forum

[resolved] Newest update to osu! is causing multi second long freezing

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Sl4yerKing
I was wondering if there is a way to revert to an earlier version of osu (as in a few days earlier).

It seems that after updating to the newest version, I am suddenly getting very common one to two second long freezes. I know it is from the update because I was in the middle of playing osu perfectly normal, but after updating the game (same session), I would get long freezes.

I made sure i'm using the right graphics card, changed every setting, changed resolutions, updated graphics card, ran as administator, turned off wifi, turned off firewall, [EDIT:reset my computer], [EDIT:disabling 'Superfetch'], and generally every other generic thing out there. Nothing has worked.
If you know of a way to get previous versions (as in a few weeks older) of osu! working then please share.

Or if you think there is something I have not tried to do to fix the game, then also please share that too.

EDIT: It seems nothing in the game code was changed in the most recent updated I will continue to look for changes that happened on my PC on August 10th.
Dntm8kmeeatu
Tried restarting your computer?
Topic Starter
Sl4yerKing
I have restarted my computer. I forgot to add that one thanks,
Death
What release stream are you on and what version of the game did you just update to? It's been a few days since the last update.

Even then, nothing changed that would cause this lag. Here is a link to the most recent changes for Stable: https://osu.ppy.sh/home/changelog/stable40/20180811.2
Topic Starter
Sl4yerKing

Death wrote:

What release stream are you on and what version of the game did you just update to? It's been a few days since the last update.

Even then, nothing changed that would cause this lag. Here is a link to the most recent changes for Stable: https://osu.ppy.sh/home/changelog/stable40/20180811.2

I was playing Stable, although I'm not sure which version
I updated to Stable August 10 20180811.2
Most likely from the June 26 Stable 20180626.1 version.
Death
The additional keybind and summer backgrounds were the only things added to that update, so it's pretty unlikely that caused your freezing issue.

Try updating your audio drivers as you haven't listed that you've done that yet.

Close anything running on your computer that you don't need to have open in order for it to run properly. Clean booting your computer might help with this. Keep your task manager open to see if anything else is running or spiking while playing, just in case you missed something.
Topic Starter
Sl4yerKing
Although I have not tested it very thoroughly I think the problem has been solved. I'm not sure exactly what the solution was, but here is a list of things that I did.

To start off I went into my file explorer and searched for any file changes that happened from 8/9/2018 to 8/12/2018, there I found hundreds of files that had been updated, So I know it had to be from one of them. Mostly it was steam, discord, and osu! files.

Here is a list of things that I did
-Completely uninstall discord and reinstall it
-Delete many steam games
-two steam games in particular showed up a lot (SCP containment breach and Magika[not the card game])
-reinstall osu skins
-deleted recently downloaded osu! maps
-delete a folder in AppData{/roaming? or /local} called [3dscache]
-manually reinstalled audio driver (Thanks Death)

There were a couple other small things, but I can't exactly remember.
To be honest I think the problem came from Discord because there were hundreds of discord files that were updated a couple minutes apart each, and I was getting freezes every couple minutes.

I also read in another post by Dntm8kmeeatu that only just recently that many osu! players have been getting stutters, and discord is a relatively new software, could reinstalling discord be a fix? I think it's worth testing out.
Death
Normally all of the Discord issues seem to stem from its in-game overlay, which you can try disabling if you want to keep Discord installed.

I'm not sure if it the overlay is enabled by default or if reinstalling fixes whatever issues it seems to be causing for people.

Whether or not Discord was the issue, glad you were able to get this resolved.
show more