forum

osu! World Cup 2014 - Mappool Discussion

posted
Total Posts
show more
Aki Like Snow

fartownik wrote:

So guys, while BD was doing his calculations about star rating, I've done my own research about this year's and previous year's group stage mappool.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... edit#gid=0

I hope this can illuminate some issues about this year's picks.
LOL, best research ever.
KRZY

fartownik wrote:

So guys, while BD was doing his calculations about star rating, I've done my own research about this year's and previous year's group stage mappool.

#FartoForNobelPrize2014
Nyquill
so according to this data, i'm the hero of OWC2014?
pooptartsonas
Nyquill our lord and savior

OWC needs more little boys
Varetyr

fartownik wrote:

Remind me of what AmaiHachimitsu said about the picks last year, it was something like :
In almost every single map there's a loli
in Roze she is buried
this made me laugh so hard I still remember it today, halp
fartownik

Varetyr wrote:

Remind me of what AmaiHachimitsu said about the picks last year, it was something like :
In almost every single map there's a loli
in Roze she is buried
this made me laugh so hard I still remember it today, halp
Yeh, it was a running joke on our mumble last year as well.
GladiOol

fartownik wrote:

Lmao, this is gold. We'll be sure to stay on par with delivering little girls. Do not worry.
Glazbom
Nwolf
hm having one or two <2 min maps wouldn't be bad at all for more strategic picks, since shorter maps often lead to making combo breaks having a higher impact since there's less recovery time.
silmarilen
there is red like roses, which is, combo wise, a short map.
and some maps which barely reach 2 minutes
HungrySlothXI

fartownik wrote:

Well most of the new maps use little girls as a background but I don't see any reason why it should be that way. If this statistical data really creates a correlation then we might have to do something about it XD
[ BJ ]
I think it's ridiculous how one team can ban all the hard rock with both of their map bans or same with Hidden. I believe there should be more maps in each category so the strategy would actually be to get rid of the maps they don't like rather than just getting rid of a mod in general. It's stupid that a team could just suck at HD and ban both hd picks and be totally fine. I hope the later pools have 5+ in each of HR and HD pools. Free mod barely counts because you rarely see quad fc's and when people use mods in free mod it usually ends up not mattering or costing them.
silmarilen
uhm.. there are 3 maps in each modpool, not 2. and being able to ban 2 out of 3 is called tactics.
Pizzicato
The feel of getting 0-4'd

jk it was a fun game austria :D/
Omgforz

Pizzicato wrote:

The feel of getting 0-4'd

jk it was a fun game austria :D/
I feel bad for doing it this year where you guys actually have a chance. :<

gg wp
Xytox

Omgforz wrote:

I feel bad for doing it this year where you guys actually have a chance. :<
The seeding could have been a little...better.
Topic Starter
Loctav
Mappool is out
Lach
stars>5.20 stars<5.40

So that's how they're selecting maps. :(
Topic Starter
Loctav

Lach wrote:

stars>5.20 stars<5.40

They told me that they dont even pay attention to that, lol
Yarissa
Music Revolver was a HR pick last year in best of 16, why is it a HD pick this year? You'd assume the general skill level has risen, not fallen...
Natteke desu

Kaoru wrote:

Music Revolver was a HR pick last year in best of 16, why is it a HD pick this year? You'd assume the general skill level has risen, not fallen...
please, hd much harder
@2014, year of DT
Lach

Loctav wrote:

Lach wrote:

stars>5.20 stars<5.40

They told me that they dont even pay attention to that, lol
It's kinda strange though. The map brackets are weirdly close together.
Garpo
Need to check how many little girls are in the backgrounds...
Lach
I count 19. There's a few maps with 2 girls
KRZY
Make sure you also counted buried ones
Kamikaze
LMAO KRZY
fartownik
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing counted little girls again, seems like the tendency is slowly going down, we're on a good way to avoid the crisis
Mismagius
I was going to do the star rating analysis but the little girls one is so much better that mine lost my purpose
xxdeathx
Whoa, sellenite's map barely ranked a few days ago.
Cherry Blossom
Izayoi Sakura HD.
Hope you can play jumps with HD hehe, inb4 99% with 1~10 misses.
Lechenaultia, enjoy your sliderbreaks :)
Kamikaze
dem starz
AmaiHachimitsu

Cherry Blossom wrote:

Lechenaultia, enjoy your sliderbreaks :)

Enjoy your sleep
Aka
got really disappointed of hr bracket, all of the maps are just about random big spacing and some curve patterns |:
but seems like its hard to find a lvl of hr maps for round of 16s, i will be really excited to see the quarter-finals mappool though

also wanted to meantion that the last nomod map is total W T F
overall i dislike the amount of those curveashell/unrankableoroverlapped sliders in the maps. i do really like to play maps which are mapped well and must say previous year was much better from that ~mapping side. i felt somehow disgusting while playing some of those maps honestly and since this is a discussion thread i'd like to share my impressions, nothing more, nothing less~
Garpo
Some of the No mods maps are going to be full of chokes everywhere...
Also there is no mappack for RO16?
Kert
This was one is also good enough with various types of maps, apart from a big bunch of reused maps once again.
Megpoid GUMI & Kagamine Rin - Invisible
P*Light - Poppin' Shower
Blackhole - Lagomorphic
Zeami - Music Revolver
Hatsune Miku - Hiatus (? don't remember exactly)
I've seen and played all these in previous OWCs and it's not exactly fun to play them again and again

P.S. Someone should make statistics of reused maps
Nwolf
pls I've already done that last year

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
buny

Kert wrote:

This was one is also good enough with various types of maps, apart from a big bunch of reused maps once again.
Megpoid GUMI & Kagamine Rin - Invisible
P*Light - Poppin' Shower
Blackhole - Lagomorphic
Zeami - Music Revolver
Hatsune Miku - Hiatus (? don't remember exactly)
I've seen and played all these in previous OWCs and it's not exactly fun to play them again and again

P.S. Someone should make statistics of reused maps
There's so many maps added each year, and even more maps that haven't been used in OWC. I don't see why we have to reuse any
chainpullz

Aka wrote:

got really disappointed of hr bracket, all of the maps are just about random big spacing and some curve patterns |:
but seems like its hard to find a lvl of hr maps for round of 16s, i will be really excited to see the quarter-finals mappool though
I really get the feeling that they are picking random jump maps for HR which is really odd considering HR is an accuracy/reading mod first and an aim mod second (at least in my opinion).

Edit: I guess the sellenite map is the only one that's super jump focused but I still agree with your point overall. Hopefully next round we see some more interesting HR maps.
sellyme

chainpullz wrote:

HR is an accuracy/reading mod first and an aim mod second (at least in my opinion).
While I certainly agree that HR is accuracy-heavy, it's really not a reading mod at the OWC level. I highly doubt that anyone competing in the Round of 16 has trouble reading AR10.
Kert
Some information on reused maps for each OWC using the list provided by Nwolf (in pics)

pixx
OWC #2

Looks probably acceptable
But not so cool anymore because diffs are used in exactly the same way (except one map stopped being a tiebraker)

OWC #3

What the h e l l
How creative it is to reuse 15 maps from the previous OWC including 2 which were used every year??
I swear osu! already had atleast a few thousand other beatmaps to choose from during that time

OWC 2013

OH MY GAHD
Reused 15 maps from the previous year again and then 5 more maps from OWC #2 and one from OWC #1
Where are we going?
Alice map was reused and yet no changes (was HR previous year - HR again. hi! different maps)
I can only agree that forza map reuse could be kind of cool because there's really a lot of time between OWC #1 and OWC 2013 and also it became HR pick
Apart from that one ^ the progressive use of already used maps becomes pretty bad if you ask me

OWC 2014

It's only 1/16 and there is already 12 reused maps
Are we going to have 30-36 reused maps this year with this saddening pace?
Please, don't. I really hope you aren't planning to do it
As of today osu! has more than ~5000 maps that can be downloaded from website (ranked section). Even more exist beyond april 2011.
You definetly can find some other hidden gems inside this huge collection. Don't lie

That's all of my kinda rant here. Don't take it personal though, I am not blaming someone in particular
Just asking you to, please, rethink what are you doing
Thanks for reading
- Your regular OWC participant Kert.
show more