-GN
don't unrank :o
Kaguya Hourain
All of my yes!
Oracle
woohoo!
Irreversible
Hey skystar, iyasine and oracle,

After getting a lot of opinions, I decided to take this out of qualified for now, mainly because of iyasine's Insane and the storyboard (which is quite nice after all)

[General]

Try to get rid off the huge SB load.. it sometimes even reaches 8.0 (01:14:289 - to 01:17:001 - )

The spread between Hard / Insane is really questionable....

[iyasine's Insane]

The rhythm

The rhythm in the first part is more of a guessing than actual gameplay. I'm talking about the 1/16, which themselves really seem unconsistent. Some of them are longer, some of them are short, and sometimes you didn't use 1/16 after all (which generally is ok, variation reasons probably) Even after some plays it's really really tricky not to combo break, and that isn't really appropriate for the not highest diff. I testplayed the Extra as well, and had way less combo breaks.

The Slowdowns

That's not part of the unranking reason, but I'd still want you to take a closer look at it. Even with the NCing which should help to read it better, I think a lot of movement gets dropped at parts like 00:35:136 (1) - , which is quite sad. Maybe additional color haxing would help, but personally, I'd just use another placement or lessen the SV drop itself.

The kiai is really enjoyable, but please take a closer look at the first part and maybe get rid off the 1/16 completely.

[Oracle's Hard]

00:55:984 (2) - 01:00:730 (1) - 01:01:407 (2) - 01:11:577 (1) - 01:16:323 (1) - You should work on these slidershapes (and more). They contain cool ideas, but they're not really done properly, and you could make them way more neater. On some, you can see a quite big edge, on others, the curve isn't that good, etc.

01:23:441 (1) - Stretch it a little, and maybe use it more consistent, since these sounds can be found really often.

[Ethereal]

01:15:899 (2,1,2,1,2) - Well, even if it fits the music, you just have to spam through? That's quite boring, and should be avoided, you should really find another solution for that.
01:01:916 (4) - blanket
01:27:001 (1,1,2) - This plays super tricky, I enjoyed your map really much but that one bothers me a lot, the flow change, the sv change, how much it's hidden, there's certainly a better spot for 01:27:509 (2) - maybe more on the bottom?

If you need further help with the map, just ask me, I generally like the mapset a lot, and there was certainly put a lot of effort in there. See you!
Illkryn
How can the spread between hard and insane be questionable when there's bigger ones currently in qualified?

unranks for difficulty spread are seriously the dumbest things as its so inconsistent
Winnie
Welp, things happen :cry: Still a god damn amazing song from my favorite people
Irreversible

Illkryn wrote:

How can the spread between hard and insane be questionable when there's bigger ones currently in qualified?

unranks for difficulty spread are seriously the dumbest things as its so inconsistent
If you were able to read properly, you'd realize that the unrank was not because of the spread.
Illkryn

Irreversible wrote:

Illkryn wrote:

If you were able to read properly, you'd realize that the unrank was not because of the spread.
I am aware, I should have specified previous ones for that reason are dumb and pointing it out as questionable was pointless as there is bigger spreads going through qualified.
11t
Keep in mind that the SB load shown in the editor is not the same as the actual SB load in-game.

In-game, SB elements which appear off-screen are clipped, and are not rendered by the sprite engine. However, this does not happen in the editor; things which would otherwise appear off-screen during normal play are displayed in the editor and this can dramatically increase the editor's displayed SB load. As a result, SB load shown in the editor is always greater than the true SB load during a playthrough.

As a general rule, never check a maps' SB load using the editor's SB load display. Instead, check the SB load by pressing F5 to test the map. This provides a more accurate reading of the true SB load that players will experience.

tl;dr just because the editor shows 8.0x SB load doesn't mean that the actual SB load in-game is 8.0x.

Also, it's my understanding that keeping SB load below 5.0x is not longer a steadfast rule in the ranking criteria. I have frequently broken 5.0x several times in ranked storyboards (EOS, okaeri, etc.) and haven't had BATs even mention it. I'm no BAT, though, so it's probably not my place to be talking about ranking criteria like this.

EDIT: Apparently the SB load difference has been fixed by Damnae in the test build; not sure if this affects the public release yet.
Zero__wind
some perosnal stuff
SB load seems not really ridiculous, of course it'd be better if it could be turned lower though

Oracle's Hard
01:38:696 - why is the break dragged? I don't really think it's nice

iyasine's Insane
the 1/16 sliders are hell

Ethereal
01:27:509 (2) - this is totally fine imo. it's easily read at my first-time testplay. and the flow is nothing odd, just a simple right and left, nothing different from 01:23:950 (2,3,1) -

I'm pretty interested in the below btw

Irreversible wrote:

I testplayed the Extra as well, and had way less combo breaks.
Kaguya Hourain

Irreversible wrote:

[iyasine's Insane]
Even after some plays it's really really tricky not to combo break, and that isn't really appropriate for the not highest diff. I testplayed the Extra as well, and had way less combo breaks.
If this is really the reason why you unqualified the Insane difficulty, I suggest you requalify right now. Combo breaking is part of the game. If you can't do it on first try, you will do it on the second one. If not, it will happen on the third one.

I see there are plenty more problems that I overlooked when checking the map myself, so there are those <:

Sad to see this go, and sad HW got IS already :(
Nyxa
Haha but then you can rank anything right after it's uploaded.
Yeah, combo breaking is part of the game, but that doesn't mean that it's enjoyable to play a map that nearly forces you to combo break. On top of that, the rhythms in the Insane are just weird in my opinion. It wasn't half as enjoyable as the Extra, and I have more difficulty playing the Insane than I do the Extra, though I can feel that it's not because of the map's physical difficulty at all.

Which means that there are reading/spacing/rhythm issues that need to be addressed. I think the disqualification was justified.
Topic Starter
Skystar
hi guys, here we can stop talking about the disqualiciation, ALREADY.

i've had a discussion with Irre and iyasine about the stuff and finally a consensus has been reached, iyasine agreed to change his diff and Irre said he'd be fine once those 1/16s in the Insane gone.

now iyasine is remapping some parts of the Insane, please no more irrelevant posts and just wait for it so we can get this map back soon, thanks.
Kinomi

Amamiya Yuko wrote:

i've had a discussion with Irre and iyasine about the stuff and finally a consensus has been reached, iyasine agreed to change his diff and Irre said he'd be fine once those 1/16s in the Insane gone.

now iyasine is remapping some parts of the Insane, please no more irrelevant posts and just wait for it so we can get this map back soon, thanks.
eatv
Illkryn
after playing it I didn't find what he was talking about difficult at all lol...
Oracle

Amamiya Yuko wrote:

Illkryn you might want to keep the thread clean and see how things go. thank you~
Charles445
THIS STORYBOARD
THAT'S AWESOME
Good use of the scripting language

Anyway I'm here to explain the situation of the 1/16 and why it's such a problem.

Basically the game has a few different ways it resets your combo counter (a full combo break).
They are as follows...

1. Failing to hit a circle.
2. Failing to start a slider.
3. Failing to spin a spinner enough before it finishes.
4. Failing to complete a slider tick
5. Failing to complete a slider's repeat.

The fifth one is the problem here, failing to complete a repeat.
1/16 sliders are so very fast, that often times the slider has already hit a repeat before the player has clicked on it.
Even though the player did not miss the start of the slider, they DID miss the repeat, causing a combo-break.

This means that if you hit a 1/16 slider later than usual, it is very likely that you are going to break.

For the sake of convenience, let's assume that you can click on a slider... oh, 100 ms before and after you should, and it'll complete properly.
Your hitwindow here is something like 100 before, 100 after.

However, if a slider length is shorter than that hitwindow, it changes.
In this map, 1/16 has a length of 22 ms, so the real hitwindow is something like 100 before, 22 after.

This means that these short sliders are easier to hit if you click earlier than you normally would.

Because of this glitch, 1/16 sliders are extremely easy to break on unfairly, which is why it's usually not a good idea to use them.

Sliders that are above 40 ms long are usually unnoticeable. When you get down to 30 and 20 ms, then you really start to notice the unfair breaks.

So yeah, my recommendation is to change the 1/16 to something longer, like 1/12 (28 ms) or 1/8 (43 ms). It might not sound exactly the way you want but it'll be a ton easier to play.
Infeh
Very beautiful artwork on Sb!
And enjoyable to play.
great map! :)
Good Work! (*^w^)
Topic Starter
Skystar
#charlessavetheworld
Thanks for very detailed and nice explanation, Charles, once again!

Hello guys, so I, alacat and iyasine were talking about the Insane on Skype yesterday and we ended up fixing all the 1/16s to be a compromise. (Sidenote: it only took me 2 hours to update the SB following the changes! ONLY 2 HOURS!)
Especially thanks to alacat for being an interpreter, that really helped a lot!

Now the issues pointed out in Irre's post are all addressed:
  1. 1/16s in Insane are gone.
  2. SB Load is okay according to 11t's post, that if you check the SB Load in test mode, it barely touches above 5.0x, which is an acceptable number, I believe.
  3. The point for Ethereal diff: well, I've talked with Irre about this too, and he agreed that I could keep it as-is since there's barely a better solution there, and since it's a highest diff, it's not that unacceptable.
Updated all the changes.
Kaguya Hourain
Gooooooooo! :3
Koiyuki
coming, plz wait, I will edit post after modding
a new post instead
Irreversible
great! thanks charles for a better explanation.
Xgor
So I heard there was some discussions about the SB so I had to check in on it to make sure it's good to go.

[Images]
24270240_p3.jpg All the dot images, 1.png, flare.jpg ,s.png and white.png is unused in the SB right now. Please remove them.

Ring.png and shine.png has some minor unused transparency. Nothing big but it would be nice if you cropped it out.

Great SB. Juust some leftover files that's not needed!
Topic Starter
Skystar
GODDAMNIT

thanks Xgor, those aren't unused, they're used in the .osb file but it somehow got deleted in the previous updates (idk), now it's back! thanks so much for your reminding!
iyasine
Thanks for mod & Advice Irre , Zero , Charles :)

From now on I will be careful enough about slider xD
Koiyuki
  1. Just some complaints.
  2. My personal suggestions.
  3. Highly recommended.
  4. Unrankable, you have to fix it.

[General]
  1. I dont recommend to overuse kiai time in all diffs, consider to remove below:
    02:31:577 -
    02:32:255 -
    02:42:424 -
    02:43:102 -
    02:53:272 -
    02:53:950 -
    03:01:407 -
    03:02:763 -
    03:03:441 -

[Easy]
  1. remove these useless timing sections: 00:11:916 -
  2. 02:24:119 (3) - whistle with soft addition?
  3. 02:26:831 (3) - ^
  4. 02:29:543 (3) - ^
  5. 02:34:967 (3) - ^
  6. 02:37:679 (3) - ^
  7. 02:59:035 (2) -

[Normal]
  1. remove these useless timing sections: 00:10:560 - 00:11:916 -
  2. same whistle suggestion in Easy diff.

[Oracle's Hard]
  1. remove these useless timing sections: 00:11:916 -
  2. 00:22:763 (1) - for symmetry, move this circle to 272,152?
  3. 02:25:730 - for consistency, add a note?
  4. 02:42:001 - ^

[iyasine's Insane]
  1. Raise od to 7.5?
  2. 00:01:090 - for safe, snap this to 1/4 or 1/8.
  3. 01:15:645 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1) - i played this twice and feel the ds a little big. According to the song, this part appears relatively quiter than other parts, so can you shorten some ds and change this 01:16:492 (2,3,4,5,6) - into repeat sliders. The suggestion just comes from my feeling after playing.

This diff plays really fun.

[Ethereal]
  1. remove these useless timing sections: 02:00:391 - 03:05:475 - 03:08:018 - 03:09:543 - 03:17:509 -
  2. 00:42:933 (4,1) - the ds plays tricky, players may read this as 1/4. and this with the following patterns can cause combo break or missing tails of slider very easy, so i recommend you to shorten 00:42:933 (4) - for a repeat.
  3. 00:53:780 (3,1) - ^

call me back after done.
iyasine

Minakami Yuki wrote:

1. Just some complaints.
  2. My personal suggestions.
  3. Highly recommended.
  4. Unrankable, you have to fix it.

[iyasine's Insane]
  1. Raise od to 7.5? ok!
  2. 00:01:090 - for safe, snap this to 1/4 or 1/8. nice
  3. 01:15:645 (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,1) - i played this twice and feel the ds a little big. According to the song, this part appears relatively quiter than other parts, so can you shorten some ds and change this 01:16:492 (2,3,4,5,6) - into repeat sliders. The suggestion just comes from my feeling after playing. i see fixed!

This diff plays really fun. Thanks!

call me back after done.
Thanks for modding~ yuki :)
http://puu.sh/dgVCD/8c864acfde.rar
Topic Starter
Skystar
fixed everything in my diffs, updated
Lust
Call me after Minakami Yuki finishes rechecking (lol /late).
Oracle
@M-chan
all fixed except 02:42:001 -
was making a transistion into a new part so...

thanks for the helpful mod!
Koiyuki
Ok let's have another try.

Rebubbled!
TicClick
hi
even after the update, it provides very choppy experience at 01:14:289 ~ 01:16:323 - I can feel osu! skipping frames in both editor, test AND play modes, and short sliders are not the case; mind investigating?
Topic Starter
Skystar

TicClick wrote:

hi
even after the update, it provides very choppy experience at 01:14:289 ~ 01:16:323 - I can feel osu! skipping frames in both editor, test AND play modes, and short sliders are not the case; mind investigating?
fixed
DeletedUser_1574070
sry for ninja'ing but i didn't meant to, Lust.

!quote (reference of unrank. the things are on here.)
p/3546527
Sylith
oh my
Gamu
god
show more