forum

Poll 17: Why do you map?

posted
Total Posts

Why do you map?

Because i want a Ranked map of a song i like.
31.06%
Because i want to get known.
4.97%
Because i want to challenge the top players.
3.73%
Because i want to express myself artistically.
23.60%
Other
36.65%
Total votes: 161
Polling ended
show more
Shiro
Mainly a way for me to make art. Let's be honest though, I was hoping for a bit of recognition from mapping. Oh the disappointment.
DakeDekaane

lolcubes wrote:

I map for fun and because I like a song. (picked Other)

[Luanny] wrote:

^this and because the only one who can make a perfect map for my own taste is me, so I do it for my own fun
Mainly both, when people tell me one of my map is very good and fun, is when I push for rank.
Lally

lolcubes wrote:

I map for fun and because I like a song. (picked Other)
u.u fun fun fun \o3o\
Frostmourne
can't map without love <3
rrtyui
I have the goal of making the map that really enjoyed myself.
(and because i want to challenge the top players. lol)
Tshemmp
Because i want a Ranked map of a song i like.
I don't care about the ranked part, I just want to make maps of songs I like.
Kuria

because the song is calling me to map it lol
Kin
it's fun that all \o
Snow Note
All of above.
Galkan
I originally wanted to map songs for getting them ranked, but I've lost my motivation in the process - I have few maps ready, but in fact I have never submitted them.
Kert
I selected Other
I map because I want people to enjoy the music even more in a form of a beatmap
Sometimes the music isn't well known or popular. But I find it really nice and want people to get acquainted with it or just let that small group of people who know it have fun
Other times the particular great song wasn't mapped yet and I want to fix that~
Zare
Whoa, that's actually hard to answer.

Obviously, I map for fun. I enjoy the music and have fun interpreting it in form of a map.
But let's be honest, I also look forward to getting my first map ranked. That way, more people can play - and enjoy - my map, which in the end will make me happy.
Additionally, having some people know you as a mapper isn't a bad thing either.

Oh yeah, and I think experience in mapping does help a bit for playing as well. If you are a mapper you can understand other's maps easier and eventually have an easier time playing them.

I think I'll go with"Other", because fun is still the most important thing about mapping. (Why isn't fun an option in the poll anyway?)
senaya
because i want to see the song mapped, but voted for ranked since it's similar.
Lizbeth
I map for fun, because I liked the song, or I think I'd make a fun map out of a certain song. I get them ranked because I want others to enjoy what I did.
MillhioreF
I map songs I enjoy in a way I find them enjoyable. Since what I find fun is vastly different from what most people find fun, not to mention breaks tons of guidelines and even a few rules, I don't aim for ranking at all, but I still upload some of them in case some others might enjoy them too.

Though I am trying to get a guest difficulty ranked just so I can say I did...
bomber34
Because i want to express myself artistically
or
Other ....
uhhh I don't know. I actually just want to be able to play songs that I like since I cannot stand these "annoying anime voices of 8 year old girls that are actually 22 or chipmunk stuff >,<
That's why I mostly map. I also create them to have something at exactly my skill level.
I also map for my friends .... kind of.

But I am most motivated to map a song when I really love it. and I mean like really enjoying it. I see like a vision of what would feel nice in my opinion and i cannot stop mapping until I can express that vision as a map
I chose "Because i want to express myself artistically " now but it is a close call between "Other"
Pokie
For fun o3o
theowest
playing osu! is fun and I try to increase the fun by mapping songs I like.
Soaprman
I picked "Other"... though I've dabbled in the "to get a ranked map of a song I like" and "to be known" reasons plenty, the ranking process is too long and bogged down with rules to be worth bothering with anymore. Nowadays I go for less glamourous versions of those goals... something like "because a map of this song needs to exist" or "to make something the small handful of people who play my maps would enjoy". Not gonna strike it big this way by any stretch, but at least I get to make my maps exactly how I want them to be. :)
Gonzvlo
Because when I listen to a song I like, I imagine a map and I need to try and make. Basically because I enjoy the songs I map.

Choosed "other".
Kiddo-Kun
Chose other because it's just fun to map and try out new styles and see what I can do to make the next map even more fun
CXu
Well, after I began mapping I keep "mapping" songs in my head whenever I listen to music. A lot of times what I imagine seriously don't fit though, which is why I end up with 39484 unsubmitted maps with a whopping length of 0:10.
Generally though, I map because I like the song, and find mapping enjoyable. I'll try get maps ranked, but I don't really care either way (as shown by my graveyard), so I picked "other".

MillhioreF wrote:

Though I am trying to get a guest difficulty ranked just so I can say I did...
lalalalala.
ouranhshc
stress relief and its fun
D33d
"Other." When I push for a rank, I want to provide something that other maps don't have. I'm not saying that in an arrogant way, but I'm very particular about how shape and rhythm is used. I also want to try to get different types of music into the community. Not one of my mapped songs have been similar to each other nor to what's currently in vogue. I have three mapsets sitting around, which I'll probably try to rank around the summer. I have loads of ideas for maps otherwise, so I'll hopefully end up with a good workflow of maps.

I also like to make guest difficulties for people, so that I can help people by leading by example or simply giving them less work to do. Unfortunately, almost none of my efforts have been reciprocated by an earnest attempt to rank/complete something. It's a shame, because I tend to make them for good maps. All I want is a committed person, with a good style of mapping, to let me work with them and provide a set with a unique combination of styles.

DEEDIT: I suppose that I also map for e-penis. Luckily, it seems to have worked to an extent.
Meatstick_old
Other. I map because I love music and love being able to represent my interpretation of it to other people. Everything else is a pleasant secondary.
Shohei Ohtani
I map because I'm bored as shit.
Flanster
I chose "Other" since its a combination between "Because i want a Ranked map of a song i like" and "mapping is a fun thing"

CDFA wrote:

I map because I'm bored as shit.
hit me up bby. jk.
deadbeat
cause it's fun to map :D
and it puts a smile on my face when people enjoy my maps :3
emonite
It's hard as hell fun to make beatmaps and I just want to try it out how it sucks feels to make a beatmap of your own. 8-)
Nyquill
I love the feeling when someone tells you "I know exactly what you were trying to do here" and they can explain it to me what I was doing. It makes me feel like I didn't waste the effort trying to make expressive ideas within my mapping.

So far there has been only two people who actually told me that they understood though, but that keeps me trying haha.
Kurokami
I choosed the first plus I like mapping. Even tho my style is still sucks as I was using my brain I alway got new ideas and that makes the whole mapping more fun to me.
mm201
Because I want to make something people will have fun with. Since I would have a hard time understanding what others find fun, I start with what I find fun. Creating an experience where the player feels like part of the song is a big part of that.
GladiOol
Other.

I want to attract the bitches with my mapping skills. They just love sliders. ;) ;) ;) ;)
Cyclohexane
I map cause...

It's fun.
Yuzeyun
For fun mostly. And in some way, with my songs, to get known (but that's another part of it as it's my songs eh)
Other than that, it's also to let people discover more or less what are the songs we've listened to when we were younger etc. I am careful about what to submit!
Krenyez
For sharing my mapping skill~
Including Timing, Story Boarding, Mapping Technique, etc
Stefan
Mapping for getting a longer E-Penis
I map because it makes fun and also sometimes I wish a Mapset from this or this Song (or mapping a personally better Mapset as the already ranked one). Also, I want to share my abilities in the Mapping Area and want to show how I feel the rhythm of the Song and how I would map it.
WVS

Shiro wrote:

Mainly a way for me to make art. Let's be honest though, I was hoping for a bit of recognition from mapping. Oh the disappointment.
Vish024
I'd only map songs that I liked. Unfortunately I never really got into it, I felt it took too much of my effort and time. I used to regularly hear music that I took a liking to and thought "I should map this shit it's brilliant". Subsequently I'd enter the editor a few days later, stick a background in, map the first minute or so of the song and then get bored and never come back to it.
Wishy
I don't map. xDDDDDD
show more