forum

Ranking within city limits?

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +145
Topic Starter
cruex
So I've been thinking about this for a while now and I think it would be cool if in addition to having a rank within, let's say the US, to also display what our rank is within our cities or even just a region (like Midwest or west coast etc). To be perfectly honest I just wanna know who in the area I live in is better than me. I think this would also do the community good, I would enjoy getting to know other osu players that live in the same area as I do but as of now have no way of identifying anyone near me.

Chances are though this is probably asking a lot for the development people , I assume this would probably take a lot of work... Or maybe I'm wrong, I hope I am.
XPJ38
Moved to the correct forum.
Zanfii
It could be nice if osu gets a lot more popular but atm I feel as if it'd maybe have 2 or 3 people per map at best unless you live in a very populated city.
For example I can check the country rankings and most of the maps I play don't even have a full 50 people on the rankings, the divide that by the amount of cities in said country and you can see how low the amount would be.

Also, there might be very slight security concerns if people don't want to give out the city or area they live in.
GoldenWolf
^all of the above

Especially for the last point I'm against it
buny
A lot of people also don't have the correct city detected
XVurrux
Im probably the only person in my city to play osu! (Pittsburgh, PA)
Topic Starter
cruex
Yea i see what you're all saying, since I live in one the the top populated cities in the US I guess I'm almost assuming i'd find people as apposed to less populated areas. But then we could also implement the regional identification also, that would side step people not wanted to show their specific location and narrow down to a smaller area than simply 'country'. Of course this again would probably only be something worth implementing maybe in the US since it's such a large country with many regions.
Skriggniichan
No one plays here in the bummy part of southern US. I'd be like the only person down here in MS.
Coffee Hero

cruex wrote:

probably only be something worth implementing maybe in the US since it's such a large country with many regions.
huh
Topic Starter
cruex

TSC wrote:

cruex wrote:

probably only be something worth implementing maybe in the US since it's such a large country with many regions.
huh
Oh I probably stated that poorly, I don't mean only worth doing in the US, their are other countries large enough also. Just using the US as a reference since it's were I'm from

Skriggle wrote:

No one plays here in the bummy part of southern US. I'd be like the only person down here in MS.
That would be the fun part though and my point, wouldn't it be cool to find someone from ms who does play
TheVileOne
Implement Nearby Ranking would be what you want. I don't see the point though. Access the Nearby user filter and you can friend them and use friend ranking to achieve this.
Coffee Hero

TheVileOne wrote:

Implement Nearby Ranking would be what you want.
Nearby ranking wouldn't nearly have enough people to actually work, would need to be bigger.
Dinoswarleafs
Okay, so if you're like me you live in a city where on the nearby filter you've seen a person from time to time (well like once every 5 months) and you want to really see other people in your city without you being lucky and swithcing to the nearby filter at the same time someone else is on. Well how about in rankings there just another tab with the top 100 in your city:

I'm not an artist:

Oinari-sama
Threads merged. Feel free to continue the discussions.

This is another possibility: t/43261
Dinoswarleafs

Oinari-sama wrote:

Threads merged. Feel free to continue the discussions.

This is another possibility: t/43261
whoops, sorry
winber1
i'd use this solely for the purposes of finding players who are actually near me rather than actually caring about their score
Vuelo Eluko

winber1 wrote:

i'd use this solely for the purposes of finding players who are actually near me rather than actually caring about their score
this would be a good reason to have it
Dinoswarleafs

winber1 wrote:

Exactly
xmyste
It's 2020 now and the game is plenty large enough to add this feature. Alot of people also underestimate how large cities are. If it was set to suburb then we would have a major issue, however if it is done by city i think we should be fine.