forum

Level Importance

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +61
Topic Starter
Igor
Hi, well, actually the level that you can get in osu, doesn't affect you in any way... I propose give more significance to the level in osu. How?
The idea is unlock stuff for a certain mount of level you get. Example.

Level 10: New Mod (Something like hard rock or hidden)
Level 20: Unlock a "Medal" (Like the achievs)
Level 50: Taiko Unlocked (Example only)
Level 100: Support for 2 days (Example only)

The purpose of this is encourage to the players to play, specially to that players that can't pay for support!... I mean, there's no goal... Only become better, maybe. :D
Kliptick
Seems fine to me, But that Taiko at lvl 50, dude no! Never!
asd
Supporter should be limited to the people that pay to actually support osu!. The mod and achievement unlock is a good idea. Unlocking Taiko with level seems like a bad idea to me because some people only play Taiko and no other game mode.
Topic Starter
Igor
Yes, it can be a bad idea this think about taiko, but it was only an example.
jesse1412
Or we could just remove levels completely because they confuse newer players.
Marcin
like regular #polish newbie discussion:
<Noob> OMG I'VE 15 LVL AM I GOOD ENOUGH?!
Yes please.
boat
Levels mean no more but also no less than say pp rank and accuracy. Every metric is completely useless, all they grant you is e-peen.

Don't remove levels, they are cute.
warwolfz
Stays like this now is the best option dont make peppy doing useless update, deleting level? people wont be proovocated to play
giving free supporter? dafuq buy with your money ;)
Shohei Ohtani

warwolfz wrote:

Stays like this now is the best option dont make peppy doing useless update, deleting level? people wont be proovocated to play
giving free supporter? dafuq buy with your money ;)
Wat.

Anyways, it'd be nice if there could be something with level

Every time people say "xxx isn't important!", I'm just like "Why have it, then?"

So like it'd be better if something could come up from it. Maybe certain achievements for hitting certain levels? Or like a miniscule prize or something.

2 day supporter is like what like why even
Aoko
I agree with this. Well, except for the lv.50 Taiko thing, but yeah. It was an example.
Based from the ideas of the previous posts, I also agree that when you hit certain levels, it's a good time to get an achievement.
Level achievements, to be precise. But ofc the problem lies on who does the design. Anyone up for it?
Oinari-sama
I actually think that "2 day supporter" is a cute idea, it just needs to be executed differently.

Peppy gave out free osu direct during Christmas last year and I think that was a brilliant way to show people what supporters are getting all the time. I wonder how many people took up supporter tag after that (I guess only peppy/staff will know).

The "2 day supporter" price should come a lot earlier, but not too early in order to give players time to get used to how osu "normally" works. They will get more appreciation of the supporter features when they unlock it at, say, Level 50. imo the gift should hit between Level 30-50 for max benefit.

For Level as high as 100 I think an achievement medal is more suitable (eg "Rhythm Incarnate")...
Ephemeral
the supporter trial thing is not a terrible idea, tbh.
TheVileOne
If this were implemented I can imagine that the user would be notified when a particular level is reached.

Eph indirectly pointed out a concern that I have with this idea. I don't like the thought of taking abilities away from the player until they play enough of a gamemode. The supporter idea is good, but the rest of the ideas are plain bad and there needs to be more than one thing to unlock. What should be unlocked that isn't an existing gameplay mechanic?
Jacqli
How about:
- Level XX: Unlocked Normal diff on a song
- Level YY : Unlocked Hard diff
- Level ZZ : Unlocked Insane diff
- Level 100 : Unlocked Approved map diff

Why?
It's to evade multi accounting. So if there's someone who tried to multi Accounting it'll be useless, since they only could play easy diff.

But...
I don't know how to use this feature while multiplaying.
Marcin
The problem with unlocking diffs would be - how to determine how hard is a diff? This cannot be done through checking name (what about custom names?), and star difficulty makes for ex. https://osu.ppy.sh/b/134302 normal as Inasne.
CXu
lvl 100 free lifetime supporter because we've supported osu! by playing so much yeeeeh.

On another note though, level achievements would be okay (basically the same as combo and playcount achievements), with a free supporter thing for x days at lvl 50 and/or 75 or smth.
Tshemmp
No unlocking diffs please. Why would you have to farm easy maps to get enough score if you want to play hard maps? Makes no sense and would be frustrating. But this supporter trial thing sounds nice indeed.
markesudes
I think it's not a good idea except maybe for the "Support for 2 days" on level XX.
Maybe an achievement for level 10/20/50/100, is a bit better.
Oinari-sama
I agree that Game Mode/Difficulty should not be tied to Level. It'll make more sense to treat Levels as a milestone achievements (eg playcount like CXu pointed out).

Someone can come up with new medal names at each milestones (+extra reward aka "2 days supporter" @Lv50). If that's too troublesome, I reckon the existing forum titles (excl. special titles) are "rhythm enough" to be used as medal names, with Rhythm Incarnate being Lv100 and beyond. I forgot how many forum titles are there and what they're called so someone else will have to fill in that info =.=
TouchFluffyTail
As much as I love watching my EXP bar pointlessly go up (I really do, I'm a whore for number progression) I can safely say that tying unlocking things to level ups would be the worst thing ever. Just look at any other game to realize this. (Oh boy I sure do love having to play 400 times to unlock 7k mode and 500 times to unlock 8k mode in DJMax Trilogy!)

I don't think achievements would make much sense either, I mean your level is already shown pretty prominently on your stats. It's not like your playcount or your highest combo.

Gaining supporter for × amount of days could be cool, since I think one of the best ways to get someone wanting supporter is to give them a live demo. (see: osu anniversary when everyone got access to direct for a day) The problem though is how arbitrary leveling is until you get into the mid/upper 90s. And generally by the time you're level 100 you're either already a supporter, have been a supporter, or are completely uninterested in becoming one.

Really though I'm totally fine with just leaving levels exactly as they are. :o
show more