forum

Reol - Asymmetry

posted
Total Posts
show more
Fatfan Kolek
Captin's Extra

1. 01:24:328 (1) - Don't you wanna extend the slider like you did here? 01:26:937 (1) - It's basically the same sound.
  2. 02:20:578 (2,1) - Wouldn't Ctrl+g on these flow better? Also, what is the purpose of the NCs 02:20:741 (1,1) -
  3. 03:11:611 (4) - missing clap
trying to help :V
Henri
01:01:502 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,1) - This part is overmapped. The song does not have a constant 1/4 rhythm going on.
The light grey combo color blends with the background too much which makes some of the hitobjects hardly visible.
Yea these i agree but the other reasons are 100% troll xD
Nathan

Quality Assurance Team wrote:

1. 03:16:013 (2,3,4,2,3,4) - This case is similar to 00:49:926 (2,3,4,2,3,4) - just more extreme. There is literally nothing in the music, making this completely overmapped. I don't even understand what you guys mean by "completely" and "more extreme," it's either overmapped or it's not. Anyone could clearly hear hi-hat sounds on these triplets so they are perfectly justified. The switch from a 1/4 to 1/2 tapping rhythm makes 00:49:763 (1,1) - MUCH more satisfying to hit, so removing them wouldn't even be an improvement.
The 1/4 track wasn't thrown in by the artist for no reason, it's intended to compliment the rest of the song. captin took advantage of this to place special emphasis on certain beats throughout the map with triplets and kick sliders. It's a very unique interpretation compared to the lower difficulties, but it's executed amazingly well.

Mapping could be considered as a form of art, which will never thrive under such an obstinate ranking system.
peppy
WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU GUYS
peppy
MORE PEOPLE CHECKING YOUR MAP IS SOMETHING YOU SHOULD BE THANKFUL FOR> THEY ARE DOING IT FOR FREE> IF YOU DON"T AGREE THEN FOLLOW UP IN THE THREAD< BUT STOP FUCKIGN COMPLAINING> THE THINGS WRITTEN BY QATS ARE NOT FINAL> IF YOU DONT AGREE THEN SAY YOU DONT AGREE>

fuck a donkey
peppy
"RIP people who FC'd thing?" DONT FUCKING PLAY QUALIFIED MAPS YOU wang eater.

"Mapping ain't a happy thing?" Because you ahve this vision in your head that YOU ARE ALWAYS RIGHT AND KNOW THE BEST. How about you get down off your wang horse and learn to accept constructive criticism?
peppy
I do agree that the "overmapped" judgements are possibly over-the-top, but if you think this then follow it up in the thread. Don't fucking throw the towel. Don't fucking dismiss the whole system. Go about fixing the problem.

(for those about to suggest that i'm "raging", i wrote all the above posts while sipping a coffee and enjoying an amazingly peaceful and cool morning. the caps and language are all placed to try and get your attention. enjoy.)
Garven
Cleaned up the thread of non-mod posts except from mappers. Please focus on helping the set go back to qualified if the mappers are willing to work towards that. Thanks.
Charles445
Slow down y'all. It's more effective to look closely at issues.

So uh, gonna go through the post.

00:35:986 (4) - The song’s calm atmosphere does not call for such overmapping.
- - - - - The buildup to the clap noise seems to have its automation set to change volume specifically on blue ticks... So it sharply increases in volume at that beat (if you have trouble hearing it, slow it down). It's a really obscure beat, though. This is a maybe.

00:49:926 (2,3,4,2,3,4) - Overmapped. The music does not have anything in it that would justify these.
- - - - - I can hear a beat in my left ear on the 3's. Turn up the volume and pay attention to the left ear, there's definitely something there. This is a no.

01:01:502 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,1) - This part is overmapped. The song does not have a constant 1/4 rhythm going on.
- - - - - Mapped to the synth vibration,, subtle but also supported by background drums. I think that's why he chose sliderends, haha! This is a no.

03:16:013 (2,3,4,2,3,4) - This case is similar to 00:49:926 (2,3,4,2,3,4) - just more extreme. There is literally nothing in the music, making this completely overmapped.
- - - - - Tough to say here. 03:16:094 - I don't hear anything here, but, 03:16:583 - I do hear something impacting on the blue tick. It's so, so, so quiet though. This is a yes, I'm pretty sure this part would be better off as 1/2.

So basically, maybe to the first point (so subtle, hardly noticeable), and yes to the last point (it's really not noticeable at all).
So that's my analysis, please don't follow it word for word, though, instead go into the map yourself and try to figure out what's going on. The more ears the better.
Nyquill
Thank you generally helpful guy Charles445

EDIT: okay what I meant to say is follow this example
byfar

Nyquill wrote:

lets get this ranked soon and make everyone happy xd
Spaghetti

peppy wrote:

Mapping ain't a happy thing? Because you ahve this vision in your head that YOU ARE ALWAYS RIGHT AND KNOW THE BEST. How about you get down off your wang horse and learn to accept constructive criticism?
That was meant to be taken lightly, as a parody to what Gaia has written on the description of the map, nobody likes getting their map DQ'ed :P. As for the wall of text I wrote earlier, you most likely didn't read it since you deleted every post that didn't have a timing point, even though it said everything you pretty much just outlined with your 4 posts.
peppy

Spaghetti wrote:

That was meant to be taken lightly, as a parody to what Gaia has written on the description of the map, nobody likes getting their map DQ'ed :P. As for the wall of text I wrote earlier, you most likely didn't read it since you deleted every post that didn't have a timing point, even though it said everything you pretty much just outlined with your 4 posts.
i didn't and wasn't planning on deleting anything. i just addressed a few posts quickly because fucked if i'm going to reply to each individual complaint. let's stay on topic for the sake of the creator of this map, though.
Swiftrax

peppy wrote:

fuck a donkey
Where did "fuck a donkey" come from? xD
*on a more serious note..*

Even there are some parts of the map that are sorta overmapped, it won't be hard to re-rank the map again since there is so very few changes to make.
Good luck re-ranking the map guys! Would love to see it ranked for good next time. :D/
Fatfan Kolek

Charles445 wrote:

00:49:926 (2,3,4,2,3,4) - Overmapped. The music does not have anything in it that would justify these.
- - - - - I can hear a beat in my left ear on the 3's. Turn up the volume and pay attention to the left ear, there's definitely something there. This is a no.
I can't really hear a beat on the blue ticks even with 25% speed. However a possible solution would be in my opinion a slider + circle combo instead of a tripple since there is a sound that holds on onto the blue tick. So playwise you'd hit to the 1/2 notes which are clearly hearable.
Shohei Ohtani
Hello peppy!

In the future, if you would like to made an additional point directly after your last, please avoid double posting and instead use the edit feature on the bottom righthand side of the post!

Thank you!
byfar

Reditum wrote:

Hello peppy!

In the future, if you would like to made an additional point directly after your last, please avoid double posting and instead use the edit feature on the bottom righthand side of the post!

Thank you!

more importantly..

peppy wrote:

THE THINGS WRITTEN BY QATS ARE NOT FINAL>
yeah, its official
KeylaPls
<3
Mercurial

captin1 wrote:

I swear to god if the general public starts throwing another fit in the thread without contributing meaningfully I will bring in someone much less lenient in moderation to clean up.

It's disappointing how selective and directly targeted the dq's are on this map. The amount of close-minded stubbornness and double standards going on here is completely ridiculous, and only serves to continue undermining what little credibility the QAT has left, and clearly shows how much of blind puppets to Loctav they truly are. It's sickening that this is the officially sanctioned system that we are running now. I hope for the future of this game (if it has any) that we will not remain in this system for much longer.
Nice alumni you had there.

Time to rank this again, I think.
VINXIS

peppy wrote:

THE THINGS WRITTEN BY QATS ARE NOT FINAL>

The issues mentioned by Loctav and listed in the previous disqualification post have not been addressed properly again. Like stated previously, everything is mandatory to be fixed.
p/4217799
p/4450747

so does this mean we can hacve this map ranked now or what
Mercurial

Mishima Yurara wrote:

so does this mean we can hacve this map ranked now or what
As long as this QAT system exists, no fucking chance.
VINXIS
excus me but peppy just said the qat words arent final so lets get this back to ranking if theres nothing stopping it anymore? QATs havent responded so that means the mapper's side is in favor right now so
Mercurial
I'm just throwing my 2 cents.

The QAT system is getting worse and worse everyday, so I wouldn't be surprised if some (if not most) of them get the boot.

As the map goes, I did a quick re-search and it doesn't seem to have any failures at all.
Nyxa

peppy wrote:

Mapping ain't a happy thing? Because you ahve this vision in your head that YOU ARE ALWAYS RIGHT AND KNOW THE BEST. How about you get down off your wang horse and learn to accept constructive criticism?
Uh not to intervene or anything but "wang horse" isn't exactly constructive, just saying.
Also QAT posts ARE final because the map will just keep getting DQ'd if you don't fix what they tell you to fix.

Lastly, I don't think raging in the thread actually helps the map improve so I'm kinda confused as to why that happened. People tend to get really salty when there's any DQ drama and it's generally the mapper and a few people vs. the QAT and a few people and I don't really understand why nobody learns from this. I think osu staff should really work on taking criticism since it goes both ways, especially the QAT have to be very careful about their reasons for DQ and their requirements for reQ or you're just making the mapper's life miserably hard. peppy said that QATs are checking your map for free but for the record @peppy mappers are also making the map for free, and if there are no maps made then there are no maps to check and if our mappers ever give up on mapping we end up with a wastelanded game where nothing new ever happens.

I don't think the rage at the mappers is necessary nor do I think any of this situation was necessary, and none of it would've happened if both mappers and osu staff were more open to criticism. But I really, really don't think raging ever helps. If peppy was a normal user his posts would've been removed by Garven for sure. I don't think that's okay but that's just my opinion, and many people have the feeling that their opinions are ignored in favor of other opinions. Just saying, I don't think either side is right but the side with more power could definitely show some more humility and patience. The staff sets the example, if all they do is argue then all the community will do is argue back. If they show patience and try their best to be objective and respectful then eventually the community will start respecting them more back. It's a two-way thing, and I don't think a staff can force their community to respect them, at least not in a game community where everyone is free to leave whenever they want.

Sorry for the walls but I'm kinda tired of hearing "oh look at this map DQ drama" "look at this peppy rage post" "oh look what happened here" "lol drama on a HW map". It's the same thing every time and it keeps happening because people don't listen to each other from any side. We also need to make it more clear how "final" the QAT posts are because it's already been pointed out that there seems to be a miscommunication there. I honestly don't have faith in this system anymore considering the drama DQs and what I see actually making it to ranked (which isn't exactly high quality while lots of good stuff doesn't make it for arbitrary reasons). Clearly it doesn't work but I don't expect any replacements anytime soon.

Anyway good luck getting this ranked and sorry if I offended anyone, no intention to do that here. Just posting some thoughts.
Natteke desu
on a serious note i'd look into this map and if you need it try to give some suggestions
ac8129464363
tbh I think the main problem here is how difficult communication between the QAT and everyone else is. Communication goes both ways and imo for the system to work it should.
Garven
Not cleaning again because it's annoying, but last warning: Keep your posts to helping the mapset out. Thanks.
Sing

byfar wrote:

Nyquill wrote:

lets get this ranked soon and make everyone happy xd
i agreen xd
Bearizm
Please stop blaming QATs.. They're just doing whatever they can to make the set better! and they never said that everything they pointed out includes ALL of the issues in the mapset anyways. They're not final, they even mentioned it, indirectly.

"Unfortunately, the Quality Assurance Team has decided to disqualify this beatmap. The following is a list of reasons and examples for the disqualification. We do not outline every issue in detail, so make sure to take the idea behind each reason and apply it to the entire beatmap as issues might be found in more than the spots mentioned below. If you have any questions, please reply to this post and we will do our best to clarify any misunderstandings."

I bolded them in case people can't read

captin's Extra
00:35:986 (4) - agreed with the QATs, this shouldn't be here as nothing is supporting this circle being there.

00:43:812 (4) - ^

00:46:583 (6) - ^

00:50:007 (3,3) - ^

01:14:871 (3) - this isn't exactly the most comfortable thing to play out I feel like, so maybe highlight 01:14:871 (3,4,5,6,7,8) - and move them to x36y184 to make 01:14:545 (2,3) - flow better. Maybe move 01:15:850 (1) - to x304y16 after that

03:13:241 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - this is literally the hardest part of the song and yet, this isn't even the closing, please nerf it down. you'd agree with me if I say that the part here 04:05:415 (1) - should be a lot harder than that build up right? because right now, the last bit of the song is much easier than that and I believe that it's wrong to have that. and um... 03:13:567 (3) - this jump is the second furthest one in your map. (just sayin)

Good luck for re-qualifications!

EDIT: Forgot to mention 03:54:817 (1) - remove NC pls
Arphimigon

Garven wrote:

Keep your posts to helping the mapset out. Thanks.
[Mey Easy]
00:09:328 (2) - I think this sliders end would benefit from going a little less left due to the original curve, even by a little bit

[Normal]
Nice stuff, but its reallll dense lol (id incerase AR but 5 is risky for a normal so w/e)
00:10:632 (1,2) - Nazing here but move slider 2 up 1 pixel *runs*

[pk's hard as rock]
00:14:219 (2) - Kinda weirdly placed. You probaly have your reasons so I'd suggest adding a few more for the sake of consistency like around 00:17:806 -
01:01:827 (2) - Cant you NC these to signify the change to vocal and different rhythm?
01:46:339 (2) - Kinda weirdly placed here with the last 1/2 spam and all should this be slider+note or note+slider

[Extra]
Not asymettrical enough
00:34:763 (5,6,7,8) - Why zig zag motion it fit so cool when it was a curve like at 00:32:154 (5,6,7,8) -
00:49:111 (5,6,7) - Direction of 6 could be compromised to point between 5 and 7, would look (and play by a small degree) better
00:52:045 (4) - Why do i read this as 3/4... it may aswell be 3/4
asdf

sry Kibboo i hav no tim but I might come back to do ur diff

[captin's over-DQed diff]
Ye the rhythmical inconsistency isnt like all too bad like wh is all the hype on
Although i can say thats a lot of triplets... and they are sometimes hard to tell when they would be played as they are (consistently) inconsistent, but since its through the whole diff it becomes a theme of the map and is cool
00:19:763 (1) - Are you just making that end assymetrical for the sake of the title... it looks prettty bad and would be better pointing left-wards
01:02:643 (1) - Remove NC for slider NC consistency here? (or is it a NC per jump, if so thats fine)
01:10:632 (1,2,3,4) - Because youd probably use leniency abuse on that first slider I'd say 4 plays nice being lower
01:27:589 (1,2) - Fits nicer with all notes imo
01:28:567 (5) - I'd NC this or not NC but make it the same spacing as the stream, either one fits nicer
01:49:029 - I'd so add a sound here, perhaps make 01:48:947 (4) - into a 1/4 slider too
02:23:350 (6,7,8,1) - Likewise triplet then 1/4 space would be more fitting here, or not, but definately something at 02:23:431 -
03:36:719 (1) - That end is pretty ugli imo
03:45:361 (5,6,7,8,1) - That stacked note is a bit sudden as its the only one placed as so really, i would kinda make it more spottable

Sorry for bias i wanted to hurry to captin since thats what the fuss has been about
gl with reranking!
captin1
Really appreciate the support that has poured in for this map, even in the posts that have been removed. And big thanks to peppy and Charles for clearing a lot of things up, and thanks to all the modders who have stepped in with their opinions. I'll be doing my best to reply during the day tomorrow, as I'm starting up school this week and I'm losing a lot of my time again.
Rakuen
Can't just watch anymore

Legend
Default = Normal mods
Blue = Strongly recommended
Red = Unrankable issue
Pink = Will be discussed if not changed

Combo Colors

• Could use pink and/or yellow-ish green, seems the DQs don't like dark colors (me too)

KIAI

• Why not KIAI in Normal and Extras XD!

KIAI is meant for chorus parts iinw, I don't get why some don't like it, flashing shouldn't be an excuse ^_^

Meyrink's Easy

• Not really a mod here, but if it's me, I'd make it looks Easy, less weird shapes

Normal

1. 03:18:458 (1) - This one's fairly hard to slide, even the shape (this part) from Hard is way easier to read. Please consider to make the shape simple
  2. 03:56:121 (3,4) - Not a straight line I guess? Move (3) little bit up

pk's Hard

1. 01:28:567 (4) - Don't shrink it, can't see it clearly
    ^ Could be replaced with trips, or slightly faster SV slider
  2. 02:38:676 (3,1) - Looks continuous, like 02:41:611 (4,1) - has way more space :3
    ^ Why not make it like 02:44:219 (3,1) -
  3. 03:07:697 - Map thy vocal
  4. 04:05:415 (1) - Stacking on 04:05:089 (6) - would be easier to read for me (on testplay)

Kibboo's Insane

1. 00:19:763 (1) - The other parts are quite neat :3
  2. 03:16:176 (2,3,4,5) - Prefer 1,2 + 1,2 x)
  3. 03:27:589 (1) - What's this @_@" (feels like you're trying to create an epic shape but...)

PAN's Extra

• Don't like how Insane has 4.1 CS, and Extra has 3.5??? :\
    If circles are big, they are close to each other
  1. 02:51:067 (6) - Missing NC?
  2. 04:01:013 (5,6,7,1) - Weird flow here, (1) is opposite direction from (5) - (7)

Woop, just leaving some words for captin's Extra here (legends are not related in here)

captin's Extra

Lack of concept regarding rhythms

• The issues mentioned by Loctav and listed in the previous disqualification post have not been addressed properly again. Like stated previously, everything is mandatory to be fixed.
  1. 00:35:986 (4) - The song’s calm atmosphere does not call for such overmapping. Kinda agree with this
  2. 00:49:926 (2,3,4,2,3,4) - Overmapped. The music does not have anything in it that would justify these. No, there's definitely trip drum marks there, maybe because the quality is lowered that we can barely hear it, and I think this pattern is much acceptable
  3. 01:01:502 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,1) - This part is overmapped. The song does not have a constant 1/4 rhythm going on. There's 1/4 here 01:01:502 (1,2,1,2) - on one of the instrument (sort of like organ), meanwhile this part could be a lead in part stream (rhythm)
  4. 03:16:013 (2,3,4,2,3,4) - This case is similar to 00:49:926 (2,3,4,2,3,4) - just more extreme. There is literally nothing in the music, making this completely overmapped. I'd use 3 circles if it's me, no opinion for this, but it's okay-ish for an Extra
Call me back if you need!

everything is mandatory to be fixed.

peppy wrote:

THE THINGS WRITTEN BY QATS ARE NOT FINAL> IF YOU DONT AGREE THEN SAY YOU DONT AGREE>
I'm confused on this one, can I get an explain please?
pw384
Throwing my cents here. Maybe I need to stand out, share my voice and help with the situation.

To QATs
Subjective things are acceptable to oneself but not always good to others, espacially when you are in power.

Have you ever discussed before disqualify a map?

Ranking Criteria have lost their power bcz of such irresponsible disqualification. Where's the standards? How do you judge whether a map should be dq'd or not? Laws should never be invisible. We mappers could never have idea about whether a map is safe or not, thus making mapping an unhappy thing. It's unfair to us.

I wonder how QATs check maps. Different QATs have different standards. This is unfair to the mapping community. Things like extended sliders are controversial and I believe that some QATs like them while some don't like, and thus singletapping is always safe while extended sliders, triplets, huge jumps, hi-speed sliders, high speed streams etc are likely to be disqualified Whenever I download a new map I can only see singletappings throughout the whole mapset. I am sick of the mapping with no personnal style.

And what's more, how can you be qualified to become a QAT? No common people vote for this. No common people see the process of this. It is quite unfair.

00:49:763 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - The triplets used here are really great because:
1. It avoids boring rhythm. No one hopes to see 1/2 singletappings thoughtout the whole map.
2. It makes this part more playable.
3. It allows the player's mouse/pen to stop for a while, which could strengthen the rhythm, give a better flow, smoothen the spacing change from 1.66x to 2.54x and so on.
4. It is the symbol of the fade-in of the chorus.
5. We are never limited by the song. Making a beatmap fun is what we mappers do. Why should we be forced to follow the boring rhythm here even if we are mapping "Extra"?

01:01:502 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,1) - The short sliders used here are reasonable because:
1. Such 1/4 sliders are used commonly since 2013. Why did only this map get dq'd bcz of this?
2. These 1/4 sliders indicates the second half of the chorus. It adds to the playability otherwise it would be quite boring.

Modding:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following things are all subjective things. Feel free to reject any of them.

[Captin1's Extra]

Though I am not a fan of extended sliders, I have to admit that the use of extended sliders are quite reasonable and they plays well. I think I need to learn something from the map.

* 00:51:393 (2) - I prefer to divide it into a 1/2 slider and a circle with 1/4 interval. I believe it sounds quite well and if you put the circle on the next slider, this pattern will be more fun.

* 01:18:458 - I think it's better to add a note here. If the note is added, it will follow the instrumental line and indicate the end of the chorus; otherwise, 01:18:132 (1) - this slider tends to follow the vocal line, which I don't quite agree cuz vocal ends at here 01:19:600 - .

* 01:27:589 (1,2) - changing into 4 circles feels would be better from my point of view. 4 notes here shares the same status and sliders does not fit in my opinion.

* 02:10:632 (1) - The curve of the slider is somehow too extreme imo bcz it doesn't fit the overall style of this map. You can make the central angle smaller.

* 02:20:415 (1,2,1,1) - I don't like the flow here but since you like it, I appreciate it.

* 03:18:458 - What about adding a kiai fountain here?

* 04:10:306 (1,2) - YES THIS JUMP IS REALLY AWESOME PEOPLE IN AUTHORITY DON'T NERF IT PLZ

pro diff and plz keep on working!
Bearizm

384059043 wrote:

Throwing my cents here. Maybe I need to stand out, share my voice and help with the situation.

To QATs
Subjective things are acceptable to oneself but not always good to others, espacially when you are in power.

Have you ever discussed before disqualify a map?

Ranking Criteria have lost their power bcz of such irresponsible disqualification. Where's the standards? How do you judge whether a map should be dq'd or not? Laws should never be invisible. We mappers could never have idea about whether a map is safe or not, thus making mapping an unhappy thing. It's unfair to us.

I wonder how QATs check maps. Different QATs have different standards. This is unfair to the mapping community. Things like extended sliders are controversial and I believe that some QATs like them while some don't like, and thus singletapping is always safe while extended sliders, triplets, huge jumps, hi-speed sliders, high speed streams etc are likely to be disqualified Whenever I download a new map I can only see singletappings throughout the whole mapset. I am sick of the mapping with no personnal style.

And what's more, how can you be qualified to become a QAT? No common people vote for this. No common people see the process of this. It is quite unfair.

00:49:763 (1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4) - The triplets used here are really great because:
1. It avoids boring rhythm. No one hopes to see 1/2 singletappings thoughtout the whole map.
2. It makes this part more playable.
3. It allows the player's mouse/pen to stop for a while, which could strengthen the rhythm, give a better flow, smoothen the spacing change from 1.66x to 2.54x and so on.
4. It is the symbol of the fade-in of the chorus.
5. We are never limited by the song. Making a beatmap fun is what we mappers do. Why should we be forced to follow the boring rhythm here even if we are mapping "Extra"?

01:01:502 (1,2,1,2,1,2,1,1) - The short sliders used here are reasonable because:
1. Such 1/4 sliders are used commonly since 2013. Why did only this map get dq'd bcz of this?
2. These 1/4 sliders indicates the second half of the chorus. It adds to the playability otherwise it would be quite boring.
this is the funniest thing I've ever read. you complain about subjectivity in their criticism and yet, you're throwing out an adjective that contradicts your point. Brilliant mate literally 10/10 comedic genius. You don't simply make a map "fun" by overmapping. That would be unappreciative towards the song itself because you're basically ADDING things in, and that has never been the intention of extras, or any other difficulties in this game.
pw384

Bearizm wrote:

this is the funniest thing I've ever read. you complain about subjectivity in their criticism and yet, you're bringing out adjectives that contradicts your point. Brilliant mate literally 10/10 comedic genius. You don't simply make a map "fun" by overmapping. That would be unappreciative towards the song itself because you're basically ADDING things in, and that has never been the intention of extras, or any other difficulties in this game.
You probably misunderstand me. Blame my bad English. I just mean that QATs should dq maps following a visible ranking criteria, not subjective reasons cuz the 1/4 sliders are not banned, according to Ranking Criteria (and the definition of overmapping in it). But now that, subjective reason is allowed and that's why I think it's unreasonable.

btw, here are examples of additional tracks which gives map more fun:
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/13019
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/42092
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/16457
-Mo-
Just wanted to state opinions and lend what help I can.

00:35:986 (4) - The song’s calm atmosphere does not call for such overmapping.
Same kinda thing as what Charles said. I'd imagine this is here to add emphasis to the clap sound on 5 (where there's an increase in volume from 3). It works without this note, it works with this note. If it were up to me, I'd keep it.

Kind of a tougher call to make. I can't say I can hear something absolutely clearly on the 3s. If anything it sounds more like the synths end on this note. I wouldn't say that means this mapping is unjustified however, since there is a beat on 00:49:926 (2,2). If I had to pick out something to change, it would be to use sliders on 00:49:763 (1,1), but that's only an opinion.

I'd say there are definitely beats on the blue ticks. They're fairly subtle, but slider ends work perfectly fine for them.

03:16:013 (2,3,4,2,3,4) - This case is similar to 00:49:926 (2,3,4,2,3,4) - just more extreme. There is literally nothing in the music, making this completely overmapped.
It is similar to before where there are synth notes on 03:16:013 (2,2) and then they silence on 03:16:094 (3,3). The difference this time is that there are less instruments to back this section of the music up. I do agree that this is probably better to go with 1/2 beats here. I personally think it would be quite nice to continue the jump pattern using triangles with these.

As for similar rhythms, this is what I found:
01:54:246 (3) - The drum beat on 01:54:328 (4) isn't the same as is was previously in 00:35:986 (4). There is still the synth note carrying over from 01:54:165 (2), but I think this beat is less supported than before. Same as before: works with or without, but in my opinion, this time I'm leaning towards without.

02:19:763 (1) -; 03:27:589 (1) -; 03:53:839 (2) - For kick sliders, but these feel exactly the same as they were the first time, and I believe these are just fine. Just pointing them out just in case you do decide to change though.

Best of luck.
Bearizm

384059043 wrote:

You probably misunderstand me. Blame my bad English. I just mean that QATs should dq maps following a visible ranking criteria, not subjective reasons cuz the 1/4 sliders are not banned, according to Ranking Criteria (and the definition of overmapping in it)

btw, here are examples of additional tracks which gives map more fun:
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/13019
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/42092
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/16457
What you've listed are maps that were ranked from 2010-2012.. that's almost 3 full years ago. Standards change, and I hope you realize that.

Also

Tell me how 00:35:986 (4) - isn't overmapping? The QATs pointed this out. As well as these 00:50:007 (3) - 00:50:496 (3) - 03:16:094 (3) - 03:16:583 (3) - ?

For the kick sliders, yes they do play like 1/2s but there's always a chance that people can combo break because they're sliders, compared to those being circles. there aren't any 1/4 rhythm to back in up the in the first place, not even background noises that goes at a constant 1/4 rhythm. Their points DO make sense, and aren't subjective at all.
ithgyu
I don't really agree with that definition of overmapping bear, as long as the note compliments the song then I don't believe you can consider it overmapped, this is because the downside with having something that is actually overmapped is that it will feel off and makes a reasonable person think "wtf is that note doing there." I don't think someone should be 'punished' for contributing to the feel of the song, and that's exactly what i feel a lot of those kicksliders do.
Avishay
@Bearizm

Just like how 384059043's maps are old and outdated, the same goes for the definition of overmapping you posted.

I agree with Jelli, as long the way the notes are presented (hitsound, positioning) compliments the song it is fine, as for an example:

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/638019

Look at the doubles 00:55:437 (3,4) -, 01:00:626 (4,5) - etc. They are not mapped according to the song, at first the map was DQ due to that, afterwards Skystar replied with:

Skystar wrote:

Rhythm will never be "wrong" as long as the mapper chooses to use it proposely (unlike Cloud's case in his diff). It's all about "fit or not" when it comes to non-unrankable stuff like this. Personally, I like them. And find them fitting and fun to play. Otherwise I wouldn't have kept them at the first place. Identify with it or not, all depends on whether we have a similar sense or not.
and then the map got qualified and ranked, which leaves some reasons as for why the map was ranked even though the overmapping the QAT noted wasn't fixed:
1. QAT are biased towards Skystar, because well he/she is Skystar.
2. The QAT forgot about the map, it got ranked and they didn't want to embarass themselves.
3. They accepted the reasoning for the "overmap"

Now, which of the reasons it the actual reason the map got ranked? You tell me.

In both cases, here and there, in my opinion at the very least, the overmapped parts play just fine with unique toning.
Bearizm

Avishay wrote:

@Bearizm

Just like how 384059043's maps are old and outdated, the same goes for the definition of overmapping you posted.

I agree with Jelli, as long the way the notes are presented (hitsound, positioning) compliments the song it is fine, as for an example:

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/638019

Look at the doubles 00:55:437 (3,4) -, 01:00:626 (4,5) - etc. They are not mapped according to the song, at first the map was DQ due to that, afterwards Skystar replied with:

Skystar wrote:

Rhythm will never be "wrong" as long as the mapper chooses to use it proposely (unlike Cloud's case in his diff). It's all about "fit or not" when it comes to non-unrankable stuff like this. Personally, I like them. And find them fitting and fun to play. Otherwise I wouldn't have kept them at the first place. Identify with it or not, all depends on whether we have a similar sense or not.
and then the map got qualified and ranked, which leaves some reasons as for why the map was ranked even though the overmapping the QAT noted wasn't fixed:
1. QAT are biased towards Skystar, because well he/she is Skystar.
2. The QAT forgot about the map, it got ranked and they didn't want to embarass themselves.
3. They accepted the reasoning for the "overmap"

Now, which of the reasons it the actual reason the map got ranked? You tell me.

In both cases, here and there, in my opinion at the very least, the overmapped parts play just fine with unique toning.
This was about subjectivity though, and what the QATs pointed out weren't subjective at all. They were correct that in those spots they mentioned, there clearly aren't any triples, just 1/2. How are those subjective?

and as for your skystar map, I couldn't answer that either because there are skystar maps that I dislike such as his GD in licca, that contains overmapping, yet it passed through the qualification process (but lets not talk about other maps as they are irrelevant). Also, whether if the mapper chooses it purposely or not, it would still considered as overmapping due to the fact that it has absolutely nothing to back up that note and it doesn't/shouldn't matter whether if it makes sense to you or not that it should have a triple there here and there, as long as the song doesn't support that note, it's overmapping! I'm not saying that all kinds of overmapping is bad, I honestly believe this mapset's fine the way it is, but I was just trying to say that people have been shitting on QATs since forever and they deserve better for what they're trying to do! If people are so worked up over the ranking system then stop ranking them! No one's forcing you all to rank anything. simply saying "aww my favorite map can't get ranked so i'll blame the QATs for DQing it because they believe it could still have several improvements" is silly! Just leave it to the mapper whether if they agree to it or not, no need to bash QATs. Thankfully, Gaia still want to rank it, so that's great!

a bit off topic but, that's kind of what I'm trying to say this whole time. [last post here, arphi's right]
show more