forum

Why is "dont retry" a good advice?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
-RD4-
hey. i started playin OSU about 3 months ago and i really improved since then (i was playing like a drunk squirrel at the beginning haha).

In these 3 months i retried beatmaps very often. Sometimes i retried a beatmaps 30 times in a row until i finished the map or until i finished the map perfectly. But yesterday ive heard for the first time about the term "consistency" and that you shouldnt retry beatmaps / play many several maps. Why is that a good advice? Should i play about 15-30 new beatmaps everyday without retrying them for a while?

thanks for answers! i really like this game btw and im happy to be here now
ZOOM-
The retry button is poison to consistency and skill gain(unless that skill gain is for speed/stamina). Consistency implies your sightreading ability is so high that you don't need to memorize anything, by retrying, to fc, except maybe once if you can't pinpoint the rhythm or need delay or whatever. It also implies that your maximum skill ceiling and average display of skill are very close together, whereas the average player has those things very far apart and need retrying to close that gap.
A benefit of this is that if you see you don't fc a map within 3 tries chances are high that you simply don't have the ability to fc that map in that day(mind block, lack of skill, whatever), whereas the average player needs to retry a bunch to reach that conclusion and so in long term, such people are wasting huge amounts of time.
AD0M1C
It will build up muscle memory that will be thrown away after you FC a map anyway. It's really pointless and can make you choke in future maps, as you'll either forget it or mess up. It's just best to not retry and click the circles that you see.
dung eater
Retrying is good, if you try to do it better. If you just try again without change then it's maybe not so good.
Endaris
Take this advice with a grain of salt.
It is a good one for new players for 2 reasons. One was already stated elaborately by ZOOM-:
There are people like this person who just kept spamming the same maps over and over. Their top play has 51 retries. Their second best play has 111 retries. Their fourth best play has 94 retries. They got less than half ranked scores than you do in a bit more effective playtime. Excessive retrying for pp or whatever practices the map rather than your gameplay, sets you up for frustration and trains your muscle memory for hitting that retry button.

The second one is that it is a great way to stay motivated and save yourself the frustration of banging your head against one specific difficulty of a map. Improvement comes so quickly in the early stages that you will find that you have massively improved on a map after one or two days of playing other maps sleep. As such an exploring playstyle with little consecutive retries will likely result in more joy while getting into the game.

There is nothing wrong with retrying in general though. In the end it comes down to what your goal in this game is.
Some people make an issue of trying to FC every single map they have ever completed and have a very low amount of A ranks in comparison to their S/SS ranks.
Others only submit plays ever if they get a SS rank on it.
Some may focus on tournaments and multiplayer matches and thus have a relatively high amount of A ranks as they rarely ever retry to turn an A into an S.
Others have goals that aren't as immediately reflected in the rank spread. Pick your poison.
Topic Starter
-RD4-
thanks to everyone.. especially to Endaris. helped me a lot! i will play many different beatmaps for the next weeks to get more experience and routine.