forum

Full Comboing?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Rosten
Damnit you guys have spoiled me. I don't feel right finishing songs without an FC and over 94% accuracy and get kind of frustrated when I don't. Thannkkkksssss.

That said, how can I continue my pursuit towards always FCing? I always find myself getting 1 or 2 misses even in 4.2 star songs. How can I stop these blights on my accuracy?
Yuudachi-kun
I have a collection of maps called FC and ones called Improve acc FC

When I fc a map I move it to improve acc fc.

I never remove maps from remove acc fc.

Sometimes I refc them for better pp or just because they were cool maps.
Endaris
Get good.
Look at it like this, your Top Play is a 4.37* map and you got mere 94% Acc on it.
There are two different kind of plays you can look at:
Plays that you are theoretically capable of pulling off but the chance is kinda low.
Plays that you can pull off with relatively high consistency because you're better than the map.

The consistency level of a player is almost always significantly lower compared to what they have as their Top Plays.
Generally speaking:
The higher the weighted acc of a player the closer his consistency level is to his Top Plays.
Look at this guy for example:
https://osu.ppy.sh/u/4260009
This guy is a fucking beast and I've seen him FCing maps on sightread that I had trouble with FCing myself despite 1k pp difference. He could have much more pp if he just submitted plays with good combo and imperfect acc. His Top Plays are all plays that he can re-FC within very few tries without exceptions even though he might have trouble to SS them again.

You on the other hand have low accuracy which means that the majority of your top plays you were struggling at maintaining control over the map and hitting everything correctly. They're almost all plays that are not common to do for you.
This is not necessarily a problem as there are players that have strong FC-capabilities without having good accuracy at the same time but generally speaking you should rethink the expectations you have of yourself when playing maps.
It's probably a good idea to get buttthurt if you have trouble to FC a 3.5* map and to dig in and practice that one but it's kind of nonsense to get upset about being unable to FC maps that would land in the upper half of your Top Plays.
Topic Starter
Rosten
I don't really have a ton to say other than that you're probably right.

I do have a history lately of expecting myself to be able to FC maps way above what I could beat the other day, and then eventually figuring out that I need to scale back to start improving rapidly again. (This is almost exclusively the reason for the stair-steppy sort of PP graph I have), and once I scale back I start being able to FC (with decent acc) again, which ends up making me over confident and jumping ahead... (And the cycle continues forever.)

Also I'm just going to say that I do not deserve that Caramel Heaven FC in the slightest. I did it on my first try on the map in MP and have absolutely no clue how I did it. Magic.(The one BEFORE that, however, I can (almost) FC with Hidden. [Gave up on that one at the twelfth time missing 3/4 of the way through with 98% acc])
Yuudachi-kun

Rosten wrote:

I don't really have a ton to say other than that you're probably right.

I do have a history lately of expecting myself to be able to FC maps way above what I could beat the other day, and then eventually figuring out that I need to scale back to start improving rapidly again.
Fuck that - that's exactly how improvement works imo because the maps are CHALLENGING you and you're playing what's CHALLENGING YOU to the point of fc.

Rosten wrote:

Also I'm just going to say that I do not deserve that Caramel Heaven FC in the slightest. I did it on my first try on the map in MP and have absolutely no clue how I did it.
[/quote]

Also this. Fuck this too. If you fc'd it without cheating you deserve it full stop.
Endaris
Khelly is right about what he says, you just have to be smart enough to give your drive for satisfaction a direction.
There's no point in trying to FC all these maps you feel like you should be FCing.
Don't plan more than a few FCs ahead. Stay focused on the next goal and try to achieve that specific one instead of trying to achieve everything.
Yuudachi-kun
Endaris
It wasn't always that full Khelly.
Remember when you said you would FC Daidai DT and you just did it.
And Riince was shattered.
Yuudachi-kun

Endaris wrote:

It wasn't always that full Khelly.
Remember when you said you would FC Daidai DT and you just did it.
And Riince was shattered.
That was really hard at the time and I subsequently spent the next months re-fcing it for better and better acc. I still think 99% would be really hard for me right now but if I wanted to practice acc that's one way I'd do it.
Endaris
Yes but still, if you wanna FC stuff do it one at a time.
And have some half-decent self-evaluation of what is doable.
Yuudachi-kun

Endaris wrote:

Yes but still, if you wanna FC stuff do it one at a time.
And have some half-decent self-evaluation of what is doable.
Since I don't play many new maps and often just stick to collections I usually have about 10-20 or so maps in my fc collection that when I play for fc pp I cycle between because playing the same map a lot isn't very helpful. There's been few times I've wanted to fc one of them so bad I sat down for an hour to do it. There's also some others in there I play occasionally that are like .5% chance of fcing but I still work towards them occasionally.

Improve acc fcs ones are way easier to consistently fc since I've improved since fcing them and if I can re-acc them well, which is easier because they've become easier, they usually give a decent more amount of pp than when I originally fc'd it giving me double the benefit.

AT LEAST THIS IS HOW I OPERATE @OP
repr1se

Rosten wrote:

Damnit you guys have spoiled me. I don't feel right finishing songs without an FC and over 94% accuracy and get kind of frustrated when I don't. Thannkkkksssss.
Playing for FC's will tire you, since more often than not you can't FC a song that isn't in your comfort zone -- and to get better you need to play maps out of that region.

That said, how can I continue my pursuit towards always FCing? I always find myself getting 1 or 2 misses even in 4.2 star songs. How can I stop these blights on my accuracy?
Persistence is key. Also, you're more likely to miss if you think about FCs than the map itself. Focus on the map and you'll miss less. I'd also suggest to play maps out of your comfort. Looking at your top PP plays go with 4.3 star to 4.5 star. Your primary concern is accuracy since it's quite low.
Yuudachi-kun

Repr1se wrote:

Rosten wrote:

Playing for FC's will tire you, since more often than not you can't FC a song that isn't in your comfort zone -- and to get better you need to play maps out of that region.
But OP is already playing maps for FC outside of his comfort zone.
repr1se

Khelly wrote:

But OP is already playing maps for FC outside of his comfort zone.
I was addressing the "FC or bust" attitude some players have. To play strictly for FCs instead of getting better is frustrating.

Naturally, since FC=PP, everyone plays for FCs, but you have to miss somewhere to improve.

Difficult to explain riperinos
Topic Starter
Rosten
Don't worry Reprise, I understood what you meant fine.

I also think there might be a psychological aspect to it, and though I've mostly gotten past the hyper-nervousness that causes me to freeze up at high combo, I do find my movements getting a lot less smooth the higher up my combo goes and the closer I get to an FC. (Almost always resulting in a god-awful sliderbreak or something similar)

That said, much as I'd love to take all of this great advice and probably make it to 50k with ultra-no-life-tryhardness, it appears that sometime in the middle of the night my tablet pen disappeared into thin air, and (as much as Yuno would crucify me for saying this) I can't even pass over 3.5* with a mouse. So, guess I'm post-poning Osu until I find it >.<
ithgyu
I only every really take 3 plays max on a map before i move on, unless i really wanna fc
Caenis
7ambda

Yuno Nikusu wrote:

i would say stop caring about fcing and just focus on accuracy without missing
Nice wording.

10/10
Caenis
7ambda

Yuno Nikusu wrote:

slider breaks isn't missing
It is if the cursor doesn't get to the slider fast enough, or your cursor fails to get the slider through the slider tick, in which case you misaimed.
Caenis
7ambda

Yuno Nikusu wrote:

the game doesn't count it as a miss
Still technically missing by definition.
-Makishima S-

Yuno Nikusu wrote:

slider breaks isn't missing
Everything what breaks your combo is considered a miss.
Caenis
-Makishima S-
the game disagrees because you can still get an S with a slider break also break =/= miss 2 different words i feel like im getting trolled here nice rankism
By ranking system, slider break cuts your pp income similar way like a miss with exception to removing 3% of overall pp.
Sliderbreak is a miss, executing it with technical miss is harder by game mechanic if by any chance you hitted any part of slider which still counts towards score points.
That's why IT IS a miss in meaning of gameplay and ranking.

Like i said - everything what reset your combo points is considered a miss.
Hiro-Senpai
What really helped me to get my confidence in fcing higher was
turning off the interface (combo counter, hp, acc) i realised that if
I get a really big combo on a map i always look for a second at my combo
And then the chokerino comes and i miss bcuz i am stressed about fcing the map
So hiding interface helped me with that, maybe it will help u as well. :)
Reyvateil
Slider breaking is missing and I'm still freaking salty

;_;
Mahogany

Yuno Nikusu wrote:

the game disagrees because you can still get an S with a slider break also break =/= miss 2 different words i feel like im getting trolled here nice rankism
Getting a sliderbreak means you've literally missed a hitobject

If you consider missing a singletap a miss then missing a sliderstart is also a miss because in both cases you've failed to hit the object

There's literally no way you can argue against that
Helyana
[self-deleted]
repr1se

SkullFull wrote:

I don't know why, but I almost always find myself having 1 to 5 combo less than FC (for example, FC in a map is 500x and I have 497x). How does it happen? I think it's associated to kick sliders, but i'm not sure...
When the cursor leaves the slider follow circle (the circle which you stay in) you get a 100 and lose the second hit (combo point) from the slider.
Mahogany
^ That's only if your cursor is off the followcircle on the moment the slider ends. You'll get a 100, but the sliderend won't be added to your combo, but you won't break combo either. So it's still a full combo, but with less than maximum combo.

(doing this on a slidertick WILL break your combo, though)
Helyana
[self-deleted]
Mahogany
If you don't hear the combobreak sound, you've gotten an FC, even if you have less combo than the maximum!

(This doesn't apply if you miss really early in a combo, you have to build a certain amount of combo before combobreak sounds will play)
show more