forum

Poll 17: Why do you map?

posted
Total Posts

Why do you map?

Because i want a Ranked map of a song i like.
31.06%
Because i want to get known.
4.97%
Because i want to challenge the top players.
3.73%
Because i want to express myself artistically.
23.60%
Other
36.65%
Total votes: 161
Polling ended
Topic Starter
Sakura
This has been bothering me for a while and i wanted to ask the community what their motivation for mapping is, just simple curiosity.

If you map for multiple of these reasons then choose the one that motivates you the most.
lolcubes
I map for fun and because I like a song. (picked Other)
[Luanny]
^this and because the only one who can make a perfect map for my own taste is me, so I do it for my own fun
Teara
For fun, its just fun making beatmaps and loving the music helps a great deal too. Sure I feel a sense of accomplishment if I do it properly and it gets ranked, but it started because its fun, and hopefully it will end like that too ;)
dkun
I map for the sake of mapping. I enjoy songs I map, and I enjoy the maps I make.

It's fun, and that's what matters. 8-) (I picked other)
Loves
If I ever do get a map ranked, it's to watch other's enjoy my hard work ;)
[CSGA]Ar3sgice

lolcubes wrote:

me too ww
suzutsukikanade

lolcubes wrote:

^this
Andrea

lolcubes wrote:

Nothing else to say.
mancuso_JM_

Andrea wrote:

lolcubes wrote:

Nothing else to say.
Totally agree with Cubes, [CSGA] and Andrea. If I like a song, It will be probably mapped by me
Scorpiour
I map because the song moves me :>
BeatofIke
To be honest, it wasn't my original goal plan to become a mapper in osu! It just kinda happened overtime.

How did it all started?
One day in December 2011, I just decided to map a song I stepped from Stepmania and started to experiment with the mapping editor from scratch (without any assistance). I didn't jump directly to getting my map ranked at the time, I first wanted to learn how to map and how to use the editor. I made a few more maps afterwards for more experimentation.

One day, I just decided to go to Youtube to watched random Touhou videos. Eventually, i ended up watching a fan-made touhou opening. I couldn't stop watching the video, because I love the video and the song so much XD. Therefore, I attempted to map this song (this time for ranking), since there was none at the time. About 2.5 months of hardship and 4 months of mapping experience, I finally managed to get my first map ranked!

I picked Other for this reason!
Shiro
Mainly a way for me to make art. Let's be honest though, I was hoping for a bit of recognition from mapping. Oh the disappointment.
DakeDekaane

lolcubes wrote:

[Luanny] wrote:

^this and because the only one who can make a perfect map for my own taste is me, so I do it for my own fun
Mainly both, when people tell me one of my map is very good and fun, is when I push for rank.
Lally

lolcubes wrote:

u.u fun fun fun \o3o\
Frostmourne
can't map without love <3
rrtyui
I have the goal of making the map that really enjoyed myself.
(and because i want to challenge the top players. lol)
Tshemmp
Because i want a Ranked map of a song i like.
I don't care about the ranked part, I just want to make maps of songs I like.
Kuria

because the song is calling me to map it lol
Kin
it's fun that all \o
Snow Note
All of above.
Galkan
I originally wanted to map songs for getting them ranked, but I've lost my motivation in the process - I have few maps ready, but in fact I have never submitted them.
Kert
I selected Other
I map because I want people to enjoy the music even more in a form of a beatmap
Sometimes the music isn't well known or popular. But I find it really nice and want people to get acquainted with it or just let that small group of people who know it have fun
Other times the particular great song wasn't mapped yet and I want to fix that~
Zare
Whoa, that's actually hard to answer.

Obviously, I map for fun. I enjoy the music and have fun interpreting it in form of a map.
But let's be honest, I also look forward to getting my first map ranked. That way, more people can play - and enjoy - my map, which in the end will make me happy.
Additionally, having some people know you as a mapper isn't a bad thing either.

Oh yeah, and I think experience in mapping does help a bit for playing as well. If you are a mapper you can understand other's maps easier and eventually have an easier time playing them.

I think I'll go with"Other", because fun is still the most important thing about mapping. (Why isn't fun an option in the poll anyway?)
senaya
because i want to see the song mapped, but voted for ranked since it's similar.
Lizbeth
I map for fun, because I liked the song, or I think I'd make a fun map out of a certain song. I get them ranked because I want others to enjoy what I did.
MillhioreF
I map songs I enjoy in a way I find them enjoyable. Since what I find fun is vastly different from what most people find fun, not to mention breaks tons of guidelines and even a few rules, I don't aim for ranking at all, but I still upload some of them in case some others might enjoy them too.

Though I am trying to get a guest difficulty ranked just so I can say I did...
show more