How to improve at osu!

posted
Total Posts
show more
LuckyStrike_old_1

enik wrote:

doubles like this? http://osu.ppy.sh/b/119375
https://osu.ppy.sh/b/72469
http://osu.ppy.sh/b/297463 - another awesome double map. Really fun to play for me. Lan diff.
Oinari-sama

jesus1412 wrote:

Oinari-sama wrote:

Well I asked because I wanna find out exactly what jesus wanna do with this thread. If it's intended for 10k+ pc players then there should be a mention in the OP, plus a 1 paragraph long general guidance for lesser experienced players.

Cause a lot of those "help! I'm stuck threads" made in the last few months came from players under 5k pc.
If we can get a list of different difficulty tier maps I would happily put them in the OP.
Cool... I'll post a few easier training maps later.

EDIT: Here're some easier maps to cater for newer players. Map difficulty in ascending order (my personal opinion) within each category. A lot of these maps have attributes from another skill category but I've assigned them under a single category for convenience's sake. I'll leave the branding to jesus lol

Streams:
Kozato snow - Rengetsu Ouka [Yuki YukI]145bpm
Sound Holic - Love-Colored Dream [Dream] 128bpm mix of 2x 3x 5x and short streams. Dunno where to put this so I'll just leave it under Streams.

Jumps:
Hatsune Miku - Dou Iu Koto Nano!? [Insane?] Various jump patterns with some fast singles. The rest are straight forward.
DJ Fresh - Gold Dust [Insane] Almost the entire map is jumping.

Triplets:
Hyakkoku Hajime - Pinch Daisuki! [Pinch] 136bpm slow 3x, resist the temptation to single tap them! "Speed devils" who gets random 100 during 3x may find this "speed bump" practice useful.
Silver Forest - Mahoushoujyo to Kuroneko no Rondo [DJPop's Lunatic] 140bpm, tons of 3x at the beginning&end.
Nobuo Uematsu - Final Fantasy VI Battle Theme [Kefka] 167bpm 3x.
Tsubaki - Kyun Kyun Tamaran Inaba tan![Inaba!]

EDIT2: Added 1 more 3x map
nya10
I wonder no one use this map as a jump practice, it is great for beginner jump training I think.
u's - Natsuiro Egao de 1, 2 Jump! (blissfulyoshi) (Jump!)
Yonji - Waruku Nai Ne (Reiji-RJ map) is also good for jump (put DT on there)
Kraster - Space Rainbow
Senya - Kodokutsuki (Add DT to that map)
Most of Fycho maps is good for jump training too I think (Although it is not too hard if compared with there on the list)

For fast singles, I found this map
EZFG - Hurting for a very hurtful pain (tutuhaha) (Dance)
Hashimoto Miyuki - Fairly Life (mjw5150) (Insane)
Last Note. - Setsuna Trip (theramdans) (Confusing) -unranked map-
Nishino Kana - Day 7 (+DT)
Early learner for fast singles: Nico Nico Douga - Courage to tell a lie (Mafiamaster)

Triplets:
Pendulum - The Vulture (You may want to add DT) , there's one part in which is triplets 8 times. (Want to find better maps anyway ~)
Maybe I will update, I just have some quick search, sorry to be not so helpful ~

I've found some other good maps, but the post is just made base on my memory of the maps.
mad Lou
I'm a bit surprised. You write that these are beatmaps for beginners, but I expected at least hard or normal maps. I know there are different difficulty levels for five star maps, but as a beginner I'm barely able to play hard maps. I don't know if I'm too early in this thread and i should first learn how to beat insane maps before i practice anything other. Or if you still want to post even easier maps. I don't know it probably make no sense to practice normal or hard maps.
Almost

mad Lou wrote:

I'm a bit surprised. You write that these are beatmaps for beginners, but I expected at least hard or normal maps. I know there are different difficulty levels for five star maps, but as a beginner I'm barely able to play hard maps. I don't know if I'm too early in this thread and i should first learn how to beat insane maps before i practice anything other. Or if you still want to post even easier maps. I don't know it probably make no sense to practice normal or hard maps.
If you find hards difficult, then learning to play a specific item is a bit too advanced for you.
Oinari-sama

mad Lou wrote:

lol I did not say that those maps are for "beginners." If you look at my other post you'll see that they're intended for "players under 5k pc."

They're for lesser experienced players who are stuck on Hard/EasyInsane and finding themselves not progressing at all. While the maps listed in the OP are more suited for players with 10k+ pc.

EDIT: Wait... I may have posted in a haste. Was your comment for me?
nya10
Ah, I mean that maps that I posted is for people that can do well in "easy insane" and want to move further, because I found that the maps that is posted in the thread somewhat maybe too difficult for some people, and even some of them I think is made for pro players. I'm just offering another "easier" difficulty of the maps. Sorry not to state it clearly though

And if you want to see your suitable maps for training, just PM me :) , although it won't be too accurate :)
mad Lou
EDIT: Wait... I may have posted in a haste. Was your comment for me?
I think I just misunderstood your postings, it was also this post:

I wonder no one use this map as a jump practice, it is great for beginner jump training I think.
u's - Natsuiro Egao de 1, 2 Jump! (blissfulyoshi) (Jump!)
where I thought, he means for beginner Jumps training, but he probably means the first training for jumps itself.

I'm not quite sure where this thread wants to go, because you start to try to improve yourself right from the beginning. So i can't see for how advanced player these tips are meant. I know there is also another thread for beginner.http://osu.ppy.sh/forum/t/5456 But people there say it's outdated, I think it's because the maps there are old and dusty. ;)

If you find hards difficult, then learning to play a specific item is a bit too advanced for you.
Are you sure? I think even easy/normal/hard maps have some kind of patterns which should lead to play insanes finally. For example this Beatmap Rei Kondoh - The Sun Rises (hard) was the first map with streams which I was able to play. I don't think this is the best map to learn streams because there are too few streams in it.

I think we agree, that beginner should start to learn with easy/normal maps. I often see people in multi player with less experience than me, which are always playing with their friends, where I suspect, that they never saw something different than insanes.
Almost

mad Lou wrote:

Are you sure? I think even easy/normal/hard maps have some kind of patterns which should lead to play insanes finally. For example this Beatmap Rei Kondoh - The Sun Rises (hard) was the first map with streams which I was able to play. I don't think this is the best map to learn streams because there are too few streams in it.

I think we agree, that beginner should start to learn with easy/normal maps. I often see people in multi player with less experience than me, which are always playing with their friends, where I suspect, that they never saw something different than insanes.
I don't know about patterns in easy/normal maps I don't think there are any but I don't play them but there are few hard maps that have patterns or streams in them. Before you can play insanes, you can easily get to the level of insanes by playing random hards and not worrying about streaming or learning certain patterns and such since those are really only needed for people who want to FC a song.
nya10
Updated Squares map :)
Early learner:
Sum 41 - The Hell Song (Natteke) (Hard)

Other maps:
Hatsune Miku - Story of My Wife (KBT) (Warota)
Rtnario - Guitar vs Piano 18X (Practice) (See what called squares diff)
RaneFire
I converted my practice lists to google docs. I also added some of the maps in this thread.
I'll just leave it here. Wouldn't mind hearing what you guys think either, but these are lists I made for myself, so it may not be appropriate for everyone.

From my profile:
My Practice Lists
I have been assembling map lists since I started playing which serve as good practice. I spent quite a lot of time putting them together in total, so maybe other people will find them useful. The list is by no means complete and I will continue to maintain it as I always have, the contributions to these lists are also not entirely my own.

Jumps | Segments | Single-Tap | Streams
Rawn

RaneFire wrote:

I converted my practice lists to google docs. I also added some of the maps in this thread.
I'll just leave it here. Wouldn't mind hearing what you guys think either, but these are lists I made for myself, so it may not be appropriate for everyone.

From my profile:
My Practice Lists
I have been assembling map lists since I started playing which serve as good practice. I spent quite a lot of time putting them together in total, so maybe other people will find them useful. The list is by no means complete and I will continue to maintain it as I always have, the contributions to these lists are also not entirely my own.

Jumps | Segments | Single-Tap | Streams
What is Anti Jump ?
RaneFire

Rawn wrote:

What is Anti Jump ?
This one is hard to explain. Noone really refers to them by this name anymore because nearly all new maps have them these days, but I figured that it was something like this the last time I heard it mentioned..... so I just carried on thinking of it this way. The "slow down" note can be anywhere, even after/before a slider so long as there's a change in direction. You basically jump a long way to one note, then the next one is close to it, making you slow down, and the one following that note or pattern is far away again.
In a map like Amane - Desolate Night [Hard]; you follow 4 notes in a square pattern then jump to the next group of 4 notes in a square, and to the next again after that. The change in pace is referred to as an anti-jump. It basically tries to mess up your flow.

For additional clarification:
  1. Etna sliders are 1/4 sliders spaced 1/2 apart in succession (single-tappable) which may/may not require some jumping between them, depending on how they are arranged. (This is also really popular nowadays)
  2. Oibon is a jump that goes from one side of the screen to the other in 1/2 note.
Topic Starter
jesse1412
Thanks I'll add them when I get time.
Oinari-sama
Jesse after reading your commend in another thread, imo it'll help if the Threads tab is separated into 3 separate tabs:

Hardwares Discussions
Keyboard thread 1
Keyboard thread 2
Keyboard thread 3
Keyboard thread 4
Keyboard thread 5
Keyboard thread 6
Technique Discussions
Alternating vs Single tapping 1
Alternating vs Single tapping 2
Alternating vs Single tapping official news post
Tablet: Hovering vs Dragging
Skills Discussions
Accuracy
Approach rate and streams
High beats per minute/approach rate
Approach rate 10
Double time
Upping your limits
Losing stream skill
East mod and low approach rate official news post
The threads will be more clearly classified in bite size chunks.
Black Wolf159
Well, there are some steps than can serve to get better acc, manegemt and others... I have to say....
¡Thank Jesus, you save the world of osu! 8-)
I will try to learn some things you said. (It took me hours to this message)
overcota the singletap where I suck... In fact I am bad at all but I try to get better in every one of this steps...
Thanks for the tutorial and... ¡We love you Jesus!
Xho
Just stop sucking, you will improve once you do that.
phoenny
One question, how do you define reading.. ?

Knowing where to aim? do you look in the middle or at each note?

what kind of maps are the best to improve it? (if im not mistaken what i said.. so whats does reading a map exactly mean?)

edit: also people told me that my movement is holding me back, and i have no clue what they mean.. can someone tell me ,_,
Arctic
What about doubles?
Omgforz
You can't really specifically train aiming. Once you get the gist of how to move from point A to point B you should focus on reading. You basically always train aiming in a way.

You just need to get comfortable playing harder stuff and then training your consistency on it by playing lots of similar maps with 1-2 tries each day until you can fc them easily. You're the only person who knows best what maps to train your aim with, since you know exactly what you have trouble with.

One other thing I would recommend is trying to feel how your hand moves. It sounds weird but it gives you a deeper understanding of moving from A to B. If you for example then see a square you won't just stop doing things incorrectly due to a mindblock, because you already feel the motion in your hand.
phoenny
uhm.. Thats not it. my aiming is good on jumps. Just on singletaps its weird. Dunno how i could get better at this stupid shit.
Almost

phoenny wrote:

uhm.. Thats not it. my aiming is good on jumps. Just on singletaps its weird. Dunno how i could get better at this stupid shit.
Just look at everything as individual circles rather than as a group and it should become a lot easier.
Omgforz
I'm sorry, but your message of "only on singletaps its weird" seems incredibly bizarre to me. Isn't jumping just moving from note to note singletapping/alternating them? Maybe elaborate what's "weird" for you, we can't really help you if we don't know anything.

And I want to see your definition of good aiming. If it means you can consistently fc hards, then no. Get used to a lot of spacing changes, and get used to way larger distances between notes.

You will never get better at consistent aiming if all you do is play stuff which is way above your level or hards with doubletime.
Mizuno Yui
Similar thing happens to me every now and then, because I unwillingly start snapping (I believe that's what it's called) and lose track of what I'm doing :@ It's happening less frequently with practice, though.
KtkC
New poster coming from O2jam finds it interesting squares are considered so difficult, I rather like it [like it a LOT] whenever I can identify geometric shapes in beatmaps.

With streams being the worst, perhaps because the mouse-only business can really get a bit out of hand (hoho) with those.

Thanks for the maps for streams, I'll check them out (IMO identity part 4 is so unfun to play :/ )
RaneFire

KtkC wrote:

New poster coming from O2jam finds it interesting squares are considered so difficult, I rather like it [like it a LOT] whenever I can identify geometric shapes in beatmaps.

With streams being the worst, perhaps because the mouse-only business can really get a bit out of hand (hoho) with those.

Thanks for the maps for streams, I'll check them out (IMO identity part 4 is so unfun to play :/ )
Squares are difficult because of fluent aim problems... mostly for players who use a keyboard in one hand.
I can identify with most jump patterns being easier on mouse-only as I used to play it myself, but there are many more difficult things which users of a keyboard will find easier.

If you are moving your peripheral in one direction, the most deviation from that course will be caused by a force perpendicular to your current vector... or going for the next note in a square. Couple that with our more human inclination to draw curves instead and that's why reading individual notes here is encouraged, as well as snapping, to prevent you from drawing an arc in front of a note and missing it completely. Triangles and Pentagons are a lot easier because of this.

Also note that what people refer to as "squares" (and jump patterns in general) are always mapped 1/2 divisor apart on higher BPM's. Slower squares (or 1/1) don't really count, they're much easier.
phoenny

Omgforz wrote:

I'm sorry, but your message of "only on singletaps its weird" seems incredibly bizarre to me. Isn't jumping just moving from note to note singletapping/alternating them? Maybe elaborate what's "weird" for you, we can't really help you if we don't know anything.

And I want to see your definition of good aiming. If it means you can consistently fc hards, then no. Get used to a lot of spacing changes, and get used to way larger distances between notes.

You will never get better at consistent aiming if all you do is play stuff which is way above your level or hards with doubletime.

uhm, yea. I usually happens on rly close spacing singletaps, dunno once i played some hards and "hyper" diffs.. and this went better, but that wasnt bcuz of that i think so, and you are right.. i play tons of hard maps.. ar10, top50 no mod maps and so on. Should i play easy maps to get better at that? It really is annoying when singletapping, cuz every BPM feels the same.. 170, or 240 feels the same. Like im not snapping fast enough? :c
Omgforz
You need to try and snap on every singletap, even if the notes are very close to each other. If every bpm feels the same, then just try some streaming maps, and see whats your maximum. This will give you an idea of what you can and can't do.

Playing hard stuff is okay, it just depends how hard it is. To train consistency just pick a map where you think you can fc it, and play it 1-2 times a day, or whenever you want, just not 10 times in a row because that's training your memory rather than your consistency.

If you think your consistency is alright, try to achieve new heights, find maps which are a bit harder, and play every hard map on a similar level 1-2 at maximum a day. These maps are stuff which you B-rank or almost A-rank. You don't want to just pass hard stuff, you want to get consistent at it too.

But now it depends what should be harder on the map? The speed or the distance between notes? That's completely up to you, but if you want to practice long distances then go with a bpm you can easily stream and follow, which is usually 150-190, because you have a lot of time to aim between notes. If you want to train your speed at aiming and your speed in your fingers to tap, then go with a mediocre spacing which you already are consistently good at, and just have it at a higher bpm, whether you find a new map which is similar, or edit an old one to increase its bpm is, again, completely up to you.

Another thing is: don't try to practice too many things at once. Stick with an approach rate with which you are comfortable with, a bpm with which you are comfortable with, and then practice aiming. If you want to practice streaming, go with a comfortable ar and a comfortable spacing between notes. I think you get the idea.
phoenny

Omgforz wrote:

You need to try and snap on every singletap, even if the notes are very close to each other. If every bpm feels the same, then just try some streaming maps, and see whats your maximum. This will give you an idea of what you can and can't do.

Playing hard stuff is okay, it just depends how hard it is. To train consistency just pick a map where you think you can fc it, and play it 1-2 times a day, or whenever you want, just not 10 times in a row because that's training your memory rather than your consistency.

If you think your consistency is alright, try to achieve new heights, find maps which are a bit harder, and play every hard map on a similar level 1-2 at maximum a day. These maps are stuff which you B-rank or almost A-rank. You don't want to just pass hard stuff, you want to get consistent at it too.

But now it depends what should be harder on the map? The speed or the distance between notes? That's completely up to you, but if you want to practice long distances then go with a bpm you can easily stream and follow, which is usually 150-190, because you have a lot of time to aim between notes. If you want to train your speed at aiming and your speed in your fingers to tap, then go with a mediocre spacing which you already are consistently good at, and just have it at a higher bpm, whether you find a new map which is similar, or edit an old one to increase its bpm is, again, completely up to you.

Another thing is: don't try to practice too many things at once. Stick with an approach rate with which you are comfortable with, a bpm with which you are comfortable with, and then practice aiming. If you want to practice streaming, go with a comfortable ar and a comfortable spacing between notes. I think you get the idea.
Well that pretty much covers all where im troubling, i just figured out that i could singletap so much easier with snapping but maps like osu.ppy.sh/b/238052
are insanely hard to snap. And with Cosistency training you are right, I have to practice that cuz my Performance changes a lot.. sometimes im supergood but thats rarely, but mostly meh. Do you have any maps with singletaps like this on a lower bpm or same with with a bit higher spacing? =)

Edit: I usually alternate but some maps i singletap, can i just continue Alternating as well and my snapping will improve somehow or is snapping more of a singletap thing? I mean is it different when you alternate? yea stupid question i know sorry xD
Omgforz
These kind of maps are another matter entirely. Either you need lots of speed and then it's easy to singletap and snap, or you alternate everything, which definitely increases the difficulty of snapping.

I don't have a lot of these maps, because I don't think they're a good way to practice your general osu! abilities, so your best bet is to find something similar with high bpm.
PUG_old_1

Making a collection of the different maps mentioned in this thread, makes things easy.

This guide has helped me so much, i've improved a lot thanks to the input in this thread, so thanks to Jesus and Everyone else that helped.
Mikelicious
Thanks Jesus
iderekmc
what is to snap?
Karote

iderekmc wrote:

what is to snap?
"Snapping" means stopping on each circle for a small amount of time in order to ensure that you really hit the circle. < quote taken from thelewa
http://news.ppy.sh/post/56949145760/clicking-styles
ityka
NVM stupid question
LawL LawL
I'm finding I'm running into a lot of trouble with stamina (and pain...) because I learned to play Osu by single tapping only with finger movements. I started out alternating but as things sped up on harder maps it felt awkward and I dropped it pretty quickly in favour of single taps. I find I can do maps up to ~240bpm with the way I learned to play, but on maps with streams I can't spam (generally 1/4 tick with sliders mixed in) I get murdered. Even while avoiding those maps, although I can play with both my index and middle finger equally well I'm finding it increasingly hard to pick up any more speed without literally smashing my fingers. The whole arm-movement thing to single tap feels really odd as I've never played a game that required that kind of motion on a mouse+keyboard setup, so I'm entirely used to having my hand glued to the keyboard and moving around as necessary to facilitate finger key-strokes.

Halp, what do?
Almost

LawL LawL wrote:

I'm finding I'm running into a lot of trouble with stamina (and pain...) because I learned to play Osu by single tapping only with finger movements. I started out alternating but as things sped up on harder maps it felt awkward and I dropped it pretty quickly in favour of single taps. I find I can do maps up to ~240bpm with the way I learned to play, but on maps with streams I can't spam (generally 1/4 tick with sliders mixed in) I get murdered. Even while avoiding those maps, although I can play with both my index and middle finger equally well I'm finding it increasingly hard to pick up any more speed without literally smashing my fingers. The whole arm-movement thing to single tap feels really odd as I've never played a game that required that kind of motion on a mouse+keyboard setup, so I'm entirely used to having my hand glued to the keyboard and moving around as necessary to facilitate finger key-strokes.

Halp, what do?
I do the same thing you do and I have no problems. Just play more and get used to it. If you feel pain, be sure to take a break.
DFTR_old
Hi, I'm a beginning level OSU player. I don't have a background in playing music.

I have significant difficulty w/ "Stacks" a set of hit-circles that overlap eachother.
This is touched on in first page, but everyone focusses seems to focus on streams (which I haven't reached in my maps).
I feel I've improved in accuracy w/ other aspects. But I'm not sure how to approach stacks?
I feel that I cannot see when to click the first one and then can't catch up.
I've tried to listen for audio cues and feel clueless. Am I supposed to click as fast as I can?
In first page, there's some talk about using keyboard or two fingers? Could someone expand on this? Am I supposed to left click/right click thorugh stacks?

I mainly play 1 or 2 star maps, but this lack of ability keeps me from getting 90+%/A scores.

I use mouse (Razer Abaccus set at 1800 DPI).

Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas!
Oinari-sama

DFTR wrote:

Hi, I'm a beginning level OSU player. I don't have a background in playing music.

I have significant difficulty w/ "Stacks" a set of hit-circles that overlap eachother.
This is touched on in first page, but everyone focusses seems to focus on streams (which I haven't reached in my maps).
I feel I've improved in accuracy w/ other aspects. But I'm not sure how to approach stacks?
I feel that I cannot see when to click the first one and then can't catch up.
I've tried to listen for audio cues and feel clueless. Am I supposed to click as fast as I can?
In first page, there's some talk about using keyboard or two fingers? Could someone expand on this? Am I supposed to left click/right click thorugh stacks?

I mainly play 1 or 2 star maps, but this lack of ability keeps me from getting 90+%/A scores.

I use mouse (Razer Abaccus set at 1800 DPI).

Thanks for your help and Merry Christmas!
The stacks (3x 5x and streams etc) are usually faster than other circles so you can try using both buttons (eg M1-M2-M1) to deal with them. This is also usually where some "pure mouse" players start picking up keyboard skills because they feel that it's easier to do stacks and streams with the keyboard instead.

As for reading how fast you should hit the stacks, try looking at the approach circles as "ripples on water." If the distance between each ripple is wide, then it corresponds to longer wait between each hit; if the ripples are denser (ie distance between ripples are short) then you'll need to click faster.

You'll pick up other techniques when you play more :)
-Chronopolis-
I would ask my original question, but the answer would be just to practice more, so I'll ask something different. How have your guy's experiences been with increasing mouse speed and click/tap speed. Were there points where you hit speed walls, or was it steady slow improvement? Any break through moments?
show more