forum

Is it possible to play all songs on mouse?

posted
Total Posts
show more
thelewa

kriers wrote:

doomsday is mouse + kb. Always has been. How can someone think he isn't?
He even tried a tablet and deemed it HARDER than mouse + kb
L e M oN
Meh, I've always liked playing with mouse + kb better than Tablet, then again thats my opinion.
kriers

ragelewa wrote:

kriers wrote:

doomsday is mouse + kb. Always has been. How can someone think he isn't?
He even tried a tablet and deemed it HARDER than mouse + kb
and tablet isn't even beneficial before after a long while if you're really good with mouse.
A_Good_Man
dont think any pro mouse+kb player can play hr on most of crazy maps(compare with tablet pros)
but if without hr, mouse n kb is enuf
like SiLiva(wrong spelling?)
thelewa
but silvia can play hd+hr on almost every map out there, he just greatly dislikes hd+hr and will only resort to it if he can't get to top 6 with an SSH or if the map is outright silly and requires HR

edited almost in because let's not exaggerate
ztrot
the day maps are made for a extra mode of input is the day I jump in a lake.... hmm water is nice and cool :U
thelewa
have fun in the lake
kriers

A_Good_Man wrote:

dont think any pro mouse+kb player can play hr on most of crazy maps(compare with tablet pros)
Nonsense.
Mesita

A_Good_Man wrote:

i've seen azuraer (mouse only if i'm not wrong), divx, keigoclear playing hr+hd. Also http://osu.ppy.sh/s/30876 --> #18 mouse+kb ;)
M i l o t i c

archfortess wrote:

Is it possible to play all songs on mouse?
yes,with no fail mod
silmarilen
i played with a tablet for about an hour once when i was still a rookie, didnt really feel like an improvement, but didnt feel like it made it harder either.
anthonyyy0
You can't play taiko maps on a mouse. ;) Well, you CAN, but, I mean... you can't because... well it's not possible to click that fast. :roll:
Nightfirecat

anthonyyy0 wrote:

You can't play taiko maps on a mouse. ;) Well, you CAN, but, I mean... you can't because... well it's not possible to click that fast. :roll:
I was gonna say...you can click on a mouse as fast as on a keyboard - I'd argue possibly faster, because of the shorter distance required to register a click as opposed to a keypress.
kriers

Nightfirecat wrote:

I was gonna say...you can click on a mouse as fast as on a keyboard - I'd argue possibly faster, because of the shorter distance required to register a click as opposed to a keypress.
Now here's the problem: your fingers still has to do all the work, regardless of how the flat the keyboard or mouse button is.
Most players who can tap really fast don't use their finger only. They'll often let the wrist do most of the job which
boosts 1key capabilites quite a lot, actually.

Needless to say it's not possible to use your whole wrist when clicking the mouse, since the mouse has to be held too, you know :P

And also one thing I've noticed about clicking is that even though I might be faster clicking on my mouse while holding it still, it's impossible to do this whilst playing the game - it's like breathing while swallowing!
anthonyyy0

kriers wrote:

Nightfirecat wrote:

Now here's the problem: your fingers still has to do all the work, regardless of how the flat the keyboard or mouse button is.
Most players who can tap really fast don't use their finger only. They'll often let the wrist do most of the job which
boosts 1key capabilites quite a lot, actually.

Needless to say it's not possible to use your whole wrist when clicking the mouse, since the mouse has to be held too, you know :P

And also one thing I've noticed about clicking is that even though I might be faster clicking on my mouse while holding it still, it's impossible to do this whilst playing the game - it's like breathing while swallowing!
Yeah. Also, you have both the x and c keys for red notes, versus only the left click on the mouse. You can alternate x and c but you have to straight up tap the left mouse button.
MewMewMint13
I play with just a laptop mouse....XD It's easyer thatn with a tablet for me~
Soly
gokiburi
Being an avid mouse player no one knows, my 2 cents is that as long as you achieve the right balance between physical limitations of arm movement and CPI on the mouse, you can essentially play what tablet players play. It's obviously more difficult to get over those physical limitations the more you stress on not using another peripheral, as stated by Soly and kriers, but that doesn't stop you from trying to FC all the songs anyway.

I just find clicking significantly more fun and rewarding than playing with a tablet or z/x, both of which I've tried and done equally as well with. Play what you want to play and how you want to play it. If you keep doing that you'll probably either realize your plateau or continuously break it and amaze yourself. My end goal for osu! two weeks ago was to click-pass MATZcore. I did it and then found harder songs. Now I'm trying to pass those.
Gorlum
nvm, del
kriers

jamujamu wrote:

I just find clicking significantly more fun and rewarding than playing with a tablet or z/x, both of which I've tried and done equally as well with. Play what you want to play and how you want to play it. If you keep doing that you'll probably either realize your plateau or continuously break it and amaze yourself. My end goal for osu! two weeks ago was to click-pass MATZcore. I did it and then found harder songs. Now I'm trying to pass those.
This is exactly why I enjoy playing mouse only so much. Whatever play style you may choose, you will face a number of difficulties with each style, but most of them can be wiped out with enough practice. Only by looking at the maximum potential of each play style, given the each players preferences, can we figure out which play style that was the most suitable in the end (rather impossible). For extremely right handed players like myself, I thought I might as well go with mouse, having played with keyboard for half a year without much success compared to the casual clicking I tried.
How
Can PLAY everything. Not sure can be ranker for every songs.
Wishy
Only mouse playing blows and I'll continue to say that till I see some top player use that style.

Don't come saying taNa since he isn't even close to any actual top player, same applies to every only-mouse player.
kriers

Wishy22 wrote:

Only mouse playing blows and I'll continue to say that till I see some top player use that style.

Don't come saying taNa since he isn't even close to any actual top player, same applies to every only-mouse player.
GladiOoOoOoOl
-Athena-

kriers wrote:

Wishy22 wrote:

GladiOoOoOoOl
the above poster
on topic: all ranked stuff yes, the rest i dunno
i too find mouse only more enjoyable, with keyboard it doesn't feel the same XD
nikoniko777
The hardest thing about mouse is the jumps...if you can get past that, then yes XD currenty i use mouse and z/x as well as the occasional clicks. Though a tablet would help greatly with jumps!
G0r
This might not have needed to be resurrected. :\
Mithos
Honestly I don't see why mouse or mouse+kb is any less qualified to play maps like the tablet does. If tablets or other mouse substitutes didn't exist (or were not compatible with osu!), everyone would be busy playing similar (if not the same or harder) maps to what the pros play now.
Jordan
airman would surely be harder to fc than a tablet player
Stefan
With Skill, yes.
G0r

Mithost wrote:

Honestly I don't see why mouse or mouse+kb is any less qualified to play maps like the tablet does. If tablets or other mouse substitutes didn't exist (or were not compatible with osu!), everyone would be busy playing similar (if not the same or harder) maps to what the pros play now.
This is actually the worst, most non sequitur, argument that I have ever heard in my life.
Mithos

G0r wrote:

Mithost wrote:

This is actually the worst, most non sequitur, argument that I have ever heard in my life.
It's an opinion and a state of mind. I feel mouse is just as capable as a tablet, but the players favor the tablet so they learn to get better on it than on the mouse, and most super-insane maps are tailored for tablets. It's not like Pad vs. Keyboard for Stepmania, where your legs have certain limitations with patterns that make keyboard maps impossible.
Azure_Kite
ITT: youropinion != myopinion ∴youropinion = invalid

It's possible to play them, sure. Being a mouse only player, I find the rewards for perseverance are well worth it. I've got a tablet, but don't use it for osu! As I find it less fun.
those

Jordan wrote:

That's a pretty funny statement.
BeatofIke
I'm pretty sure that anything as possible with enough "skill points" XD
SiLviA is over 9000! D:
CXu
Are you able to move your cursor to any spot on your screen with your mouse? Then all maps that are possible with a tablet are possible with your mouse.
(if by some reason you can't move the mouse to a specific spot (as in, it's impossible, even when you're not playing osu!), then you might have a problem.
Haseo_old

TheNutritiousGuy wrote:

With Skill, yes.
Technically this. But what if you're using a mechanical mouse?
-Athena-

CXu wrote:

Are you able to move your cursor to any spot on your screen with your mouse? Then all maps that are possible with a tablet are possible with your mouse.
(if by some reason you can't move the mouse to a specific spot (as in, it's impossible, even when you're not playing osu!), then you might have a problem.
Don't mean to offend, but by your logic every map would be possible on a laptop trackpad and my fingers only.

Unless you mean if its technically/theoretically possible, then I have nothing to argue about.
miss_master_old

Jordan wrote:

airman--jump,jump,jump...
RaneFire

CXu wrote:

Most problematic maps for me are the ones with lots of large movements, causing the angles at which I move my mouse to drift my relative cursor position. Couple that with a lack of any breaks whatsoever (BAD mapping aka difficult/approval mapping) to reposition my hand... and those are the hardest maps for me with mouse only. I can move my mouse's cursor anywhere on my screen perfectly fine if I'm given enough opportunities to reposition. The mouse is not a grid representation of the screen like a tablet is.

Also for mouse-only specifically; when hand gets out of the comfort zone and fingers become more tensed as the mouse tilt's either way, it becomes increasingly harder to click stream, and this is one thing that mouse+kb has an advantage in. Some mappers like AngelHoney (who do make good maps) do not seem to like the use of breaks!? It does not make it much harder for tablet players at all, an illusive difficulty increase, but for mouse players it is a big issue and I think it's lame because the most viable solution for these maps is to raise my DPI, there is just not enough time to lift my mouse without breaking my combo.

On my 5:4 LCD, osu! at 1024x768 windowed; I can use my tablet quite fine with a play area of 92x69mm. At 400 DPI the mouse covers 64x48mm, and at 800 DPI it is half of that, a considerable loss in cursor accuracy just to play a map on a sensitivity I'm not used to, for a few particular maps without breaks.

It seems that I end up using about 20cm of mouse pad at 400 DPI on some maps, when I cover one game screen in 1/3 of that, and yes, this happens after playing without breaks for about 2-3 minutes, and there is not a single mouse in the world that can avoid it, because it's the hand, not the mouse, and it's not just my hand.

TL;DR
Lack of breaks sux for mouse. Stop ignoring the 4th dimension.
Jordan

those wrote:

Jordan wrote:

That's a pretty funny statement.
Lol why? Tell me how a mouse can equal a tablet : )
show more