forum

Unoffical Updated OSX osu! Wineskin Package

posted
Total Posts
show more
Launchpad
if you want to play osu!, do NOT update to macOS Catalina, it doesn't support 32 bit apps and our wineskins are 32 bit. allegedly the wine wiki says that .NET under 64 bit wine isn't supported but i haven't tested.

also, i found a possible fix to the performance issue. if you enable retina mode in the mac driver's options, it basically eliminates the lag from swapping buffers. but then the game looks like this:

it looks like the way osu! draws to the window when retina mode is on is wonky. luckily switching to your native, true screen resolution from a downscaled one fixes that. the mouse cursor also shrinks for some reason? winedrv might be setting the display mode, which is also why quickly cmd+tabbing is no longer possible.

also, performance is improved greatly, but it appears that the dimensions of the screen are different now and your sensitivity settings will have to be adjusted.

osu! runs at almost windows level performance with retina mode on, so that's pretty great. i can now uncap my framerate and run at my real resolution.
Akael

slc wrote:

if you want to play osu!, do NOT update to macOS Catalina, it doesn't support 32 bit apps and our wineskins are 32 bit. allegedly the wine wiki says that .NET under 64 bit wine isn't supported but i haven't tested.

also, i found a possible fix to the performance issue. if you enable retina mode in the mac driver's options, it basically eliminates the lag from swapping buffers. but then the game looks like this:

it looks like the way osu! draws to the window when retina mode is on is wonky. luckily switching to your native, true screen resolution from a downscaled one fixes that. the mouse cursor also shrinks for some reason? winedrv might be setting the display mode, which is also why quickly cmd+tabbing is no longer possible.

also, performance is improved greatly, but it appears that the dimensions of the screen are different now and your sensitivity settings will have to be adjusted.

osu! runs at almost windows level performance with retina mode on, so that's pretty great. i can now uncap my framerate and run at my real resolution.

Where are the "retina mode", "mac driver's options" ?
SevenChords
i've read the same about osu not going to run on macos catalina, and i was wondering how hard it could be to finally, after all these years, make a native macos version for the old client, without the need of any wrapper to support windows features, i mean, lazer already has a native macos version that doesn't require wine or anything like that, why can't there be one for the old client? can't be that hard, can it?
Akael
Well all those problems on Mojave finally made me do the switch, i installed windows on my mac trough bootcamp. And it is a delightful.
The game runs smoother than smoothie, resolution is max (unlike the 1440x900 blurry mess), dropped frames are...None, response time is chilling in the low 3-2-1 ms. A pleasure.

Thanks to the mac SSD, shutting off, switching to windows and getting to osu doesn't take more than 30 seconds.

Only major dropback that comes to my mind is that you need at least 37Go to make the windows partition, and you need to add some Gos to make room for osu, which is going to get bigger with time eventually, so that maybe a lot on small configs..
Then there is the fact that it isn't on you os x partition, so away from your other stuff.
An other point maybe, is that the windows instalation is time consuming, and kinda buggy at the very first launch (it is ok after reboot tough).

It would be the best if it was available native, but well this does it... ┐(゚~゚)┌
Launchpad

Akael wrote:

Where are the "retina mode", "mac driver's options" ?

10 days late, better late than never (was on vacation, sorry.)

right click osu! in finder, show package contents, right click wineskin, open (you need to do this or else gatekeeper will complain), then press set screen options

although... if you can play with the stuttering, i'd rather you do that because using retina mode makes osu! kinda "unstable"

edit: just discovered it breaks every time you open the game so you have to turn on/turn off letterboxing to get it fix itself? ugh.

SevenChords wrote:

i've read the same about osu not going to run on macos catalina, and i was wondering how hard it could be to finally, after all these years, make a native macos version for the old client, without the need of any wrapper to support windows features, i mean, lazer already has a native macos version that doesn't require wine or anything like that, why can't there be one for the old client? can't be that hard, can it?

the old client is written in C# and uses .NET Framework, neither of which play well with macOS. afaik, it would be an extreme pain to try to get this to work on macs, possibly involving a total codebase rewrite (which is what lazer is, cough cough) if there's not some kind of magical compat layer. (macs use Swift/Objective-C and Cocoa instead of C# and .NET Framework.)

and i'm not ppy, but if i had to guess the osu! codebase has accumulated lots of technical debt over the years since 2007. when you consider the difference in framework/language in addition to that, it's kinda overwhelming: it would take weeks and weeks of hacking to even possibly get the old client to work, and even then it wouldn't be worth it; lazer is already in progress.
peppy
"can't be that hard"

this is where i kindly tell you to do it yourself ;). there *is* a reason we threw away everything and started lazer from scratch after over a year of attempting to make the osu-stable codebase work.

As an update, lazer is going amazingly and if you don't care about ranking it is in a super-usable state.

As for forward support for this wine build, I have an updated wrapper running WS10 and am in the process of testing it against catalina. Check back over the next day or two.
peppy
A new official release is available here. This one runs 64-bit and should be fine on catalina, apart from maybe not being signed. Please make sure to copy your data files manually. Keep the old app around rather than overwriting it, just in case.

Please report back how it works. If all is good I will post against osx.ppy.sh and we can deprecate this thread.
Topic Starter
Technocoder
peppy

peppy wrote:

A new official release is available here. This one runs 64-bit and should be fine on catalina, apart from maybe not being signed. Please make sure to copy your data files manually. Keep the old app around rather than overwriting it, just in case.

Please report back how it works. If all is good I will post against osx.ppy.sh and we can deprecate this thread.

"osu! is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the bin. is what it says, both extracted using Archive Utility and The Unarchiver and the unzip command. Running macOS Mojave. unzip doesn't show any integrity errors however.

Edit: chmod +x or chmod 777 also does not work.
peppy
I tested unzipping here and it worked fine. You have to 100% ensure you use the built-in unarchive tool, else the execute bit will be lost. I'll use .dmg for the final distribution.
abeq
Same thing as technocoder...and I used the built in tool.
But it does work if you run the WineskinLauncher through the terminal.
peppy
Topic Starter
Technocoder
Does not work with both Archive Utility (built in extractor) and the Unarchiver. With or without chmod +x. I tried opening the Wineskin application itself and it gives: Error writing file. The folder "exec2756391001.bat" doesn't exist. As stated by Abequinn, opening Contents/MacOS/WineskinLauncher directly from terminal works fine.

Edit: Notable error in Console:
Error
AMFI: Check-fix enabled for binary '/private/var/folders/m1/9y08_z153td2s0mqp0yxw0mr0000gn/T/AppTranslocation/1B854C68-2828-4A61-AB90-30C76E8A3102/d/osu!.app/Contents/MacOS/WineskinLauncher' with TeamID 'RD56V43GW9', identifier 'com.yourcompany.WineskinLauncher': broken signature treated as unsigned without privileges. This workaround will not work for software built on or after 10.12.

Upon attempting to codesign manually (sudo codesign --force --sign - osu\!.app), I get: osu!.app: unsealed contents present in the bundle root which might be the osu! icon?

Edit: Fixed with sudo xattr -rc osu!.app, which makes osu! run fine so it does seem to be a code signing or gatekeeper issue.

Edit: Couldn't get the default songs to load for some reason but beatmaps loaded manually work perfectly fine. Japanese characters show as boxes though which was probably expected.

Edit: Editor works fine for the most part. Menu bar still shows as a black strip but Song Setup window now shows fine.
peppy
Aha I must have local files whicha re allowing this to run for me. Should be able to fix that up.
peppy
@Technocoder the plan is to generate a script to build this from scratch, so it can be run by users that don't want to consume large binary releases. Are there any things missing from the new build that worked in yours? I know that CJK support should be easy to add back by installing the fake font mappings, at least.
Topic Starter
Technocoder
peppy

peppy wrote:

@Technocoder the plan is to generate a script to build this from scratch, so it can be run by users that don't want to consume large binary releases. Are there any things missing from the new build that worked in yours? I know that CJK support should be easy to add back by installing the fake font mappings, at least.

That's a pretty cool way of doing things.
As far as I can tell, all the features in my build exists in yours including dual monitor setups.
My Boring Name

peppy wrote:

A new official release is available here. This one runs 64-bit and should be fine on catalina, apart from maybe not being signed.

I'm on the most recent public beta of Catalina. After using the built-in Archive Utility to unzip the file, I tried opening the app from the Applications folder and nothing would happen when I opened it. Running WineskinLauncher also didn't work either; the process would complete itself immediately after I launched it. The Wineskin app still works fine though, so I did a test run and this was what I got:
Logs
/Applications/osu!.app/Contents/Frameworks/wswine.bundle/lib64/../bin/wine-preloader: line 2: /Applications/osu!.app/Contents/Frameworks/wswine.bundle/lib64/../bin/osu!stable 64612270101Wine-preloader: Bad CPU type in executable

000d:fixme:service:scmdatabase_autostart_services Auto-start service L"clr_optimization_v4.0.30319_32" failed to start: 1359

0012:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x240000 0 0x23e6e0 4 stub

0012:fixme:wer:WerSetFlags (2) stub!

0012:fixme:heap:RtlSetHeapInformation 0x0 1 0x0 0 stub

0017:fixme:process:SetProcessShutdownParameters (00000380, 00000000): partial stub.

/Applications/osu!.app/Contents/Frameworks/wswine.bundle/lib64/../bin/wine-preloader: line 2: /Applications/osu!.app/Contents/Frameworks/wswine.bundle/lib64/../bin/osu!stable 64612270101Wine-preloader: Bad CPU type in executable

peppy wrote:

Please try this one instead:

https://assets.ppy.sh/macOS/osu!%2020190709-2.app.zip

Same results & logs as the other build, but the logs gave me one more thing:
/Applications/osu!.app/Contents/Frameworks/wswine.bundle/lib64/../bin/wine64-preloader: line 2: 42367 Killed: 9 FREETYPE_PROPERTIES="truetype:interpreter-version=35" DYLD_FALLBACK_LIBRARY_PATH="${WINESKIN_LIB_PATH_FOR_FALLBACK}" "$(dirname "$0")/osu!stable 64612270101Wine64-preloader" "$@"
peppy
Thanks for the report. On further investigation, it looks like running on catalina will be impossible due to wine limitations. I'm not sure if this is the death of the wine project or not (that will required further reading) but it's probably worth noting (and not upgrading) for the time being.
kingyolo67
When I try to open the game it just tells me that it is 'Damaged' and that I should move it to the trash. Any advise?
I should probably mention that my mac is running on El Capitan.
peppy
Sorry for leaving this half-way. Turns out the build I made doesn't work well on catalina.
lunarperu
I'm in a bit of a pickle here.

I'll go to download the .zip file, and get it downloaded already unzipped and in application format, which I found a bit strange. I'd go and open it manually, by selecting "Open" and it dose literally nothing. I'll keep trying and I eventually get an error of "This application "osu!" can't be opened."

I went through wineskin and did a test run but nothing has happened at all.

I've also tried some of the most recent links above, and I got the same "osu! is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the bin." With the same version I didn't have to unzip it either.
Topic Starter
Technocoder
lunarperu

lunarperu wrote:

I'm in a bit of a pickle here.

I'll go to download the .zip file, and get it downloaded already unzipped and in application format, which I found a bit strange. I'd go and open it manually, by selecting "Open" and it dose literally nothing. I'll keep trying and I eventually get an error of "This application "osu!" can't be opened."

I went through wineskin and did a test run but nothing has happened at all.

I've also tried some of the most recent links above, and I got the same "osu! is damaged and can't be opened. You should move it to the bin." With the same version I didn't have to unzip it either.

See the osu! or Wineskin will not open! of my guide: https://osu.ppy.sh/community/forums/topics/679205
Specifically, you need to run the sudo xattr -dr com.apple.quarantine 'osu!.app' command in Terminal on osu! (or at least I'm pretty sure that's the issue).
Samuna_Draw
Hi um I find it unable to open any songs at all, is that normal?
Reiyer
Runs perfectly fine but there's visible input delay with a wired mouse. I'm running it on my second monitor, could that be an issue? On Mohave. Great work btw!
Paydru

Reiyer wrote:

Runs perfectly fine but there's visible input delay with a wired mouse. I'm running it on my second monitor, could that be an issue? On Mohave. Great work btw!

i play with tablet but whenever i try mouse it always has input delay/lag. So i think thats just a problem the build has.
Graypes-
i've been using the Wineskin fine for the past 9 months or so but it suddenly started spazzing like crazy. the program opens but doesn't run at a decent fps rate (it runs around 20fps for some reason) and then drops to not even 5fps at some points and lags my whole computer when closing it out. i've tried everything on your other thread and reinstalling the program; nothing worked.

EDIT: in case you're curious, i'm running on Mojave and always have been but the issues are recent. i also updated the engine and everything too and tried lower settings but nothing seems to work.
Launchpad
with catalina coming up, just a reminder to not update to it if you want to play osu! on your mac.

possible solutions:

1. wait for wine to work on catalina: https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=32590
  2. wait for lazer: tbd
ZeltoGMD
I am trying to currently run osu! on a MacBook Air. It worked before, but I was fiddling with the settings and accidentally broke the wrapper by enabling "Compatibility Mode." I did uninstall and reinstall it, but now nothing is working.

I would like a resolution to this. If I need to send any form of logs, please tell me (how to get to the logs) and I will show them to resolve this problem.

I hope to hear from you soon.
beaw

ZeltoGMD wrote:

I am trying to currently run osu! on a MacBook Air. It worked before, but I was fiddling with the settings and accidentally broke the wrapper by enabling "Compatibility Mode." I did uninstall and reinstall it, but now nothing is working.

I would like a resolution to this. If I need to send any form of logs, please tell me (how to get to the logs) and I will show them to resolve this problem.

You didn't have to un/reinstall ^^; just go into the osu config files and change its value back to 0!
ZeltoGMD

Stingy wrote:

ZeltoGMD wrote:

You didn't have to un/reinstall ^^; just go into the osu config files and change its value back to 0!

So, I'm not good when it comes to files and stuff. Can you tell me how to do it?
beaw

ZeltoGMD wrote:

Stingy wrote:

ZeltoGMD wrote:

So, I'm not good when it comes to files and stuff. Can you tell me how to do it?

Yep! So in your osu! folder (there are different ways to find this. the one I use most is clicking the app icon and using Show in Finder, then Show Package Contents) and find the "osu!" folder. (I don't have a specific filepath because I screwed mine up a few months ago lol) and open osu!.<your name>.cfg as a text document. Now change the value MyPcSucks = 1 to MyPcSucks = 0.
Kpham9906
does anyone know how to fix the chinese/korean/japanese text thingy (the letters become boxes)? https://github.com/ppy/osu-wine/issues/6
This worked for me for a while but it seems that it is back to boxes
(if you are asking why I want these texts, it's because it looks aesthetic in original text instead of english)
SosPesos
osu doesn't open in Catalina version of Mac OS. Will it be fixed or not?
- Marco -
CodeWeavers are working on bringing wine to catalina

https://www.codeweavers.com/about/blogs/tag:catalina
peppy
Once we get wine updated I'll revisit the updated package.
Poco_a_pocoVT
The wait is tough but I totally understand and appreciate the hard work being put into this all. I started having computer issues and thought upgrading to Catalina would fix something and I didn't know Osu! didn't run on it. Doesn't help that my tablet just came in too haha. Thank you to everyone helping us filthy Mac users. It means a lot.
EdwardTheNeko
Being on a mac is tough sometimes so i appreciate the hard work for even mac users like myself to play Osu! again when the time comes. good luck working on it
Kpham9906

Majora22 wrote:

The wait is tough but I totally understand and appreciate the hard work being put into this all. I started having computer issues and thought upgrading to Catalina would fix something and I didn't know Osu! didn't run on it. Doesn't help that my tablet just came in too haha. Thank you to everyone helping us filthy Mac users. It means a lot.

Isn't there a way to go back down to mojave? My friend updated to Catalina because he didn't know and he did something with his disk and he manage to get back to mojave
beaw
My version of osu! is too old to submit scores now. Is it safe to update the client?
peppy
You need to use non-fallback builds to submit scores.
beaw

peppy wrote:

You need to use non-fallback builds to submit scores.

I used to be able to submit everything just fine, but we'll see!
The client forced a restart, so after it's finished I'll get back with an update.

Edit: Everything is fine!
show more