forum

osu!mania Mappool Analysis and Opinion

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
_underjoy
Hello, I wrote a rather lengthy thing about my perception of how mappools in osu!mania 4K should look like. It contains descriptions of chart types, mappool types (including experimental ones) as well as mappool structures.

I hope you enjoy it!

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13J3D2ZBAJHccwBQd3OyvBf8qU5PKQUbWaAG4M9ruesc/edit?usp=sharing
Bobbias
I've never heard the term Koreajack before, but I know EXACTLY what those are. SMOC files. Surprisingly fun to play too, even though I generally suck ass at jacks.

I'm honestly impressed at how much thought was put into this, especially for some of the much less common styles of maps.

I'm actually surprised how applicable most of these descriptions are to 7k as well. Most 7k patterning that isn't covered by those categories can be described as either an extension conceptually of patterns found in 4k. Chordmash is effectively an extension of something like fastjack/jumpglut/handjack type patterning, except even bigger chords, and there's no real clear distinction between slower and faster charts.

Anyway, it was an interesting read.
abraker
What are delaystreams?
Ska
ho t, the patterns part was a real nice read, some stuff I didnt know which is nice to learn, cant really say much about the mappool part since I'm not really interested in tourneys, but I can see you put lot of work into it and it appreciated, real nice job there b

abraker wrote:

What are delaystreams?

iirc it's mapping long sounds as a stream, altho im able to recognize it when I see it I honestly wouldn't be able to tell exactly what it is so dont quote me on that e

it's p common in stepmania charts tho
Bobbias
I could be wrong, but I think the delay term comes from BMS charts. If you're familiar with EOS, you should instantly recognize how the keysounds create a delay effect by being triggered so quickly, with the same sample being keysounded on multiple notes in a stream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzaCLtQZ9xw

another example of delay patterning is the synths used in this Tiro Finale chart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uerl7LXmc0o&t=1m47s

I think this is the clearest example of a delay chart though, Central Delay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcyRo89v3Q8

You can audibly hear how the sound of the keysounds sounds weird when it gets super dense, because the keysound samples are being (I think) cut off and retriggered by a later note, creating what amounts to a sort of delay effect (think echo effect. in music mixing, echo effects are referred to as delay effects).

In terms of patterning, you can see there's some diversity in the sort of streams used in each chart. Some prefer bursts of stairs, some use chordstreams, etc.

[Ska] wrote:

iirc it's mapping long sounds as a stream, altho im able to recognize it when I see it I honestly wouldn't be able to tell exactly what it is so dont quote me on that e

That would be one technique for creating dumpstreams, rather than delays.
Full Tablet
If that is the definition of delaystreams, then those aren't possible in osu!mania (the different hitsounds are added together in the same audio stream, instead of having a set amount of audio streams, each able to play only one hitsound at the same time).
Bobbias
I've got at least one keysounded delay chart, probably a couple if I go looking, so I'll check what they sound like in mania at some point (hopefully) and report back.
Agka
jesus christ dude
Topic Starter
_underjoy

Full Tablet wrote:

If that is the definition of delaystreams, then those aren't possible in osu!mania (the different hitsounds are added together in the same audio stream, instead of having a set amount of audio streams, each able to play only one hitsound at the same time).

By delaystreams I didn't precisely mean actually keysounding maps in this manner, I meant the broad type of songs which have been already made "delayish" into a mp3, which allows for justified streams. Just like the ranked Eternal Drain does.
NightNarumi
There is a typo just above 2.1.4
‘mappols’ is written instead of ‘mappools’

Also
‘and most player’s aren’t even accustomed to they proper wrist technique of doing this type of movement consistently.’
‘they’ should be changed right?

Last one
‘FadeIn on FlashLight’ in 3.3.2.
I guess that needs to be ‘or’

There are some more that I didnt point out, but I don’t think I have the time or guts to do that :p
Topic Starter
_underjoy

NightNarumi wrote:

There is a typo just above 2.1.4
‘mappols’ is written instead of ‘mappools’

Also
‘and most player’s aren’t even accustomed to they proper wrist technique of doing this type of movement consistently.’
‘they’ should be changed right?

Last one
‘FadeIn on FlashLight’ in 3.3.2.
I guess that needs to be ‘or’

There are some more that I didnt point out, but I don’t think I have the time or guts to do that :p

I can't believe you just did that