forum

How do I know how many circles are in a row?

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
azertik
The title really says it all. Say some circles are in succession, how do I know how many of them are there?
Thanks!
DandT
I see you are new here, so for now all I can say is to play 1-2 star maps. What I think you are talking about is called "stream". Ofc, when there are 3-4-5-6 circles in a row, you can tell how many they are, but when they are a lot, you have to go by the rhythm (or spam the keys until they are gone :>)
So just for now play low star maps, and in time you will get the flow of the game.
Stanvord
I would suggest getting using a skin other than the default one. A custom skin will help reading the circles cause the default skin is terrible for reading
Wishes
Get a skin which has at least some transparency in the middle of the hitcircles so it is easier to see how many are in a stack. After you play a while you will be able to tell quickly how many circles there are unless it is a big stack or stream in which case you rely on rhythm.
- e - v - b-
play more, over time you will build muscle memory for it; that and rely on the maps rhythm
Endaris

Stanvord wrote:

I would suggest getting using a skin other than the default one. A custom skin will help reading the circles cause the default skin is terrible for reading

You are terrible, mate.
The default skin has many many upsides, especially for new players. You're not going to learn how to play with colors and numbers if you play with a numberless and monocolored skin from the start. And if you think that's not a desirable skill, well, your loss.

On Topic:
As suggested by DandT, take it slow with the difficulty. You can tell the amount of circles by the amount of approach circles if there are not too many and if there are more, simply focus on the last approachcircle and keep going until you hit it. Usually it is easy to hear when a stack is going to end, you will be able to tell by listening as you spend more time playing.
Sandy Hoey
Or just listen to the music. The notes follow the music, so you should be able to predict how many notes are in a stream or stack by listening
kai99
i dont know, i learned to count it. i see 7 of them and i know i'll have to press the keys 7 times or 13 idk . . .its weird
Flying Deer
The approach circles help a lot. They make it especially easy to tell if it's a stack of 2 or a stack of 3.
Approach circles are easier to see if you dim your background to 100% in the options, and they are also easier to see if you have a mild skin without too much useless stuff trying to get your attention. Yugen is a popular skin, and personally I prefer Daoski, which is very similar, because it's even more toned down which makes approach circles even easier to notice.

You most definitely need to use a skin and it's never too soon to get a good one.

Other than that, yes, you learn to get a feel for it by listening to the music. The number in a stack is meant to be mapped in a way that would make sense to most people.
ManuelOsuPlayer
Follow rhythm, predict music, watch all the circles one by one, be aware of fingers tapping, mix all and practice.
Brainage
Get a skin with transparent circle backgrounds, this makes it so you can see the numbers of the next circle in the stack whether or not you're using HD.
ScholasticOG
Not to state the classic answer, but the often-annoying phrase “play more” rings quite true here. Playing with non-default skin can help a lot, simply because most custom skins are designed to be easier to read. Beyond that, simply playing more will make it to where you read stacks and streams automatically, where you either know how many notes there are or are able to easily follow it rhythmically to conclusion. Just practice more of them and the skills will build faster :)
Ninjamaa
Realized just that I don't have any clue how I "count" circles in stream. I just comes from playing lot. xd
DestroyG

Wishes wrote:

Get a skin which has at least some transparency in the middle of the hitcircles so it is easier to see how many are in a stack. After you play a while you will be able to tell quickly how many circles there are unless it is a big stack or stream in which case you rely on rhythm.
do you recommend a skin? if so, could you please give me a link to download it? Thanks.
Stomiks

DestroyG wrote:

Wishes wrote:

do you recommend a skin? if so, could you please give me a link to download it? Thanks.
Go DM him about it. It's unlikely he'll contact you through a forum thread years ago.
Sies
Please go to Skinning forum for questions about skin. Also don't forget to read rules before posting.

As a reminder, please do not necropost, and feel free to create a new thread for new topic instead.