be a code signing or gatekeeper issue.

Edit: Couldn't get the default songs to load for some reason but beatmaps loaded manually work perfectly fine. Japanese characters show as boxes though which was probably expected.

Edit: Editor works fine for the most part. Menu bar still shows as a black strip but Song Setup window now shows fine.
peppy
Aha I must have local files whicha re allowing this to run for me. Should be able to fix that up.
peppy
@Technocoder the plan is to generate a script to build this from scratch, so it can be run by users that don't want to consume large binary releases. Are there any things missing from the new build that worked in yours? I know that CJK support should be easy to add back by installing the fake font mappings, at least.
show more