forum

Do you get "constantly" better or from one day to another?

posted
Total Posts
show more
Topic Starter
Shadowyuri
I go with the break thing too, after a break I suck for a day and then get better. So I think its sometimes smart to take a break if you are stuck :F ?
Asx-H
No, I randomly get better after like 3 weeks of not playing for a few days and thinking I suck and seeming getting worse. Vicious cycle :(

Think it's just better for yourself to play the game with different techniques and not trying for actual improvement. Also, moderation, I don't think 15 hours a day every day really helps.
silmarilen
i get better over time, but because the increase is so small i only really notice it every now and then so it looks like i get small bursts of skill increase
AWESOME-SAMA
Yes! Practice makes perfect, ya know.
Topic Starter
Shadowyuri

AWESOME-SAMA wrote:

Yes! Practice makes perfect, ya know.
Yeah, that is for sure. But as I read this thread I think its good to make a break once in a while, I just ask myself when this moment is?
[Luanny]
well, I stopped playing for like two weeks and, for my surprise, I was playing really better after that lol
when I try to play everyday constantly I end up playing like shit
Jordan
I'm not improving since much time. Noticed a huge skill loss in stream speed and accuracy especially
usa
I don't notice improvements until I'm able to do a massive pp farming spree by improving ranks. Then I'm stuck in limbo and rinse and repeat.
Full Tablet
I seems to be slowly improving from one day to another (in average), but I seem to be gradually losing my ability to play without listening to the music (useful for very bad timed beatmaps where the music confuses instead of helping, or you just plainly hate the song).

https://osu.ppy.sh/b/20447?m=0. My most pp-worthy play was done after about 40 tries, about 4 months ago. About a week ago I played that map 60 times and I couldn't beat my record.

https://osu.ppy.sh/p/beatmap?b=89463&m=0. About 6 months ago I passed this map with an A (about 94% acc and lot of combo breaks), then, about 1 month later I could pass it with a better combo, but only ~85% (losing a lot of pp in that moment). Now I don't get a better record than that after dozens of tries.
Winshley

MillhioreF wrote:

My skill level grows very slowly over time, but mostly it fluctuates. Like, one day I'll be okay, the next day I'll be totally horrible and can barely play anything, then I'll be all right, and once a month or so I get a random skill boost and set some amazing record before falling back into failhood.
This for me.

I'll see what happens when I got back from hiatus. /inb4 fresh start experience \:D/
theowest
I get better whenever I put myself through some extreme training for a couple of hours.
Taking any break longer than 2 days from osu! will result horribly. I feel like I've wasted so much play count by going back in skill after taking so many breaks..
Yarissa
I get sudden boosts of skill when I adapt to new playstyles that work better for me. I'll usually play consistent at one level until I can adapt to playing something new. Each new playstyle has its pros and cons and I'm constantly tweaking to make my gameplay better. My most recent playstyle change was switching from cherry mx blue mechanical switches to cherry mx red mechanical switches and dear god the changes were significant. I can singletap all this stuff I couldn't before.
The Muffin Man
I seem to get better most of the time - every day I'm beating new maps, some of which I totally gave up on only a few days ago.
Heibel
I do get better a lot. But i have to stop myself from playing those damn unranked maps...
Topic Starter
Shadowyuri

Heibel wrote:

I do get better a lot. But i have to stop myself from playing those damn unranked maps...
Yeah know that. But there are so many awesome unranked maps q.q
Zamura_old
I don't usually feel like I get any better from a day to day basis, but then I go look at my youtube channel and see things I posted a few months ago and think "god, why did i think that was worth posting?" Thats how I reassure myself that yes, I actually am improving.
Tshemmp

Heibel wrote:

Wait, how is playing unranked maps bad?
Topic Starter
Shadowyuri

Tshemmp wrote:

Heibel wrote:

Maybe cause you don't get PP for it? Even if the PP system isn't really an exact indicator of progress it kinda shows it. Like, a #1.200 is better than a #20.000. Even if that's not always true, in most cases I feel like it is.
Almost

Shadowyuri wrote:

Tshemmp wrote:

Maybe cause you don't get PP for it? Even if the PP system isn't really an exact indicator of progress it kinda shows it. Like, a #1.200 is better than a #20.000. Even if that's not always true, in most cases I feel like it is.
Shouldn't judge people's skill by pp. I'm pretty horrible and my pp is a lot higher than it really should be. Unranked maps are fine to play because there are challenging and fun maps that aren't ranked and can certainly improve one's skill.
Tshemmp

Shadowyuri wrote:

Hu? I don't see how having no pp is bad. You have your skill regardless of your amount of pp.
Heibel

Tshemmp wrote:

Shadowyuri wrote:

Hu? I don't see how having no pp is bad. You have your skill regardless of your amount of pp.
People judge you a lot by the amount of pp you have.
Tshemmp

Heibel wrote:

Tshemmp wrote:

People judge you a lot by the amount of pp you have.
You shouldn't care about those people's opinions.
Topic Starter
Shadowyuri

enquire wrote:

Shadowyuri wrote:

Shouldn't judge people's skill by pp. I'm pretty horrible and my pp is a lot higher than it really should be. Unranked maps are fine to play because there are challenging and fun maps that aren't ranked and can certainly improve one's skill.
I think I made it sound wrong? I know that PP has nothing to do with skill. But I still think a #200 can beat a #20000. Maybe you can help me here, I thought getting PP gets harder the more you have, right? So if you have lots of PP you need to FC Harder maps, which means a #200 must have ranked really high on a lot really hard maps OR has to over and over again get 1PP from Hard maps. Did I get this wrong?
Aqo

Shadowyuri wrote:

But I still think a #200 can beat a #20000.
Unfortunately even this is not reliably true.

KaODia got all the way to #30 by playing [Normal]s and [Easy]s with fullmod. He started playing [Hard]s now so he's on #15, gogo~
Topic Starter
Shadowyuri

Aqo wrote:

Shadowyuri wrote:

KaODia got all the way to #30 by playing [Normal]s and [Easy]s with fullmod. He started playing [Hard]s now so he's on #15, gogo~
Well in that case. I didn't say anything, just ignore me guys lol. /o/
Almost

Aqo wrote:

Shadowyuri wrote:

I think easys stop giving pp pretty early and normals stop giving pp once you are at about 5k.
Aqo

enquire wrote:

I think easys stop giving pp pretty early and normals stop giving pp once you are at about 5k.
If you add FL they give all the way to rank 300 and higher
MillhioreF
It depends on the normal diff, 99% give nothing when you're above rank #2000 or so. There are always oddballs though, and KaODia probably found them amidst his easy/normal spam.
Almost

Aqo wrote:

enquire wrote:

If you add FL they give all the way to rank 300 and higher
I used to play easy with all mods and I got no pp for doing that so. Normals on the other hand might still give pp at high levels but only if you get a rank 1.