forum

STD Difficulty Spread just for PP

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DrLou
(My opinion)
So ive been a mania player for year now. Most mania maps have Easy, Normal, Hard and Insane. Good difficulties for diffrent levels of Skill. But when i play standard i see mapsets with 1 Normal, 1 Hard and then fucking 11 Insane or Expert Diffs. WHY??? why would you make/request 11 Insane Diffs? Those are (to me) clearly just PP maps. If you think "Well some people cant play that kind of pattern or cant do that Jump", then TRAIN that stuff. It makes no sense if you just play maps with a diff with your favorite pattern. So if a map has one Insane/Expert diff that you cant play the pattern, then just train it until you can! belive in yourself and dont search fo something Easy. (I did the same thing in mania)

Im not a BN or a STD mapper so tell me if i got something wrong.
Endaris
If 11 different people want to map an Insane, it would require all of them to map a full spread if they tried to rank their Insane seperately.
While I agree that some sets become overly bloated and redundant to a degree, I believe that in many cases, multiple Insane/Extra diffs are a matter of different stylistic choices being made. For the most part, the huge amount of similar difficulties roots in stacking guest mappers, not mapping the same song 5 times as an Insane yourself.
There are also some sets with stacked Insane/Extra diffs that are pretty much impossible to farm for pp, e.g. https://osu.ppy.sh/beatmapsets/333139#osu/763946 (also a good example of GD stacking)
Nao Tomori
std is also much less limited than mania or taiko for example in terms of choices you can make to represent the song. the play field is much larger and there are many more ways to create difficulty, meaning that very very very different styles can be expressed on the same song. having these different interpretations is a cool way to create more content and also for mappers to collaborate and work together on stuff they like rather than limiting themselves to one map per difficulty level per song like in commercial games or other modes.