forum

Toggles within skin.ini to restore old circle animation [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +446
show more
Topic Starter
ryza
Even changing SliderStyle back to 1 in skin.ini still has noticable differences

(these are both the exact same slider)

about skin elements not working, that was my bad, I had a few things not consistent in my skin and it messed the interface up a bit

however I don't understand why you can't let players force old behaviors, I think it is rather pushy to suddenly force these changes on players
azenet
The hit burst is definitely different. It's more persistant and less dynamic that before. Misses are really disturbing for playing.
+Support
Almost

peppy wrote:

Silynn wrote:

falling "X's" on miss -- makes me feel like I failed the map (seriously it feels like sudden death is on whenever I miss a note)
not changing this one, sorry.
Would it be possible for an option to toggle this?
RBRat3
Any change takes time to get accustomed to this also applies to custom skins as it does changing the default.

falling "X's" on miss -- makes me feel like I failed the map (seriously it feels like sudden death is on whenever I miss a note)
-You should feel like you failed.. You missed! This is the equivalent of telling your teach not to write F grades in red pen because the color feels violent and bad. Well the grade was bad...

a lot of skin elements are now outdated due to the update, ruining the hard work of all skinners up to now
-Only users hard skinwork that went to waste was the special screen where 90% of the time was a pulled wallpaper and cropped artwork that wasn't their own.
Topic Starter
ryza

RBRat3 wrote:

-You should feel like you failed.. You missed! This is the equivalent of telling your teach not to write F grades in red pen because the color feels violent and bad. Well the grade was bad...
The old way was fine, the new animation is just distracting

RBRat3 wrote:

-Only users hard skinwork that went to waste was the special screen where 90% of the time was a pulled wallpaper and cropped artwork that wasn't their own.
As I said, this was a mistake I made and after changing a couple of things it's fine
theowest
I feel like the new slider ticks don't come up in time for faster sliders. or is it just me?
edit: I am wrong p/2185759
NAGISACHAn_old
My skin feels completely diffrent from last time i played : [
+support
Compa
The new skin feels perfectly fine.
So I'd say no.
theowest
You'll get used to it, I played the new default skin a lot on the test build before this update so I have no problems with it now.
pixeldesu
I have to say, that the hits really feel like I don't get any "feedback", like this popping up...but I played a lot on the testbuild, like theowest (in the post above this) and I'm getting used to it.
Kodora
oh, support this with all my love
Anceri
SUPPORT...
I have been failing insane songs that i could play previously
I just don't like this new forced update..
Kite
I dislike the appearance of slider ticks since the new update, oh and also the ingame user list when pressing F9.. why is it so bright all of a sudden?
Ohrami
Definitely support all of this. I can't believe this was actually put in the game, especially how the hit circles don't expand when tapped.

Sadly, I have no stars :(
MMzz
Give it time to get used to it, don't play it for a few hours then give up. Embrace change, don't just deny it because it is a little different. I for one feel no difference while playing, the only thing that was truly noticeable was the hit-burst doesn't expand and fade as slow, but I got used to that after playing for a bit. Nice skin peppy, I enjoy the new look.

This is just like when the new slider algorithm was forced, no one liked it at first but now no one cares.
Ohrami
But I don't want to get used to something that's objectively worse

It should just be changed back

Plus, you aren't even an osu!standard player, so it's probably easy for you to transition
MMzz

Kyou-kun wrote:

But I don't want to get used to something that's objectively worse
Opinions.

I am top 1k rank on osu! btw, with a nice amount of playcount. (And I don't farm hards.)
Ohrami
It's not an opinion. It is objectively harder to read sliders or to keep place after missing now.
Love
About the old skin behavoir, the reason the new skin is being used is probably because you are missing elements from your custom skin. The falling misses never happened until I removed the miss.

Kyou-kun wrote:

It's not an opinion. It is objectively harder to read sliders or to keep place after missing now.
Record and show us. This is just something to get used to.
Ohrami
No, I'm not missing any elements from my custom skin. My misses aren't the default and they still fall.
Love
It is meant to fall, get used to it. I had no problems playing insanes with ar8-9.
Ohrami
The difference is that "playing" to you doesn't mean "doing good", unlike with me
Love

Kyou-kun wrote:

The difference is that "playing" to you doesn't mean "doing good", unlike with me
Sorry, but the ignorance in this post is just overwhelming. Just because you can't get used to change doesn't mean it should go back because a few people don't like it. Peppy has stated that it's not being changed back.
Topic Starter
ryza
Just because peppy says so doesn't mean we can't state our feelings and try to get him to change his mind.
Sakura
About reading slider speed changes, you shouldn't be required to use visual hints to read them anyways, you should be listening to the song.

I dont find much issue with the new skin other than the fact that the repeats' treshold before turning black is way too small atm and the new spinner sometimes makes me miss notes in the middle of it (tho i've always had trouble with notes on the center of spinners rather than to one of the sides)

About falling misses.... are they even that noticeable? i barely see them and i was trying on purpose to miss, yet i didn't see a thing until i focused really hard.
Ohrami

Sakura wrote:

About reading slider speed changes, you shouldn't be required to use visual hints to read them anyways, you should be listening to the song.
"You shouldn't be playing the game the way every good player has done it since forever, just do it the way Sakura does it!" gr8 idea m8!

I see no reason to be forced to read using an imperfect source (music) and then guessing about how the mapper decided to make his sliders based around it.
theowest

Kyou-kun wrote:

especially how the hit circles don't expand when tapped.
I always liked how that gave you a sense of completion. It felt like a hitburst in a way.
Sakura

Kyou-kun wrote:

then guessing about how the mapper decided to make his sliders based around it.
Guess work shouldn't be required at all tho...
Ohrami

Sakura wrote:

Kyou-kun wrote:

then guessing about how the mapper decided to make his sliders based around it.
Guess work shouldn't be required at all tho...
Which is why we should have visual cues on sliders.
Tripl3M
pls give me the old skin back! i cant even play anymore... HOW CAN YOU FORCE BIG CHANGES LIKE THIS!!!
Kite

Sakura wrote:

Excuse me, slider speed changes depend on how the creator interprets the song in a map.
We need some sort of "visual hint" to see what the creator of a map made at certain spots.
I don't want to "feel" speed-downs.. it will just end up in hitting a slider and then break on it because you moved the cursor too fast.
Speed-downs or speed-ups work wonders on certain songs if used correctly, but you have to be able to tell when they appear.
lolcubes

RBRat3 wrote:

The thing is, when you have a very fast long stream with big spacing, such falling X can be extremely distracting.
Personally I absolutely love the update, however the X is a bit annoying to me and would love at least a toggle to turn the animation off.

Sakura wrote:

Guess work shouldn't be required at all tho..
Yes, that is why you have ticks. Otherwise any slider speed change would be unrankable.
ztrot

Sakura wrote:

I dont find much issue with the new skin other than the fact that the repeats' treshold before turning black is way too small atm and the new spinner sometimes makes me miss notes in the middle of it (tho i've always had trouble with notes on the center of spinners rather than to one of the sides)

About falling misses.... are they even that noticeable? i barely see them and i was trying on purpose to miss, yet i didn't see a thing until i focused really hard.
I have no words for this.
RBRat3

Kyou-kun wrote:

Considering what I've done with skinning this change is only a drop of water compared to what I've blown out of proportion to what IS worse and still was able to FC a moderately hard song.

Seeing as you have a supporter tag you have the freedom to provide constructive criticism in testing phases which you had every opportunity to take part in. That changelog isn't a transparent sheet of glass it moves everyday which you can readily check and give feedback in test BEFORE it ever makes a step into public and for that I have no sympathy for you or anyone who holds a supporter tag and doesn't use it to their advantage.

At the very least give it the benefit of the doubt by actually playing on it for a week, It's not that much to ask for.
ProTofik
It's like i am on Bioware forum
-this feature is bad and those are my reasons
-stop being so entitled and get used to it

-300, 100, 50 buttons have almost the same colour and I can't tell them apart (I'm a bit colourblind)
-very hard to spot X/fail button
-It's not possible to hit anything after spinner
-Feedback after hitting is gone which makes my life even harder

Menu looks fine but gameplay is terrible.

Anyway, has anyone managed to fix it and restore original skin, even not HD?
I really want to play osu but I find it nearly impossible.
Aqo
One thing I don't understand is,
why try to fix things that weren't broken?

the old Miss style was GOOD. Why the hell change it?
the old slider tick style was GOOD. Why touch it?
the old scoreboard menu was GOOD. Why change anything? to annoy people?
the old pie was fine. Why put a dot in the middle? you think we're not smart enough to know where the middle is?

The addition of new-style followpoints is good.
Some other changes are good.
The new circle fade upon being-clicked-on is so-so. In some situations it's for the better and in others it's for the worse. Personally, after experimenting with this on different maps all day long, I can't really say I enjoy the new style. I'm indifferent to the playability of this (tried playing a lot with default skin and concluded that it's still sub-par to invisible skins so the moderate improvement is still not enough) and feel-wise the lack of popping of circles when you click on them makes it feel less fun when playing streams.

The problem with this update is that it changed things that did not call for a change. I really don't understand the mentality of not allowing to revert. Every single commercial game that I know has huge option menus that let users heavily customize their play experience with all various features that the game offered across patches, why most osu be different? There is no gain to be had in preventing users from playing with their preferred settings. It's always good to see new additions, but why not let each user pick which additions he is interested in applying and which ones they're not interested in? Why choose the road that pisses off all people to a different extent instead of the road that satisfies everybody?

The best way to please everybody is let users decide what /they/ want. There is a reason that the most popular games these days are sandbox games. It's not any different with UI decisions, and in a game like osu a UI is a big part of gameplay.
Kite
What Aqo said +1
pixeldesu
This 'may' sound like a toggle-like thing, but why don't apply everything for the new default skin (like just leaving it, as it is right now), so all the new players are seeing that osu! is a fresh and modern game and for the people who don't like all this, adding these new things as options they can choose in the skin.ini for example (or the new skinning menu)...like en/disabling the falling X's (but peppy already declined this before) and every other option that may distract people from playing or even change the feel of playing.

I personally only miss the bumping hitcircles, after hitting them, everything else is fine for me, thought.
kriers

RBRat3 wrote:

Considering what I've done with skinning this change is only a drop of water compared to what I've blown out of proportion to what IS worse and still was able to FC a moderately hard song.

Seeing as you have a supporter tag you have the freedom to provide constructive criticism in testing phases which you had every opportunity to take part in. That changelog isn't a transparent sheet of glass it moves everyday which you can readily check and give feedback in test BEFORE it ever makes a step into public and for that I have no sympathy for you or anyone who holds a supporter tag and doesn't use it to their advantage.
If I would log in on osu!test, I'd hardly find anyone around. This is not our problem, it's the game developers, and it is what makes the actual game the real platform for testing out new features. Because of this alone, all new additions that affect gameplay should at least come with a toggle.

Seeing developers who don't even play the game for real, refusing to listen to people who do is extremely frustrating. It makes me lose all faith.

I completely agree with Aqo.
DarkLance
Personally I like all the changes in the skin behaviour ( at first the miss looked weird for me, but as you don't like, it helps you not to fail, because you don't want to see the falling miss) but I think it should be implemented the possibility to change this behaviour in the skin.ini

Something like that:

MissStyle: 1 ( old behaviour)
MissStyle: 2 ( new behaviour)
show more