1. osu!community
  2. osu!
  3. Development
  4. Ranking Criteria
posted
There's a number of maps with nice custom hitsounding but completely failed at matching the custom samples to the right names. For example, if a tambourine sound moved to the file normal-hitfinish.wav, any players playing without custom hitsounds on will hear the default (or their skinned) hitfinish instead. As a player who plays without custom hitsounds on, this can become ridiculously annoying. Some of the worst offenders:
  1. https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1169701&m=0
  2. https://osu.ppy.sh/b/1607120
  3. https://osu.ppy.sh/b/965243&m=0

Is there anything that can be added to the ranking criteria to ensure that custom samples are mapped to the correct names?
posted
maps are made to be played as they are - if you use custom hitsounding that makes the map sound annoying the obvious solution would be not using custom hitsounding over the actual hitsounding of the maps
posted
I'm talking about having a requirement in the ranking criteria that hitsounds should sound right even with default samples, so it's not annoying to players who have beatmap samples disabled.
posted
i know

read what i wrote - maps are made to be played as they were intended to be played, if you chose to manually modify your gameplay experience then how should someone possibly account for whatever you chose
posted
And in addition, many hitsounds cannot be name after something like "whistles", "claps", etc.
posted
Even so, it shouldn't make sense for someone to , for example, name all their custom samples "hitfinish" when there are better matches (see Logic Agent's map that I linked where he skins whistles to finish).

If some sounds can't be matched exactly, they should try their best. I'm only talking about the case where there's clearly a better option and the mapper doesn't choose it, so it sounds bad.

If you want to value the map experience, you can do so through the editor, as many mappers do already. But when playing, I find custom samples to be auxiliary rather than necessary.
posted
Yes, some mappers can replace the default hitsounds accordingly, however, that doesn't mean it's possible for all other mappers. If so, there would be additional burden for mappers to satisfy those who'd like to disable hitsounds, which would be a pain as mappers endeavor to provide best hitsound experience for players and some are even begging them not to disable hitsounds. So it is recommended that players put on the hitsounds, not mappers cater to players insisting on their own hitsounds in the skin.

And also, if such a rule/guideline existed, there would be too many ambiguous cases and exceptions due to various use of hitsounds, and thus it would work terribly to the extent of execution, as you even need to take the variety of players' skin into consideration, which goes too far.
posted
Your average player is not going to be snooping around files in the osu! editor.

Just generally playing the beatmap.
This generally shouldn't be a problem. Because it's a lot simpler for amateur beatmappers to understand hitsounding better.
posted

- [ Nizzy ] - wrote:

Your average player is not going to be snooping around files in the osu! editor.
Right, so for an average player who plays without custom samples, there is nothing you could do about a poorly hitsounded map.

Okoratu wrote:

maps are made to be played as they were intended to be played, if you chose to manually modify your gameplay experience then how should someone possibly account for whatever you chose
I'm not talking about changing the gameplay experience that the mappers had intended for players; players who play with custom samples on can still enjoy the map's hitsounding to its fullest, but mappers shouldn't be ignorant towards players who don't play with custom samples. This should not be that hard, just check your samples before you hitsound.

I'm not asking mappers to change how they hitsound, I'm just asking for the samples to be used on the right hitsounds.