forum

Add pp as a scoring system in standard mode

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +2,788
show more
Bauxe

Kyou-kun wrote:

Bauxe wrote:

I think a lot of mid tier players would lose motivation if something like this was introduced. I don't really like the idea at all.
Why would you lose motivation because of a more accurate ranking system? As a "mid-tier" player myself, I would be more motivated to see my scores get high ranks, since I know they actually mean something.
By mid-tier, I'm not talking top few thousand. I mean the range from maybe 5k to 50k. Getting a top 50 score will seem impossible to them.
Topic Starter
Ohrami
Why should it feel possible? Further, on what maps are 5k-50k ranked players getting top 50 scores frequently with the current system? I don't know of any myself.
Drezi
Why should anyone hold ranks they clearly don't deserve? This ain't charity. They can aim for country ranks.
Ziggo

Kyou-kun wrote:

Can you offer reasons for why you wouldn't like it? Do you think the pp system is inaccurate, or perhaps the current score system is more accurate? If so, why?
The main reason is that I think the current scoring system is more fun. Some examples: There are more ways to get a good rank besides going super fast or having godlike accuracy. Also you don't need to restart a map every time you get some 100s at the start if you want to get into the rankings.

The second point is, that changes in the pp-system would change the scoring system every time. This would result in even less changes to the system. Also, I believe a consistent scoring system is better in general.
Bauxe

Drezi wrote:

Why should anyone hold ranks they clearly don't deserve? This ain't charity. They can aim for country ranks.
You make it sound like the same 50 people should have rank 1 to 50 on every map...
Topic Starter
Ohrami

Bauxe wrote:

You make it sound like the same 50 people should have rank 1 to 50 on every map...
If they set the 50 best scores on the map, then yes, they should. That's sort of the point of an accurate, skill-based ranking system.

Ziggo wrote:

The main reason is that I think the current scoring system is more fun. Some examples: There are more ways to get a good rank besides going super fast or having godlike accuracy. Also you don't need to restart a map every time you get some 100s at the start if you want to get into the rankings.
Why should there be more ways to get a good rank besides going super fast or having godlike accuracy? Those are the skills that deserve high ranks, and currently, they often get low ones instead. As for the 100s at the start not mattering as much: Do you really think that makes sense? That a lower accuracy score with the same mods and combo often beats a higher accuracy score because of that?

Ziggo wrote:

The second point is, that changes in the pp-system would change the scoring system every time. This would result in even less changes to the system. Also, I believe a consistent scoring system is better in general.
Yes, I mentioned this. Why would a consistent but flawed scoring system be better than an evolving but accurate one?
Mythras
this sounds unfair to flashlight

though i do hate flashlight
Drezi

Bauxe wrote:

Well, if every top50 player achieved the best they are capable of on every map, why should others take their place? It's not like top players care about hards and below anyway as far as I know.
Topic Starter
Ohrami

VioletMaid wrote:

this sounds unfair to flashlight

though i do hate flashlight
Flashlight already gives bonus pp, and not an insignificant amount.
haha5957
Even the simplest (new) scoring method that might be added is still going to be better than the current one.

I mean...... I also do think that current pp system is not exactly perfect and might change(which sucks, since your pp might drop randomly) in future.
However, does that mean current best scoring system makes more sense ans should be left unchanged?

A score system that doesnt even care the first 10 100s and that does care last one 100?
Score system that takes 120pp right away from you just because you decided to HD on a previously-DT-best scored-map?

hello?

be a person who knows how to think about how it can be better than before, not a crybaby who says NO all the time.

There is no such ing as perfect, but there is a thing called "better"
Lanturn
It'd be interesting. Getting all 300's to the end of the song, you have only 4-5 notes left, You are placed 10th on the map, then completely f up the final stream. You'll end up dropping from 10th to 500th. If we take this route with the scoring system, this is exactly what's going to happen. Scores won't be just scaling up, they will be increasing / decreasing as you play through the song.

An issue that I think would have problems is the lower diffs where there is literally only 1pp or a few extra points in Aim/Acc/Spd difference between each mod. That means anyone who can spin would only have to run two mods (DT HR) and they'd have a first even on medium length spinners.
At this point, having an option to sort by PP earned would be better than having the scoreboard adjust since it wouldn't be the top PP players in first. The current system also has this problem, but I see it being even worse with the new system since mods no longer would give a set value, and would probably make the multipliers within only a few decimal places of each other because of how close they are in performance.
It depends on how it is calculated as I'm no mathematician to be able to even comprehend how it might be calculated, but the difference between mods on easy songs, and mods on hard songs is extremely big. We have to make sure all ranges of difficulties can be calculated properly.

Just some things I thought of while reading through this thread for a few days. I'm not against this, nor am I supporting it. I'm just going to stay neutral in this whole thing.
PP is out of my reach with this new system since it doesn't work to my style of playing so I've honestly just given up on it. I've never really been competitive anyways, no do I care really about improving my speed skills. I'd rather improve at something I have fun doing (Flashlight and 100%ing slow songs no one has before.)

Is this a good idea? Yes, very much so. However, I still think there are lots of problems that need to be taken care before we can safely transfer over to it. Many of which have already been listed. Right now I think it is way too early still to be pushing this feature as hard as this thread seems to be wanting to. The system isn't even closed to being finished with the other modes, Seems like there is still some balancing issues to deal with, etc. If there is going to be such a big change as switching over to a different method of scoring, everything has to be completed and ready to go, doing bits and pieces at a time would make it a disaster, especially with how delicate the system is with reasons you (kyou) and tom have mentioned.
Ziggo

Kyou-kun wrote:

Why should there be more ways to get a good rank besides going super fast or having godlike accuracy? Those are the skills that deserve high ranks, and currently, they often get low ones instead.
Well, guess we have different views about skill then. I think ranks like top HD or FL scores are well desevered.

Kyou-kun wrote:

As for the 100s at the start not mattering as much: Do you really think that makes sense? That a lower accuracy score with the same mods and combo often beats a higher accuracy score because of that?
Yes, I do. Because you can easily retry over 100s at the start, so they should be way less important than 100s later on.
dennischan
pp is far too inaccurate for anything like this.
it only considers max combo and acc, which are not sufficent for any case of score calculation.
there is no pattern recognization or anything that could determine the skill of a player accurately.

I think you are getting to hyped up over a system which is not operational.
Before per hitobject data can be provided,
it is simply nonsense to base scores on it.

maybe this should be implemented, but in the far future after pp is fully functional and gives accurate scoring.
then we can talk about this.

ps:FL is much harder than DT. DT is just high speed spamming. (excluding sayo's plays)
Drezi

dennischan wrote:

ps:FL is much harder than DT. DT is just high speed spamming. (excluding sayo's plays)
Not sure if serious.
Fudgy
I really hope this will be the case for osu!mania in the future. For now, using DT is useless because it's extremely hard to beat a no-mod score when there is a score limit and DT does not boost score.

DT scores are harder to achieve and should be on top of the rankings and also boost performance.
jesse1412

Ziggo wrote:

Kyou-kun wrote:

Can you offer reasons for why you wouldn't like it? Do you think the pp system is inaccurate, or perhaps the current score system is more accurate? If so, why?

If you're not going super fast or producing scores with godlike accuracy/aim your score isn't good (relatively) and hence should not be rewarded with a spot in the leader boards.
Topic Starter
Ohrami

dennischan wrote:

pp is far too inaccurate for anything like this.
it only considers max combo and acc, which are not sufficent for any case of score calculation.
there is no pattern recognization or anything that could determine the skill of a player accurately.

I think you are getting to hyped up over a system which is not operational.
Before per hitobject data can be provided,
it is simply nonsense to base scores on it.

maybe this should be implemented, but in the far future after pp is fully functional and gives accurate scoring.
then we can talk about this.

It sounds to me like you don't understand how pp works. It does consider every hit object in the map, and calculates the beatmap's difficulty based on the average and maximum strain of your aim, speed, and accuracy. Sometimes this can cause inaccurate calculations, but those are pretty much always only inaccurate for the overall ranking system, and don't really affect individual leaderboards. Yes, Koigokoro is overrated in terms of pp, but each individual score on the map can be placed very accurately. In fact, I think pp works better as a scoring system than as a ranking system.

As for saying "DT is just high speed spamming", that's your inner rank 30,000 speaking.

Ziggo wrote:

Well, guess we have different views about skill then. I think ranks like top HD or FL scores are well desevered.
What about getting 95% FC with Flashlight is more skillful than 90% FC (or even less than FC) with DT on FREEDOM DiVE? Do you really think those two scores are even comparable? One is doable by a few players if they put enough time into the game; the other is impossible for any player at the current time, no matter how much time they put into the game. pp already considers how much DT increases difficulty by recalculating, so DT gives larger bonuses to difficult maps (as it should), where Flashlight's bonus is static (as it should be).

Ziggo wrote:

Kyou-kun wrote:

As for the 100s at the start not mattering as much: Do you really think that makes sense? That a lower accuracy score with the same mods and combo often beats a higher accuracy score because of that?
Yes, I do. Because you can easily retry over 100s at the start, so they should be way less important than 100s later on.
So because those 100s are easier to fix, you think it shouldn't matter as much? What's the reasoning behind that? All the hit circles have the same judgment, and ignoring variations in speed, it's equally easy to get a 100 on all of them.
Kaeru
I wouldn't mind being able to sort plays by pp gains, but I don't want performance points to become the main scoring system. We already have enough people spamming DT on everything and this would just encourage that kind of play style further rather than teaching people to become accurate. If you can get a high accuracy with DT on a difficult song then you deserve to hold the top 50 on that map. I don't think it's fair to completely throw the other mods out the window. Ether go for pure pp gains or try to achieve high scores on maps, do you really need both at the same time?

In short, I don't really care if a score is deemed more impressive or not by the pp system. These biases will always exist, and removing score will just make this into an even bigger problem. Not to mention ruining all the current scores and making everything into a big mess. I think everything works fine how it is now. Being able to sort scores by pp is a much better idea in my opinion (and there are already a few topics that suggest that).

I agree that the current system is far from perfect, but I don't think the pp system is meant to be the main scoring system.
Topic Starter
Ohrami
Speed and aim are often better than accuracy. Accuracy is often better than speed and aim. pp calculates this and decides which score involved the most skill. I don't see how it's encouraging players to be less accurate. thelewa is known for having great accuracy, where his other skills aren't really comparable, and he's rank #5 overall by the pp system. How would this be possible if pp encouraged speed and aim but not accuracy?

The fact is that speed and aim are vastly underrated with the current system, whereas pp is balanced.
Vuelo Eluko
DT best mod
make it give all the pp
and 1.13x thx
tu much hd hr pushing dt plays off the scoreboard when not as impressiv

better alternative to pp scoring
Amianki
I like this idea enough to match your stars.

Hope this gets included simply because it pissed me off how I turned an FC-5 into an FC but still lost about 10pp once because my accuracy was slightly lower.
Fudgy
Can someone explain to me why the overall pp-based ranking is accepted and considered accurate by the majority of players but at the same time, the score-based map rankings are still considered to be the appropriate way of sorting performances on each map?

How can someone think that global rankings and map rankings should use a different method? How does that even make sense?

How come the overall rankings do not use score, if it's supposedly more "honorific" and "accurate" than pp on each individual map?

Is there something obvious I overlooked which makes the situation more complicated that I made it seem?
Kodehawa_old

Ziggo wrote:

That'd be awful. I hope this will never happen.
xasuma

CalignoBot wrote:

Hope this gets included simply because it pissed me off how I turned an FC-5 into an FC but still lost about 10pp once because my accuracy was slightly lower.
That is not the point. I think that will be implemented regardless soon-ish (I linked it in an earlier page). So you don't have to lose pp for a 'better' score anymore. But that is not what the discussion is about here. :p

Im gonna remain neutral for the rest of this thread I think :B
Vuelo Eluko

Fudgyking wrote:

Can someone explain to me why the overall pp-based ranking is accepted and considered accurate by the majority of players but at the same time, the score-based map rankings are still considered to be the appropriate way of sorting performances on each map?

How can someone think that global rankings and map rankings should use a different method? How does that even make sense?

How come the overall rankings do not use score, if it's supposedly more "honorific" and "accurate" than pp on each individual map?

Is there something obvious I overlooked which makes the situation more complicated that I made it seem?
Because Score is, in effect, a "perfect" way to compare scores and more precise [maps can get up to 1.5bil score, pp doesnt really go above 500. less room for error on the scoreboard this way.] since otherwise there will be like 5 sets of the same amount of pp on the scoreboard for your average full dthd/hdhr scoreboard.

Also there's no obfuscation. People will know exactly how they got on the scoreboards because the way score is calculated is perfectly common knowledge and makes for absolute accuracy and is better for comparison purposes.

And it's always been that way.
Topic Starter
Ohrami
But it's not perfect. It's flawed. You also don't seem to have read the third post in this thread.

On an insane map, 1x100 makes a difference with pp, so it's as precise as it needs to be.
Vuelo Eluko

Kyou-kun wrote:

But it's not perfect. It's flawed. You also don't seem to have read the third post in this thread.

On an insane map, 1x100 makes a difference with pp, so it's as precise as it needs to be.

lets take into account you cant.. and will never see your PP on the play in game while playing... for many reasons such as it just feeling crappy mechanically, i.e the first 10% of the map or so you wont see any pay off for hitting those circles at all, and it's not every single note that will increase this 'in game pp score' so the gameplay feels disconnected from scoring, especially considering most plays arent going to be worth much pp anyway compared to the players "best" plays so it will just be demoralizing in game. And because the way PP is calculated.. and because unranked maps do exist.. etc..

That aside, if we keep the way the game works right now and have score used in game [which we will], just not for anything but measuring your individual circle clicks, you're playing the map and there's this arbitrary number on the top right called "Score" while on the left the scoreboard just has combo and PP. That kind of disconnect doesn't really promote competition but just obfuscates it. Why even show your play underneath the scoreboard in-game if it's just going to show your score/combo compared to their pp/combo, how would you even climb onto the scoreboard whilst playing since PP isnt even calculated til the end?

And on easy-normals its going to be rather silly to just see something like "38 pp" repeated 50 times on 2 different maps that might have a very different max combo like 300 vs 1000 but they were worth the same PP and everyone SS'd it so whose to say what's different about playing them? :roll:

If anything, just get rid of HD HR getting a decimal advantage over DT in score multiplier, and get rid of Half Time scores showing up entirely, and scoreboards are perfect the way they are imo. There are even less reasons why Peppy would disagree with that proposal but even so there's still a 0% chance of it happening because he hates touching the scoreboards.

On a final note, Peppy severed the association between PP and actual rank on maps with ppv2 came out, i dont think he'd link them again.

p.s wouldnt mind being able to see scores by PP rank with a filter like friends/country etc as a supporter though. As Global its just too much.
Drezi

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

lets take into account you cant.. and will never see your PP on the play in game while playing... for many reasons such as it just feeling crappy mechanically, i.e the first 10% of the map or so you wont see any pay off for hitting those circles at all, and it's not every single note that will increase this 'in game pp score' so the gameplay feels disconnected from scoring, especially considering most plays arent going to be worth much pp anyway compared to the players "best" plays so it will just be demoralizing in game.
Who looks at their score while playing?? It's just a meaningless large number.
Topic Starter
Ohrami
Where do I start...

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

lets take into account you cant.. and will never see your PP on the play in game while playing... for many reasons such as it just feeling crappy mechanically, i.e the first 10% of the map or so you wont see any pay off for hitting those circles at all, and it's not every single note that will increase this 'in game pp score' so the gameplay feels disconnected from scoring, especially considering most plays arent going to be worth much pp anyway compared to the players "best" plays so it will just be demoralizing in game. And because the way PP is calculated.. and because unranked maps do exist.. etc..
1. There are plenty of ways that pp could be shown in-game while playing. I think the most reasonable way to implement this would be to have a "descending" score method; that is, you start with the max pp possible for the map, and it goes down as you make mistakes. I already proposed this for accuracy a long time ago in this forum, but it never got anywhere.

2. Unranked maps don't affect this at all.

3. Why does it matter if every note gives a pp or not? You don't pay attention to your score the whole play, I'm sure. The only time your score matters is at the end, which is why what I proposed in point "1" of this post seems reasonable.

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

That aside, if we keep the way the game works right now and have score used in game [which we will], just not for anything but measuring your individual circle clicks, you're playing the map and there's this arbitrary number on the top right called "Score" while on the left the scoreboard just has combo and PP. That kind of disconnect doesn't really promote competition but just obfuscates it. Why even show your play underneath the scoreboard in-game if it's just going to show your score/combo compared to their pp/combo, how would you even climb onto the scoreboard whilst playing since PP isnt even calculated til the end?
4. Why would the number at the top right have to continue to exist in the game? In my opinion, it just adds clutter. Even if score were to remain the scoring method, it would still be reasonable if that number were removed.

5. A method to calculate pp dynamically, mid-play can be created.

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

And on easy-normals its going to be rather silly to just see something like "38 pp" repeated 50 times on 2 different maps that might have a very different max combo like 300 vs 1000 but they were worth the same PP and everyone SS'd it so whose to say what's different about playing them? :roll:
5. I don't get what you mean by the "different max combo like 300 vs 1000", as a combo difference that drastic would clearly result in a difference in pp. I already told you that the highest score will get the higher rank in situations where pp is equal.

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

If anything, just get rid of HD HR getting a decimal advantage over DT in score multiplier, and get rid of Half Time scores showing up entirely, and scoreboards are perfect the way they are imo.
6. Even with DT being worth a little bit more, it's still imbalanced in my opinion. You don't even need close to a full combo on some maps to get really high pp on them with DT because of how the pp system recalculates map difficulty based on mods. DT doesn't affect slow maps as much as it does fast ones, so a flat bonus could never work well for a scoring system.

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

On a final note, Peppy severed the association between PP and actual rank on maps with ppv2 came out, i dont think he'd link them again.
7. He severed the association between pp and score rank in specific, because he recognized how little score matters when considering actual skill. If the leaderboards did represent actual skill, I don't think there would be any problem with connecting them to the ranking system.]
Vuelo Eluko

Kyou-kun wrote:

5. I don't get what you mean by the "different max combo like 300 vs 1000", as a combo difference that drastic would clearly result in a difference in pp. I already told you that the highest score will get the higher rank in situations where pp is equal.
well except it wouldnt unless they had the exact same star rating.
Topic Starter
Ohrami
So you're talking about different maps? I still don't get your point. Why would it matter if there were multiple different maps where several scores are worth 38 pp?
Vuelo Eluko
and what about calculating pp dynamically while playing? you're rarely ever going to be coming close to your best performances so it's just going to be demoralizing unlike Score. It just doesn't seem like it will play well and will rarely be useful while playing. Maybe for replays.

Kyou-kun wrote:

So you're talking about different maps? I still don't get your point. Why would it matter if there were multiple different maps where several scores are worth 38 pp?
diff. max combos gave diff. score which gave a better idea of the map, showing only pp says nothing about the map really.
Drezi
Well, max combo could be easily displayed in addition to map length, number of hit circles, sliders, etc. Actually it should be either way, cause I don't like having to check global rankings (or in editor) to see it.
CodeS

Ziggo wrote:

That'd be awful. I hope this will never happen.
[-Cloud-]

Drezi wrote:

I don't understand why people are against this idea. It's just a matter of disliking change I guess, being attached to legacy methods.
All those FL scores dissapearing out of the Ranking. I think a lot of tears would fall.
Personally, I love this Idea, since I think HT and FL ist just lame. Killer Song is probably the best example for this.
haha5957
If you can't accept the fact that pp is accurate, at least compared to score system, you are dumb. I can confidently say that.

Bassist Vinyl wrote:

Fudgyking wrote:

Because Score is, in effect, a "perfect" way to compare scores and more precise [maps can get up to 1.5bil score, pp doesnt really go above 500. less room for error on the scoreboard this way.] since otherwise there will be like 5 sets of the same amount of pp on the scoreboard for your average full dthd/hdhr scoreboard.

Also there's no obfuscation. People will know exactly how they got on the scoreboards because the way score is calculated is perfectly common knowledge and makes for absolute accuracy and is better for comparison purposes.

And it's always been that way.
How is having a same rank or point a problem when they performed the same?
Seems like
(score of) 10 100s on very begining of the map >>> 1 100 on the last note
makes sense for you. There is no word that I can properly describe you but I'm pretty much confident that you don't make sense at all

the scoreboard "looks" like they performed different because this score system has a huge flaw, making the first 10 100s virtually useless and the last 100 really matter much. If you think this score system is perfect for comparison, you got a problem there.

Even myself could think of how you can change this score system into pp-related, and friendly to users. I'm pretty sure Tom or peppy already has similar or better idea of "how pp can be directly converted to score". Please don't say we'll have tons of "#1 - 149pp" thinks on our scoreboard. they are going to be scaled to big number for sure when it comes to score. Although there might be lots of same score since there actually are many 100~99% accs with same mod and same number of 100-50-x in top #50 records, this is how it is supposed to be (and there is another thing called spinner)

I see literally no valid reason on why pp(or at least that reflects pp) score shouldn't be implemented in this entire post. Why? current scores? Cause it always has been? Yeah, of course the slavery and kingdom cuz it always has been for people in history? lmao.

Also the old scores can be converted pretty easily for sure if they decide to replace current retarded score system into pp related one. (only troublesome stuff I see is spinner)
Amianki

xasuma wrote:

CalignoBot wrote:

That is not the point. I think that will be implemented regardless soon-ish (I linked it in an earlier page). So you don't have to lose pp for a 'better' score anymore. But that is not what the discussion is about here. :p

Im gonna remain neutral for the rest of this thread I think :B
Where did I indicate that I was responding to anything in this thread outside the overall idea of it?
Lanturn
So something like this?

Tommy Yang
Posting on behalf of Kyou-kun:
"That's what I think would be best, but I don't think the replays save the spinner bonus, so there'd have to be some other way to show the score instead, perhaps only for plays where some other player is tied."
xasuma
If this were implemented HD mod would probably cease to be used for a lot of people. As of now hd is used in conjuction with other mods to give a score boost , however the pp gain from it is close to none (might even be none idk).
This could be argued with HR as well, although not as much as hd. Same for FL. And it would in a way monopolize DT (being the only mod that truly boosts your pp gain by a lot).

Having said that, the balance between accuracy, aim and speed would be broken. Favoring speed over the other two.

Screw staying neutral in this thread :D
show more