forum

Nearby countries ranking

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +233
Topic Starter
boat
I do find the "Country ranking" to be a great addition and it does what it is supposed to, but there is this issue when it comes to us living in smaller countries with far fewer players. Since for instance Sweden has merely a handful of active players there is very little, and sometimes even nothing at all to compare to. Since the idea behind it is to raise competitively within the circles that don't aim for global top spots, how about adding a new category which lists scores from both your and your nearby countries, as for instance scores from Sweden together with Denmark, Norway and Finnland, and Germany with the Netherlands and Belgium e.t.c

This would clearly make this sort of function far more useful than it currently is for the countries with not as many users, and I can't come up with anything that would make this a major issue.
peppy
Maybe someone could make a list of which countries should be grouped into regions where necessary, and I can change country ranking to regional ranking.
theowest
well we're already grouped together as a forum and in-game channel, having Scandinavia as a region grouping would be great.
VoidnOwO
:)
Topic Starter
boat
The idea was mainly Scandinavia + Finnland

Maybe the minor balkan countries (Bulgaria, Croatia, Serbia, Romania, Belarus, Slovakia) could go together, as they also got somewhat few active users

I'm not good with Geography, but I will ask around to try and get some input on this.
theowest

BRBP wrote:

Please include Finland in your Scandinavian region ;___;
Because technically we do belong in it, and there's really not enough finnish scores to find any use of this system as it is now.
I would prefer it to be just North Germanic countries, but to satisfy all on this, you should be able to pick any combination of countries you want to see, in the options maybe.
Raging Bull
I guess I'm alone in all this =w=. Although I suppose it would be nice to go under US?

Edit: For Guam
VoidnOwO
theowest
It's consistent with our #skandinavian channel in-game and our own Skandinavien sub-forum. We already know each other, you have your own language specific community.

but as I said, why not be able to pick whatever countries you want, at least just one country. I hope this feature wouldn't suggest to replace any country with multiple ones.
Dolphin
Blast the WHOLE skandinavien with my amezen skillz :oops:
peppy
I agree to grouping countries which have so few players the country rankings don't hit top 50s. This helps reduce the load of these lookups, actually. A lot. Plus it makes sense and makes it more competitive.
VoidnOwO
Topic Starter
boat
No need to overreact, both of you. I agree with that Finland fits better in with Scandinavia than with Russia. I don't find the argument of consistency to be enough to leave them out of a feature like this. Both parts got the same issue after all, and you can't say that a tiny detail like this will actually matter.
theowest

BRBP wrote:

I honestly don't know anymore, but I think replacing is a lot better.
I sure hope not.

What I mean with the consistency is that many of us are already friends with people from our neighbouring north Germanic country. Finnish ranks are just as relevant to many of us as Portuguese ones.

This shouldn't be defined by region, but let players pick which culture they belong to, which friends they are closest to, not force us to be with people we don't know or want to know. This "one country" ranking must not be replaced with multiple countries, that's a terrible idea. A nearby countries filter is a much better idea, but personally I think it would be best for all to have a Custom countries filter. I'm sure MillhioreF would want this as he lives in America but want to be back in Norway again with his friends.
Saten
I agree with theo with just having the North Germanic countries. And it's not only theo who wants it like that.
It's not that complicated really. We already have our Skandinavien sub-forum which includes the North Germanic countries.
I agree with theowest. The point in giving us a country ranking is too compete with the people that we talk a lot with and that we have a lot in common with, like speaking almost the same language and such. That will be scandinavia on its own. And not so much the fins. (sorry lonely finnish people ;w; )
VoidnOwO
Topic Starter
boat

BRBP wrote:

No, it's not. Why keep one country ranking that doesn't have enough scores to fill the top 50 for a map? That's what this thread is about.
Not really. For everyone to be satisfied I'd rather have an additional filter for "nearby countries", too. At least that's what the request is.
theowest
I don't see a problem with that tbh, it's only a bigger problem on other game modes and for less played maps. It's great if you want to know if you have the best rank in your country, smaller lists are easier to keep a track of.

Now if these are really too small, I don't have a problem moving in with Norway and Denmark, but I would never want to see Finnish ranks. We don't share the same community or in-game chat. You guys have a lot more professional players that us and that would just ruin the chance for many of us to feel good. Your language is more related to the Estonian than our language, why not unite with them?

I'm just going to create my own feature request about picking your own countries to filter: t/124964/

edit:

boat wrote:

BRBP wrote:

No, it's not. Why keep one country ranking that doesn't have enough scores to fill the top 50 for a map? That's what this thread is about.
Not really. For everyone to be satisfied I'd rather have an additional filter for "nearby countries", too. At least that's what the request is.
I agree!
VoidnOwO
show more