forum

Again all about pp

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
hypercross
So, hello all, I am a new-comer to this forum - not a new player though, I have 3,500 pp points on my account.
This is my first thread, because I always feel that OSU is a straight-forward game, and there is really nothing so complicated to be worth-discussing in this official forum.

But recently this pp thing made me really confused. Always, from the time I first heard of this game, OSU has been Kept Stupidly Simple. My rank was raised by some 2,000 for no obvious reason, and what it has to do with my playing makes almost no sense.

I believe not all players are as lucky as me. Some of them dropped from 10k to 40k. The previous #9 player, Yimo_Coppola, just announced AFK in the Chinese community. The reason seems to be that after this pp revolution she(he?) dropped to #500+.

Now that I came here and learnt this new system, I still feel that it is not worth it to *replace* ranked score with pp.

First problem . The intention of the pp system seems to be to eliminate "farming" and to weigh "skill" more. But measuring skill is a difficult job.

How do you define farming in the first place ? How do you distinguish "farming", "practicing" and "learning" ?

I feel that compared to "farming", "learning" is a worse practice. By memorizing the positioning and timing you significantly reduce the difficulty of a hard map. The result is you can play hell well on your mastered maps, but you still suck elsewhere. Probably the situation is not as bad as I put it, but the low popularity and doubt around the FL mod will speak louder than me. What is the difference from "playing a map from your mind" and "playing a map from another monitor" ? Well, you probably get praised in some TV shows or your mid-terms for good memory, but should everyone accept this as part of OSU ?

The type of skills vary greatly. At least the term "skill" means different things to different people. Some people play S on Hard. Some merely pass Insane with C. You can't really put them together and say one is better than the other. The S guy probably can't make it through the Insane map, and the Insane player probably couldn't FC the Hard map. Who knows ? There won't be such a system where people can be ideally ranked by their skills.

Second problem. Is it really worth it to use "skill" as the major criteria to rank players, especially when there is already another friendly, well-understood and mature ranking system in use?

In Game Centers, there is really few situations where people playing different levels are put together and ranked - except for ranking their total scores. And every other place in the world, wherever there is a skill-based ranking system, there is some sort of regular competition to back the scores. We don't see it in OSU, and it is not necessarily favorable to everyone.

If I have to propose a solution, I'd say I'll like the following system:

1. In the in-game player display, show ranked score rank in the background with pp points aside. Currently it's pp rank in the background with ranked score aside.

This is to maintain the old gameplay experience without giving up a skill-measurement system.

2. In terms of pp calculation, host some regular tournaments to give player performance ranks. For example, there could be some maps in the Monthly Charts which have a "Tournament" tag. Players can register to participate in these tournaments, and only the scores they get from the tournament maps can affect their pp. Tournaments will define deadlines (for example, after 00:00:00 xx/xx/2012 the registered participants can't submit scores), or an active time limit (for example, after one hour from the first time a participant plays the tournament map, he can't submit scores anymore).

This is to make sure good players are able to beat others in the same map under similar conditions. Also, this can make sure people don't come up with farmable maps and get ridiculous scores.

3. Use tournament scores exclusively to define pp. For example, there can be a "Season" period to count and rank people's scores. If one doesn't care about tournaments, he will have zero pp. He doesn't care about pp in that case, so we don't have to care.

This is to make sure AFK players don't get ranked. Old scores are also meaningless. Every Season will have its own champion.

4. Use an independent pp number for each mod setting. For example, in each tournaments the mod settings are pre-defined, and players playing the same mod setting are grouped together in the registration process. pp-score multipliers are adjusted by the administration staff according to each map's real difficulty.

The pp system has a good intention, but I believe there are better ways to do the job. I thought features are supposed to be added to the game, without replacing or overshadowing existing features. Anyway, it is next to impossible to ask peppy to give up pp now, as it's already there.
JAKACHAN
The current system is probably one of the best ways to measure skill you are going to get. Although it does have it's disadvantages there is really not many other ways to measure the skill of a player accurately.

Just because people quit because they are mad they can't farm every map nomod to get top 100 doesn't mean it should be changed.

More people wanted it changed than kept the same because although this is a casual game the fact of the matter is there will always be competition between players in a game that is possible to have competition and people don't want to feel like they are being ranked in a terrible manner.

Also, I believe it has been stated before that because of the fact that this is a more casual game they do not want "Tournament" style ranking systems.
Topic Starter
hypercross

JAKANYAN wrote:

The current system is probably one of the best ways to measure skill you are going to get. Although it does have it's disadvantages there is really not many other ways to measure the skill of a player accurately.
I seriously doubt that. Especially as the formula is not public. Even the statistical data it uses is hidden for some reason. If we have to choose one method to calculate a single pp number, peppy may did a wonderful job. But there are different standards, and the ranking does not have to reflect your skill. With the original ranking system you can still use !stat to see people's pp points, but replacing it with pp only causes leisure players to panic and get confused and frustrated.

One technical detail I want to point out is the #500 threshold. It is stated that "contention" is considered in calculating one map's score, but I seriously doubt how you can distinguish "contention" from "popularity". Some maps are easy but hot. To tell whether it is really competitive to get the ranks you need other players' performances, otherwise it's pointless. Now here's the problem: if you consider other people' pp when calculating one person's pp on one map, then the calculation will be a CPU hog, because updating one person's pp will cause everyone else on the rank to update.

I guess that's where the 30 minutes update interval and the #500 threshold comes from. Otherwise the server won't be able to handle it. Peppy probably got some tweaks to keep it smooth but I am not confident about the outcome, unless I get to see the formula.
Topic Starter
hypercross

JAKANYAN wrote:

Just because people quit because they are mad they can't farm every map nomod to get top 100 doesn't mean it should be changed.

More people wanted it changed than kept the same because although this is a casual game the fact of the matter is there will always be competition between players in a game that is possible to have competition and people don't want to feel like they are being ranked in a terrible manner.

Also, I believe it has been stated before that because of the fact that this is a more casual game they do not want "Tournament" style ranking systems.
This is confusing. So, pp is online because people want competition to be praised. But tournaments are out because people don't want competition to be praised. Is that what you are saying?

My point is to make the "competition" part of the game "selectable". Some people love farming, some only worship skills. Why can't they live together ?
JAKACHAN
First off don't double post. You can edit your post instead of adding unneeded posts.

Second off Peppy has already stated that he isn't going to release the formula just in case there is something that could be more farmable than something else.

Also, how do you say that the system isn't accurate when you want the rankings to be changed back to normal score anyway. Let me make an example here Player #1 (I will not name them cause I love them) is top 10 in normal score because they've played almost every map in the game with just nomod because they can't play DT or HR. Player #2 (Me) has not played every map, but the maps he does play he plays with mods and usually scores in either top 20 or top 10. Player #2 is clearly more skilled, but Player #1 is ranked higher because of how inaccurate the system was.

Once again the majority wanted PP to be implemented because they were tired of the terribly inaccurate previous ranking system and I'm sorry to say but you can never please anyone and the best option really is to just please as many as you can.
CXu
http://osu.ppy.sh/p/playerranking

Score ranking still exists, so just keep on as usual.
Topic Starter
hypercross
Sorry didn't see the edit button.

JAKANYAN wrote:

Second off Peppy has already stated that he isn't going to release the formula just in case there is something that could be more farmable than something else.
Hmm. Interesting. I thought the "O" in OSU means open. So a developer of a free game not only wants to hide his code, but also want people to play the game in a way he desires. Well this is sort of news to me.

By the way I didn't say I want the system "back". I said pp should exist along with ranked score, but displayed as the secondary stat. The only tweak I really desire is how the information is shown. Seems trivial for a long thread, but it's important.

And I didn't say the original system is "accurate". My point is not everyone needs an accurate system which weighs sorely skills. If you ask people, if he cares, of course he prefers an accurate one - but the premise is that there has to be a system at all. PP is good if you care. Ranked is better if you don't, as it's meant to be a trivial stat. But again, it's all about how you show the information.

This is an game-design wise opinion. Not because I play and love a particular game feature. Sorry for any confusion. I am a game maker myself.

In terms of the code and the math, if peppy is not willing to be more open, then I guess I'd better shut up. Thanks for your clarification though.
Azure_Kite
I think you've got the concepts of free and Open Source mixed up.
lolcubes
To keep things in order and clean, please use the other performance points thread.