1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Development
show more
posted
posted because monstrata brought up DMCA and licensed content
posted
That's a big F to anyone who's already paid $400+ on a commission.
posted

Princess Kisses wrote:

Linada wrote:

there is zero way to know if a mapset is a commission tho, mapper just have to not tell and nobody will know
No but the can't publicly advertise their commissions thus will be getting a lot less requests
This question still ringing on my head. How is it possible to know its for commission? Should we become spy?
(Example: there is a BN/QAT live nearby, a mapper requested to rank his/her map, then a player accidentally heard & saw their agreement. Option A: is he supossed to tail the BN/QAT & the mapper? is he gonna get paid after that?
Option B: Let them be) [i might gone too far]
posted
This is very good

But I'm still clueless on how will this rules going to affect those who operates the commissions. What's the parameter used to identify a commissioned mapset? There's no solid criteria on defining a commissioned maps other than leaked transaction information. If there's nothing indicating this, parties involved would still shut their mouth up and do this discreetly. This has been brought up many times but I didn't see anyone solving this.

APPEND: Also this could be misused by users to specifically attack member involved in ranking by orchestrating a fake agreement of payment and showing it to the public in order to ban a specific staff from the team. Unless there's a prevention of this, it could happen.
posted

Narrator wrote:

That's a big F to anyone who's already paid $400+ on a commission.
No it’s a fat L
posted

Monstrata wrote:

long post
Our terms of service do and always have covered this. Please take responsibility for your own actions. There are many mappers that ask before using content from others. There are many tracks we have cleared for use which aren’t necessarily listed under Featured Artists (you’d be surprised). Saying 99% of content is “unlicenced” (if you’re just looking at FA) may be correct, but I’d argue much more has been acknowledged/approved.

As we tried to make painfully obvious in the original statement, no rules have changed in terms of how we control your uploads (for now; EU rulings may change that). We can’t change rules because we work under existing obligatory laws. Do your own research and decide how you act on this online platform, plese.
posted

bor wrote:

Its really funny osu! rules even bother to bring Featured Artists up lol. There is basically a staff run group called Mapper's Guild that gets first "dibs" on the music that osu! is allegedly buying, but isn't that demotivating for overall mappers not in that group to try and map that content?
Mapper’s Guild was a community effort from the outset. Anyone else is welcome to join or start an effort like this and we will give them suport where possible. There is nothing special about this group – they just started doing stuff and continued on a regular basis (see project loved, which is completely the same). This is how osu! works. Basically everything you see happen is done by the communtiy, not some internal team.

I’d argue against the concept of “dibs” because multiple beatmaps can of course be made for the same tracks. To us it’s giving FA release a bit more traction and showing people how the artist can be mapped. Generally mapper’s guild map like 20% at max of new releases and it doesn’t even happen every time.

Calling it elitist is a cop-out and a disservice to people lookinjg to try new things.
posted

peppy wrote:

stuff
I explained what I meant right below it, and yeah its incredibly obvious that "one can make a map of that same song" but they probably won't because of what I explained prior.

also you said:

peppy wrote:

Anyone else is welcome to join or start an effort like this
about joining, its strictly untrue, but this isn't the thread for that.
posted
Sad
posted

bor wrote:

peppy wrote:

stuff
I explained what I meant right below it, and yeah its incredibly obvious that "one can make a map of that same song" but they probably won't because of what I explained prior.

also you said:

peppy wrote:

Anyone else is welcome to join or start an effort like this
about joining, its strictly untrue, but this isn't the thread for that.
well he did say

"Anyone else is welcome to join or start an effort like this and we will give them suport where possible."

however I'm also not very keen on dibs etc for a group of mappers, why not just promote it to everyone? unless that's already the case...
posted

Liiraye wrote:

well he did say

"Anyone else is welcome to join or start an effort like this and we will give them suport where possible." I'm talking about strictly joining the mappers guild, not everyone is welcome to join it, and it is supported by staff via > giving their own channel in X discord server related to staff, badges for people in it
also its been pretty exclusive about who joins from my and many other "qualified" (via the standards they listed on their first promotion post after going public, lol supported by staff before being public xd) people's experience(s)


however I'm also not very keen on dibs etc for a group of mappers, why not just promote it to everyone? unless that's already the case... dibs is in reference to the albums being released to the Mapper's guild before anyone else can see them for FA, they end up pushing maps for ranked internally(being within the guild) before any other mapper can access the FA music.
posted
If you have a better proposal of how to have some beatmaps ready with FA releases without giving away the releases beforehand (we want to have a bit of surprise/anticipation, right?!) then please bring that up elsewhere. This thread is not for discussing how FA/other groups should work.

And if FA won't let you in why not put in the effort to make your own group? Everything starts with effort. We aren't against seeing more interesting mapping teams forming. This used to be a more commonplace thing in the past and it resulted in really creative projects.
posted
I'm all for this. A map should be made out of creativity, not through money and stuff like that
posted

Monstrata wrote:

Furthermore, the only income osu! receives is from osu!supporter which only goes to the benefit of osu!staff. This means they are profitting off the creation of maps, as well as the efforts of BNs and QATs who push these maps for ranked. This is an issue IF BN's and QAT's are considered part of the staff, but not an issue if BN and QAT are just part of the community and regular users.
If I'm not wrong, I think osu!supporter is legally considered a donation and not a purchase, so there would be no legal issues on that part of the matter
posted
posted
Imagine being top 1k paying someone to map and rank farm maps with only patterns you're good at because you're that bad xDD
posted

peppy wrote:

If you have a better proposal of how to have some beatmaps ready with FA releases without giving away the releases beforehand (we want to have a bit of surprise/anticipation, right?!) then please bring that up elsewhere. This thread is not for discussing how FA/other groups should work.

And if FA won't let you in why not put in the effort to make your own group? Everything starts with effort. We aren't against seeing more interesting mapping teams forming. This used to be a more commonplace thing in the past and it resulted in really creative projects.
what is the point in responding to this? it was just explaining how it worked to someone lol.

I posted other issues you have yet responded to about the hypocrisy with this whole thread/statement where you want the music creators permission to use their content, and we have FA which is supposed to be the sole ground for licensed mapping content, but for some reason only mapper's guild is backed up/rewarded by staff for mapping FA content instead of any regular user. Then you say yourself anyone can join it(which is untrue), making people feel like if they wait til they get into the group then they can get the rewards. Or you take a large part of the mapping community who is a fan of most of the mappers in mapper's guild due to the popularization of pishifat's "educational videos", and you ask them to map FA. Why should they when their favorite maps of the songs are already out? Not to mention many of the already FA songs that are out are borderline unmappable especially for standard, but lol.

as for the comment on other things,

osu!team wrote:

we have decided that all members of any osu! team involved in the ranking process (e.g. Beatmap Nominators, Quality Assurance Team, etc)
So BN and QAT are part of osu!team or you could say "staff" no? but we want to pretend like all the songs being pushed as official content in osu! that isn't licensed is something osu! doesn't know about?
posted
is it REALLY that hard to say that the origin of this problem is Sotarks? Isn't restricting him (again) the easiest solution?
posted

h3oCharles wrote:

is it REALLY that hard to say that the origin of this problem is Sotarks? Isn't restricting him (again) the easiest solution?
no
posted

bor wrote:

Though it's thanks to pishi and MG we have that nice stream of great quality maps, really huge effort from them. Still I agree with the point that there is no really sense to pick music from FA if you not in MG unless you really desperate to map exact track. Not because rewards but mainly because of releases availability and support through ranking process which currently in the wild as none as for unlicensed content, wish this was on the "team" priorities radar as well as fighting with commissions.
show more
Please sign in to reply.