forum

Osu!mania Posture

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
ChampionEevee
Being a top 50k player, I have noticed my left wrist had been getting sore while experiencing fast 3* or 4* maps. I have given weeks to allow my wrist to recover, so I believe it might be the posture I use. The posture I use is the normal way you would type on a standard keyboard, resting my fingers on ASDFJKL; and rest both of my thumbs on the spacebar, while pressing with my left thumb. Is this the correct posture, or could it be my posture that is causing cramps during intense gameplay?

I would also like to add that my left wrist is my dominant wrist, so I use it for other things such as throwing, writing, etc. The only thing I consitently do with my left hand is writing, as I am not active in sports.
edp446
Try setting ur keyboard to a flat position or buying a flat keyboard. That worked for me and I got instant significant results.
Pinoyse
redacted
Tachyon
More hand stretches
Topic Starter
ChampionEevee
I would like to point out I am using a Corsair K55 membrane keyboard without something to rest my wrists against other than the keyboard's rest itself. Could my keyboard be the cause of it? I also tend to hit my keyboard a little on the harder side, especially during 4.5-5* maps.
Lights
When i play, I rest my index and middle fingers on the keyboard and keep the rest in the air, and for jacks i hover my hands a little higher for more leverage. I rest my elbows on the arms of my chair and hover my wrists above the desk. And in my experience, that has been the best hand positioning in terms of playing quickly and for a long time without an unreasonable amount of discomfort. Your mileage may vary though, its just a matter of experimenting with your hand positioning and posture to find something that gives you results without hurting you- and that takes time.
Topic Starter
ChampionEevee
Simple issue: my chair does not have arm rests. I'm considering switching to a softer, mechanical keyboard with O-rings and a wrist rest to force leverage. It does become fairly difficult for the time being to play these levels, and I do not have the money to purchase a new keyboard and wrist rest.

I've tried elevating my wrist without support from any object, but it does not seem to help. I think it might have to be me averagely pressing too hard on my keyboard. I've tried thinking of other ideas, but haven't found a single thing that has worked. If it helps, my wrists, in normal positioning, are lower than my actual keyboard is. My keyboard is not on a slant either.

I would absolutely hate having no solution to this issue, as I have been playing this game for a while now, and it would be very upsetting to have been told I can't advance farther than I already have.
Lights

ChampionEevee wrote:

Simple issue: my chair does not have arm rests. I'm considering switching to a softer, mechanical keyboard with O-rings and a wrist rest to force leverage. It does become fairly difficult for the time being to play these levels, and I do not have the money to purchase a new keyboard and wrist rest.

I've tried elevating my wrist without support from any object, but it does not seem to help. I think it might have to be me averagely pressing too hard on my keyboard. I've tried thinking of other ideas, but haven't found a single thing that has worked. If it helps, my wrists, in normal positioning, are lower than my actual keyboard is. My keyboard is not on a slant either.

I would definitely recommend at least trying a mechanical keyboard if it is ever possible for you to do so- beyond rhythm games, they're rather nice in general.

It sounds to me like you prefer to rest your wrists, which will ultimately strain your hands a little more than resting at the elbow and hovering your wrists. Have you tried changing your key layout? where you place your hands on your keyboard can also have an impact. if you play a layout like dfjk, try spreading the keys out further (as;' is what i personally play on, you could even go as far as, say qw[del][end] if you wanted).

Also, i will say that light taps on keys work better for both stamina and speed. (in my experience)

And lastly, consider the level of songs that you're playing. You've only been playing for several months and are playing 4.5-5 star maps according to an earlier post- you may need to allow yourself more time to build strength in your hands and wrists to be able to sustain the speeds required for the difficulty. A potential solution to your problem may be sticking to less intense maps until you've got the stamina to play them without discomfort.
Bobbias
Learning to lighten up your play will really help. I play wrist down, with my wrists physically resting on the table that my keyboard sits on (I'm not using a desk with a keyboard tray). And with proper technique, there's only small difference between wrist up or wrist down. When you press the keys hard, you tend to tense up all the muscles that move your fingers. So some of your muscles are actually fighting against each other. This tires you out faster and also slows you down a lot. If you can learn to relax your play more and not tense up, this should help. Ideally you should mostly be capped by your ability to read patterns fast enough (and by that I mean fast enough to hit them correctly).

The funny thing is that when you're capped by your ability to read, it feels a lot like being capped by finger speed, and can be difficult to recognize that is the problem (for inexperienced players. Players who've been around for a few years can often recognize whether it's finger speed or reading speed that is keeping them back).
Topic Starter
ChampionEevee

Bobbias wrote:

Learning to lighten up your play will really help. I play wrist down, with my wrists physically resting on the table that my keyboard sits on (I'm not using a desk with a keyboard tray). And with proper technique, there's only small difference between wrist up or wrist down. When you press the keys hard, you tend to tense up all the muscles that move your fingers. So some of your muscles are actually fighting against each other. This tires you out faster and also slows you down a lot. If you can learn to relax your play more and not tense up, this should help. Ideally you should mostly be capped by your ability to read patterns fast enough (and by that I mean fast enough to hit them correctly).

The funny thing is that when you're capped by your ability to read, it feels a lot like being capped by finger speed, and can be difficult to recognize that is the problem (for inexperienced players. Players who've been around for a few years can often recognize whether it's finger speed or reading speed that is keeping them back).

That might help lots, noticing that it may actually be my muscles. I may have noticed another issue as well: being left handed, I was taught at a young age to write improperly, thus making writing strain my wrists much quicker. I believe this caused one specific pattern to be much harder to do. These patterns include L, K, J, SPACE, F, D, S in that order. The strain only appears in my left wrist, so that most likely is the issue; just being left handed.

On one specific day of all-day computer testing with no writing other than a little painting, I went home and completed the fastest map I've ever done without any stress whatsoever with a great accuracy compared to my other maps played. I do feel as though I have the muscle memory, though not the day-to-day strength due to writing.

The replay to that one map can be found here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRbxlMr2U1A&t=24s

Any trills cause issues in my left wrist.