1. osu! forums
  2. osu!
  3. Gameplay & Rankings
show more
posted
You'll improve as long as you play a shit ton and push yourself while doing that. Those who play for score don't do that, which is why they don't get any better
posted
i disagree. improvement entails playing more but playing more doesn't entail improvement on its own. and playing more is not definitive at all because it's too general, it's a starting point from which everything else is derived, not an end goal.

there's never a definitive answer when it comes to improving at a multifaceted skill like playing osu because it's too complex and circumstantial to be reduced. 'play more' works as a general guide, and that's all it is. it's the bare minimum, there's nothing conclusive, definitive, or insightful about it. it's not wrong, but it's comparatively poor advice. and it obviously doesn't explain differences in skill between players with equal play time.
posted

KupcaH wrote:

But c'mon, people are dumb if they don't understand that they need to push their limits and play maps above their comfort zone to improve.
...And yet, "play more" typically comes bundled with the typical sermon of "Go back to playing 2 stars, you have much to learn there." and survivalists are seen in a bad light because "If you can't pass 3.5 stars with 95% accuracy, you're not ready for 4 stars."

I notice a trend among the regulars who grant their advice to the common folk, where they seem to think that Osu is a mystical, esoteric way of life, a path that few can take without dedicating months of meditation, while playing more, to gain the wisdom needed to understand on a deeper level and achieve progress. "It's far too early for you to use a custom skin, stick to the default. It may be awful, but it's a wonderful learning experience to a simple peasant such as yourself."

My personal wish is that, besides "play more", people would get a habit of suggesting variables that can help. Dimmed background, dual tap, skin, hitsounds off, higher mouse sensitivity, remapping buttons, retries, mods, hand position, to name those that come to my mind. I wish a stickied post would name them all and explain why they deserve consideration even if some of them might not apply to the reader. I'd do it myself, but I don't have enough prestige.
posted

Flying Deer wrote:

My personal wish is that, besides "play more", people would get a habit of suggesting variables that can help. Dimmed background, dual tap, skin, hitsounds off, higher mouse sensitivity, remapping buttons, retries, mods, hand position, to name those that come to my mind. I wish a stickied post would name them all and explain why they deserve consideration even if some of them might not apply to the reader. I'd do it myself, but I don't have enough prestige.
Don't at least one of the stickied threads at the top suggest things like that?
posted
posted
I don't think so... If they do, it's too well hidden for me.
t/187364
t/99612

In the second one I see a small part advocating for hitsounds, but no mention to why one would wish to play without them, which would be more helpful since nearly everyone uses hitsounds anyway so nobody bothers to try without.

Flanster wrote:

(a 5 sec video and nothing else)
posted

loveleft wrote:

i disagree. improvement entails playing more but playing more doesn't entail improvement on its own. and playing more is not definitive at all because it's too general, it's a starting point from which everything else is derived, not an end goal.

there's never a definitive answer when it comes to improving at a multifaceted skill like playing osu because it's too complex and circumstantial to be reduced. 'play more' works as a general guide, and that's all it is. it's the bare minimum, there's nothing conclusive, definitive, or insightful about it. it's not wrong, but it's comparatively poor advice. and it obviously doesn't explain differences in skill between players with equal play time.
I’m sorry that you’re too mentally deficient to understand that when someone says play more; they are implying that you push yourself and continue to play maps that involve the skill which they want to improve at.
posted
talent
posted
Pay more. It will help improve osu.
posted

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

Play more is the most stupid thing, brainless players answer due to don't understand nothing, or just the opposite, to much to explain and hard to do it to a less skilled player, so they say it, but isn't true. Players who played more than anyone else, are not the best.

If you are playing only 27* maps or only 1* every day, and you ask how to improve at forums, they are going to watch your profile, see your rank and play time and tell you to "keep trying" a.k.a play more. When you're wasting your time.

Play more isn't usefull if you don't play right things.
Play more isn't usefull If you already play a lot.
Play more isn't usefull If you repeat same map using muscle memory.
Play more isn't usefull If you play tons of maps without pay attention to nothing.
Play more isn't usefull if you don't put effort into it.
Play more don't tell you where are you worst and what you should improve.


Let the meme die, it's the most non sense answer.
Get a work and buy better hardware it's a better advice.
Slowly improve from easy to hard maps it's a better advice.
Go sleep and stop caring so much about the game, stress is not going to help you at all. Good advice.
Do more sports. Good advice.

Play more? '--
1. everybody improves at different speed. even if your playtime is higher than other people but still worse, thats because everyone learns stuff in different speed. lets say youre studying in school. even if you spend more time than others, its not a guranteened advantage to everyone else. thats because other people might only need lesser time to do what you can with a longer time. what you can guranteen, is that you will improve in one way or another, compared to your old self, theres no fucking use comparing to other people when everyone is improving...

2. "27* and 1* only" common sense buddy

3. I can kinda agree to this, because im always trying to tell people to play a larger variety of maps

4. its not a meme, its an answer which everyone can take in, and the most effective way to improve.
better hardware doesnt always means higher skill as explained in the original post
slowly improving from easy to hard maps isnt always a good advice for everyone, and its basically a shortened form of "play more 1* until you can play 2* then move on to play more 2* until you can play 3*" kind of play more loop
sleeping is a rather general advice for your life, not osu
do more sport too, they make you healthier and thats it

ManuelOsuPlayer wrote:

https://osu.ppy.sh/p/playerranking/?m=0&s=1&r=&q=&f=
Here you can find players worst than you at 99% of maps, what have played 5 times more than you.
You just say it. It's effort what matters, not number of keys pressed, times played, number of songs...

Would you recommend to a player who played 5 times more than you, to play more, or to tryhard more?
5. explained in 1.

6. Yes obviously, would you ask one to play less to improve?
posted
hey have u guys realized top players never post on the forums
posted

winber1 wrote:

hey have u guys realized top players never post on the forums
They must be offline forum posters
posted
enjoy game > play more
posted

kacper124 wrote:

winber1 wrote:

hey have u guys realized top players never post on the forums
They must be offline forum posters
Nah, I think they're just scrubs who don't go or don't go to the forums at all
posted

winber1 wrote:

hey have u guys realized top players never post on the forums
This can't be true because winber is here
posted
Play less
posted

winber1 wrote:

play more
posted

buny wrote:

winber1 wrote:

play more
no more
Please sign in to reply.