forum

Solution: Running osu! In Ubuntu or Xubuntu

posted
Total Posts
show more
mmstick
I wish we could just get actual support for Linux instead of having to worry about workarounds and fatal performance issues. It's just not worth the hassle of installing Osu! on Linux without an official Linux binary. It's sad that everyone still needs a partition of shame (Microsoft Windows) to infect their partition tables for any sort of gaming.
ErunamoJAZZ

AutumnalRiver wrote:

I really have no idea whether osu is running on the Intel card or the AMD card. I don't know how to check this so I really can't tell. My graphics driver is AMD Radeon 6600M and 6700M Series. I checked and didn't find any drivers for the Intel card anywhere here. So I think normally apps should run on the AMD card.
LOL, really looks ugly :P

Indeed you are using the Radeon graphics, what you could do is use the Intel graphics. I use only Intel (laptop), and only nVidia (Desktop), so I'm not sure how you would do, but research found this: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1930450

For now, that's the best you can do. Too bad there is not even native linux port, but in the future "not too far" will be done. coffcoff!

:roll:
Irelito
So after a bunch of mind-duckery I have finally managed to launch osu! in wine, but the problem I get is the game is incredibly laggy. It seems to happen whenever there is a new element to be rendered, so switching between songs, menus and other things are incredibly slow. FPS when everything is up is fine though.

And yes, the game is not playable due to this at all, I've ran many other games in the past and I know stuff like WoW has been working, so it's definitely not related to performance.

Any thoughts?
ErunamoJAZZ

Irelia Lito wrote:

So after a bunch of mind-duckery I have finally managed to launch osu! in wine, but the problem I get is the game is incredibly laggy. It seems to happen whenever there is a new element to be rendered, so switching between songs, menus and other things are incredibly slow. FPS when everything is up is fine though.

And yes, the game is not playable due to this at all, I've ran many other games in the past and I know stuff like WoW has been working, so it's definitely not related to performance.

Any thoughts?
That's because for some months (for some unknown reason) osu in wine is not able to run with OpenGL. Only DirectX renderer.
Games such as WoW, OpenGL may be used, so there is no wrapper with DirectX graphics, so work as in winbug.

Pls, try the BloodCat package (for debianLike distro): http://blog.bloodcat.com/207
Install 1.0.5 version, and then install 1.0.6.
Espionage724
Got osu! running again for the most part on Ubuntu 13.04 (yesterday's daily build).

1. First, you'll need a 32-bit Wine prefix
    WINEARCH=win32 winecfg
  2. At the bare minimum, you need dotnet20 to even start the installer or game, but gdiplus also helps fonts look nicer (but not required; may want to skip gdiplus for now if your internet connection is slow)
    winetricks dotnet20 gdiplus
    (it does not appear you can use Mono as a replacement to dotnet20)
  3. Next, you want to download and start osu!'s installer
    wget 'http://osu.r-a-d.io/osu!install.exe'
    wine osu!installer.exe
  4. On the installer, you want to press Next, Next, and then you want to stop (the installer should throw an error or something, don't click Don't Send)
  5. Go to your Wine's Program Files folder
    /home/USERNAME/.wine/dosdevices/c:/Program Files
    (replace USERNAME with your username)
  6. Take the osu! folder and drag it to your Desktop or somewhere safe
  7. Now go back to osu!'s installer and hit Don't Send, Close, and then Finish
  8. Now put the osu! folder you put somewhere safe, back in Wine's Program Files folder
  9. Go into the osu! folder (either GUI or Terminal) and run osume.exe
    wine osume.exe
  10. Quickly uncheck the Automatically start osu! after updating box (you might not have to do this anymore; might be unchecked by default)
  11. Wait for it to get done, then hit the start osu! button
  12. From here, I've had very inconsistent results. Sometimes osu! would just crash on first startup, other times it would start fine the first time. If it doesn't start successfully the first time, go back and try it again.
  13. osu! should now be opened, in a borderless fullscreen mode. You should be prompted to login, but the login box is behind osu!. If this happens, you want to just press esc to skip the login.
  14. Now go into Options, and set a Windowed resolution. Your screen may then just lock up, but osu! should still be active. You want to press Esc, Esc, 1 in that order (back out of Options to Main Menu, then Exit Game confirm).
  15. Re-open osu!, it should be windowed, and you should be able to login just fine now.
  16. From here, osu! is pretty playable for me in this state, aside from two problems (and a third that rarely happens). The problems are:

1. Combo Fire renders weird (wrong colors, faded, etc.)
    2. Usernames on the in-game scoreboard (while you're actually playing a song) show as corrupted, along with the song title when it first appears
    3. Combo popouts (pipi) appear garbled (this is the rare one)
  17. I've been messing with osu! for a few hours, and have no idea how to consistently fix all three issues, but I managed to randomly fix the last two issues (not combo fire). It involves basically re-doing osu's settings until it "just" works (deleting your user cfg, re-opening osu!, and doing the resolution stuff). Hoping it just doesn't break again later though.

OpenGL mode still doesn't appear to work either.

I also have a Radeon HD 7850 GPU and I'm using AMD's 13.3 Beta 3 drivers.
Some random additional notes:
- The messed up scoreboard seems to have to do with the score filter thing (Global, Global with Mods, Friends, Local). Local seems to work the best.
- Xubuntu (13.04) 4/7/13 daily had slightly worse results with osu!. Screen would have some random glitch every minute or so, and there was some slight hitching (disabling Fast TLS might of fixed the hitching though)
- CTB person is an entire corrupted block; I'm thinking some skin elements just might have issues loading? (related to the corrupted combo popout thing)
iceandele
After installing osu-1.0.6_all.deb on Linux Mint 14 and running it i get the following:
/usr/games/osu: line 55: [: missing `]'
/usr/games/osu: line 55: -e: command not found
Installing osu!

Creating wineprefix...
Do NOT install Mono (press cancel)!
Installing .NET 2.0 and gdi...
Executing w_do_call dotnet20
Executing load_dotnet20
Executing w_do_call remove_mono
Executing load_remove_mono
------------------------------------------------------
Mono does not appear to be installed.
Executing w_do_call fontfix
Executing load_fontfix
Setting Windows version to win2k
Executing winetricks_early_wine regedit C:\windows\Temp\_dotnet20\set-winver.reg
Current wine does not have wine bug 10467, so not applying workaround
Created new window in existing browser session.
Please download dotnetfx.exe from http://download.cnet.com/Microsoft-NET-Framework-Redistributable-Package-x86/3000-10250_4-10726028.html, place it in /home/iceandele/.cache/winetricks/dotnet20, then re-run this script.
I see that it says Mono is not installed, but i checked the software manager, and mono is installed.
A popup window appeared for Microsoft .Net Frame Work, but i get " this product is not supported on the 64 bit operating system, help?
Espionage724

iceandele wrote:

...A popup window appeared for Microsoft .Net Frame Work, but i get " this product is not supported on the 64 bit operating system, help?
Sounds like the Wine prefix was created for x64, instead of x86 (32-bit). I have no idea how the deb handles it, but you'll want to use WINEARCH=win32
Espionage724
So does anyone happen to have any issue with in-game (actually playing a beatmap) fonts for the song title and scoreboard? corefonts nor fixfonts via winetricks helps, and I'm lost as to what would cause it even. Happens on both 1.4.1 and 1.5.27 (latest) Wine also.

I also became a Super maintainer on the Wine AppDB page for osu! and fixed it up a bit (added links, changed description, added install notes, and recent Wine/Ubuntu testing). Instead of individual version numbers, I just made a version for both Public and Test builds of osu! (should cut down on "clutter" a good bit).

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... n&iId=9581

Edit: According to a friend with Intel and NVIDIA hardware, his scoreboard looks fine, along with Combo Fire. If that's true, then it looks like it might be a fglrx (AMD/ATI) specific issue :/ Need more feedback though.
mmstick
You mustn't forget that a lot of issues with fglrx is because AMD codes the drivers properly to spec, and buggy code doesn't play well with spec. NVIDIA drivers are programmed buggy to compensate for buggy code.

Overall, this is still a pretty worthless attempt. It's better to just sit and wait until official Linux binaries are created.
zral
how about an official linux port with steam migration? :3 would be nice
mmstick
The problem with that is peppy sees no value in porting to Linux and insists that Wine is the solution even though Wine will never be the solution. He should really ditch the whole .NET thing as well and replace it with the universally loved Qt framework which is a lot easier to code and is portable to every OS.
Espionage724

mmstick wrote:

The problem with that is peppy sees no value in porting to Linux and insists that Wine is the solution even though Wine will never be the solution. He should really ditch the whole .NET thing as well and replace it with the universally loved Qt framework which is a lot easier to code and is portable to every OS.
While that may be the best choice, I don't believe it's just as simple as "ditching .NET".

If anything, should use Mono, but once again it's not a simple .NET-to-Mono thing.
mmstick
It's not as hard as you think. This isn't a very complex program anyway. I'm assuming most of the .NET code is the GUI updater which wouldn't take long to make a C++/Qt GUI replacement. I can't think of any sane person on Linux that would want Mono on their system.

Other than that, Osu! is already capable of OpenGL, so there is practically little need to add code, just delete the DirectX stuff. All it needs is to just be refurbished a bit to run cleanly in a Linux environment, and if it is using any Windows-specific libraries, replace them with open source Linux libraries (which I doubt is necessary).

Not only do users on Linux need Osu!, but Linux needs Osu!
MillhioreF

mmstick wrote:

Completely wrong - peppy would love to port to Linux and Mac. The problem is that it's so ingrained in XNA and .NET that it's a herculean task to port it over, and it'll probably take a couple of years if not more to make native ports a reality. Wine is the solution for the foreseeable future because of this.
m42a

MillhioreF wrote:

Completely wrong - peppy would love to port to Linux and Mac. The problem is that it's so ingrained in XNA and .NET that it's a herculean task to port it over, and it'll probably take a couple of years if not more to make native ports a reality. Wine is the solution for the foreseeable future because of this.
Completely wrong - .NET code will run using Mono, and MonoGame implements the XNA framework. Both of those work on Linux.
mmstick

MillhioreF wrote:

mmstick wrote:

That is most definitely wrong on every possible level, especially to say a port 'takes a couple of years'. XNA is hardly a problem, just ditch the XNA code and rewrite it with open standards for all platforms. That's the biggest improvement that could possibly be made for Osu! from here on out. Once again, it's not that hard at all. There used to be a single man who would solo port entire commercial games to Linux by himself, and he didn't need 'a couple of years' to do it.
MillhioreF

peppy wrote:

The eventual mono-compatible version will happen, at some point.

Ephemeral wrote:

after having seen the source code for osu!, I can safely say that attempting to port osu! at all would be a herculean task
p/2055253
I'm sure peppy could port it all over in just a few months (less?) if he dropped everything and worked on nothing but porting it. Keep in mind that he's regularly updating and maintaining the game though, and since wine works so well it's not huge on his to-do list.
mmstick

MillhioreF wrote:

peppy wrote:

The eventual mono-compatible version will happen, at some point.

Ephemeral wrote:

after having seen the source code for osu!, I can safely say that attempting to port osu! at all would be a herculean task
p/2055253
I'm sure peppy could port it all over in just a few months (less?) if he dropped everything and worked on nothing but porting it. Keep in mind that he's regularly updating and maintaining the game though, and since wine works so well it's not huge on his to-do list.
What? Wine doesn't work so well at all, it's completely broken. I guess a ton of people getting black screens, openGL doesn't work, there's a crap ton of input lag, low framerates even with high end machines like my 4Ghz FX-8120 and Radeon HD 7950, seizure inducing flicker garbage, and corrupted textures is your definition of 'works well'.
Allyoutoo
Not mentioning the problems with multiplayer, like pressing "Donwload map" causes osu to freeze on top and force you to kill it before you can see the browser opened on the background. Its near impossible to try play anything even slightly fast since if you move mouse enough fast you get lag in movement making the cursor jump, playing with any effects (even the background video sometimes) can cause major frame drops depending on map even freeze the game for a while.. It looks like its playable and works well on some slow Easy maps with no video or heavy storyboard, but it really isn't working well enough for anything else.

Osu on wine can't be in anyway considered as the official Linux support and it never should.
computerex
There are so many threads about linux, because people want to play Osu! in it! It was never difficult to get the game running in linux, it is difficult to get it to run well. I had it running okay and now I am getting an unhandled exception in .NET. I really wish Osu was available in my primary OS. I hate having to boot in Windows just so that I can play Osu, especially when my other games such as League of Legends/Portal 2/Skyrim run fine with Wine..

I get that Osu is free software. But I'd definitely pay for the game if it means that it will be available in linux.

Edit:

The unhandled exception was due to me having dual monitors. Apparently launching the game on anything but the primary monitor causes it to crash (with Wine).
mmstick

computerex wrote:

There are so many threads about linux, because people want to play Osu! in it! It was never difficult to get the game running in linux, it is difficult to get it to run well. I had it running okay and now I am getting an unhandled exception in .NET. I really wish Osu was available in my primary OS. I hate having to boot in Windows just so that I can play Osu, especially when my other games such as League of Legends/Portal 2/Skyrim run fine with Wine..

I get that Osu is free software. But I'd definitely pay for the game if it means that it will be available in linux.

Edit:

The unhandled exception was due to me having dual monitors. Apparently launching the game on anything but the primary monitor causes it to crash (with Wine).
It's also a good idea to make your wine prefix use ALSA.

winetricks sound=alsa

Also to run wine games with pasuspender

pasuspender wine <game>

I personally made a script in /usr/bin named osu that does this + kills composition. It runs okayish but sometimes there's reliably random input lag and choppiness in some beatmaps.
Allyoutoo
I can confirm that the game runs smoother and with lot less flickering on Crossover on ubuntu 13.04, but has still lower fps then windows and some graphics are distorted.
ZedCraftOnline
I have Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail 64-bit and everything was working perfectly until it said: This product is not supported by 64-bit, the installer will now exit" what should i do?!
Espionage724

ZedCraftOnline wrote:

I have Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail 64-bit and everything was working perfectly until it said: This product is not supported by 64-bit, the installer will now exit" what should i do?!
You have to use a 32-bit Wine prefix

Try checking out: p/2227460
SpaghettiMaster
The .net installer crashes when I start installing.
Any help?
Espionage724

xSpacex wrote:

Any help?
Are you installing to a clean 32-bit Wine prefix and using a modern version of Wine (at least 1.4)
SpaghettiMaster

Espionage724 wrote:

xSpacex wrote:

Any help?
Are you installing to a clean 32-bit Wine prefix and using a modern version of Wine (at least 1.4)
Not sure about the 32-bit wine prefix, but I do have updated wine.
Espionage724

xSpacex wrote:

Hmm; if you get complaints about the architecture not being compatible or anything along those lines, you're likely not using a 32-bit prefix. If you're using a x86_64 Linux distro, and Wine 1.5, it defaults to a 64-bit prefix.

One pretty easy way to actually check though; look in your .wine (or wherever the prefix is) folder and check for a Program Files (x86) folder. If it exists, it's a 64-bit prefix, and won't work.
SpaghettiMaster

Espionage724 wrote:

xSpacex wrote:

Hmm; if you get complaints about the architecture not being compatible or anything along those lines, you're likely not using a 32-bit prefix. If you're using a x86_64 Linux distro, and Wine 1.5, it defaults to a 64-bit prefix.

One pretty easy way to actually check though; look in your .wine (or wherever the prefix is) folder and check for a Program Files (x86) folder. If it exists, it's a 64-bit prefix, and won't work.
It's a 32-bit wine prefix.
This is the response I get when I run it.
Espionage724
Hmm, not entirely sure what's up. Do you have any other applications installed to the prefix? Could always just start fresh, either in the default .wine prefix or a new one just for osu!.

You just need the 32-bit prefix, and from there, you can install dotnet20 (you don't absolutely need gdiplus, and it seems the download size for it increased significantly).

I can't think of any reason in particular why it would fail on a clean prefix, but I can see how it would fail if there's other things installed in the prefix; especially if something else messed with .NET at all, or if Mono was messed with in Wine.
SpaghettiMaster

Espionage724 wrote:

Hmm, not entirely sure what's up. Do you have any other applications installed to the prefix? Could always just start fresh, either in the default .wine prefix or a new one just for osu!.

You just need the 32-bit prefix, and from there, you can install dotnet20 (you don't absolutely need gdiplus, and it seems the download size for it increased significantly).

I can't think of any reason in particular why it would fail on a clean prefix, but I can see how it would fail if there's other things installed in the prefix; especially if something else messed with .NET at all, or if Mono was messed with in Wine.
How do I start fresh?
Sorry about all this, I don't use ubuntu too much.
Espionage724

xSpacex wrote:

How do I start fresh?
Sorry about all this, I don't use ubuntu to much.
Essentially, just delete the .wine folder from your home folder, either via GUI (Ctrl + H on Ubuntu) or command (rm -rf .wine from /home/username directory).

From there, just re-create the prefix in 32-bit mode from Terminal (can use WINEARCH=win32 winecfg command and then close the cfg window), install dotnet20 from winetricks, and then proceed to the fun of installing osu! (start the installer, copy the folder somewhere, close installer, put folder back, run osume, win)

I have a guide here for it: p/2227460

It'll become second nature after doing it a lot 8-)
SpaghettiMaster

Espionage724 wrote:

xSpacex wrote:

How do I start fresh?
Sorry about all this, I don't use ubuntu to much.
Essentially, just delete the .wine folder from your home folder, either via GUI (Ctrl + H on Ubuntu) or command (rm -rf .wine from /home/username directory).

From there, just re-create the prefix in 32-bit mode from Terminal (can use WINEARCH=win32 winecfg command and then close the cfg window), install dotnet20 from winetricks, and then proceed to the fun of installing osu! (start the installer, copy the folder somewhere, close installer, put folder back, run osume, win)

I have a guide here for it: http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/p/2227460

It'll become second nature after doing it a lot 8-)
The same error occurred.
Why must everything I do always go wrong? ;_;
Edit: Nevermind it worked for some reason.
Thank you so much!
Espionage724

xSpacex wrote:

The same error occurred.
Why most everything I always do go wrong? ;_;
Hmm, that is pretty troubling :/

What version of Ubuntu are you running? And how did you install Wine?
SpaghettiMaster

Espionage724 wrote:

xSpacex wrote:

The same error occurred.
Why most everything I always do go wrong? ;_;
Hmm, that is pretty troubling :/

What version of Ubuntu are you running? And how did you install Wine?
Never mind, I found out I was using the wrong command to install .net.
It is working now, thanks!
MarioErmando
osu! lags like hell on my Ubuntu 13.04. Any solutions? :(
petterroea
Well, this would work well for me if it wasnt for that THE LINUX DRIVERS DONT WORK WELL WITH MY TITAN.
(Firstworldproblems to the max).

But this sullotion is great, and i am glad it exists, will use it when my cards works on linux :P
Espionage724

MarioErmando wrote:

What graphics card do you have and what drivers are you using? I for example have a Radeon HD 7850 and use fglrx (13.8 Catalyst Beta)
TKowl13

MarioErmando wrote:

These winetricks settings worked for me on Ubuntu 13.04, and don't forget to enable Virtual Desktop on winecfg (Very important).
winetricks gdiplus ddr=opengl fontsmooth=rgb glsl=disabled multisampling=disabled
rtlm=disabled strictdrawordering=disabled orm=fbo
Espionage724
Hmm, so https://osu.ppy.sh/p/download mentions you now need .NET Framework 3.5. Doing winetricks dotnet35 however installs 2.0, 2.0SP1, 3.0, and 3.0SP1 .NET Frameworks. And even after doing this, the installer still complains of the need of .NET 3.5. In other words, the new installer doesn't work at all it seems (using wine1.6 from Ubuntu's repositories).

My recommendations are to either use the old installer (perhaps someone could mirror it?), or just grab osume.exe and run that to grab the files. If you use osume, grab it from here, make the osu! folder in Program Files, run osume, let it update, then proceed as normal (my full instructions a page or two back still work; still required to use 32-bit wine prefix)

Both osume.exe and osu!.exe run just fine with just dotnet20 still, so I wonder about the 3.5 reliance. Can still use gdiplus if you want the fonts to look nicer, but note you need to download about 1GB or so now when using winetricks (wtf?).

Same old Combo Fire and scoreboard name glitch still exists it seems on my hardware (Lubuntu 13.04 + fglrx (13.8 beta)).
show more