forum

pp: new ranking system

posted
Total Posts
show more
peppy
I'm not releasing such details, apart from saying it is "fair". If you can't accept that then -> [door]
Wishy
I'm just asking about a case like that, where I'm sorry but it's way too clear that Cookiezi's score is even harder than HR+HD SS meaning it should be worth way more than some HD SS. If you really think SiLviA's score is worth more than Cookie's there well... then your system will fail to judge player's "performances".

Don't edit my posts you can just answer them by clicking quote.
Topic Starter
kriers

peppy wrote:

That said, I don't entirely disagree with such a statement (which is why I said it). If you can't play DT accurately then don't. Accuracy > All (and nothin' you say can change my mind on that one).
You have my full support for your view on accuracy
_Angel
So, for good perfomance I have to stop skilling up, and i need just to play every single map with hd over9000 times until got SS?

BlazingFX
No just get good, even with bad accuracy, then come back and fix it once you're good
Topic Starter
kriers

_Angel wrote:

So, for good perfomance I have to stop skilling up, and i need just to play every single map with hd over9000 times until got SS?
Stop skilling up? I don't get it.
JappyBabes

kriers wrote:

_Angel wrote:

Stop skilling up? I don't get it.
I'd assume not playing maps with difficult mods because SS is worth more.
Ohrami
DoubleTime reduces the timing window for hitting a 300 by 1.5x. DoubleTime also makes the player play 1.5x as fast on top of this. Because of this, people typically aren't as accurate as with Hidden, which is basically just an alternate approach circle. Accuracy is rewarded just fine in this game. Score needs to be the main focus of this ranking system because of the reasons I listed on page 58.
peppy
Here's a little suggestion guys: rather than listening to these preachers, go improve your scores and watch your pp increase. Don't examine too closely because I guarantee that is counter-productive. I know how this game works; I know the flaws of the score system and I know how to solve them. This is my solution.
Topic Starter
kriers
I'd like to know, though. Is this an act to revert player's focus away from DT spam and back on to SS ranking again?
BlazingFX
Well if you're good at DT like Black Sheep or something, works the same!
thelewa
This is a rhythm game. People tend to forget that simple thing for some reason.

So yeah, accuracy should be considered more than it is right now, so I'm glad about this.
dNextGen
so basically SS no-mod is worth more than DT,right ?

peppy
so basically no, you are misunderstanding everything.
GladiOol
dNextGen go sleep, this system is awesome.

I love you peppy, though I do not love you for not making me #1 in it.
YodaSnipe
^i lol'd
_Angel

dNextGen wrote:

so basically SS no-mod is worth more than DT,right ?

Basically, if you have been breaking your fingers while trying to pass insane with DT, and finally have passed map with 93% you are noob,
But if you have passed this map with hd, or even without mods, with SS mark - you are pro.
peppy
Incorrect. Speculation is okay, but stop assuming you know how the calculation is done. It will only confuse people.

And due to that, I'm unlinking this thread from the performance ranking page. Farewell~.
Hanyuu
So do you guys only want to know how pp works and play for it? Its a new ranking (or judgement) system alot of people wished for and now we have it and you are going crazy about it lol.
Why dont you just keep playing as you used to before, its not like this would change your playstyle or anything. peppy allready said it is fair and favors skills so...
Drafura

peppy wrote:

Accuracy > All (and nothin' you say can change my mind on that one).
Not trying to change your mind but is this true for CtB ?

I mean if you can't stand the speed on standard DT but still FC the map and get a poor acc I understand you're not totally rewarded, but I don't think Accu on CtB have to worth same...
aRtii-

ragelewa wrote:

So yeah, accuracy should be considered more than it is right now, so I'm glad about this.
you're forgetting about the grid http://osu.ppy.sh/b/87570
Wishy

ragelewa wrote:

Following fast rhythms is harder than following slow rhythms. With your reasoning lewa if you just mapped some [Easy] and put OD 10, what result do you think you'll get? Think about it, this game is about aim and accuracy, if you want some accuracy game only go play Taiko on relax.

peppy wrote:

Here's a little suggestion guys: rather than listening to these preachers, go improve your scores and watch your pp increase. Don't examine too closely because I guarantee that is counter-productive. I know how this game works; I know the flaws of the score system and I know how to solve them. This is my solution.
Your problem was, is and probably will ever be that you don't play the game. Getting SS HD is easier than DT HD / HR HD 94~96%.

If you don't want to explain how this works then I guess this could be farmed if we knew how it works, right? :P
Salvage
@peppy: What if i take a break of like 3 months or so from the game and lose a LOT of pp points, then come back, will i lose all the good scores points i did in the past? will all those good scores be lost and i'll have to do points in another way? .. i find that kind of odd, i mean comming back should restore the points you had before, after ceirtan weeks imo.

also i agree with lewa and kriers on this, i love that one ^__^, rythim and accuracy > all,

haters gonna hate and potatoes gonna potato
YodaSnipe
Iono about all the complicated stuff and I'm not gonna make assumptions but, I had an SSHD on a map that I DT HDed and went up pp :/

and my accuracy on that map was like 96 or something.
Soly
As long as the new accuracy focal point affects PP and not the actual score you get for the map I see no problem. So people going for DT+HD records still get #1 on a map but they wouldn't get as much PP as someone who got SS and HD and is rank #30 on that same map. This gives mouse only players a chance to strut their stuff in terms of skill measurement, mainly because competing against a tablet player mouse only you stand no chance whatsoever and mouse only requires alot of skill, this evens the playing field a bit.

Or maybe I got it wrong..this new system is a little confusing.
Wishy
It's the same as what Metro wanted to do/did at IDL, if you're good you gonna get back your points by playing like you used to do. :P

@Salvage.
ReVeNg3r
and what about FL+HD?
maal
this is still donkey dick
Soly

ReVeNg3r wrote:

and what about FL+HD?
I don't know, I'm just playing around with ideas. I'd assume accuracy is still more important than anything. FL would just mainly contribute to score rather than PP or something. IDK lol.
YodaSnipe
Soly totally just started a mouse is harder than tablet debate.
Mesita
i think people are getting this wrong. Maybe SSHD gets some more "points" than DTHD, but maybe this "bonus points" are multiplied on some factor by the score or position(ranking) u get on the map, so after all math is done ... DTHD still gets u a little more pp than SSHD. I might be wrong or not, but we won't know till peppy wants we to know his pp calculation algorithm. Untill that, we can only speculate
JappyBabes
Some what surprised that 'JappyBabes achieved rank #43 on Misato Aki - Sayonara Kimi no Koe [Insane] (osu!)' got barely any PP for me, considering that it's a fairly popular map.

Mesita wrote:

Untill that, we can only speculate
This.
Soly

YodaSnipe wrote:

Soly totally just started a mouse is harder than tablet debate.
No, I just feel that good mouse players shouldn't fade into obscurity. And yeah, it is harder. The fact that you think it isn't degrades good mouse players.
ReVeNg3r

Soly wrote:

I don't know, I'm just playing around with ideas. I'd assume accuracy is still more important than anything. FL would just mainly contribute to score rather than PP or something. IDK lol.
and what when someone can fc a really insane map with low acc? still is acc more important ?
YodaSnipe

Soly wrote:

No, I just feel that good mouse players shouldn't fade into obscurity. And yeah, it is harder. The fact that you think it isn't degrades good mouse players.
quite the contrary. I have the utmost respect for mouse players. silvia, and kriers, and silentwings are three of my favourite osu! players... sooo... yeah?
Mesita

ReVeNg3r wrote:

Soly wrote:

and what when someone can fc a really insane map with low acc? still is acc more important ?
omg, ofc yes, a higher acc will mean a higher ranking on the said map--> higher ranking and higher acc --> more pp.
Salvage

Soly wrote:

As long as the new accuracy focal point affects PP and not the actual score you get for the map I see no problem. So people going for DT+HD records still get #1 on a map but they wouldn't get as much PP as someone who got SS and HD and is rank #30 on that same map. This gives mouse only players a chance to strut their stuff in terms of skill measurement, mainly because competing against a tablet player mouse only you stand no chance whatsoever and mouse only requires alot of skill, this evens the playing field a bit.

Or maybe I got it wrong..this new system is a little confusing.

Yes, you got it wrong.

accuracy matters but not to that extreme

YodaSnipe wrote:

Soly wrote:

quite the contrary. I have the utmost respect for mouse players. silvia, and kriers, and silentwings are three of my favourite osu! players... sooo... yeah?

WHAT ABOUT GLADI, DISRESPECTTTTTTTTTT
YodaSnipe
I said three of my favourites. ofc Gladi is my all-time favourite. I just didn't wanna make the rest look bad naturally
ReVeNg3r

Salvage wrote:

accuracy matters but not to that extreme
^^
RaneFire
Hate me if you like, I'm just gonna say some noob shit:

I'm not against the Double Time mod... I am against players who play tap/x for the sole reason of DT'ing high BPM. It's speed with 2 hands which they don't have with 1 hand.

I've tried a lot of play-styles and I gotta say tap/x is pretty darn unstable. I respect the players who get good accuracy with tap/x, but I don't think 94% is high enough, 97/98% is more respectable.
show more