forum

Taiko with GameCube drums

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
TheSuyo
I started Taiko a few days ago, and did... eh, not that bad, but not well either. So I just mash some keys still trying to figure out how the large ntoes work, when I noticed my old GameCube drums collecting dust.
So I did an experiment with them.

As stated in the video, each drum has two buttons, which are being mapped to different keys. I used Joy2Key for this, mapped button 1 to Inner Right, 2 to Outer Right, 3 to Inner Left and 4 to Outer Left (also 8, the START button, to Escape). I also turned around the drums because I like it better, so if you use them the right way you need to turn around the button mappings.
I used this adapter because I also have a PS2 Controller and you can plug in multiple controllers and use them all at once. I think it should work with most adapters, though I have heard of some adapters only working with controllers, not these drums.

After playing with it a bit, I think this way of playing is just as accurate as with a keyboard, but has no real advantages. Some might find this to be easier to use (my sister does), but I'll just stay with my keyboard and play with the drums if I don't feel like playing seriously.
Aqo
That's awesome! I think you should stick to playing like this, once you get good it'll make you stand out from keyboard players. Using different controllers for the same games only makes it more interesting to see what people are capable of and how far you can get with every style
those
DONKEY KONGA!