forum

Full alternaters

posted
Total Posts
show more
Weed
i used to full alternate (~19000 plays) but now I try to singletap. anything >260bpm i probably alternate just because its more comfortable
ityka
afaik HAUHAU, doctorindark and silvia all full alternate. vi britannia did too (rip)
Saint_old
that's me
watch my replay on this http://osu.ppy.sh/s/118661 i guess
Soulg

ityka wrote:

afaik HAUHAU, doctorindark and silvia all full alternate. vi britannia did too (rip)
vi brittania cheated wildly
Gigo
0OoMickeyoO0 is also a full alternator. ;)
buny
nearly everybody alternates when it's easier
i.e. nearly every 0108 style replay

there aren't many full alternators because it simply seems inferior to single tapping if you can
JAKACHAN

buny wrote:

there aren't many full alternators because it simply seems inferior to single tapping if you can
No, it is not inferior it is just typically more comfortable to single tap. Sync, Metro, and Silvia all alternated and they all had high accuracies as well.

In fact, typically learning how to alternate gives you a much easier time on maps where you have to alternate seeing as how you are used to combining alternating with cursor movement.
Myke B

JAKACHAN wrote:

buny wrote:

No, it is not inferior it is just typically more comfortable to single tap. Sync, Metro, and Silvia all alternated and they all had high accuracies as well.

In fact, typically learning how to alternate gives you a much easier time on maps where you have to alternate seeing as how you are used to combining alternating with cursor movement.
I was able to notice this when I tried alternating for a couple of weeks. can confirm.
Topic Starter
Blueprint
I usually just full alternate when the whole map is cramped with no spacing I don't like these maps.
Topic Starter
Blueprint
I discovered I am pretty op with my index after copying thelewa do something that looks silly to me,, can't alternate from it though xD

I encourage you try what he's doing with his pinky http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIN3GbwpYtA
buny

JAKACHAN wrote:

buny wrote:

isn't that a reason why it seems inferior then?

also on the 2nd statement, that really only applies to slow streams
Myke B
Yea, but the inferior-ness is negligible imo.
Mathsma

buny wrote:

JAKACHAN wrote:

Someone is going to misunderstand you again and it's going to start single tapping vs alternating debate.
Almost

buny wrote:

JAKACHAN wrote:

I think JAKACHAN was referring to the fact that more people tend to find single tapping natural compared to alternating and the fact that a large majority of top players single tap makes people think that single tapping is superior even though there really isn't any basis behind it.
Mikelicious

Mathsma wrote:

Metro
buny
comfortability is never negligible.

i understand that some players find alternating much easier than single tapping, but nearly no pro player will go out of their way doing something they don't feel comfortable doing. so the superiority/inferiority is completely subjective to each person

i'm not saying that one is better than the other with my first post btw, i simply mean that, taking in my previous statement, a lot more players will find alternating to be inferior to single tapping, purely because of their own comforts in each method
Myke B

buny wrote:

comfortability is never negligible.

i understand that some players find alternating much easier than single tapping, but nearly no pro player will go out of their way doing something they don't feel comfortable doing. so the superiority/inferiority is completely subjective to each person

i'm not saying that one is better than the other with my first post btw, i simply mean that, taking in my previous statement, a lot more players will find alternating to be inferior to single tapping, purely because of their own comforts in each method
If the superiority/inferiority is completely subjective, then why can't a little bit of comfort be negligible?
buny
because the method you choose to use in the end is the one you are most comfortable with
Myke B

buny wrote:

because the method you choose to use in the end is the one you are most comfortable with
Maybe and probably, but doesn't subjective mean that some people may sacrifice a bit of comfort for something that is better?
buny
based on or influenced by personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.
"his views are highly subjective"
synonyms: personal, individual, emotional, instinctive, intuitive More
antonyms: objective
dependent on the mind or on an individual's perception for its existence.

nope
what you are thinking of is probably objective
Myke B
I only said subjective, because that's what you said.

Buny wrote:

so the superiority/inferiority is completely subjective to each person
whether you think alternating is inferior or not is pretty subjective, don't ya think? I mean there are things like "most players single tap" to back it up, but also most players hover instead of drag, but that doesn't mean dragging is inferior.
buny
i don't think you read my posts correctly

i never said either of them was inferior or superior, it is different for each person

but alternating seems inferior to most people because single tapping is natural.

would you ever consider taking up your left hand (if you are right handed) to be your primary hand in everyday task? no because your right hand feels more natural thus more comfortable and thus makes the left hand inferior to your right
Almost

Myke B wrote:

whether you think alternating is inferior or not is pretty subjective, don't ya think? I mean there are things like "most players single tap" to back it up, but also most players hover instead of drag, but that doesn't mean dragging is inferior.
It's only subjective to the point where it's only worse if you aren't comfortable with it but then single tapping is worse for players who find alternating more comfortable. People who believe that single tapping is superior because "most players single tap" are just idiots who are just misinterpreting things.
nooblet
As a scrublet-tier playing full alternating I'd say alternating, to some extent, helps with endurance.

It also helps with consecutive triplets, since you're used to the ZXZ XZX whereas single-tappers might(?) have trouble deciding whether to ZXZ ZXZ or ZXZ XZX. On the other hand, it really screws over the double stacks (at least for me)....

From what I see there's no huge downside to alternating, accuracy might be one but bleh that just takes practice. There are maps where you're forced to alternate, so if you're comfortable alternating there's no point in going back to single tapping. If it's causing problems for you, then you probably should (though idk what kinda problems, someone could point a few out...)
Mathsma

buny wrote:

i never said either of them was inferior or superior, it is different for each person

but alternating seems inferior to most people because single tapping is natural.

would you ever consider taking up your left hand (if you are right handed) to be your primary hand in everyday task? no because your right hand feels more natural thus more comfortable and thus makes the left hand inferior to your right
I knew someone was going to misunderstand.
Almost

nooblet wrote:

From what I see there's no huge downside to alternating, accuracy might be one but bleh that just takes practice.
Alternating doesn't inhibit your ability to accuracy at all. Theoretically, you should see lower unstable rates if you were to alternate because you don't have to wait for your finger to lift of the key.
Bweh
It just sounds like singletapping is natural to most people, just like how most people are right handed and not left.

Essentially it doesn't matter since it ends up being a matter of preference.
nooblet

Almost wrote:

nooblet wrote:

From what I see there's no huge downside to alternating, accuracy might be one but bleh that just takes practice.
Alternating doesn't inhibit your ability to accuracy at all. Theoretically, you should see lower unstable rates if you were to alternate because you don't have to wait for your finger to lift of the key.
Accuracy was probably just me being my scrublet self then.

Thing about unstable rate is quite true, totally forgot about that :) . Almost always have a key down, press one key down while lifting the other. Helps a lot with sliders n'stuff where there's no time to lift.
RaneFire
Well lots of people misinterpret accuracy with finger control. Sure they are very similar, but if you can't control your fingers when alternating patterns with pauses in between, you're going to have worse accuracy. It's just not a real indication of accuracy, even though that is what happens. If you can play alternating, your accuracy shouldn't be any different.
buny

Mathsma wrote:

buny wrote:

I knew someone was going to misunderstand.
yep
RaneFire

buny wrote:

To be honest, I don't consider this analogy completely valid to the situation, even though I can relate somewhat. You make a point, but who says it actually applies to other people, like Blueprint and scrublet. It is about what's natural, but there aren't only 2 styles.

Alternating in some way has always been more natural for me to play, but I don't see it as a reason to FULL alternate EVERYTHING (I full-alternate in taiko, but only because I have two hands). I think it has a lot to do with how you read and I am pointing this out only because scrublet says he has problems alternating with what I have problems alternating.

My typical playstyle is to alternate everything joined by a 1/4 gap, no matter what, this includes 1/2 sliders which most people single-tap, unless they are separated by large angular jumps... in which case I read them differently and single-tap them.

But here's the thing for me... Single-tapping 1/2 notes and starting doubles, triples and streams on the same finger every time is much easier for me, despite playing alternating for my first 6 months, even if my top speed is lower. I am much more consistent because, with alternating, when the streams get really fast (200+ bpm), I can't determine which finger I'm ending the stream on and often end up stopping a note early, or ending correctly and assumed I stopped early, or something along those lines of finger confusion. The issue with doubles and triples is that of a wrist-action to start them, i.e. bursting. If I could put an analogy to this, it would be like starting a race, and having the announcer say "On your marks! Get set! Go!" where I have prepared myself to start the pattern. To use Layne's words... "Galloping." ... whereas with alternating, I cannot do this. The motor imagery for an alternating playstyle would be that of "rocking the boat," for example. I'm almost inclined to tilt my head to each side while playing full-alternate.

But the reason I can relate, is because of that "Dragonforce - Heroes of Our Time" map which has a bunch of repeat triple-patterns with 1/2 sliders on the end. The first time I played that map, I full-alternated those (because the silders create a 1/4 adjacent join) and I didn't know wtf happened until afterwards. But this doesn't mean I should go FULL alternate, it just means that alternating depends greatly on how I read the map and people should pursue a style that works for them, not the extremes of full-alternating or full-single-tapping (eg. 1/2 slider + 2 1/4's = Z ZX).
Mystrian_old

buny wrote:

nearly everybody alternates when it's easier
I did when I started and now I can't stop ;)
tokaku
Isn't it easier to accidentally end up spamming when alternating?
Weed

kartistenn wrote:

we call those individuals mashers
Myke B

buny wrote:

I got what you're saying (I think) so you're generalizing what people think right? That's probably true. If my left hand was superior then yea I probably would learn to use it instead, why not? But it's hard to say with saying something like that, because the only reason my right is superior is because I have used it every day since birth. I find alternating way more comfortable and less straining, but I single tap because I know it will be better for me in the long run.
nooblet

kartistenn wrote:

RaneFire wrote:

I am much more consistent because, with alternating, when the streams get really fast (200+ bpm), I can't determine which finger I'm ending the stream on and often end up stopping a note early, or ending correctly and assumed I stopped early, or something along those lines of finger confusion. The issue with doubles and triples is that of a wrist-action to start them, i.e. bursting.
Solution to spamming is just controlling your fingers so they don't hit notes before they should be by, like he said, using your wrist or "galloping". When I see a mashfest of doubles and triples I always lift my fingers and make sure I start on the correct finger.

@Rane - I'm pretty much a "full alternator" because I have a pitiful reaction time and can't decide when to use the other finger when single tapping, but I can definitely relate to what you said. I always start my notes/streams on Z when possible (I usually end up with a few more Z's than X's, rather than 50/50) so I can have an idea as to when to stop the stream, but sometimes that's not possible so it's just a spamfest and hope to stop on the right beat :)

Myke B wrote:

I find alternating way more comfortable and less straining, but I single tap because I know it will be better for me in the long run.
Wat o_o What's so bad about alternating (From a pov, not the sub/objective stuff you guys argued about) that would make you do something that's way more uncomfortable (and probably unnatural) for yourself?
Almost

nooblet wrote:

Myke B wrote:

I find alternating way more comfortable and less straining, but I single tap because I know it will be better for me in the long run.
Wat o_o What's so bad about alternating (From a pov, not the sub/objective stuff you guys argued about) that would make you do something that's way more uncomfortable (and probably unnatural) for yourself?
Most likely because single tapping builds stamina better than alternating, though this is only true if you are actually straining yourself and you are single tapping with your finger rather than with your wrist otherwise you don't really get any benefit.
Topic Starter
Blueprint
I tend to use my wrist when my arms are falling off & fail
Noobsicle
Azer full alternates i think
Myke B

Almost wrote:

Most likely because single tapping builds stamina better than alternating, though this is only true if you are actually straining yourself and you are single tapping with your finger rather than with your wrist otherwise you don't really get any benefit.
Yea, I don't don't tap with my wrist.
show more