forum

pp, score and stars rating osu mania

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Neko perfect
hello everyone,

I do not know why all the things I'm going to offer you have not already been taken into account but that's what I propose (sorry google translate...) osu! mania only :

- the modes must be able to add scores (and pp) in the same way as the osu! standard, hd, dt, hr, ... all must be able to score more and therefore be able to exceed the score of 1,000,000;

- the size of the combo must vary, as for the osu! standard, the score so that a combo of 70 (for example) can not exceed a combo of 200;

- long notes must be worth 1;

- a ranking for the HR mode must see the day, since all the other modes have one;

- Finally, the OD and the HP must be able to influence the number of pp (for the latter I'm not sure that it is already the case, so I prefer to propose it).

- around me, many think the same way as me, scoring osu! the mania is poorly made and the "stars" and poorly dosed (3 * cards can, feel, 4 *

What do you think ?
Full Tablet

Neko perfect wrote:

- the modes must be able to add scores (and pp) in the same way as the osu! standard, hd, dt, hr, ... all must be able to score more and therefore be able to exceed the score of 1,000,000

HD/FL are not considered difficulty increasing mods in osu!mania, it is an option some players choose to make reading easier for them. HD/FL actually does increase score in osu!mania already, it is just that the effect is so small it is not noticeable, and it still doesn't allow you to exceed 1 million score.

DT/HT are better considered as separate maps rather than modification of the map. I think that filtering leaderboards by mods used should be available for non-supporters as well.

HR would be better if it was just a visual mod (for example, when using it, the game tells you got a 200 in a note, but the game could internally calculate the score of the note as if it was a 300), other methods are inherently unbalanced.

Neko perfect wrote:

-the size of the combo must vary, as for the osu! standard, the score so that a combo of 70 (for example) can not exceed a combo of 200;

I am not sure if I understand what you are trying to say here. A combo of 70 should be able to exceed a combo of 200 in some circumstances; for example, a sequence of 200 notes with 198 300gs and 2 misses is better than a sequence of 200 notes with 200 200s.

Neko perfect wrote:

- long notes must be worth 1;

Long notes are worth 1 regular note in terms of scoring already (they are worth 2 notes in scorev2). If you mean in terms of combo, take into account that the combo counter the game shows actually doesn't have any effect in terms of scoring in osu!mania.

Neko perfect wrote:

- a ranking for the HR mode must see the day, since all the other modes have one;

HR doesn't change the way the game is played (except for sometimes making maps easier to be played by spamming extra keys, because in scorev1 HR also shrinks the timing window for early misses), so there is not much of a need to make it ranked. If it were ranked, I think the best way to do it would be making it a visual mod only, as I mentioned earlier.

Neko perfect wrote:

- Finally, the OD and the HP must be able to influence the number of pp (for the latter I'm not sure that it is already the case, so I prefer to propose it).

OD does influence pp a little, but the influence becomes smaller the higher the star rating of the map is, to the point it becomes irrelevant at higher levels. I think the influence should be higher most of the time.

HP doesn't and shouldn't affect pp, the worth of the play is based on the score achieved, and HP does not influence score in plays that are a pass. In fact, I think the No-fail mod shouldn't give a pp penalty (though, currently the penalty acts as a band-aid solution to the fact that getting scores of just above 500k in maps with extremely high star rating would give too much pp).

Neko perfect wrote:

- around me, many think the same way as me, scoring osu! the mania is poorly made and the "stars" and poorly dosed (3 * cards can, feel, 4 *

Scoring in mania is not perfect, but you seem to think that making it more similar to standard would make it better. Actually, scoring in osu!mania is much better than scoring in osu!standard, since the score a player achieves in a beatmap is a much better indicator of the skill of the player, while the score a player achieves in a map in osu!standard varies too wildly for allowing to get a decent estimation of the skill of the player.

The Star rating algorithm giving an inaccurate estimation of the difficulty of a beatmap is a known problem, the difficulty is making a system that is more accurate.