forum

[Rule Change] o!m keyspread in a mapset.

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
PyaKura
Sorry, double-post.

xxbidiao's wording is actually fine, I just made it a bit more fair towards keyspreads (Gezo's reaction to xxbidiao's wording).

RC wrote:

Each key amount must have at least 2 difficulties and one of them must be Easy/Normal. Furthermore, each key amount must have a similar diffspread. This means that a mapset including two key amounts must have equal difficulties for each of them.
Thoughts ?
Garven
Should mention that the difficulties should be in a consecutive order of difficulty, so no Easy -> Hard gaps in difficulty for each key set.
YunoFanatic
Probably already followed this rule. And i quiet had this on my mind when i started mapping mania,
Every keys should have balance diffs.

Also, Is it ok for Hard + MX?
Topic Starter
PyaKura

Garven wrote:

Should mention that the difficulties should be in a consecutive order of difficulty, so no Easy -> Hard gaps in difficulty for each key set.
I believe this kind of diffspread is already allowed by the general RC (several mapsets, especially those which are mainly std with mania GDs feature a NM + MX diffspread.). In any case, I had asked for a rule change about this as well a while ago : t/160106. But it didn't get much love.

@Yuno : this counts as two "expert diffs". You'd need 2 "non-expert" as well diffs to make a mapset rankable.
Topic Starter
PyaKura
Bumpity bump.

Seems like a majority of o!m users agree with this. Help me wording it better ;-;

Different key amounts within a mapset must be treated as different gamemodes regarding the number of difficulties.
Then, making a new, strong guideline :

Different key amounts should have similar difficulties. This is to keep parity between different key amounts and satisfy different key amount players.
Not sure about the guideline, but to me it does seem like a good idea to add it.
Saturnalize
You have my voice, PyaKura.
Scarhand
I wholeheartedly agree with this idea. Transferring from FFR and Stepmania got me used to a 4K play style, and although I am an extremely experienced 4k player, I still struggle with 5, 6, 7, and 8K.

I think that each key mode should be ranked individually. You cannot compare a 7K player to a 4K player and vice-versa. Each mode requires a different focus and trying to amalgamate them into one ranking system makes no sense. Currently, with the small amount of 4K ranked maps (HD/MX), getting to the top of the PP leaderboards is nigh impossible. You would have to play 7K maps in combination with 4K maps to amass a high enough PP count to get anywhere. For me at least, it just feels like there is a relative limit to how far you can get in 4K ranked.
Topic Starter
PyaKura

Scarhand wrote:

I think that each key mode should be ranked individually. You cannot compare a 7K player to a 4K player and vice-versa. Each mode requires a different focus and trying to amalgamate them into one ranking system makes no sense. Currently, with the small amount of 4K ranked maps (HD/MX), getting to the top of the PP leaderboards is nigh impossible. You would have to play 7K maps in combination with 4K maps to amass a high enough PP count to get anywhere. For me at least, it just feels like there is a relative limit to how far you can get in 4K ranked.
I completely agree with you, and this is another issue which has been (or is being adressed ?) during the past few weeks, but it seems it is unlikely to change.

The keycount parity is something we should give more attention to, starting out with fair rules mapping-wise. You can't obviously expect the community to map as much 7K or 4K as the other Ks, but this is a step towards a "balance" between different keycount players for future mapsets.
Scarhand

PyaKura wrote:

I completely agree with you, and this is another issue which has been (or is being adressed ?) during the past few weeks, but it seems it is unlikely to change.

The keycount parity is something we should give more attention to, starting out with fair rules mapping-wise. You can't obviously expect the community to map as much 7K or 4K as the other Ks, but this is a step towards a "balance" between different keycount players for future mapsets.
Some experienced stepartists from Stepmania and FFR have moved their way to osu!mania and have started to work on maps to try and get them ranked. It's not really about the time it takes for 4K to get big in osu!mania, it's about how the ranking system can be adjusted while the 4K community continues to grow. Hopefully we can get large enough to garner support from some 7K steppers willing to apply their knowledge making 4K maps.
Loctav
Seems like there were no real objections or doubts in this rule change. Moreover I support this rule and after this has stood for debate a long while already, I'd like to push this forward.

Bubbled. You get 7 days to bring up serious objections until I amend this. Even more since woc is gone, it's yet more our everyone's task to keep mania fresh and vital.
Topic Starter
PyaKura

Loctav wrote:

Seems like there were no real objections or doubts in this rule change. Moreover I support this rule and after this has stood for debate a long while already, I'd like to push this forward.

Bubbled. You get 7 days to bring up serious objections until I amend this. Even more since woc is gone, it's yet more our everyone's task to keep mania fresh and vital.
That's good to know. What about the guideline saying that different keycounts should have similar diffs ?
Topic Starter
PyaKura
So, amended ?
Loctav
Will look into this on Sunday
Loctav
Amended

New rule (slightly reworded, same content):
Different key amounts within a mapset must be treated as different gamemodes and require an respective independent difficulty spread. Therefore each key amount must have an independent difficulty spread. For example if you want to add a 7K difficulty to your set, you must design a whole 7K spread. If you want to add an additional 4k difficulty to your set, you must also design a whole 4K spread.

New guideline (slightly reworded, same content):
Different key amounts within a mapset should have a similiar difficulty spread. This is to keep parity between different key amounts and satisfy different key amount players.

Also reworded some rules to make them fit with the RC standards we have across all difficulties. Their content havn't changed, just their appearance and wording.
richardfeder
one of the most "interesting" amendment I have ever seen
Spy
How nice rule you made.
Sorarei

Loctav wrote:

Amended

Different key amounts within a mapset must be treated as different gamemodes and require an respective independent difficulty spread. Therefore each key amount must have an independent difficulty spread. For example if you want to add a 7K difficulty to your set, you must design a whole 7K spread. If you want to add an additional 4k difficulty to your set, you must also desgin a whole 4K spread.

Different key amounts within a mapset should have a similiar difficulty spread. This is to keep parity between different key amounts and satisfy different key amount players.

Also reworded some rules to make them fit with the RC standards we have across all difficulties. Their content havn't changed, just their appearance and wording.
in other word, if you have 7K Hard 7K Normal 7K Easy and want to add another keyset , then it should be 5K Hard 5K Normal 5K Easy ?

okay i'm good with this set. making balance to other specific player
Topic Starter
PyaKura

Reikosaka wrote:

Loctav wrote:

Amended

Different key amounts within a mapset must be treated as different gamemodes and require an respective independent difficulty spread. Therefore each key amount must have an independent difficulty spread. For example if you want to add a 7K difficulty to your set, you must design a whole 7K spread. If you want to add an additional 4k difficulty to your set, you must also desgin a whole 4K spread.

in other word, if you have 7K Hard 7K Normal 7K Easy and want to add another keyset , then it should be 5K Hard 5K Normal 5K Easy ?

okay i'm good with this set. making balance to other specific player
Similar difficulty spread is the guideline. Nothing prevents you to rank 7K EZ, 7K NM, 7K HD and 4K NM, 4K MX.
[Emiria]
hehe
17VA
What is this shit
DeletedUser_3349827
[soft delete]