forum

World map functionality within osu!

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +128
Topic Starter
Jarby
17:56 <Jarby> : It would be cool if you could zoom in on the world map and have a collection of avatars/user panels for the
17:56 <Jarby> : country.
17:56 <Odaril> : fuck yes
17:57 <Odaril> : go feature request
17:57 <Jarby> : Okay.

That's about it, I guess. Makes it easier to track people down too.
Shiro
Support. The only thing to know is the maximum possible zoom.
xsrsbsns
Support.
Galkan
Do we really need that?
deadbeat
rather a list of users in the area
personne3000
That would be cool, but I wouldn't put that within osu !, on the website would be enough. I would prefer to keep osu ! as lightweight as possible, especially when it comes to this kind of "cool but not really useful" features.
James2250
I first expected it when I heard about the world map option
But it isn't too important at the moment and would be very low priority, so half support
Derekku
Pretty much what James said. :p
Claudia_old
+support

because honestly, right now it has no purpose.

question: if this were to be implemented and you've set it to not show your town, other people still wouldn't be able to see your location, correct? however, you can still view other's.
Lilac
Within osu!: No.

On the website: Yes.

Blergh, I've seen it done before on websites. It's like, when you go to the map, you can zoom in and see what people are there and stuff. It doesn't show if they're online or not, it's just something to show where users are located as such.

I dunno, half asleep here.
mm201
Oh greaaat idea; let's just rewrite Google Maps within osu! Totally worth it.
LuigiHann

MetalMario201 wrote:

Oh greaaat idea; let's just rewrite Google Maps within osu! Totally worth it.
Let's make a scrolling multifunction globe-map that can be used for both the user world map and for story mode
mm201
Let's not. And that wasn't how I was going to approach story mode either. :P
Lilac
Heh-heh.

Story mode.
OzzyOzrock
This sounds great! Then I can see all of the people that play in Africa even better!
SovietIndia
Support! I was just thinking about this earlier.
Kitsunemimi
This actually sounds really cool but.... How on earth are we gonna fit all those avatars or user panels into every city/location within the space? I mean, unless you zoom in really closely, it might be really hard to see all the people in one area right? Also, wouldn't it add that much more lag on top of how much it already does lag? Perhaps at close zooms, the tons of dots won't need to be drawn, but the zooming in or moving around will be sure to lag. Right now, I can make from 15-30FPS with that thing open... so I dunno. Otherwise, this would be a good idea to implement some time eventually.
Vish024
Not necessary. The world map is there to display the density and locations of players in different regions of the world. Adding this sort of feature would certainly result in lag (like mine doesn't lag enough). There are also privacy issues.
Zelos

Lilac wrote:

Within osu!: No.

On the website: Yes.

Blergh, I've seen it done before on websites. It's like, when you go to the map, you can zoom in and see what people are there and stuff. It doesn't show if they're online or not, it's just something to show where users are located as such.

I dunno, half asleep here.
I agree more with this idea here ^^^.

Not to much of a point to have an actual map of users in game.

Thats why we have !where
Repflez
Here's how I think the feature if it gets implemented in the game:

User clicks a dot, 5 or 6 userpanels appear floating around the dot (Friends have priority in this and are shown first), then the user can click the user panel and the user options menu appears and can be interacted as normal.

Filter by friends only and only the dots that are from friends are shown and can be interacted as above.

Otherwise the function on the web can work.
docchisuki
support
XinCrin
Great idea . .

Support , totally
Tshemmp
This sounds pretty cool. But some people don't share their city location, what about them? How would you place the panels on a huge country like russia?
Oinari-sama

Tshemmp wrote:

This sounds pretty cool. But some people don't share their city location, what about them? How would you place the panels on a huge country like russia?
According to peppy, the "Nearby" Filter already displays those who doesn't share their city location. I guess this info wasn't available at the time OP was made.

To get around the problem for cities with huge player base, what about a compromise like this: when a dot is clicked,
  1. Up to 5 players will be displayed for the given location, followed by a "More" button which opens a full list in browser
  2. Players in your Friends list (at this location) will show up top of the list
  3. Top ranked players (at this location) will occupy the remainder of the list
Of course this is assuming that the display of such info is possible in the first place. Need confirmation from the devs.
Primula_old
Would be a nice feature even though it's not all that useful.
But it allows us display information that is already available in a more user friendly format.
Oinari-sama
You mean "stalker friendly"