forum

MAXIMUM THE HORMONE - A-L-I-E-N

posted
Total Posts
show more
Kyouren
Congrulations!
Xinnoh
Hi, there are some serious issues that need to be addressed before this moves on to rank

alien
  1. 04:37:763 (1) - This is clearly a U and not an O. I'm pretty sure you spell stop with an O so please change that to an O shape regardless of being able to tell between slider head and tail. Representing the song is more important than being able to read it.
  2. 04:28:662 (6) - I fear this stream might be too hard for people to play, please nerf by using sliders.
  3. 03:53:600 (1) - this section needs to use more drum kicks. You only use a kick when guitar changes chord, but a drum never changes pitch! please rectify this by adding more kicks.
[Nemesis]
02:21:427 (4,5,1) - timing is off in this section, I suggest you recheck that.
Ideal
congratulations on getting #1 in your country ohori :^)
Kilabarus
Finally, Monstrata, you did it! Gratz for ranking this awesome map!
Exote
wo0ow holy sh gratz
Ayesha Altugle
the most beautiful map ever made xd
Topic Starter
Monstrata

[Nemesis] wrote:

Sounds fine o.o
iYiyo
Nice.
As always you doing new/controversial stuffs for the community. Long life Monstrata.
-Sh1n1-
finally!! let's pray for 1 week now, gratz bro
-[ Prxzm ]-
Surono
toomuchmeem
SilverCatalyst

Monstrata wrote:

[Nemesis] wrote:

Sounds fine o.o
no, nemesis is right. i'm 99% sure this is how it's supposed to be timed:
Natteke desu

-[ Prxzm ]- wrote:

i love you
- Frontier -
can someone change to heart icon? :roll:
Topic Starter
Monstrata

Monstrata wrote:

[Nemesis] wrote:

Sounds fine o.o
no, nemesis is right. i'm 99% sure this is how it's supposed to be timed: [/quote]

No, listen to the drum :P. Also what you proposed is unrankable anyways since the slider becomes improperly snapped (and the sliderend would be unsnapped).
SilverCatalyst
my bad, I thought you were mapping vocals in that section :P
but ya i just snapped the sliderhead, didn't mess with properly snapping the end
Swiftrax
Hey, I ain't gonna flame the map if the current version of the .mp3 is rankable, but from my point of view it isn't. If it is, tell me why, because in two places it is very much so stretched.

I found this information out from a video of Will Stetson's, which happens to be taken down so I'll need some clarification of whether or not the information has reached here or not.

Here: 00:11:565 (1,1) -
According to his video, this part of the song is double the length of the original version.
And it is.
Link to timepoint on normal A-L-I-E-N for comparison sakes.

The other point that was noted to be stretched was at here: 01:02:466 (1) -
This section, from Will Stetson's pov, was considerably slower than the video's.
And, again, it is.
Link to timepoint on normal A-L-I-E-N for comparison sakes, again.

Look, to tell you the truth, I don't know if this stops rankability or not, so if it does please explain to me why for some god damn reason this is ranked, because if it shouldn't be because of the song then I'm going to believe that Monstrata can literally rank any song in this game. If it is rankable, I need some insight because I may or may not have done enough research on this.
Mint
because making a full spread (incl a diff <2.00*) is unreasonable for this type of song
-[ Prxzm ]-
jeanbernard8865

tporter wrote:

Hey, I ain't gonna flame the map if the current version of the .mp3 is rankable, but from my point of view it isn't. If it is, tell me why, because in two places it is very much so stretched.

I found this information out from a video of Will Stetson's, which happens to be taken down so I'll need some clarification of whether or not the information has reached here or not.

Here: 00:11:565 (1,1) -
According to his video, this part of the song is double the length of the original version.
And it is.
Link to timepoint on normal A-L-I-E-N for comparison sakes.

The other point that was noted to be stretched was at here: 01:02:466 (1) -
This section, from Will Stetson's pov, was considerably slower than the video's.
And, again, it is.
Link to timepoint on normal A-L-I-E-N for comparison sakes, again.

Look, to tell you the truth, I don't know if this stops rankability or not, so if it does please explain to me why for some god damn reason this is ranked, because if it shouldn't be because of the song then I'm going to believe that Monstrata can literally rank any song in this game. If it is rankable, I need some insight because I may or may not have done enough research on this.
There's nothing in the current ranking criteria which states that the mp3 doesn't have to be extended. It is probably going to be in the future though, as the proposal on t/602728 has a rule against that. You can discuss it there if you'd like to.
Topic Starter
Monstrata
Please discuss mp3 editing in the ranking criteria forums. It is not unrankable currently, and I've used it in a few ranked maps anyways. Some big ones are Santa-San
Swiftrax

Monstrata wrote:

Please discuss mp3 editing in the ranking criteria forums. It is not unrankable currently, and I've used it in a few ranked maps anyways. Some big ones are Santa-San
Gotcha.

Thanks for the insight, very good to know.
Zero__wind
wth, Loved -> App
too pro
worst fl player
Osu! needs more Senya!
Frim4503
what the.....
Hikomori
congrats 0108!

oh wait wrong map
[ Eon Fox ]

appleeaterx wrote:

because making a full spread (incl a diff <2.00*) is unreasonable for this type of song
Hardly. Making a sub 2* diff (as well as a full spread) would be a triviality for pretty much anyone. How much more so, then, for someone of Monstrata's prestige! The song has a lot of potential simplification opportunities, most especially in the beginning and the last half. Considering the massive spreads Monstrata has experience in making, doing such for a primarily 1/2-1/4 timing structure would be very easy for him.

Now, I would prove this, but I can assure you that it would make no difference, as there is no swaying you or the other no-name BN who bubbled this to consider that this incredibly poor attempt at mapping this song is anything but perfectly acceptable in your eyes. Even if you did reconsider, Monstrata would just do a few favours for another pair of BNs and get it ranked anyway.

It's somewhat depressing to know that qualification doesn't have the ability to stop people truly determined to speed rushjob maps through the process via calling in favours from their friends. Must be kinda like how New Yorkers felt about Boss Tweed in the early 20th century...
Speed of Snail

[ Eon Fox ] wrote:

It's somewhat depressing to know that qualification doesn't have the ability to stop people truly determined to speed rushjob maps through the process via calling in favours from their friends. Must be kinda like how New Yorkers felt about Boss Tweed in the early 20th century...
.....This map has been trying to get ranked for over a year now, and I can visibly see a lot of changes Monstrata made since the original version in order to get it ranked. Besides if it could work just by doing favours for other BNs it'd just get DQ'd and the BN's would be removed, I've seen that happen before so I don't see how it's different here.
riktoi
People have copypasted sections of a song before (https://osu.ppy.sh/b/664095 for example) and they have gotten through just fine. Just know that Monstrata is not the only one doing this stretching/extending/copypasting to get over it. In some cases it's perfectly fine and I would argue it's fine here as well.

Monstrata wrote:

_handholding
Eon Fox you should really stop talking about shit you know nothing about
jas

Kisses wrote:

[ Eon Fox ]

TheOnlyLeon wrote:

[ Eon Fox ] wrote:

.....This map has been trying to get ranked for over a year now, and I can visibly see a lot of changes Monstrata made since the original version in order to get it ranked. Besides if it could work just by doing favours for other BNs it'd just get DQ'd and the BN's would be removed, I've seen that happen before so I don't see how it's different here.
If it didn't work by the matter of calling favours, and thus get DQ as well as removal of BNs, both Apple and the other no-name BN who originally qualified this would not have held their positions (which they did). And regardless of the changes Monstrata DID make, he refused and still to this day refuses to address and fix the most glaring errors (most regarding improper flow and poor structure). I don't care if you pull the "experience" card on Monstrata's behalf, because guess what? Any moron with any knowledge of music theory can tell the map ignores damn near all the structure of the song that is actually consistent.

And frankly, it doesn't matter that the map has been working towards rank for a year, because there are people who have only recently gotten maps ranked that had several years of effort put into them, as well as many maps that tried for years and either have been DQ'd over incredibly minor matters until the mapper gave up trying and maps that had to settle for Loved because BNs and QATs refused to let them through qualification (regardless of attempts to rank).

Kisses wrote:

Look, I've done this song and dance with two maps by now. I really shouldn't have to personally contact the composers of a song or plaster screenshots of sheet music or the MIDI notation just for people to use their common sense. I'm not even remotely sure how I have extensive experience with music theory and composition (yes, even for this kind of metal), information direct from files containing the exact structure of a songs beat and rhythm (or even sheet music), and have no problem asking the actual musicians themselves for confirmation, and STILL people like you think I'm somehow some complete idiot who has no knowledge or experience to back me up.

Art may be subjective, but music structure is completely objective. And the music structure here says the art is wrong.
Topic Starter
Monstrata
Thanks for your opinion! Good night~
Vivyanne
Eon Fox I hope you realise that this is just a video game right? Writing essays on your view on how everything is formed (and thus can appearently only be mapped in that way which is dumb as music is always recieved differently and that'll mean theory can be discussed too!) makes you look like an extreme pest. It's an open community. People will disagree. Saying that You know MORE cause you have THEORY really doesn't brighten anything up. It might help too if you didn't picture to be better than everyone else.

Just go chill orz dude, enough essays for now.
Pachiru
when you're trying to be naxess @Eon Fox
Smokeman

[ Eon Fox ] wrote:

Kisses wrote:

Look, I've done this song and dance with two maps by now. I really shouldn't have to personally contact the composers of a song or plaster screenshots of sheet music or the MIDI notation just for people to use their common sense. I'm not even remotely sure how I have extensive experience with music theory and composition (yes, even for this kind of metal), information direct from files containing the exact structure of a songs beat and rhythm (or even sheet music), and have no problem asking the actual musicians themselves for confirmation, and STILL people like you think I'm somehow some complete idiot who has no knowledge or experience to back me up.

Art may be subjective, but music structure is completely objective. And the music structure here says the art is wrong.
I would like to see that map to which the music structure sais "it's right" lol.
How about you map it and show us musically underdeveloped hooligans who dare to oppose objective correctness of a piece of music how it's supposed to be done. Be the change you want to see C:

"the art is wrong"
Silverdesu

Smokeman wrote:

I would like to see that map to which the music structure sais "it's right" lol.
How about you map it and show us musically underdeveloped hooligans who dare to oppose objective correctness of a piece of music how it's supposed to be done. Be the change you want to see C:

"the art is wrong"
trust me dude he can't do shit with it-- compare him mapping for fun with him actually mapping

and because i know 90% he's gonna respond to this:
even if you don't want to update that mapset anymore and that it's just "going for loved," you still mapped it with the intent of ranking it originally (and no, the set isn't old enough for me to consider it old, and you haven't improved since then, so don't even try the "old style" bullshit)
_DT3

Silverdesu wrote:

trust me dude he can't do shit with it-- compare him mapping for fun with him actually mapping

and because i know 90% he's gonna respond to this:
even if you don't want to update that mapset anymore and that it's just "going for loved," you still mapped it with the intent of ranking it originally (and no, the set isn't old enough for me to consider it old, and you haven't improved since then, so don't even try the "old style" bullshit)
Um, this is a map thread where the map itself is supposed to be discussed, not stuff about other mapsets.
Silverdesu

_DT3 wrote:

Um, this is a map thread where the map itself is supposed to be discussed, not stuff about other mapsets.
hence why i didn't linked to the mapsets themselves--
i also don't really have anything to say about this set since i've found this set a-ok since a year ago
show more