forum

Streaming with more keys. [invalid]

posted
Total Posts
This is a feature request. Feature requests can be voted up by supporters.
Current Priority: +19
Topic Starter
Phenomz
Just that, I'm kinda tired of having to map my X key to second C so I can stream faster and pass Mad Machine everytime I want. Same for taiko, those reverse-sliders are equal to impossible streams on taiko, a third clicking key on our keyboards, natively from osu!. Not everyone is a TTTL or a Tom94 to tap or mouseclick.
Nessuka
Would be useful to have the ability to use more keys, should allow at least 3 or 4, I know so many people who use 3/4 keys for this same reason.
Aqo
How would you place your fingers to stream with more than 2 keys on a keyboard?

pinky on S
ring on E
middle on R
index on G
thumb on Spacebar?

Chipscape DT?
deadbeat
z,x and mouse click /o/
Topic Starter
Phenomz

deadbeat wrote:

z,x and mouse click /o/

Phenomz- wrote:

Just that, I'm kinda tired of having to map my X key to second C so I can stream faster and pass Mad Machine everytime I want. Same for taiko, those reverse-sliders are equal to impossible streams on taiko, a third clicking key on our keyboards, natively from osu!. Not everyone is a TTTL or a Tom94 to tap or mouseclick.
Thought it was clear enough. Also with this cursor moves everywhere; what do you gain streaming notes you can't even reach.
deadbeat
personally i think using a 3rd keyboard key would streaming harder. so i'm not really sure about this one
Aqo

Phenomz- wrote:

Thought it was clear enough. Also with this cursor moves everywhere; what do you gain streaming notes you can't even reach.
lower your DPI and then tapping the mouse won't make you miss the circles.
Soaprman
This may have been requested before? Seems familiar, anyway.

The problem with adding this is that it opens a door to maps designed with it in mind. Is that really something anyone wants?

If your streaming isn't very fast, it's probably because you lack practice and/or technique. I sure know that's the case for me. :P
Mithos
People can stream fine using two buttons. Anymore are not needed.

plus, don't mess with the taiko controls. They are very authentic to the portable/controller versions with Taiko no Tatsujin.
winber1
This is completely stupid imo, not to be harsh or anything (ok, I probably failed trying to make this not harsh), but osu! was made for just 2 keys, and adding an extra (or more) keys really completely changes the game (and also makes a shit load of things a shit ton easier). If you reasoning to add a third key is because you aren't good enough, I honestly think you shouldn't even bother asking. It's like asking, "God, can I have a third arm so I can play piano better?" Well, if you get rid of the logical outcome of probably looking disgusting and ugly with a third arm, having a third really does help a lot for piano. It doesn't make sense, and also you will never get a third arm since you were made to only have two arms, as osu! was made for only two keys.

Maybe not the best analogy, but anyways, if you think you seriously reached your limitations and cannot even come close to streaming as well as TTTL or something, go practice other things like accuracy and jumps, and be super pro at those. But you'd be surprised at what one can accomplish if you just sit down and try. I could barely stream 200BPM before, but I have gotten much further now. I still suck at streaming, but I don't think I have reached my limitations yet and I just practice to reach up there instead of trying to find an easier way out.
Macacito
y then mouse only players would suicide themselves
Nilsso

Macacito wrote:

y then mouse only players would suicide themselves
Go sucide then.
blissfulyoshi
lol, well I denied the previous one, mostly because I never figured out how more keys made things easier.

p/1112441/hilit=more+keys

Since there seems to be more discussion this times, I'll leave it be for a while.
Tom69_old
Using more than 2 keys really yields an advantage, I can say that as a kinda experienced piano player. However as winber said it isn't really fair to allow people to use more keys than 2 now, after everyone else had to live with just 2.

Just a quick example: Bind the keyboard x/z to different keys than your mouse buttons. Even without having practice in using your ring and pinky finger one could instantly stream 300bpm+. And if one actually HAS the ability to properly use pinky and ring finger... well, fast streams become kinda trivial then.
(Even though using 3 keys would be rather strange for any any streams besides 1/3. 4 Keys should be the way to go for 1/4 streams.)

Phenomz- wrote:

Not everyone is a TTTL or a Tom94 to tap or mouseclick.
Neither is everyone Remilia Scarlet and can stream 270 just with the KB.
I didn't just come here and instantly tap/xed high BPM with 98%. Neither did TTTL. It always comes down to practice. :p
peppy
Keep in mind it is pretty simple to get around this using a software or hardware solution. From my perspective, if adding more keys yields and advantage then it is probably best to make the option available to all people, instead of those going out of their way to manipulate it.
MillhioreF
adding a 3rd key would give an advantage... you can just hold it down all the time and get an advantage with sliderstreams, never letting go too early!
gokiburi
To hear that people have been doing this anyway makes me pretty upset. Makes all the effort put into getting faster seem pointless. All the current "fast" maps would be somewhat of a joke even with a single additional key.
peppy
I'm just playing devil's advocate, not saying that people necessarily do. Even if it was done, it would be very limited due to the way keydown/ups are handled.
Tanzklaue

peppy wrote:

I'm just playing devil's advocate, not saying that people necessarily do. Even if it was done, it would be very limited due to the way keydown/ups are handled.
yeah, would be another advantage for mechanical keyboards.
also, I don't think that this is really necessary. most songs in osu don't even exceed the 200 BPM border, and if all these show offs don't lie, 200 BPM is no problem at all for any decent osu!-player.
qlum
Indeed I used to use a Belkin N52te before I started using my new mechanical keyboard in osu! and I did map my mouse keys next to the z and x in its osu! config, However I never really used it. There are also mouses with a triple click button on them so in a sense that would also be the same advantage. I also remember osu! supporting more keys a long long time ago.
show more