forum

[resolved] [Editor] Save up to maximum 10 undos

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +0
Topic Starter
Bara-
In the editor, it gets really laggy if you do too much, since it saves all for undos (https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/228559)
We know this is because it saves all actions you did.
Why not save up to a miximum of 10 undos (or a custom value) so you can still undo things, but it won't lag the editor.
I know you can disable Undos to stop the lag, but sometimes you accidentally move the slider and you don't know where you put it

(This is from https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/228559, so about the lag in the editor)

Shirayuki wrote:

It's from Undo History, just save and go out of editor once in a while / a simple restart will reset this.

baraatje123 wrote:

I now know why this is happening
I can confirm: https://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/213339 (Don't mark current thread dupe, the thread I listed will get duped)

MillhioreF wrote:

This is why there's an option in the options menu to disable undos. It should fix all of your memory problems at the cost of, well, not being able to undo.

baraatje123 wrote:

Yeah, but sometimes you do something wrong, like moving a slider to a wrong place and you want it back, but you don't know where it is, which is why I'd say it should save up to a max of 10 undos (Shall I make feature request for this, to set the maximum amount of undos it'll save to prevent lag in the editor?)

MillhioreF wrote:

That'd probably be a good idea. Even 10 seems perfectly fine for most use cases, though.

baraatje123 wrote:

Yeah, but sometimes you do something wrong, like moving a slider to a wrong place and you want it back, but you don't know where it is, which is why I'd say it should save up to a max of 10 undos (Shall I make feature request for this, to set the maximum amount of undos it'll save to prevent lag in the editor?)

MillhioreF wrote:

That'd probably be a good idea. Even 10 seems perfectly fine for most use cases, though.
Oinari-sama
Will be even cooler if the max undo steps can be user-specified like in many programs.
Topic Starter
Bara-
I said that: Why not save up to a maximum of 10 undos (or a custom value) :P
Topic Starter
Bara-
Any more people agree?
A Mystery
Hello

I totally agree with this. Since my computer is quite old the memory it takes literally makes my computer unusable after a while, and when I notice the lag spikes it is always too late... It also takes quite a lot of my CPU usage and osu! just stops working (black screen with lagg-spike-movable-cursor)

Note that I have 3.2 gig available and 1.5~2 is already used for Windows, other programs...

I would like to see a possibility where you can change the undo value, or a maximum that is quite enough, but not infinite.
I use undos a lot in the editor and not only for mistakes.

I personally think 10 is too little, but a limit would definitely be a good idea for both older and newer machines. (maybe you should edit title of topic)
A Mystery
Bumping this because now I noticed that leaving the editor doesn't reduce the amount of RAM and when back to editing it just starts working very slow after a minute. I tried suggestions like F5/test play (only works sometimes) and revert to saved after saving (didn't work). Yesterday I hit 1.2 gigabytes o.o. I have to restart osu! every time and it is getting a bit annoying. I also think it is weird why RAM isn't going back to normal when leaving the editor o.o

If this is not going to be an option available then at least change something about how it works as far as possible because again - my computer is quite old.
Ciyus Miapah
add some history box can fix this problem i think, but i think 10 undos didnt makes RAM back, how about just 5 or 3 undos?
Topic Starter
Bara-
I read in a post from TheVileOne that he is working on this
There will be a cap at 20, if I understand correctly
A Mystery
gg wp
Topic Starter
Bara-
This is what he said (after rereading I think I got it wrong)

TheVileOne wrote:

It should only be storing at max 20 states unless something is broken and causing it to exceed that. In any case testplaying clears the undo states. If this does not lower the memory usage then there is something wrong with the disposal of undo states if this problem is actually related to undo states and not something else related to marathon maps.
Topic Starter
Bara-
I believe this has been added, can someone confirm this?
Cerulean Veyron
Nope, i think it's fine undo-ing a hundred times than what you need. And i don't think the richies, like me, need this FR killer like the other ones(e.g. move notes with arrow keys/hide interface on replays/etc....).

btw, I'm using the latest Samsung Simple 21.5 Monitor that run programs particularly smoother, by then, no single lag hell when i undo notes a lot. And yeah, richies doesn't need that to rage hard just for the undos. One more thing..... I won't agree with this, if i talk sht again(?)

No? Then fine, we'll see in the future days. If the crowd of mappers would tell about this request is positive, "gg". If negative, "fuufuffffufuufuuu kill it pls".
A Mystery

Gray Veyron wrote:

Nope, i think it's fine undo-ing a hundred times than what you need. And i don't think the richies, like me, need this FR killer like the other ones(e.g. move notes with arrow keys/hide interface on replays/etc....).

btw, I'm using the latest Samsung Simple 21.5 Monitor that run programs particularly smoother, by then, no single lag hell when i undo notes a lot. And yeah, richies doesn't need that to rage hard just for the undos. One more thing..... I won't agree with this, if i talk sht again(?)

No? Then fine, we'll see in the future days. If the crowd of mappers would tell about this request is positive, "gg". If negative, "fuufuffffufuufuuu kill it pls".
wat.

Anyway the test build now has a "clear undo history" check in the editor so it will probably be added soon

Thank you <3
TheVileOne
Something was broken. The memory issue should be entirely resolved.