forum

Triathlon map mode (osu!, taiko and CTB in the same map)

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +44
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
Kitsunemimi
Actually, that'd mean that the map itself is designated specifically for triathlon mode. Well, I don't think that any of the old maps will be triathlon maps, and that not many people will be making triathlon maps. Like about as much Marathon maps out there. I was thinking, maybe just 3 songs back to back with the triathlon (lol my brain is breaking down into tiny little pieces right now). I mean, wouldn't it be really complicated to have triathlon maps themselves. I have a feeling it's going to be too much of a hassle.
peppy
This map has been deleted on the request of its creator. It is no longer available.
rust45
Topic Starter
Ephemeral

rust45 wrote:

Maybe this can work out with other songs that have breaks in them, and it cycles at each break?
As a compatibility mode enabled by a mod (as in an actual game mode, like DT or hidden), yeah. But the mapper should be able to designate a map specifically for triathlon mode and map individual portions separated by breaks in the three different modes. Taiko is excellent for percussion and CtB is phenomenally fun on streams.
Rolled
Could be very fun once djpop gets a hold of it
anonymous_old

Rolled wrote:

Could be very fun once djpop gets a hold of it
*Blllssshhhhhhhh*

I like this.
Gens
Yeah, someone could map a marathon triathlon map, that would be super awesome. :)

...yeah. <.<
LuigiHann
I can't help but think this would end up being underused or overused. It'd be a very cool sort of thing to have in a "boss map," if we ever get that kind of structure working.
CheeseWarlock
Soaprman
Jinxy
Nachy

LuigiHann wrote:

I can't help but think this would end up being underused or overused. It'd be a very cool sort of thing to have in a "boss map," if we ever get that kind of structure working.
Indeed this does sounds awesome, "boss map". Maybe it could be the extra difficulty in the map aside from Easy, Normal, Hard & Insane. It could be an individual map itself. The rush of the ever changing gameplay and pace sounds really fun.
Mashley
Screw this, I want to play them AT THE SAME TIME.
But I don't really think this is a good idea, it'd be overused soooo much. As a new special mode, though, me likes.
Echo
It *can* be fun, but only when the occasional map does this. So I propose osz2 specific lock on this feature that only peppy can override.
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
Or instead of stupid, cumbersome software enforced locks, you simply have the BATs moderate and approve only the really exceptional triathlon maps.

Like I said in the original post, like Taiko and CTB, Triathlon maps would have their own rankings and scoreboard independent to all the others. I would expect that triathlon maps would appear about as often as enforced taiko maps do - semi-rarely.
Echo

Ephemeral wrote:

Or instead of stupid, cumbersome software enforced locks, you simply have the BATs moderate and approve only the really exceptional triathlon maps.
I laughed when I read that.

That won't work because people will start flaming us "HOW COME YOU RANKED THAT MAP BUT NOT MINE BATS ARE RANKING EACH OTHERS MAPS AND NOT OURS ETC ETC ETC"
Topic Starter
Ephemeral

Echo wrote:

Ephemeral wrote:

I laughed when I read that.

That won't work because people will start flaming us "HOW COME YOU RANKED THAT MAP BUT NOT MINE BATS ARE RANKING EACH OTHERS MAPS AND NOT OURS ETC ETC ETC"
It's not like that's anything new :V
Gabi

Ephemeral wrote:

It's not like that's anything new :V
truth is funny...

anyways this idea sounds really interesting ^^
Sleep Powder
I just imagined a countdown before each of the mode switches...sounds good to me lol...but the actual switching of the modes seems a bit complicated.
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
Derekku
I love this idea so much <3
rust45
I just thought of problem with this. The game would have to load different graphics for the modes each time it switches. I doubt all the graphics can be on the RAM of a low-end comp.
Topic Starter
Ephemeral
Zekira
xerxes_oli
i say to just added as another mode in the selection list and allow to play any map
Azure_Kite

xerxes_oli wrote:

i say to just added as another mode in the selection list and allow to play any map
How would that be implemented on maps with less than two breaks, or older maps with this feature not accounted for. Unless peppy comes up with a way (most likely) to transition smoothly from mode to mode in such a way that a new feature isn't required to transition then yeah.

I'm neutral on this, In my opinion people would start spamming the pending and WIP with triathlon maps. On the otherhand, gameplay would be pretty cool.
anonymous_old

rust45 wrote:

I just thought of problem with this. The game would have to load different graphics for the modes each time it switches. I doubt all the graphics can be on the RAM of a low-end comp.
Not everything is loaded at the beginning of a map.

An auto-triathlon game mode or mod doesn't sound like a good idea to me. It'd probably only work well automagically with longer songs (e.g. the Marathon maps). I think a map has to be hand-crafted for this mode.
Azure_Kite

strager wrote:

It'd probably only work well automagically with longer songs (e.g. the Marathon maps). I think a map has to be hand-crafted for this mode.
I agree; Longer maps would be the only real place this mode could really shine. On the other hand, in response to my earlier post, after a little thought if the triathlon maps were only creatable for people with a certain amount of ranked maps, it might prevent WIP spamming. It would also ensure to some degree that the maps aren't completely terrible.

Of course, this mode would have to be implemented in order for my suggestion to have any merit.
TheVileOne
BUMP

I think this has potential to be a fun gamemode. I think it deserves more attention.
Stefan
Another Bump.

Honestly.. no. I think this concept sounds just attractive to a hand full of people. Especially since all four (currently) Modes has strong differences about Gameplay. I am not sure if this is really good..
FrzR
I've been thinking about how this works. Could be just any other match, but at least players can choose their own modes on the same song and difficulty. The scoring system would be a pain to consider. Probably an Unranked play? or players will have their own scores sent to bancho. =w=
bomber34
I think this is fun for more than a hand full people
it is like anything that leads to competition
more and more people will try it at some point and even stay at it
Rei Hakurei
well, i would like to see this one implemented :3 (some songs are better when the level is mixed instead)

do re mi fa so! yeah yeah yeah! maybe, maybe, i suppose! i suppose yeah! aaaa~~ aaaa~~ aaaa~~ (other rhythm game)
Drafura
This could also maybe work nice in coop multiplayer (4vs4).
YunoFanatic
and if there are maps like this there will be a triathlon mapping? i guess?
RingsOfRage
Interesting concept, but would this then mean that the mapper of a T-Map need to be pretty good at mapping osu, taiko and CTB together (Unless you choose a collaboration effort)? Also, would it be complicated to, say, merge the editing tools required for a T-map into the current map editor?
Rei Hakurei
Section A: Mode A
Section B: Mode B
Section C: Mode A
Section D: Mode C

Mode A use its own editing mechanism, etc.

(from what i think)
XinCrin
This Sounds awesome . Supporting!
D33d
I think that this could work well in practice, if the set has maps of each mode or a standard mapset translates well to taiko and ctb. I guess that it'd be easy enough to implement, assuming that the changes wouldn't cause huge amounts of lag or anything.
Abel
How about... NO
I am average at standard, I suck at taiko, and at CTB... I could say I can hit 1 note.. IN ALL DAMN SONG, SO NO!
- Marco -

Rei Hakurei wrote:

Section A: Mode A
Section B: Mode B
Section C: Mode A
Section D: Mode C

Mode A use its own editing mechanism, etc.

(from what i think)
^ agree
Kuro
Do I hear mixed team tournament?

huehuehue

sounds fun
Endaris
If anything the title of this request should be more generalized.
Like:
"Allow use of different gamemodes within one difficulty"

I don't think this would be attractive for most players.
For a boss-map like mentioned by LuigiHann this would be certainly a fun feature but unfortunately storyboards didn't establish too much in osu!...
abraker
Whats the difference between this request and this?
Seijiro
Considering the date when this request was made, mania wasn't a thing yet, therefore this request is totally the same as the other one you linked, abraker :P