forum

Rate the Mapping Technique - Nominations

posted
Total Posts
show more
Lilac

Xgor wrote:

Edit:
Dunno what to call this one (Half cutting sliders or something...)
Falcom Sound Team J.D.K. - The Fate of The Fairies [ignore's Hard]
Salia - Trust[Hard]
Larto uses them too. In fact, I'm guilty of using them too in my remaps. (Offline "Border of Death" and "Banned Forever".)

So let's not name those sliders after users please.
NoHitter
Current Nomination List:
47) Slider-End Overlaps? Half-Cutting Sliders? kiou Sliders? (better name suggestion?)
48) Endpoint Slider Jumps
49) Differential Stacks

Techniques that Need More Ranked Examples by Different Mappers:
50) Step-Too-Far's
51) Spider Sliders
52) Krisom Cris-Crosses

If there are any objections to the current list, please do so in the thread.
Krisom

NoHItter wrote:

Current Nomination List:
47) Slider-End Overlaps? Half-Cutting Sliders? kiou Sliders? (better name suggestion?)
End-Cut Sliders? End-Switching Sliders? The essence of this ones is that the direction switches at the end of the first slider, switching to the (aprox) 90º direction (If (1) is vertical (2) will be horizontal, if (1) is horizontal (2) will be vertical, and so on), doing an underlap at the first slider's endpoint (imo). Uhm, I dunno... Maybe End-90º Sliders?
Yeah sound horrible I know.

NoHItter wrote:

52) Krisom Cris-Crosses
I am pretty sure I saw one ranked map (not mine) with this. Maybe it was one of my guest diffs? Or maybe it just was a Pending...
...^_^" my memory sucks gomen
RandomJibberish
Krisom Criss-Crosses should totally just be shortened to Krisom-Krosses

Also aaargh I'm sure I saw them in another map but forgot which one
Verdisphena
Technique Name: Krisom Criss-Crosses (Krisom-Krosses)
More examples:
Shimizu Kaori - Mo, Mousou Machine[Insane]
Crush 40 - Sonic Heroes[Insane]
Hatsune Miku - Clover Club[Insane]

;)
m980

Verdisphena wrote:

Technique Name: Krisom Criss-Crosses (Krisom-Krosses)
More examples:
blahblahblah

;)

m980 wrote:

Also people, please post maps by two DIFFERENT USERS, this isn't "rate the style".
K
NatsumeRin
Comp - Gensou no Satellite [Insane] by Shinxyn

i really like it but hard to have a chance to use it in my own map... often fills in too much beats, meh.
Krisom

NatsumeRin wrote:

i really like it but hard to have a chance to use it in my own map... often fills in too much beats, meh.
That's because you map all the 1/2 beats Natsume dear =w=
</jk>
Also yeah I forgot that map has one too :o <3~
Lybydose
err does this count?

If so, you can add COOL&CREATE - Rapid Ensemble [Lunatic] to maps that use it.
Gonzvlo
Xgor
Let's add new ones instead of more crosses!

Spiral Slider

EastNewSound - Lucid Dream[Strong Power] 03:18:213 (1)
Yoko Ishida - paraparaMAX I(At the end of the first song) Oldest use of that as far as I know

A slider that goes in a spiral.
Can both go start from the middle and from the outer point and can have repeat arrows.
Krisom
I think I have one or two of those on Miku Miku Bacteria...

*checks*

Oh god my sliders were so horrible before, Oh well it was my first ranked beatmap so ~
Pic here

Hatsune Miku - Beware of Mikumiku Bacteria [Non-Stop] And [Normal]
maay
Plug Out has a juicy one:
NoHitter
I'm still trying to figure out a good name for the end-cutter sliders.

Edit: End-Cutter Sliders it is.
pieguyn
Compressed Streams

Those streams that are only 2 or 3 level 3 grids apart (or considerably small compared to the rest of the map). It's used in just about every map using streams.

Examples:

Hommarju feat. Latte - masterpiece

EastNewSound - Hana wa Gensou no Hate ni
Sure

pieguy1372 wrote:

Compressed Streams

Those streams that are only 2 or 3 level 3 grids apart (or considerably small compared to the rest of the map). It's used in just about every map using streams.
This one?

Silver Forest - The Doll Maker of Bucuresti [Lunatic]

pieguyn
Yes, that type of stream.
Sakura
I thought those were called Anti-Jumps?
Lybydose
Those are absolutely nothing like anti jumps
NoHitter
It's more of the spacing suddenly decreases
Lilac
Double Spinners

Self-explanatory from the title. A technique where you use two spinners in a row, usually to make a hitsound for the next spinner without the use of a circle or pre-spinner note. (There are ranked maps which use 3 in a row but are very rare)

The common usage of this technique is either before a break or near the end of a song.

Dragonforce - Fury of the Storm by lesjuh [Expert] - This is one of the rare triple ones.

Pendulum - Watercolour by Larto [Insane]

Alex C. feat. Yasmin K. - Angel of Darkness (Nightcore Mix) [Lily's Hard] - Example where a break or the end of the song isnt after the technique

NoHitter
Rukario

Lilac wrote:

(There are ranked maps which use 3 in a row but are very rare)
Oh hey I have one of these rare cases in my maps.

Gigi D'Agostino - L'Amour Toujours by Rukarioman [Hard
mm201
A special shout-out goes to Ready Steady Go in Ouendan1.

Also these are the ideal places for spinner combo hax.
Lilac
From memory...didn't Ready Steady Go have 4 spinners in a row?

This map has 4 spinners in a row as well.

Luvdic
Nominating: tieff's double beat jump - Call them whatever you guys want.

The main idea of this is: group of 2 circles separated with a larger spacing than the spacing between the two circles in the group, and generally are placed almost parallel, and each group has a new combo.

Amane - BOOZEHOUND - Difficulty made by Lesjuh, at 01:18:555 -

07th Expansion - Worldenddominator - Hard, made by tieff at 02:54:080

SapphireGhost
Nomination: Stream With a Note Under It
Description: A stream (usually 5-9 notes) that ends, then has a 1/2 to 1 beat pause, and then has another note under the last note and can cause combo-breaking.

Krisom
Nominating: Chorus-Spacing
· This technique consists on slightly increasing spacing during the Chorus to give it a more epic feeling. In later versions of this technique, it also slightly increases sliderspeed.

Maps that use this technique:
(Most Kioukiou maps...)
Toyosaki Aki - Apron Days By kioukiou
Crush 40 - Sonic Heroes By Krisom
Marina & The Diamonds - Oh No! By Larto

Sure

SapphireGhost wrote:

Nomination: Stream With a Note Under It
Description: A stream (usually 5-9 notes) that ends, then has a 1/2 to 1 beat pause, and then has another note under the last note and can cause combo-breaking.
You can find them in almost of Mystearica's maps.
Louis Cyphre
Nominations with Not Enough Ranked Examples:
54. Step-Too-Fars
55. Spider Sliders
More examples:

Demetori - Solar Sect of Mystic Wisdom ~Nuclear Fusion
Difficulty: Atomic
very high velocity + high bpm. (current 2.4 SV, 175 bpm x1.5 section)

And another not so "bright" example:
Maximum The Hormone - What's Up People?
Difficulty: Lucifer
Very high slider velocity + high bpm (Current: SV 2.7, BPM 244 (The end of the song))

It's important to make each slider like spider leg. That's why this^ is bad example.

DJ Sharpnel - StrangeProgramm
Difficulty: HappyMix
Standart SV + high bpm (Current: 215 BPM, 3.4 SV (2x section)

I can try to find more :/
Sure
Spider has 8 legs.
Insect legs slider instead? XD
Louis Cyphre
4 legs are too much, i can't shove them all on play field. So osu! spiders have 3 x 2 legs xD
NoHitter
Sorry guys I haven't been able to post techniques for a while, been very busy lately.
Garven

Krisom wrote:

Nominating: Chorus-Spacing
· This technique consists on slightly increasing spacing during the Chorus to give it a more epic feeling. In later versions of this technique, it also slightly increases sliderspeed.

Maps that use this technique:
(Most Kioukiou maps...)
Toyosaki Aki - Apron Days By kioukiou
Crush 40 - Sonic Heroes By Krisom
Marina & The Diamonds - Oh No! By Larto

Sometimes I find it more appropriate to actually slow the slider speed down during the chorus instead of speed it up. Perhaps change the wording of the description?

Ex: Hatsune Miku - Zureteiku [Garven's Hard]
narakucrimson
Err... I'm not sure if anyone has nominated this, but here I go anyway:

Curl sliders

Chayanne - Torero [Insane]

The Good Natured - Be My Animal [Rukarioman's Extreme]

Evanescence - Call Me When You're Sober [Insane]

Panic! at the Disco - The Ballad of Mona Lisa [Panic!]

Pretty self-explanatory, these are sliders that "curl up". They can be used when the music goes from higher pitches to lower ones, or vice versa.
DJNightmare
(Optional) A name for the technique (it can be an official name or one you make up)
An accurate description of the technique (or alternatively, a screenshot of the technique)
A link to atleast 2 ranked maps that have the technique. (The specific point in the map would help too)

Name: Jumping Slider Stream
Description: It consists of repeated slider streams that suddenly jump with a 1/4 beat, Jump Stream i guess... (1/3 beat is also the same)
Maps: [url=Exciting Hyper Highspeed Star]http://osu.ppy.sh/b/62589[/url] , [url=IOSYS - The Lovely, Freezing, Tomboyish Bath, Cirno's Hot Spring]http://osu.ppy.sh/s/27107[/url]
DJNightmare

DJNightmare wrote:

(Optional) A name for the technique (it can be an official name or one you make up)
An accurate description of the technique (or alternatively, a screenshot of the technique)
A link to atleast 2 ranked maps that have the technique. (The specific point in the map would help too)

Name: Jumping Slider Stream
Description: It consists of repeated slider streams that suddenly jump with a 1/4 beat, Jump Stream i guess... (1/3 beat is also the same)
Maps: DJ sharpnel - Exciting Hyper Highspeed Star , IOSYS - The Lovely, Freezing, Tomboyish Bath, Cirno's Hot Spring
HakuNoKaemi
I found I'm Using the "Step-Too-Far" Tech... will say when it get ranked :3
Niva
I'm not sure if this technique has been nominated before, but at least I should try nominating it:

Jump Pauses (I can't find any better name orz)

Description : Basically notes which separated much (~1/1 or more) on the timeline, and placed after a jump. They are placed so closely (or even stacked) so they gave a "pausing" effect. Could also be continued again with another jump.

Examples :

From what I see this is much used accompanying a dominant bass sound (:

Raging Bull
Antijumps? Looks like it to me.
show more