forum

How would my progress compare to other players..??

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
DarrenCxoi
Hi, first post here. I'm just curious as to where i stand amongst other players; am i above average? Should i be hitting certain milestones at certain hour playtimes?? Let's just cut to the chase. my stats are:

- Mouse User
- Started playing 09/09/2019
- 2,212pp (as of 13/11/2019)
- ~ 44 hours (as of 13/11/2019)
- Top pp play: 166pp (it's one of THOSE short songs lmao)

Is this any good...??? It would be really appreciative to receive feedback from much better players from the community. Thank you!!
Vuelo Eluko
Another one?
Topic Starter
DarrenCxoi

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

Another one?

I was looking at earlier posts, but istg that i ain't sandbagging. Dead serious first account i've created. I don't really see why people find it necessary to make 2nd accounts especially on this game...???
Almost
Here's some advice for osu and life in general; don't compare yourself to other people, it's a toxic mindset to have.

If you're looking for advice to better guide you towards further and more efficient improvement to whatever goal you're looking to achieve, people here can help you with that. If you're looking to just compare epeens with others, no one is interested.
Endaris
I wouldn't compare it, easy.
Topic Starter
DarrenCxoi

Almost wrote:

Here's some advice for osu and life in general; don't compare yourself to other people, it's a toxic mindset to have.

If you're looking for advice to better guide you towards further and more efficient improvement to whatever goal you're looking to achieve, people here can help you with that. If you're looking to just compare epeens with others, no one is interested.

Gotcha on that one, thank you for your advice - a different mindset for me from now on.
Equbuxu
You are definitely gaining pp faster than I did, I took me around 150 hours to get to 2k pp. However, pp doesn't reflect skill well and because of this, there is no point in comparing them. I guess you can try playing in multi and compare yourself with other people there if you really care about that
Vuelo Eluko

GSTACK wrote:

However, pp doesn't reflect skill well

Well, that's arguable. Being underranked is possible to an extent but there's really no such thing as being overranked. Two players who play the same maps in general will only be the same pp if they are basically equal in skill. The map pool, both of farm maps and otherwise, is open to anyone. There may be different kinds of skilled players and the number doesn't compare people of differing skillsets adequately, but still... For example, if you take a tech map player, doesn't farm pp, and another tech map player who also ignores farm maps, can you honestly say player A who is getting 300+ pp scores on tech maps isn't clearly better than player B who is only getting around 200 pp scores? Both are probably underranked and could be a lot higher if they wanted to but at the end of the day a glance at their respective top ranks will tell you pretty decisively who the superior player is, even when they aren't farmers.

Maybe it's just because I was there to experience the absolute sodding shit show that was ppv1, but I feel the current system is far more indicative of skill than any that came before it. There's room for improvement, but there's no godlike players swimming around with 1k pp, and no bad players near the top of the rankings. The same could not be said during ppv1, there were far more people using their Mad Spinner Skillz to top large numbers of easy-hard diff scoreboards and abusing the old diff algorithm that took success rate into account (blue night hardest map pog???) to shoot near the top of the ranking for it to be considered even remotely a skill-based system.

Hell my boy Jesse went from like rank 5k to 200ish the day ppv2 dropped (if i recall correctly), and there was no question that rrtyui, who became #1, deserved to be there...
im flat
u shouldn't compare
but 2k pp in 44 hours with mouse yo wtf
Almost

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

Being underranked is possible to an extent but there's really no such thing as being overranked.

The fact people can be underranked means that there are people that are overranked by definition lol.

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

Two players who play the same maps in general will only be the same pp if they are basically equal in skill. The map pool, both of farm maps and otherwise, is open to anyone. There may be different kinds of skilled players and the number doesn't compare people of differing skill sets adequately, but still... For example, if you take a tech map player, doesn't farm pp, and another tech map player who also ignores farm maps, can you honestly say player A who is getting 300+ pp scores on tech maps isn't clearly better than player B who is only getting around 200 pp scores? Both are probably underranked and could be a lot higher if they wanted to but at the end of the day a glance at their respective top ranks will tell you pretty decisively who the superior player is, even when they aren't farmers.

That's not going to be true for every single skill set in the game. For example, for EZ mod players, a higher pp generally means more streams involved but FCing stream maps is a lot less impressive compared to FCing jump maps in this area. A similar sort of argument can be made for FL players.

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

Maybe it's just because I was there to experience the absolute sodding shit show that was ppv1, but I feel the current system is far more indicative of skill than any that came before it. There's room for improvement, but there's no godlike players swimming around with 1k pp, and no bad players near the top of the rankings. The same could not be said during ppv1, there were far more people using their Mad Spinner Skillz to top large numbers of easy-hard diff scoreboards and abusing the old diff algorithm that took success rate into account (blue night hardest map pog???) to shoot near the top of the ranking for it to be considered even remotely a skill-based system.

Hell my boy Jesse went from like rank 5k to 200ish the day ppv2 dropped (if i recall correctly), and there was no question that rrtyui, who became #1, deserved to be there...

ppv1 was just a joke and it wasn't very difficult to make a superior ranking system. In general though, there is absolutely no way to make a ranking system that actually defines skill objectively simply because our definition of skill is purely subjective. Everyone has their own view on what makes a skilled player in this game. No matter how you slice the cake, there will be some subset of farm maps that give more pp in relation to it's actual difficulty. In saying that though, pp is just one way of comparing yourself to other players but it's not a true representation of how good someone is simply because there are skill sets out there that aren't scored sufficiently or at all even and it's difficult to compare apples to oranges in a manner that satisfies everyone.
Vuelo Eluko

Almost wrote:

The fact people can be underranked means that there are people that are overranked by definition lol.

Among people who actually try to rank up, no one is overranked. I can't even cite things that I personally think are bullshit like double tap high bpm ezdt abuse because at the end of the day, anyone who is being surpassed by such a player can go ahead and do the same thing if they are as or more skilled than they are.
Almost

Vuelo Eluko wrote:

Almost wrote:

Among people who actually try to rank up, no one is overranked. I can't even cite things that I personally think are bullshit like double tap high bpm ezdt abuse because at the end of the day, anyone who is being surpassed by such a player can go ahead and do the same thing if they are as or more skilled than they are.

That's if we deem pp as the truest objective measure of skill which I've already mentioned it is not which was the main argument you were arguing against. pp is just a way to measure a certain skill set balance.