forum

Video edition softw': recommendations?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
45Traeath
Although I don't think I'll be occupying myself with such activity for a long time, I'd still like some opinions.
x2Zero7
There are 2 that highly highly recommend

Blender and Adobe Premier Pro

https://www.blender.org/
https://www.adobe.com/products/premiere.html

I could talk for hours about each of them, but here's the tl;dr.

Blender is free and open source. You don't have to pay anything to get going with it and it is super easy to download and experiment with. The "Video Sequence Editor" (the part you edit videos with) is very robust, and gets the job.

Adobe Premier Pro is not free, but is very commonly used among professional and amateur editors in the field. It isn't super expensive, it works incredibly well, and has loads of features.

I would say both are great to start learning with, and have plenty of room to grow into more advanced techniques with. But if you wanted to download something immediately and start playing, blender is worth looking at. If you want really high quality in a super easy to use package, and have some money to spare, you can check out Premier Pro as well!

Hope this helps!
Dntm8kmeeatu

x2Zero7 wrote:

Adobe Premier Pro is not free, but is very commonly used among professional and amateur editors in the field. It isn't super expensive, it works incredibly well, and has loads of features.

I personally would consider $21 a month "super expensive" for most users and people who are just looking for a decent editing software for some personal stuff here and there.

My suggestion for a video editor is Davinci Resolve. One of the more professional looking and working video workstations that has a free version (Free version is limited in some features, but is still decent at what it does.) It's great for getting into video editing and getting used to "professional" level suites for no cost.

You will need a computer decent enough to run it though, and it's export options aren't that consumer friendly. Doesn't have a great selection of Video codecs for non-professional end users. Though I'm not sure if Version 15 has fixed that or not. (I use ver 14.)

And to add onto everything; Handbrake is a good open source video encoder to have around to compress and convert anything you export to a more stream / bandwidth friendly version.
Topic Starter
45Traeath

x2Zero7 wrote:

I could talk for hours about each of them, [...]
I don't mind the full talk, but I'll read the comments about only Blender for the following reason:

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

x2Zero7 wrote:

[...]
I personally would consider $21 a month "super expensive" for most users and people who are just looking for a decent editing software for some personal stuff here and there.
"A decent PC" for DVResolve, mm...
Well, I could take on the gamble (even though this Acer of mine's 2 years old *can't remember the caracteristics XD*).
I'm not aiming high/pro', but that does not mean I won't listen to recomm' about "high performance/decent PC required" stuff ( '-')

*Adds HandBrake in the folder.*

Thanks for the answers!
(Still open to more opinions '-')b
mulraf
The recommended ones definitely are sony vegas and premiere pro. Both offer a lot of tools, aren't too hard to get into and offer a good workflow. If you are going to buy, both are really expensive though. If you want it cheap go with magix video deluxe. Not free either but sadly every free software sucks and video editing software is always pricy.
Personally i use adobe after effects. Usually it's not meant for the full editing process, but just to add effects.. Afterwards. However, basically it's unlimited in terms of tools, you can basically do anything (even though 3d and particles needs 3rd party extensions). It has bad workflow for normal editing and is quirky and harder to get into.

Handbrake is the best encoding tool yeah.

Edit: well you can go free and kegal actually. I did that for some time. Always get the free trial versions of rotating softwares. Basically most software is similar so it won't be too hard to get usrd to. I can give lots of suggestions
x2Zero7

45Traeath wrote:

x2Zero7 wrote:

I could talk for hours about each of them, [...]
I don't mind the full talk, but I'll read the comments about only Blender for the following reason:

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

x2Zero7 wrote:

[...]

"A decent PC" for DVResolve, mm...
Well, I could take on the gamble (even though this Acer of mine's 2 years old *can't remember the caracteristics XD*).
I'm not aiming high/pro', but that does not mean I won't listen to recomm' about "high performance/decent PC required" stuff ( '-')

*Adds HandBrake in the folder.*

Thanks for the answers!
(Still open to more opinions '-')b

I think as long as you have a somewhat recent i5 (Probably 5th Gen? Anything with the 5000 series or so), 8Gb of ram, and some fast storage (SSD is better, but you'll just notice slower loading times with a hard disk. If none of this means anything to you, honestly you're probably fine to run it but some tasks may take ages.)

Dntm8kmeeatu wrote:

x2Zero7 wrote:

My suggestion for a video editor is Davinci Resolve. One of the more professional looking and working video workstations that has a free version (Free version is limited in some features, but is still decent at what it does.) It's great for getting into video editing and getting used to "professional" level suites for no cost.

You will need a computer decent enough to run it though, and it's export options aren't that consumer friendly. Doesn't have a great selection of Video codecs for non-professional end users. Though I'm not sure if Version 15 has fixed that or not. (I use ver 14.)

And to add onto everything; Handbrake is a good open source video encoder to have around to compress and convert anything you export to a more stream / bandwidth friendly version.

I also totally spaced DaVinci! I've always known it to be more a colorists/compositing tool, but it does have an editing interface. I've never used it, but I'm sure it is more than suitable for getting started. One useful thing I really learned - the tool doesn't matter anywhere near as much as the technique! So grab whatever is easiest for you to get, and start editing!

mulraf wrote:

The recommended ones definitely are sony vegas and premiere pro. Both offer a lot of tools, aren't too hard to get into and offer a good workflow. If you are going to buy, both are really expensive though. If you want it cheap go with magix video deluxe. Not free either but sadly every free software sucks and video editing software is always pricy.
Personally i use adobe after effects. Usually it's not meant for the full editing process, but just to add effects.. Afterwards. However, basically it's unlimited in terms of tools, you can basically do anything (even though 3d and particles needs 3rd party extensions). It has bad workflow for normal editing and is quirky and harder to get into.

Handbrake is the best encoding tool yeah.

Edit: well you can go free and kegal actually. I did that for some time. Always get the free trial versions of rotating softwares. Basically most software is similar so it won't be too hard to get usrd to. I can give lots of suggestions

Sorry for the super long post, but fun fact - All versions of after effects post 2013 ship with CINEWARE plugin and C4D Lite, so you actually can do some basic 3D stuff in after effects, not using the built in raytracer (which is horribly out of date and slow - that's why they just shipped C4D with it) https://www.maxon.net/en-us/products/cineware-for-after-effects/
mulraf

x2Zero7 wrote:

Sorry for the super long post, but fun fact - All versions of after effects post 2013 ship with CINEWARE plugin and C4D Lite, so you actually can do some basic 3D stuff in after effects, not using the built in raytracer (which is horribly out of date and slow - that's why they just shipped C4D with it) https://www.maxon.net/en-us/products/cineware-for-after-effects/

tbh even though i know that c4d and after effects are pretty compatible what i actually thought of in terms of 3d was something more basic like element 3d by videocopilot. sure, worse in terms of options, but for most of the stuff that normie editors like me are gonna touch, it is easy, fast and enough.
Topic Starter
45Traeath

mulraf wrote:

x2Zero7 wrote:

One useful thing I really learned - the tool doesn't matter anywhere near as much as the technique! So grab whatever is easiest for you to get, and start editing!
*The "uuhh..." noise Mark' produces in this.*

Don't hesitate, flood the thread with those suggestions ( '-')b