forum

I want to be a competitive player

posted
Total Posts
show more
Yuudachi-kun
I compete against my friends list. That's all I can do.
jasian
Come back in 2-3 years. You'll be lucky to reach under rank 1000.
winber1
canadians cannot be professional
EneT
Yeah sometimes I wish I was a Unicorn

Joking aside though, probably take you years to reach competitive level
bigfeh
competitively you should go play cs:go, league or something, but not osu
Yuudachi-kun
I think progression in Osu is a lot more satisfying than in those other types of games simply because the game IS so simple and not overly complicated. You know exactly what to do to improve and the sum of your efforts manifests itself in your rank. Then you get to rank sub-1000 and try to compete but end up like Winber1.
bigfeh
Can we agree that the competitive "scene" for osu! is nearly nil? Because that's what I'm talking about

You can make competitions out of everything, from online games to who can fart the loudest - but it doesn't mean you should and most importantly it doesn't mean it's appropriate
XgenSlayer
I'm assuming that the opening poster means he wants to play at a high level, not necessarily in a competitive way. There definitely are high level players who play casually.

Kheldragar wrote:

Then you get to rank sub-1000 and try to compete but end up like Winber1.
xD
pandaBee

bigfeh wrote:

Can we agree that the competitive "scene" for osu! is nearly nil? Because that's what I'm talking about

You can make competitions out of everything, from online games to who can fart the loudest - but it doesn't mean you should and most importantly it doesn't mean it's appropriate
How in the world is it not "appropriate" to play osu competitively? What in the flipping french fries are you talking about.
bigfeh
Oh wow, so I was reading the post again and turns out that's an exact quote from a post of mine. Cool.

Still, high level != competitive play. And while we're at it, there are a lot of "pros" around that just plain suck at the games they make a living out of
pandaBee

bigfeh wrote:

Oh wow, so I was reading the post again and turns out that's an exact quote from a post of mine. Cool.

Still, high level != competitive play. And while we're at it, there are a lot of "pros" around that just plain suck at the games they make a living out of
I highly doubt that there are many high ranked players that don't at least put a little bit of a competitive aspect to this game. Striving to overcome others, to beat your friends, top people's scores, pass players in pp, etc. etc. are all a form of competition. That's hard to get away from in this game unless you're playing offline all the time.
bigfeh

pandaBee wrote:

bigfeh wrote:

How in the world is it not "appropriate" to play osu competitively? What in the flipping french fries are you talking about.
You made an inference that's just not retarded because it sounds like I might have implied so.

I didn't, and it's still wrong.

I'm saying it does not exist at the moment and the shape of the game doesn't help that.It could work, but since there's no incentive and no support for that kind of thing, I doubt it's going to get anywhere

EDIT:

pandaBee wrote:

I highly doubt that there are many high ranked players that don't at least put a little bit of a competitive aspect to this game. Striving to overcome others, to beat your friends, top people's scores, pass players in pp, etc. etc. are all a form of competition. That's hard to get away from in this game unless you're playing offline all the time.
I've said this already but I'll be more explicit this time: competition != competitive play.

because my response looked retarded because I got ninja'd
fucking ninjas are everywhere
Synpoo

winber1 wrote:

we're professional at hunting moose
bigfeh

winber1 wrote:

inb4 canadians apologise for not being professionals
cheezstik
osu is an e-sport guyz wow!!1!!1! qcup hype
Cytoskeleton
Though it'd be fun to see TSM vs CLG in osu! play
cheezstik
SKT T1 sayonara-bye
nevermore
This is the problem with players that come from other games, they think osu is a competitive so they spend all their precious time asking how to get good and shitposting in reddit instead of actually playing the game.
Yuudachi-kun

nevermore wrote:

This is the problem with players that come from other games, they think osu is a competitive so they spend all their precious time asking how to get good and shitposting in reddit instead of actually playing the game.
I guess I'd be much higher if I didn't do that. :?
silmarilen
can we please stop this bullshit about competitive/pro = money is involved?
everybody knows what is ment when you mention those words in osu! context, and if you dont you have no place in these discussions.

competitive/pro in osu context means people who are high on the rankings and trying their best to get to those top spots.

*looks at bigfeh*
Vuelo Eluko
im a competitive shitposter but im not a professional shitposter
Yuudachi-kun
Shouldn't it be low in the rankings?
incelost
In the meantime, I'm just sitting here and waiting for drum drum :D
Mahogany

Kheldragar wrote:

I dunno, would you rather say "I'm a high ranking player" or "I'm a low ranking player"?

'cause most people would probably go with the first one.

Maybe it's a situation like that "Could care less" phrase that always annoys me
Granger

Riince wrote:

Getting paid to shitpost. Now that would be something.
cheezstik

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Kheldragar wrote:

I dunno, would you rather say "I'm a high ranking player" or "I'm a low ranking player"?

'cause most people would probably go with the first one.
WWW at #1 is currently the highest ranking player, and his rank number is low, but that's not what you should describe when you describe rank, so it would be correct to say he is currently higher ranked than anyone else, not lower.

Mahoganytooth wrote:

Maybe it's a situation like that "Could care less" phrase that always annoys me
The correct saying is "couldn't care less", as in the person saying it cares so little that they are at the maximum capacity of not caring, hence them being unable to care any less. "Could care less" implies they have space to care less, so that they would care more than someone that couldn't care less.
bigfeh

Kheldragar wrote:

nevermore wrote:

I guess I'd be much higher if I didn't do that. :?
don't do drugs, kheldragar, they're not good for you. You don't need to be high all the time :(

Kheldragar wrote:

High ranks = low numbers
Low ranks = high numbers

silmarilen wrote:

can we please stop this bullshit about competitive/pro = money is involved?
everybody knows what is ment when you mention those words in osu! context, and if you dont you have no place in these discussions.

competitive/pro in osu context means people who are high on the rankings and trying their best to get to those top spots.

*looks at bigfeh*
Oh, you

look, here's the thing: I get "pro" can mean anything between professional and good, but competitive most often does not. When you say competitive, it's mostly in the sense of "play being taken seriously"

it wasn't even my intention to shitpost because of the wording used by op - if it were, I would've done a much better job of taking a crap on his/her head
Vuelo Eluko
a lot of people definitely take it seriously
happystick done attending college and is streaming osu! fulltime
Yuudachi-kun
I thought he dropped out to stream osu.

Which is retarded and you should FINISH it before going to stream osu if the above is correct.
Vuelo Eluko

Kheldragar wrote:

I thought he dropped out to stream osu.

Which is retarded and you should FINISH it before going to stream osu if the above is correct.
happystick was pretty vague about it, so i have no idea if thats the case or not. i want to assume no.
bigfeh
Well you can make a living out of streaming but that's hardly competitive play, is it
Topic Starter
Mporiyoki

GoldenWolf wrote:

I don't think you'll be competing at a high level until the next 3 years

If at all
Relax, I'm a competitive musician. I'm sure I could catch up ^^;
Bauxe

Mporiyoki wrote:

GoldenWolf wrote:

I don't think you'll be competing at a high level until the next 3 years

If at all
Relax, I'm a competitive musician. I'm sure I could catch up ^^;
haha 8-) 8-) 8-)
Topic Starter
Mporiyoki

winber1 wrote:

I don't know what ails you but it grieves me that I have met a judgmental character for a person and from a side neighboring country that knows nothing of me nor ever will.
Bauxe

Mporiyoki wrote:

winber1 wrote:

I don't know what ails you but it grieves me that I have met a judgmental character for a person and from a side neighboring country that knows nothing of me nor ever will.
Looks to me like you are making more posts per month than plays per month.

You are well on your way to becoming an osu! rhythm champion!
XgenSlayer

Mporiyoki wrote:

winber1 wrote:

Relax, winber does this regularly. He's just trolling.
E m i
oh :(
Yuudachi-kun

[ Momiji ] wrote:

oh :(
I regularly compete against Mommy. ;)
-sev

Mporiyoki wrote:

winber1 wrote:

Are you new to the internet?
ZenithPhantasm

Bauxe wrote:

Looks to me like you are making more posts per month than plays per month.

You are well on your way to becoming an osu! rhythm champion!
This and...

Riince wrote:

My shitposts are better than your shitposts. Get on my level pls.
show more