forum

[Rule Change] Linear Ranking System for Mapset Approval

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and
Hi everyone I want to introduce a ranking system that is more friendly to full ver songs.
I made some changes to my original post: p/4972117

Length: 30sec ~ 2:59 min:
minimum diff must be under SR 2.00
spread nicely (like current mapset rule)
>>1.9 - 3.3 - 4.6 - 5.8 - 7
(for most people, they will do like >>1.9 - 2.8 star - 3.6 - 4.8 - 5.9 - 7)

Length: 3min ~ 3:59 min:
there must be two additional diff between the lowest diff and the highest diff if the gap is too huge (require linear difficualty spread)
>>1.8 star - 3.5 star - 5.2 star - 7 star
>>1.8 star - 3.5 star - 5.2 star
>>1.8 star - 3.5 star

Length: 4min ~ 4:59 min:
there must be two additional diff no more than if the highest diff is (Require Linear Spread)
>>2.8 star - 4.8 - 7 star
>>2.8 star - 4.8

Length: >5 min
App, but if the diff is , and the song does not have a ranked or below diffs (by anyone), we need an additional or below diff
>>4.2 - 7 star
by doing so, now it is possible for 4 min songs to rank with 3 diffs instead of old rule possibly 6 diffs.
and 3 min songs can rank with 4 diffs instead of 6 diff.
Natsu
Length: 4min ~ 4:59 min:
there must be two additional diff lower than Image if the highest diff is Image (Require Linear Spread)
>>2.8 star - 4.8 - 7 star

totally disagree with that ^, taked from the other thread:

first was because score limit IIRC, second app maps become marathon that's why you need the lenght in consideration, 5 mins is already little and I believe will not be even shorter, Second we want to encourage full spreads and discourage app maps (I think), people will map and rank their love song not matter time.

You can map 1 diff for graveyard until you feels like making the whole set, you don't need to rush things, also you don't need to make the maps long songs if you dont want to make spreads >:
Sieg

Shad0w1and wrote:

more friendly to full ver songs.
so amusing

When people trying to pass their shit to the ranked status they should think about how to be more friendly to the player base. Ranking system is all about this and shouldn't be adjusted to encourage laziness or whatever you talking about.
Topic Starter
Shad0w1and

Sieg wrote:

Shad0w1and wrote:

more friendly to full ver songs.
so amusing

When people trying to pass their shit to the ranked status they should think about how to be more friendly to the player base. Ranking system is all about this and shouldn't be adjusted to encourage laziness or whatever you talking about.
If there is something called approval, I would argue why can't we have something between TV size and App.
Monstrata
I really liked the idea of an SR change depending on song length though.

How many people even know what target audience they are mapping for when they make Easies? I doubt many people even take that into consideration, yet we are required to make something below 2 stars for every mapset we want to make.

I've mapped my fair share of full version maps too. I'm aware of this "lazy mapper/map the diff for graveyard/ranking is aprivilege not a right" etc... argument that's been going on in the other thread about mp3 extension. I' hoping to steer clear of it a bit and focus more on the idea of having a higher minimum SR depending on song length.

Shadowland's original post included:

Length: 30sec ~ 2:59 min:

Length: 3min ~ 3:59 min:
minimum diff must be under SR 2.50

Which I thought was quite interesting.
abraker
At this point you guys are adjusting the SR criteria accordingly due to the broken SR system. Not there is anything wrong with that, but it would make this rule automatically faulty as soon as the SR is fixed to accommodate the imbalance you are trying to fix.
Endaris
What abraker said.
Stardiff can be meaningless when looking at difficulty spreads.
Even more so when looking at the extremes of high and low bpm.
I mapped this as one of my first set at some point(not that i really want to do something with it anymore):
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/809441&m=0
wheee, 4 diffs below 2,5*
There's also a full size of this with somewhere between 4:30 and 5min of length. You could easily map a hard diff that is completely unreasonable in terms of accessibility but still below 2,5*(in the same way, the current Advanced diff is way too hard for an actual Easy but it is tagged as such because star diff)

tl;dr:
Spreads cannot be evaluated by star difficulty. Therefore a new rule should under no circumstances be based on star difficulty.
Raiden
looks nice but SR is too broken (at least in other gamemodes than standard)

the idea of number of difficulties decreasing proportional to the duration sounds good to me tho
Stefan
If the Star Rating would be ever to 100% accurate that could be done nicely. An 1.70 Stars Easy isn't necessarily easy so I really don't know if we ever can consider this way.
Flower
My belief: we should encourage mappers to do quality Easy's.
Fact: current Easy's are still too hard for new players comparing with earlier <3 stars Normal's.
Conclusion: if we need to make a compromise, we should lower the difficulty threshold to 1.75.
ztrot
The criteria group are currently working on a solution for this proposal, there will be individual proposals for each game mode per difficultly moving forward.
Myxo
With the change of how the Ranking Criteria Subforum works from now on, topics like these are obsolete.