forum

AR9.

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Starry-
Alright, this has been frustrating me to the point where I feel as if I need to make a thread about it.
AR9.

I have huge troubles even attempting to read it. Most players who practice Double Time and Hardrock quite a lot have troubles with AR9 or so I've heard, however it's already beyond the point where it's completely unplayable to me. I always get random misses, despite my efforts, on any decently harder song with AR9 - misses that I shouldn't be getting. It just feels all too slow, but my cursor simply can't reach a point. It feels as if my aim is the problem, but I do extremely well if I add HR or even DT, so I assume it's my reading that is lacking.

I've been trying to practice AR9 for quite a bit now, however it seems as if no progress is made - I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.
So is there any advice out there anyone could give to better my reading of AR9? :s
Lapis-
Practice
vidya

PortalLife wrote:

Practice
Jordan
Am I the only one not having problems with low ARs even if i'm able to play really high AR?

You should try practicing 2008-2009 maps.
nrl
So... you can't read AR9 because it's too slow?
winber1

Jordan wrote:

Am I the only one not having problems with low ARs even if i'm able to play really high AR?

You should try practicing 2008-2009 maps.
no

may i join ur club, i believe i qualify.

anyways, the thing about low AR is that snapping is more difficult. A possibility could be to just practice snapping to notes instead of relying on curvey movements and high AR. Otherwise just suck it up and practice AR 9
uzzi
You just gotta the whole thing.

On a more serious note though,

PortalLife wrote:

Practice
Aqo
put on EZ and don't take it off for 3 months

it works
winber1
Also, I seem to have a similar problem with AR 10.33 and AR 10, because some reason i seem to read AR 10.33 better. But it's not really bothering me. I just play whatever I want anyways.
GoldenWolf
Play EZ for a month or so, then even AR7 should feel fast

Also; practice.

EDIT:

Aqo wrote:

put on EZ and don't take it off for 3 months

it works
ninja'd
Winshley
Fuck AR. Memorizing the rhythm is the best. Kill me now.

On serious note, you can try playing low AR maps.
TicClick
@OP: having no progress means you are not trying hard enough. If your main goal is to read approach circles, then focus on every single note instead of staring at the center of the playfield/pattern you are about to pass.
Topic Starter
Starry-

TicClick wrote:

If your main goal is to read approach circles, then focus on every single note instead of staring at the center of the playfield/pattern you are about to pass.
This is precisely what I've been trying to do.

Winshley wrote:

On serious note, you can try playing low AR maps.
I'm still on the search for maps AR>8~ that are actually playable. Don't really know many good ones :s

winber1 wrote:

A possibility could be to just practice snapping to notes instead of relying on curvey movements and high AR.
Hmm, seems as if it could work, although, how can I practice snapping? :s
winber1
by not being a lazy ass like me and go extremely quickly directly to the note, then stop and click and repeat. also play maps with a lot of hitcircles, maps with squares, stars, hexagon shapes made out of hitcircles might help as well. don't ask me where to get those maps, i have no fuking clue.

aqo probably has "boring" but helpful maps in his inventory.
Tanzklaue
if you have serious problems reading AR 9 because it is too slow, then you should rethink your approach to this game entirely.

I am serious. this is a rhythm game, not a "react and smash"-game. if you want that, then play asian whack-a-mole. in the end, it comes down to playing maps with AR 9 and lower. there are tons of good maps with AR 8 in the timerange of 2009-2010, and basically any generic insane nowadays features AR 9. so you shouldn't have a problem finding maps that are good.

play to the rhythm, learn to read approachcircles, don't just randomly mash your way through the map, and use hitsounds. that's all anyone can say to help you.
Topic Starter
Starry-

Tanzklaue wrote:

if you have serious problems reading AR 9 because it is too slow, then you should rethink your approach to this game entirely.

I am serious. this is a rhythm game, not a "react and smash"-game. if you want that, then play asian whack-a-mole. in the end, it comes down to playing maps with AR 9 and lower. there are tons of good maps with AR 8 in the timerange of 2009-2010, and basically any generic insane nowadays features AR 9. so you shouldn't have a problem finding maps that are good.

play to the rhythm, learn to read approachcircles, don't just randomly mash your way through the map, and use hitsounds. that's all anyone can say to help you.
Well not exactly because it's too slow. On these AR9 maps I get (sorry to sound arrogant here) really good accuracy. It's the random misses that actually just throw me off. I believe I do play to the rhythm and listen to hitsounds carefully. It's more just the aim and reading.

I do need to start playing a larger variety of maps then it seems. Haven't tried much AR8, now that I think about it, so I'll look into it.
Purple
Practice easy mode. Start by playing low BPMs (like 120) and then increase it as you get better. Add hidden if you need to make it harder.

Also, I find it helpful leaving the visual settings to their default.
pooptartsonas
Yeah I have the same problem. It's not that I can't play to rhythm, I play fine to the rhythm. The problem is that my brain doesn't process patterns properly when too many of the notes are on the screen at the same time. I can't even play patterns on AR10 with followpoints on because the followpoints appear before the notes, somewhat negating the effect of AR10.

What I really want to know is HOW to practice, because the more I retry a map with patterns, the worse I play it. Also it's not like I can't play AR9 because I play too much AR10, I've always been bad at reading patterns since before I could read AR10 and I don't exclusively play AR10 either.
uzzi
On another note, I find playing with hidden on AR9 and up really helps, since the approach circles are spooky.
kriers
I am of the generation of players who remember AR9 being fast. Like, REALLY fast. So fast it'd give me an adrenaline rush.
GoldenWolf
I remember when I started osu!, AR6 was fast for me, AR7 was really fast, like AR10 is fast for me now
Now I can't read ar8 because it's too slow, and still can't read ar10 because it's too fast. I can only read ar9/9.67 (ar8+DT)
;_;
-GN
Focusing on the approach circles as they appear seems to work well for any AR for me, even when playing EZ as well as DT/HR. It sure doesn't help my aim though... even if I can do without most of my skill when playing EZ/+HD.
Thatgooey
Disregard AR9, acquire Easyrock mod, play with Easyrock mod. Laugh as you play only AR10 for the rest of forever and appear to be a superior player.

And then go cry in the corner because you can't read for shit anymore and anything AR9 or lower is frustratingly unplayable T.T

I honestly don't play it because I just don't enjoy it. Guess everyone has their own preferences, and I just prefer not to try and play lower than AR9 and avoid it if I don't feel like playing it. Not saying that I'm not able to, I just only like playing AR10 anymore. I find no enjoyment with lower AR's.
pielak213
­
Oinari-sama
Why not pretend that you're learning osu from scratch and check out the James Training?
Tshemmp

Purple wrote:

Also, I find it helpful leaving the visual settings to their default.
I agree. It makes the objects harder to see which is kind of equal to higher AR.
primrose
Play AR9 maps
Aqo

Tshemmp wrote:

BGs can make the objects harder to see
https://osu.ppy.sh/s/77544

AR12
RaneFire
*chuckles*

Too many people have this problem because they skip the most important step: reading patterns.
AR10 and compressed DT's whittle this skill down to the point it is not even needed, you follow whatever just appeared on screen and don't have to, or have the time to... think twice.

Play EZ mod for a while, but it's not going to save you completely because it drops the AR far below AR7. You still need to learn AR 7,8,9.
You're just gonna have to play these approach rates... i.e. forgo using HR for a bit.

People who can play all AR's have played all AR's. If you can play low AR's before learning AR10, and have only played AR10 since, you don't lose the ability, you just don't.
People who claim they lost the ability, never actually had it.

*Basic rant which I tell speed players they are digging a very deep grave, the longer you dig this one the further you have to climb back out BECAUSE YOU GET BORED FAST. Going back to the basics is the most boring task ever.

If you wanna read AR9, play AR9. If you wanna read AR8, play AR8. There's no global skill for reading AR except following the music, which isn't reading, it's listening.
Da Holy One
i am confused, how did people skip ar 9 and go straight to 10 it seem like going from normal to insane... just you cant

also if ar 10 is faster how can someone not read a slower map that just doesnt even make sense

more related to the topic:
about a week ago i downloaded an ar 9 practice map and I could do it with 40% on halftime, I can now get 40% without the halftime mod my issue isnt reading the maps, thats actually really easy for me to do; I just need to force my cursor to go to the right spots
benguin

RaneFire wrote:

*chuckles*

Too many people have this problem because they skip the most important step: reading patterns.
AR10 and compressed DT's whittle this skill down to the point it is not even needed, you follow whatever just appeared on screen and don't have to, or have the time to... think twice.

Play EZ mod for a while, but it's not going to save you completely because it drops the AR far below AR7. You still need to learn AR 7,8,9.
You're just gonna have to play these approach rates... i.e. forgo using HR for a bit.

People who can play all AR's have played all AR's. If you can play low AR's before learning AR10, and have only played AR10 since, you don't lose the ability, you just don't.
People who claim they lost the ability, never actually had it.

*Basic rant which I tell speed players they are digging a very deep grave, the longer you dig this one the further you have to climb back out BECAUSE YOU GET BORED FAST. Going back to the basics is the most boring task ever.

If you wanna read AR9, play AR9. If you wanna read AR8, play AR8. There's no global skill for reading AR except following the music, which isn't reading, it's listening.
The funny thing is that the game rewards players who start to develop these type of bad habits through the HR mod. I know some people who struggle with AR9 myself and I find it laughable that they actually NEED HR in order to full combo or do well on a map. Sure, HR makes the circle size and timing window a bit smaller but to for many people it's worth it to make those small sacrifices in order to get the HUGE benefits they gain of the increased AR that makes them comfortable.

This is also the same reason why I HATE the HR rock because it rewards players who couldn't have played the map without it. To rid the whole whack-a-mole mentality of playing osu that more and more people are getting sucked into, either AR needs to be user-definable or lower-AR's need to be rewarded just as equally as higher-AR's.
enik

Da Holy One wrote:

i am confused, how did people skip ar 9 and go straight to 10 it seem like going from normal to insane... just you cant

also if ar 10 is faster how can someone not read a slower map that just doesnt even make sense
It totally makes sense because lower AR -> more circles on the screen -> harder to read. When people learn the game from low ARs, they usually play low BPM maps which don't require much reading, also they play it BAD (not for newbie, but common standards) and progress fast to higher ARs without enough foundation. So every progressing player must go back every now and then to strengthen weak sides.
RaneFire

enik wrote:

Da Holy One wrote:

It totally makes sense because lower AR -> more circles on the screen -> harder to read. When people learn the game from low ARs, they usually play low BPM maps which don't require much reading, also they play it BAD (not for newbie, but common standards) and progress fast to higher ARs without enough foundation. So every progressing player must go back every now and then to strengthen weak sides.
Imo when you're learning the game it doesn't really count, everything about your gameplay was changing constantly, it slows down drastically once you reach a certain "point" where you have essentially learned how to play the game - then it just becomes about refining such skills and your speed and consistency are supposed to build up from there

The issue is that some people skipped the refining process. They just kept trying to learn the hardest stuff, essentially never stopping learning. No major attention to accuracy, fingering and following patterns with your cursor precisely (including snapping) were ever done. It was just a race.
Paying attention to each of those aspects at different AR's is what reading AR actually is.

They stopped at AR10 to start refining their skills, and never did any refining at other AR's, this is the dilemma.
show more