forum

[Rule] osu!mania difficulty spread

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
PyaKura
Hello,

First time posting in this forum, so I don't really know how things work around here.

Note that I talk about mania mode but it is possible everything I say is also the case for other game modes. Also my source for RC is the wiki.

I want to talk about mania diff spread :

osu!mania RC wrote:

Diff Spread

Each beatmap must have at least 2 difficulties and one of them must be Easy/Normal.
This is indeed respected in this mapset with DJPop's Normal and Insane diffs. With this RC one can even make an Easy and an Insane diffs and get his/her mapset ranked. However, the General RC applies to all game mode I believe and as such should equally be respected as mode-specific RC.

General RC wrote:

the difficulties in the mapset must be in a consecutive order and/or with a reasonable gap between them; there should be at least one difficulty around ~2.5/3 star difficulty level; if your mapset has two difficulties, one of them cannot be insane
Star rating is irrelevant as xxbidiao noted, because of several reasons it fails to correctly rate the difficulty of many maps. As a matter of fact, my Hard I'll be talking about below is rated 5-stars by the game.

But if we do follow this rule, then mapsets like this one (I take this mapset as example because it has been ranked yesterday !) shouldn't even be ranked/rankable.

I see several possibilities :

- Specific-mode RC take priority over General RC.
- GD are exceptional cases and as such don't strictly follow the rules (I'm talking about Igorrr's 2 mania GD).
- General RC have to be respected and in this case we should straight out remove the mania RC I quoted earlier or make it more precise.
- Some Standard RC and General RC got mixed up in the General RC page of the wiki, leading to (lots) of misunderstandings (in the following case, two BATs "arguing" whether AngelHoney's map - RYO - Shuffle Heaven is rankable or not)

The link just above is a concrete example of this issue causing difficulties for the BATs.

So basically, Igorrr - Unpleasant Sonata is rankable (and has been ranked !) but RYO - Shuffle Heaven might not be rankable ?

Note that I stated in AngelHoney's map that the skillgap between DJPop's Normal and Insane is too big and that's the reason I made my own Hard diff to fill the gap between DJP's diffs :

General RC wrote:

the difficulties in the mapset must be in a consecutive order and/or with a reasonable gap between them
I can't come up with the most appropriate solution for now (need a bit more time to think this through) so I posted here to tell you guys that something is wrong with the RC right now. Perhaps just rewrite the mania RC I posted at the beginning of this post ?

PS : Sorry if you have a hard time understanding my point of view as my english is rather bad.

PS2 : I don't want to offense the creator of any of the forementionned mapsets and diffs and judge them, I'm barely highlighting an issue with the current RC leading to some misunderstandings.
xxbidiao
Actually for a mania-specific map it would be a really easy task to make it to 5 stars.
And star difficulty fails in most of the map in mania because it can't rate a map enough precise even to separate maps into different difficulty categories.
So in practice BATs tend to ignore star difficulty and instead study the map case by case.
Topic Starter
PyaKura
I know, in fact I wasn't paying attention to the star rating in the slightest. Ignore the star rating part.

Edit : there, fixed.

Edit again : Even though (and I know) BATs take a look at the difficulties case by case, it doesn't change the fact that going from a non-expert diff (meaning Easy/Normal) to Insane leaves a huge gap between the difficulties.

I suggest the following :

mania RC wrote:

- Each beatmap set must have at least 2 difficulties and one of them must be Easy/Normal.*
* You can't have an Insane difficulty in a mapset with two difficulties : you must map a Hard difficulty between the non-expert and the Insane difficulties.
This obviously needs rewording but I think it would solve the skillgap issue.
xxbidiao
Actually for AngelHoney's case (I have just looked at that map), I would say that "normal" and "insane" fits "one-difficulty" skill gap.

Or to say, that insane is better called "hard" (or to say that normal is normal+++ with an insane diff)...
Ephemeral
Standard spread rules apply to osu!mania - ENH, NHI or NH. No other minimum spread is applicable.

Denying, as this is adequately covered by the general RC.
Topic Starter
PyaKura
Normal/Insane is (was ?) a common GD spread, and shouldn't be rankable, that was the reason as to why I created this thread.
Ephemeral
The failing is with the BAT who are not adhering to the RC regarding difficulty spread, in that case.
Loctav
They were rankable since the conversions from standard have been considered as appropriate replacement for lacking Hards.
Topic Starter
PyaKura
^ Is it implied that the ACs don't count towards the diffspread now ? If this is the case I'm relieved.
Raging Bull
I dont know...Hard AC vs hard o!m is very different.
Maiz94
Hard ACs != Hard mania-specific maps