17.78%
Sat
60.00%
Sun
22.22%
Total votes: 45
Topic Starter
Haneii
Last year's thread was a big help in organizing our osu! meet up (Thank you, 411662). I think it's about time we prepare for this year's meet up...and tournament perhaps?

why does the sizing keep breaking D:

Meet-Ups + Dinner - CHECK BACK HERE ONCE THE CON STARTS FOR UPDATES!!!

Meet up

Saturday May 25: 17:00 - 19:00 @ Sheraton Hotel (room TBA)

Group Dinners

Saturday May 25: 19:00 @ Sushi-ya Japan - 621 Dixon Road

Anime North Attendance List

SPOILER
  • 1. _Flower_
    2. awp
    3. blueasian
    4. Bronkasaurus
    5. Byakugan249
    6. FurukawaPan
    7. Giralda
    8. Gundam-Dude
    9. Haneii
    10. Haruka
    11. Hazian
    12. jonathanlfj
    13. Kiddo-Kun
    14. Kitsunemimi
    15. mm201
    16. Nyquill
    17. pmonibuv1
    18. Rororonan
    19. RythmicPurpose
    20. those
    21. Unagasu
    22. Weez
    23. Xakyrie
    24. YodaSnipe
    25. Yoshi_green

As requested, here's a convention guide for AN2013 (directed at first time go-ers, but could be helpful to anyone :P)

Anime North 101

Before the convention:

1. Print out all your tickets and confirmations
This includes pre-registration tickets, hotel reservations, moonlight ball tickets etc..

2. Pack your chargers and memory cards
Make sure you have everything you need for your cell phone, iPod, camera, laptops, etc.. Bring your 3DS to rake up hundreds of street passes ;)

3. Wear comfortable shoes
Title says it all. You’ll be doing A LOT of walking. If you’re cosplaying, bring an alternate pair of shoes that you can slip into once your feet start aching.

4. Money!
If possible, stop and get cash BEFORE coming to the convention. You’ll want to avoid ATM’s at the convention. The line-ups are huge D: (heads up: DVD’s and figurines can get pretty expensive so make sure you have enough for all your expenses at the con! This way you won’t have to starve because you couldn’t part without that Axel PVC figure!)

5. Take a comfortable/light bag with you

Have a bag with you to carry all your personal items and, later, your purchases.

6. PACK WATER

STAY HYDRATED! Always have a water bottle on you. You’ll be surrounded by 20K people in hot weather (usually in the high 20’s °C)

7. Pack snacks

Most of the food options near the convention will have long lines. You can spend more time at the con if you pack some of your own snacks.

8. Research your food options before heading to the con

Look up their locations, menu, etc.. Plan where you wish to eat for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

9. Have a look at the convention’s website in advance

Take note of the events/people you don’t want to miss.

10. Once you get it, DON’T FORGET YOUR BADGE.

You’ll need to have this on you at all times. You won’t be allowed into panels, events/activities, or the dealer’s room without it!

11. Plan to show up early for registration

Friday – starts at 1pm
Saturday – starts at 9am
Sunday – starts at 9:30am
If you’ve pre-registered you can pick up your pass on Thursday between 5pm-9pm

At the convention:

1. DRINK WATER! KEEP HYDRATED!
You should have a water bottle on you. You'll also find water stations set up everywhere around and inside the convention. YOU HAVE NO EXCUSE!

2. Read the Con guide [Try out the guidebook phone app!]
You’ll receive an information booklet with your badge at registration. It’ll contain the con rules and a detailed schedule of events. With a pen or highlighter, mark anything that catches your interest: games, panels, workshops, contests, band performances, dances, autograph sessions, and anime screenings.

3. Be mindful of your (and other’s) cosplay wigs, long trailing bits, and props in crowded spot
s
Try not to jab or hurt anyone with your cosplay and keep a look out yourself. Avoid stepping on someone’s cosplay.

4. Keep checking your phone regularly

You will not hear your phone most of the time! Always check your messages in case someone is trying to get a hold of you!

5. Bus and Transport between Venues
A convention shuttle service will run between the Toronto Congress Center, Doubletree Hotel and the Sheraton Hotel (see pocket program for times). There will be a special shuttle Friday night only to the Marriott Hotel for use by attendees of the Moonlight Ball.

6. Don’t be afraid to split up.
Don’t feel pressured to spend every min with your group of friends. It’s fine to go off to explore on your own or in pairs if you’re part of a large group. No matter how much you and your friends have in common, you won’t all want to do the same thing all of the time!

7. Don't spend the entire time at con doing the same thing.

Don’t just stay in the dealers room shopping or watch anime all day.

8. Take short breaks to do nothing. Just sit back and relax for bit.

9. Don’t wear heavy/thick cosplays or masks at any of the dances.

10. Line up early for big-name events.
Band performances, cosplay/voice/ AMV contests, and awards ceremonies. Get there early to grab a seat!

11. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!

Remember to eat, sleep, DRINK WATER, shower, and brush your teeth!

Areas of interest at AN 2013

There is just way too many things going on for me list here, so I’ll just post my personal suggestions (minus panels and workshops!) and I encourage everyone else on this thread to do so as well!

At the Toronto Congress Centre

• Dealer’s Room: 300 tables of anime, manga, and much more, all for sale and waiting for you. Open all weekend.

Anime Themed Wrestling: I find it fun to watch. The wrestlers try to stay cannon throughout the match XD. Friday at 6 PM and Saturday at noon in Hall G.

J-Pop and J-Rave Dances: Dance Friday and Saturday nights away from 8 PM – 2 AM.

Nominochi: A Flea Market of used anime, manga, and assorted merchandise. Friday in Hall F from 7:30 PM to 10:30 PM.

Charity Auction: Help raise money for Sick Kids Hospital at an auction of anime merchandise. Sunday, noon in Hall G.

Otakubaloo: Music and dancing on an outdoor stage. West side of TCC.

Nagata Shachu: Japanese Taiko Drumming performance. Outdoor stage on west side of TCC, Saturday 2:30 PM – 3:30 PM.

At the Sheraton Hotel

• Video Gaming, Retro Arcade, and LAN Party: More computers, new and old, than you can handle. Includes DDR, running all weekend.

Manga Library: Sit down for a bit and read one of the hundreds of volumes available.

At the Double Tree Hotell

• Anime Family Feud - Last year it was a "mahou shoujo showdown": Sailor Scouts vs The Puella Magi of Madoka Magica. Not sure what it'll it be this year but seems fun - Friday at 6pm

Video Game Name That Tune - Friday at 7pm

Karaoke - Friday at 11pm

Anime Name That Tune - Saturday at 10am

Anime Jeopardy followed by MLP Jeopardy - Saturday at 1pm and 2pm, respectively.

Anime Music Video Awards

Anime North Idol Finals - Saturday at 3:30pm

For more times and specifics (ie: types of panels, workshops, game shows/contests/activities) wait for the finished schedule to be posted on the official Anime North website or have a look at it once you receive your booklet at the convention.

Please share any tips you think I've missed/are important to add!
awp
I'll aim to pop in on one of the days just to hang out with you folks. Without a full schedule of con events posted I can't decide which day that'll be.

Haneii, I'll bring my keyblade, but I won't be able to bring it into the convention due to their policies. We'll have to stroll down to the parking lot if you wanna play with it.
YodaSnipe
If Haneii is there, you can bet your ass I'll be there. No tournament though :P

I still need to pre-reg for a group pass.
Nyquill
KITAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm still looking for people to fill my 15 people group. Toss me a PM if you want in.
Topic Starter
Haneii

awp wrote:

I'll aim to pop in on one of the days just to hang out with you folks. Without a full schedule of con events posted I can't decide which day that'll be.

Haneii, I'll bring my keyblade, but I won't be able to bring it into the convention due to their policies. We'll have to stroll down to the parking lot if you wanna play with it.
Putting you down as coming! Nearly everything is anime related so not sure if you'll find anything of interest once the schedule is out :/ Perhaps the variety of gaming tournaments held over the weekend? You'll have better chance meeting everyone (most of us) on the Sat though. Yay @ Keyblade :D

@ Yoda: Aww, why not?

@Nyquill: I better see you this time =_=
Xakyrie
Talked to my sister about this and we might just show up for Friday. We don't particularly have tons of money to blow and of course the first day it's open is probably the best to get any merch at all, so...
pmon
Interesting. I'll be at AN this year. Depending on when stuff happens, i'll see if I meet up or not.
those
Posting here for easier forum access
Oh, and I'm with Nyquill
awp
signing my osu! mug is compulsory, just fyi
Sairokun
Last year was fun, I might come again ^_^
Kiddo-Kun
My attendance completely depends on Weez's attendance :c

But I think there is a high chance that I'll be there <3
gurodoll_old
Where's that rare fox
RB_Oliver
I really want to go, but the ticket is so expensive, :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( so sad
jonathanlfj

those wrote:

Oh, and I'm with Nyquill
same
Soulclenz
there is a good chance I will be there this time. It depends on if I have enough money for a flight down though.

I will not leave you guys hanging this time if i can't come =p
SpartanHornetz
Still haven't decided on going or not, but it's either Friday or Saturday if I am. I might also have a group coming with me, but I have yet to know what my club thinks...

Btw, "hisashiburi", it's been awhile guys
YodaSnipe

Soulclenz wrote:

there is a good chance I will be there this time. It depends on if I have enough money for a flight down though.

You are 0 for 1 at Anime Norths you said you'd attend! 0% showing rate soooo I don't believe you!

I'm also with Nyquill.

And Haneii cause I don't play osu! anymore? lol (Bet I could beat soul on mouse though ;) )
Topic Starter
Haneii
Someone beat me to the making an osu! panel at the con XD

YodaSnipe wrote:

And Haneii cause I don't play osu! anymore? lol (Bet I could beat soul on mouse though ;) )
I bet you can't ;)

Hope to see you there again JBsparta117 ^_^
YodaSnipe

Haneii wrote:

YodaSnipe wrote:

I bet you can't ;)
Yep I definitely can't.
Topic Starter
Haneii
Well that backfired :/
YodaSnipe

Haneii wrote:

oh honey, you try so hard you little loli you <3
Backfire

Haneii wrote:

GG
Soulclenz

YodaSnipe wrote:

Soulclenz wrote:

You are 0 for 1 at Anime Norths you said you'd attend! 0% showing rate soooo I don't believe you!

I'm also with Nyquill.

1 AN is not a big enough sample size to draw the conclusion that i will not be there this year!
FurukawaPan
I usually don't get away from the Manga Library much if at all while at AN, but I'll try to find you guys.
YodaSnipe

Soulclenz wrote:

1 AN is not a big enough sample size to draw the conclusion that i will not be there this year!
You know I am a petty person. I was completely distraught over you not showing up last year, therefore I will not hold my breath!

FurukawaPan wrote:

I usually don't get away from the Manga Library much if at all while at AN, but I'll try to find you guys.
Don't worry, like last year we will seek you out!

Highlights from Anime North 2012 in order of Awesomeness:
- Got Mio merchandise (Wall of Mio full :( I need another wall!)
- Met FurukawaPan and MM201!!!
- Haneii is a loli -> True story
- Kitsunemimi is legit the best wingman in osu!
- HANEII CAN SING! Though ... she forever ruined the song Last Christmas ... orz yaoi
- I sing for Haneii!
- Got a 5some with some maid cosplayers-i mean a picture with the four of them and me*
- We went dancing
- We ate Japanese food together
- We played some osu! and CtB and taiko together
- Haneii threatened Mio and I nearly did something that is not rated E for Everyone to her
- dkun mentioned something about grandkids (this was actually just after AN2012)
- Soulclenz is a liar.
RythmicPurpose
I have my osu stuff on my external ..>.> not sure if my friend will want to spend an hour playing a game he's not good at.
Soulclenz

YodaSnipe wrote:

Soulclenz wrote:

You know I am a petty person. I was completely distraught over you not showing up last year, therefore I will not hold my breath!

- Soulclenz is a liar.
Siiiiiigh.
YodaSnipe

Soulclenz wrote:

Siiiiiigh.
You also owe me a cherry pie and a pizza iirc. I expect to be paid in full!
Weez

Kiddo-Kun wrote:

My attendance completely depends on Weez's attendance :c

But I think there is a high chance that I'll be there <3
So far there is an 86.66% chance of both of us going but that most likely will change real soon!! \o/
Zerostarry
I live like 5 minutes away from the Con center, so I miiiight be there this year...

If i'm not too shy i'll meet up with you guys for a bit, i'll most likely be with my group of friends if they come, or just getting merch. :I
YodaSnipe

Princess wrote:

If i'm not too shy i'll meet up with you guys for a bit
Don't worry about being shy. The only mean person in Canada is Soulclenz and he didn't even show up last year.

I never understood the whole shy thing, I know so many people that are shy (*points at Nyquill and those*). Just get in there and say "Hi!" I promise we won't bite, I do NOT however promise no hugs <3

So c'mon Canadians let's join together for some fun times!!!
SpartanHornetz
Pffft, shy...

Let there be open arms in the lands of Canadia.
Kitsunemimi
Oh hi, I seemed to have forgotten to post here yet o3o.

Let's see... I got my ticket in January, but I still don't know how I'm going to get the place! Preparation ho~ (then again there's still like 2 months...ish).
Well, hopefully I'll figure it out. If I'm not too lazy. >_>

EDIT: Oh hey, it seems I have 2,012 posts. Too bad it's 2013.

EDIT2: woo hoo 2,013 posts~
Nyquill
Oh, guys do make back up plans to pre-register if you're on my list already. If I don't manage to get 15 people in 2-3weeks (and get a significant amount of people to pay me in advance so I don't pay $600 up front), we'll have to go to plan B.
those

Nyquill wrote:

Oh, guys do make back up plans to pre-register if you're on my list already. If I don't manage to get 15 people in 2-3weeks (and get a significant amount of people to pay me in advance so I don't pay $600 up front), we'll have to go to plan B.
Let us know your deadline of finding 15 people. And if you wanna meet up somewhere to receive monies that's cool too.
Nyquill
The 28th sounds good for me.
Soulclenz
Let it be known that i am not a mean person and that hanging out with me made yoda's whole summer.
YodaSnipe

JBsparta117 wrote:

Pffft, shy...

Let there be open arms in the lands of Canadia.
PREACH BROTHA!

Soulclenz wrote:

Let it be known that i am not a mean person and that hanging out with me made yoda's whole summer.
Perhaps if you had given me my cherry pie and pizza then yeah
Soulclenz

YodaSnipe wrote:

Soulclenz wrote:

Perhaps if you had given me my cherry pie and pizza then yeah
was there even any good pizza where we were? i don't know these things!
YodaSnipe
We were in T dot....
show more