forum

Keyboard for osu! Ducky Shine 5 or Razer BlackWidow Chroma X

posted
Total Posts
Topic Starter
Maggot9
I'm a newcomer. And I have membrane keyboard at this moment and I got money to buy a new keyboard. I have discovered that the most popular from the top 2 players are Ducky Shine 5 with Cherry MX Red and Razer BlackWidow Chroma X with Razer Green. Which keyboard you think is better for HR style of playing osu!? :oops:
KupcaH
It's preference.
But I personally would go for Ducky Shine 5.
Akanagi
Ducky
Nanachii
dont pick the razer plz
The Gambler
If specifically for osu!, don't go full keyboard... You're better off investing in a 2-key/4-key/numpad setup.

However, if you plan to do everything else with it, then yes, go Ducky.
Topic Starter
Maggot9
I have looked upon the internet for keyboards and it turned out that Ducky Shine 5 keyboard is out of stock and will not be available anytime soon. So I will go for Ducky Shine 6 with Cherry Mx Red switches. I hope it will help others in the future!
Topic Starter
Maggot9

UPDATE:

I bought Ducky Shine 6 with custom keycaps and Cherry MX Speed switches!

And this is my review for future players! Please let me know what you think about it.

Ducky Shine 6 Black RGB Speed Silver Cherry MX Mechanical Keyboard

Overall: (Subjective) At the TOP of 3 keyboards.

If the lighting was very customizable and bit brighter - potentially the best keyboard ever.

Looks: (Subjective) 8/10

Depends on the taste. Very straight design. No issues in build quality. Just excellent.

Feels: (Subjective) 10/10

It is satisfying to press every key.

Light customization: (Subjective) 6/10

Cant really get programmable compare to Razer and Corsair. Very limited customization but it has multi-mode that gives you the ability to customize any key BUT by only one mode at the time. (Can't for example: have ripple effect and rainbow mode at the same time on the key).

Light brightness: (VERY Subjective) 8/10

It feels like it doesn't have very bright RGB LEDs. But I can't compare to Corsair so I CAN'T SAY FOR SURE. BUT if all others keyboards have the same brightness then 10/10!

So is it better than membrane? (Subjective) 10/10 better.

I noticed that keys go back much faster because of the spring that pushes to key back to the initial state - means: gives you the ability to click it much faster. I got 54.8 key presses vs 38.8 key presses per second in terms of performance. Which I think is the game changer for me in comparison. But how about in the games?

How it feels in osu! compare to the membrane?

I started to click too early. Instead of 300 points before, after switching I started to get 100 or even 50 points for too early clicks. Means: shorter actuation point - needs to adapt.
The difference starts from the new feeling when to press feels very natural! Another thing I noticed that it much easier to play higher star maps.

How it feels in CS:GO compare to the membrane?

Very easy to navigate it feels like you have much smaller input lag in the movement and dodging bullet. Would buy just for this feeling compare to the membrane.

What do you think about MX Speed compare to MX Red switches?

I think they are better. Since less travel distance before actuation point means - faster to respond to your action. But is better enough to switch from Red? - I guess you need to figure it by yourself. But if I were in your situation - I wouldn't buy a new set of switches for it, unless it's very cheap to do so. Plus it definitely has a learning curve so if you are too lazy to adapt to the new switches then I wouldn't do it either.

Would you buy this keyboard again if you didn't have one?

Definitely would BUT before I would try to have a Corsair K95.

I very like the look of K95, but because the size of the keys is not standard (Standards are: ANSI, ISO or JIS) you can't customize it at all when Shine 6 is customizable. But the overall cost of Shine 6 with custom keys cost the same money if I bought K95 RGB Platinum, and I think that even that customized keys but with bad light customization don't really overcompensate the superior look of Corsair K95.

Alright, I got that you are Corsair fanboy. So how 'bad' does your not-Corsair keyboard looks like then?

There you go:

Do you want to know what do I think about your review?

Absolutely yes! Please let me know what you think about my first review :D
And please point out any incorrections if you find so, it would be very nice to me and I would appreciate it!

And let me if like it or not at all. If yes, I might do more reviews of something interesting for osu! in the future and let people know what they should consider before buying it!

And thank you guys for reading this!
Wishes
Just a question, how long do you think it takes to get used to the shorter activation distance on the silver switches? Somewhat interested in getting them but I'm so used to 2mm activation distance now.
Topic Starter
Maggot9

Wishes wrote:

Just a question, how long do you think it takes to get used to the shorter activation distance on the silver switches? Somewhat interested in getting them but I'm so used to 2mm activation distance now.

I think it depends on the person. Every person will have their own learning curve!
For me, it took around 2 days and 8 hours of playing osu. So I guess around a week or 2 at MAX.
But I would do it if only I had money and really wanted to minimize response time!
Wishes

Maggot9 wrote:

Wishes wrote:

I think it depends on the person. Every person will have their own learning curve!
For me, it took around 2 days and 8 hours of playing osu. So I guess around a week or 2 at MAX.
Oh that's interesting to hear. Thanks!
Topic Starter
Maggot9

You are welcome :) By the way, what do you think about my review? :D
Wishes

Maggot9 wrote:

You are welcome :) By the way, what do you think about my review? :D
Not bad. Maybe more on key feeling and sound would be nice. :D
Zedek117
People do a lot for a competitive edge but I always thought it was stange to buy a keyboard for osu. And there seems to be this sort of consensus that mechanical keyboards are always better despite there being high skill players that use and even prefer membrane keyboards.

I mean hell I use a Razer DeathStalker.