forum

osu!taiko World Cup 2018 - Foul Play

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
HappyStick
Hey everyone,

We hope you're all having a blast with this years osu!taiko World Cup. We certainly have been and appreciate the incredible amount of positive feedback we've received from both players and spectators. However, with the good also comes the occasional bad. We strongly feel that transparency is key during these situations, so that brings us to...

The Bad News.

We've run into a, to put it lightly, less than ideal situation. In recent weeks we started getting reports about a specific player ("Dargin") on the US team being suspicious. It was right around the Quarter Finals and outside of gut feelings we didn't have much to go on, so we decided to keep an eye out. By the Semi Finals however, it became increasingly clear there was something going on.

This posed a tough situation. The last thing we wanted to do was assume someone's guilt without sufficient evidence. Especially because a player engaging in foul play during the World Cups is far larger than just that individual player or their team. It impacts other teams, people working behind the scenes, friendships and spectators. Most importantly though, it affects the integrity and trust from the community that we strive to build around the World Cups.

In the spirit of innocent until proven guilty, we decided to not take action based on solely our gut feelings and instead asked him to, in clear view, record his play session during the Finals. This might seem very rudimentary, but pending back-end investigation and the little time we had to work with, it seemed a fair compromise to ensure there at least wasn't any obvious foul play happening.

Quite frankly to our surprise, after reviewing of the footage by several people and back-end detective work, we've concluded that Dargin, beyond the shadow of a doubt, was using tools during his participation. The situation has been handled in line with our policies, but that leaves us with another question:

Now what? We find ourselves in a situation where the US team made it to the Top 3, and are supposed to face Taiwan this weekend.

Here's how we think we can make the most of this situation:

1) We'll be postponing the Grand Finals by a week. This is to ensure players have time to acclimate to the situation and aren't pressured in any way.

2) We have no reason to believe the US team was aware of their teammate's foul play, and we firmly believe punishing them based on it would be the wrong course of action.

3) Both Canada and Indonesia were very directly impacted in their journey to the Top 3. Obviously many other teams have faced the US along the way, but with both these teams making it into the Top 5, we feel they in particular deserve a redo and fair shot at making it to the Grand Finals.

4) Based on points 2 and 3, we gave Indonesia and the remaining US team the option to replay their match. The US has declined the offer and will instead forfeit out of the TWC.

5) Following the above, we've reached out to Canada and Indonesia to hopefully plan a match for this weekend that will determine who's facing Taiwan in the Losers Grand Finals.

We believe that this is the fairest answer to the current situation and ensures the Taiko World Cup can reach the conclusion it deserves.

What can we do better in the future?

Every situation like this comes with responsibility on our end. We should've taken more decisive and proactive measures the moment the first report came to us and we apologize for our lag in response. In hindsight we certainly silently hoped and assumed this wouldn't pose a problem rather than ensuring it couldn't become a problem in the first place. We'd love to hear your thoughts and feedback on the situation.

Now that this is dealt with and the clouds have cleared, let's sit back and enjoy the rest of the Taiko World Cup! :)

- HappyStick
fieryrage
Like and retweet if you literally destroy someone's hopes and dreams

e: Actually is it possible that we can see the evidence you guys used to convict?
trey-
karterfreak
I'm so sorry n1do..
DeletedUser_8541283
what a piece of trash

literally kills multiple peoples' motivation and only dream in this game for attention
World Fraction
im disappointed
nibs
:x
Alchyr
This is not to say that I don't trust your investigations, but I would appreciate it if there was some kind of video or something showing a review of the footage and an explanation of the cheating method to make it absolutely clear to anyone that it is the truth. Because well, to be honest I'd rather not believe it, so any kind of clear viewable proof would be helpful.
Ney
i'm sorry to everyone that believed in USA this entire time.

i have no words to express the shame i feel towards this.
Foxeru
I feel bad for the US players
Proxxy_old_1
is there actual proof of this, like a video or something?
karterfreak

Alchyr wrote:

This is not to say that I don't trust your investigations, but I would appreciate it if there was some kind of video or something showing a review of the footage and an explanation of the cheating method to make it absolutely clear to anyone that it is the truth. Because well, to be honest I'd rather not believe it, so any kind of clear viewable proof would be helpful.

I do have to say I feel the same way if only because the timing of this is really bad (2 days, nearly 3 after the match?). This should be something 100% verifiable at this point or it's going to leave a lot of upset people. There are already people saying that this situation was caused by Canada bandwagoning against Dargin so it's being thrown in our face as well.
Red Riding Hood
Maybe you could show us the recordings of Dargin's gameplay during the Finals?

We don't even know what "tools" he was suspected of using.
Zing
I, for one, am not convinced. I have had rapport with Dargin throughout this process, and he is terrified about the spectre of suspicion raised by what I suspect to be a few players salty that their team lost to a country they wrote off as illegitimate. Evidence? What evidence? Does the fact that Dargin literally does not have the internet speed to stream his hands while he streams his screen, count as evidence? What about this "footage" and "back-end detective work"? I, for one, would welcome the opportunity to see for myself what this staff believes is decisive evidence of cheating.

Dargin has posted a log of his surprise advancement into the US top 2 and World top 50 shortly before the tournament. His shock and glee were palpable and genuine, and there is nothing to suspect that he would cheat to get such an insignificant edge. He was above all that, choosing to not engage with the hellhole of a subcommunity that Taiko has begun to nurture, a scourge no doubt an offshoot of the ubiquitously toxic Standard community. Dargin is not like the others before him: He made his own fame and rank fair and square, getting into the US top 10 without requiring hacks. Why would he now be using them? It just makes no sense.
grizzlypng

n1doking wrote:

i'm sorry to everyone that believed in USA this entire time.

i have no words to express the shame i feel towards this.

I feel very sorry for you :(
Corim
Raveille
Gutted. I'm so disappointed and upset over this. n1doking and the others never deserved this.
Jensen
so fucking unfortunate.
peppy

Alchyr wrote:

Zing wrote:

I, for one, am not convinced. I have had rapport with Dargin throughout this process, and he is terrified about the spectre of suspicion raised by what I suspect to be a few players salty that their team lost to a country they wrote off as illegitimate. Evidence? What evidence? Does the fact that Dargin literally does not have the internet speed to stream his hands while he streams his screen, count as evidence? What about this "footage" and "back-end detective work"? I, for one, would welcome the opportunity to see for myself what this staff believes is decisive evidence of cheating.

We asked the user to provide us a video stream (from a phone or better) showing his screen and hands. He did this and four members of the team (including myself) analysed it over the last few days. The delay before we made this announcement was a mixture of us wanting to be 101% sure of what we found, but also due to the amount of time it takes to go through video footage frame-by-frame to find discrepancies (or the lack thereof).

Our standard restriction policies are to not release evidence as it only aids people in learning and improving their ways going forward – releasing such footage would require an unfeasible change to our restriction process.

Furthermore, this was a private request and we explicitly said the video would not be shared beyond the team. The user is free to share the footage on a non-official osu! forum if they believe our decision to be incorrect, but our team is 100% sure about our judgement here.

I understand the emotion behind this, but it is something we all have to come to terms with, unfortunately.
Backfire
Oh boy.
show more