forum

What should I do to be able play Insanes? :'(

posted
Total Posts
show more
Tanzklaue
you first have to learn to crawl before you learn to walk. yeah, there are cases were you can skip the "crawling", but in general, it's better to learn things steady and properly than trying it until you die. also you may retain your mental sanity that way. just playing ultra hard maps is insanely frustrating and won't get you anywhere if you get to upset. and as a last point: if you are able to fc hard maps with dt, you often will get some top 100 ranks. and nothing is more motivating than accomplishing something that is somewhat hard.
Frizz

makkura wrote:

I used to play with Logitech MX518 when I was a mouse player and it was the best gaming mouse I've ever used for osu!, and some people have already told you, put your DPI to 800, don't go higher or lower than that. Remove mouse acceleration, 6/11 Windows and 1.0 osu! in-game, rankwhoring will help you getting more skilled.
Eh I went from 800dpi to 400dpi and it turns out random misses occur less often to me ever since then.
Wishy

Tanzklaue wrote:

you first have to learn to crawl before you learn to walk. yeah, there are cases were you can skip the "crawling", but in general, it's better to learn things steady and properly than trying it until you die. also you may retain your mental sanity that way. just playing ultra hard maps is insanely frustrating and won't get you anywhere if you get to upset. and as a last point: if you are able to fc hard maps with dt, you often will get some top 100 ranks. and nothing is more motivating than accomplishing something that is somewhat hard.
A fast crawler is useless compared to a slow walker.
Tanzklaue

Wishy22 wrote:

Tanzklaue wrote:

A fast crawler is useless compared to a slow walker.
a slow walker will fall over and over again. also fast crawling is faster than slow walking.
Raging Bull
Well I suck at insanes now compared to before but if you can, try playing some val maps. They're pretty fun and quite challenging.
Wishy

Tanzklaue wrote:

A slow walker will fall over and over again. also fast crawling is faster than slow walking.
You didn't get my point, nvm. :p
thelewa

Wishy22 wrote:

Don't even do that, don't play mods until you can play them or insane, or at the very most DT Hards to train some high BPM single tapping, but no more than that, it's no good (imo).

Lewa you bitch give the guy some advice on HOW TO BE LIKE YOU.
Done, if he wants to be stuck for 10 months then he can follow my advice
lolcubes
I want to be stuck for 10 months. :(

/offtopic
Topic Starter
TocoToucan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpfUqxG3MO8
My typical [Insane] gameplay :'(
Tanzklaue

Wishy22 wrote:

Tanzklaue wrote:

A slow walker will fall over and over again. also fast crawling is faster than slow walking.
You didn't get my point, nvm. :p
no, you didn't get mine. the slow walker might have accomplished the harder thing earlier, but a crawler will sometimes start to walk, and he will then improve much faster than the slow walker who never crawled, because he learned things the slow walker never experienced.
here in osu, nobody remembers the guys who brag about how they could pass insanes in under a month. instead, we remember guys like kriers or ragelewa, who accomplish high ranks with high accuracy. and we admire people who can play mods properly, such as cookiezi or WW, and playing easier maps with mods will give you a better feeling about these mods.
lolcubes
It all depends on the person really. He should just do what he finds most fun. I was headbashing against insanes I couldn't pass and made it in the end. Lots of people practiced hards and stuff and made it too. It's just personal preference.
I do recommend starting with low bpm maps and training your accuracy before your reaction speed on high bpm maps though, it's worth more in the long run, if you ever want to keep high accuracy play atleast. But I guess that's because I'm also an accuracy whore and I feel that accuracy is most important.
Aqo

TocoToucan wrote:

This video shows this instantly: you're having a ton of trouble with spacing. (lots of 1/2 circles, etc)
And this is a direct result of your huge DPI.
Learn to play with low DPI already, it will make your life much much easier.

Also, refer to my signature and try out all of the maps with "SP" in their 'style' on the listing, this will help you train spacing accuracy. If you couldn't pass a map on first try, use nofail on the second run, don't just retry a million times because that's just a waste of time. Play it once and move on to other maps, return to it much later once you got better.
Raging Bull

TocoToucan wrote:

Not bad. Not all of us gets better in like few days. Took me few weeks before I could play insanes somewhat decently. Just keep practicing.
Wishy

Tanzklaue wrote:

no, you didn't get mine. the slow walker might have accomplished the harder thing earlier, but a crawler will sometimes start to walk, and he will then improve much faster than the slow walker who never crawled, because he learned things the slow walker never experienced.
here in osu, nobody remembers the guys who brag about how they could pass insanes in under a month. instead, we remember guys like kriers or ragelewa, who accomplish high ranks with high accuracy. and we admire people who can play mods properly, such as cookiezi or WW, and playing easier maps with mods will give you a better feeling about these mods.
I got your point but you still can't get mine. Being a pro crawler has nothing to do with being a fast walker, that's what I'm trying to make you understand.

Nah, you didn't really see when people started playing hard HRs/DTs, they used to get shit accuracy and got some really clumsy replays back then. Whenever you start playing really hard things your accuracy sucks and your plays look like shit, they get better with time. That's how it works and there isn't really any way around. Only truth is that by going REALLY slow it will take you AGES to be good like lewa said, but your accuracy will be very good. But STILL, it will take you ages, again, to be good at top tier maps/DT/HRs.

Any decent player can play hard + DT or HR like it's nothing, which doesn't mean AT ALL the guy's gonna be good/decent at hard things. It is not helpful to waste time playing easily mapped stuff, since what's really hard in this game are patterns, complex rhythms, very high ARs/OD, and alternating between 1/2 1/4 on very high BPMs. And guess what, you get none of those on easy maps. You can be a god on hard DT, you will still be bad at hard stuff, while you gonna rock at hard DT if you're good/decent at really hard stuff.

Only real advantages of going the slow way is: your accuracy will be consistently good, and you will not suffer from extreme frustration.

PS: I'm sure most pro players started playing clearing insanes easily in their first month (unless they were playing super casually/on a horrible setup).
G0r
Wow... I wake up to find that this thread became a monster while I was asleep. XD

Anyway, I read what everyone is saying, and aside from thinking it's super cool that everyone is taking this so seriously for you (which I understand, since you genuinely look like you could be a good player with more time and proper settings), I have something that I want to share. This is my story of learning to play Osu!.

I personally began playing Osu with a crappy mouse that I could barely control. I played hard, and I got to probably somewhere around your skill level, maybe a little better. I finally got a Deathadder gaming mouse, because it became apparent to me that I was spending so much time on this game that I obviously wanted to take it to the next level with some more precise tools. I started with that mouse. When I first began with it, I knew that the common knowledge was that low DPI is better, but somehow every time that I tried to set my DPI to 800, which is the common DPI that most pros use, I felt like it was impossible to play... so I started experimenting with setting it higher. I went up, up, up, until I was using 2000 DPI, and each time I went up I felt like I was playing better, and gaining control over my mouse. This was, in fact, an illusion. What I was gaining was more movement for less effort. Since my muscles weren't honed enough to handle some of the fast movements that I needed to play insane maps, I was feeling like I was playing better because my small efforts were being rewarded with dramatic movement and speed. This, however, made me terribly inaccurate, and my aim was not very good. I was still improving, though! I was steadily getting better and better from long hours of practice and fun. However, as I improved, and as my muscles got better, I started to see the error of my ways... I felt that it was taking so much muscle control and strain to control my mouse that sometimes I was sure I'd develop carpal tunnel eventually. It became impossible to tense my muscles enough to play the maps that I wanted to play. That is when I realized that I had to drop my DPI. I was at a skill level that was high enough that I could physically feel the need for it. I slowly started moving my DPI down. I went down, down, down, and every time I did it I felt like I was getting worse at the game, because my mouse felt harder and harder to move the way that I wanted to move it. At this point in time I was using something like 700 DPI. But then something cool happened... I started playing better... As I practiced more with lower DPI, my muscles began to understand what they needed to do with it, and I got better so quickly that I could feel the improvement every day. I got so good that I actually surpassed my previous skill level that I had when I was using 2000 DPI. I surpassed it by miles. At that point I noticed, however, that I was still feeling just a little off. I felt like I was still straining my hand, but now it was because I felt that getting to the very top and bottom of the screen was difficult for me. I finally decided that I wanted to go up to a nice rounded 800 DPI. I made that change, and I immediately felt better. It didn't feel like I was straining to do anything, and I didn't feel like it was too easy on my muscles either. It was just right for me. I've sometimes thought about going lower again, but the fact is that I probably never will, because now I am probably five times better than I ever was when I was using 700 DPI, and I might even be ten times better than I was with 2000 DPI. I can safely say that for the moment I have no plans to ever change from 800 until it becomes impossible for me to improve further at that setting.

Long story short, it took me a few months to get down to 700 DPI. It took me maybe one month to get back up to 800 and surpass my previous skill when I was on 700. Keep ramping it down, and play until you feel the difference. It's not going to be fast. it may take months. Just give it a real chance. The very least thing that you will get is a better understanding of how DPI effects your hand and your play.

Edit: I forgot to add that a couple months ago I got a Steelseries QCK+ mouse pad. Wow... It's good... Lol. Think about your playing surface too, as you get better. K. I'm done, I promise. XD
thelewa
By the gods, WHAT IS THAT?
G0r

thelewa wrote:

By the gods, WHAT IS THAT?
Rofl, Lewa. XD I get carried away. Hehe.
Milkshake
it's huge

G0r wrote:

Wow... I wake up to find that this thread became a monster while I was asleep. XD

Anyway, I read what everyone is saying, and aside from thinking it's super cool that everyone is taking this so seriously for you (which I understand, since you genuinely look like you could be a good player with more time and proper settings), I have something that I want to share. This is my story of learning to play Osu!.

I personally began playing Osu with a crappy mouse that I could barely control. I played hard, and I got to probably somewhere around your skill level, maybe a little better. I finally got a Deathadder gaming mouse, because it became apparent to me that I was spending so much time on this game that I obviously wanted to take it to the next level with some more precise tools. I started with that mouse. When I first began with it, I knew that the common knowledge was that low DPI is better, but somehow every time that I tried to set my DPI to 800, which is the common DPI that most pros use, I felt like it was impossible to play... so I started experimenting with setting it higher. I went up, up, up, until I was using 2000 DPI, and each time I went up I felt like I was playing better, and gaining control over my mouse. This was, in fact, an illusion. What I was gaining was more movement for less effort. Since my muscles weren't honed enough to handle some of the fast movements that I needed to play insane maps, I was feeling like I was playing better because my small efforts were being rewarded with dramatic movement and speed. This, however, made me terribly inaccurate, and my aim was not very good. I was still improving, though! I was steadily getting better and better from long hours of practice and fun. However, as I improved, and as my muscles got better, I started to see the error of my ways... I felt that it was taking so much muscle control and strain to control my mouse that sometimes I was sure I'd develop carpal tunnel eventually. It became impossible to tense my muscles enough to play the maps that I wanted to play. That is when I realized that I had to drop my DPI. I was at a skill level that was high enough that I could physically feel the need for it. I slowly started moving my DPI down. I went down, down, down, and every time I did it I felt like I was getting worse at the game, because my mouse felt harder and harder to move the way that I wanted to move it. At this point in time I was using something like 700 DPI. But then something cool happened... I started playing better... As I practiced more with lower DPI, my muscles began to understand what they needed to do with it, and I got better so quickly that I could feel the improvement every day. I got so good that I actually surpassed my previous skill level that I had when I was using 2000 DPI. I surpassed it by miles. At that point I noticed, however, that I was still feeling just a little off. I felt like I was still straining my hand, but now it was because I felt that getting to the very top and bottom of the screen was difficult for me. I finally decided that I wanted to go up to a nice rounded 800 DPI. I made that change, and I immediately felt better. It didn't feel like I was straining to do anything, and I didn't feel like it was too easy on my muscles either. It was just right for me. I've sometimes thought about going lower again, but the fact is that I probably never will, because now I am probably five times better than I ever was when I was using 700 DPI, and I might even be ten times better than I was with 2000 DPI. I can safely say that for the moment I have no plans to ever change from 800 until it becomes impossible for me to improve further at that setting.

Long story short, it took me a few months to get down to 700 DPI. It took me maybe one month to get back up to 800 and surpass my previous skill when I was on 700. Keep ramping it down, and play until you feel the difference. It's not going to be fast. it may take months. Just give it a real chance. The very least thing that you will get is a better understanding of how DPI effects your hand and your play.

Edit: I forgot to add that a couple months ago I got a Steelseries QCK+ mouse pad. Wow... It's good... Lol. Think about your playing surface too, as you get better. K. I'm done, I promise. XD

i searched for tl;dr line but THERE'S NO TL;DR
xsrsbsns
Use plain backgrounds. I personally use grey.
thelewa

xsrsbsns wrote:

No.

NO.

People won't be able to delete or change the BG in like a few months anyway so it's better to use the dim option than to shoot yourself in the leg by getting used to playing with no BGs
xsrsbsns

thelewa wrote:

it's better to use the dim option
Fair enough, to TS: do this.
CXu
Have fun, that's the best way for improvement.
[CSGA]Ar3sgice
Go to edit mode and change normal/hard diff name to insane
silmarilen

Raging Bull wrote:

Well I suck at insanes now compared to before but if you can, try playing some val maps. They're pretty fun and quite challenging.
he barely learned to swim and you're telling him to jump into a whirlpool
please, this person is having trouble with insanes, dont tell him to play maps that 90% of the people cant even play.
G0r

silmarilen wrote:

Raging Bull wrote:

please, this person is having trouble with insanes, dont tell him to play maps that 90% of the people cant even play.
I had this reaction too.
Wishy

thelewa wrote:

xsrsbsns wrote:

No.

NO.

People won't be able to delete or change the BG in like a few months anyway so it's better to use the dim option than to shoot yourself in the leg by getting used to playing with no BGs
I'm guesssing when they do that 99% of good/decent players gonna quit. xd
lolcubes
Don't really see why honestly. I used to delete a BG sometimes because some maps just have a too detailed background which is horribly distracting for me, but with the new dim feature you can dim it by so much that you barely even notice that there is a background in the first place.
kriers

CXu wrote:

Have fun, that's the best way for improvement.
Try forever to beat ths guy (FL not included, because impossibru) and you will get good at anything! /o/
Wishy

lolcubes wrote:

Don't really see why honestly. I used to delete a BG sometimes because some maps just have a too detailed background which is horribly distracting for me, but with the new dim feature you can dim it by so much that you barely even notice that there is a background in the first place.
Many players use custom BGs (grey, etc), and then again many more use a PLAIN black backgrounds, this game will need a background toggle, hope peppy adds it. :(
thelewa
Wishy have you even tried the dim option? I used to delete EVERY BG I could find, I played for like a year without BGs. The dim feature is so good that it's the same as having no BG (well not the same but playing feels like the same because I can concentrate on the circles instead of the BG). I can even play HR with it.
Wishy
Yes I did, but deleting it is still better. Plus I play some maps on a grey backgrounds because of retarded hit colors.
thelewa
The combo colours problem will be solved in the next build edit: I read wrong, anyway there's going to be a colourblind mode that changes the combo colours into something that contrasts with the BG, at least I read peppy say that in Feature Requests

there's literally no justification to deleting BGs anymore
kriers
Deleting BGs was SOOO 2011 :V
Wishy

thelewa wrote:

The combo colours problem will be solved in the next build edit: I read wrong, anyway there's going to be a colourblind mode that changes the combo colours into something that contrasts with the BG, at least I read peppy say that in Feature Requests

there's literally no justification to deleting BGs anymore
As I said, no BG still feels better.
CXu
Nope, because black bg is boooring :V
Fai-Chii
Some Flash on BG make me dizzing :(
Raging Bull

silmarilen wrote:

Raging Bull wrote:

I'm not telling him to jump to the insane difficulty, but maps made by val. Maybe I should have been more specific.
D33d
Personally, I wouldn't recommend val maps to anybody. Just practice with enjoyable hard difficulties until they're perfect. Try playing normal/hard with mods as well.

Also, get used to a lower DPI setting and learn to move your arm more. It's more steady and more ergonomic. I use a Logitech G9x with an ID Grip at 300dpi. It makes it harder to twitch with jumps, but I don't play maps with senseless jumps and it's actually easier to control my mouse when I hit jumps. I'm not a great player at all, but I can still play with some degree of competence.

Also, on a slightly unrelated note, I honestly think that anything that makes the background less distracting should be housed within a difficulty reduction mod, because they make a map easier. I want to see excellent players manage to SS maps as they were originally intended.
hinamizawan
I always delete the BG, osu! should even have a No-SB and No-BG download option.
thelewa

makkura wrote:

I always delete the BG, osu! should even have a No-SB and No-BG download option.
lolno

you're silly
show more